With Hangouts about to stop supporting SMS for God knows why, what are some viable Android alternatives?

With Hangouts about to stop supporting SMS for God knows why, what are some viable Android alternatives?

Stop being a poorfag, get an iPhone, and use iMessage.

riot/signal/isisgram

Supposedly google voice will still do sms

riot is shit and signal isn't secure, but then again you can't possibly care about privacy if you're using google products so it's a moot point

QKSMS.

I just prefer Android, I paid as much for my Android phone as one would have an iPhone..

That's interesting, Google really needs to just decide on a single app for their shit

The new Google Voice. You may also get a free Google Voice phone number. You first attach a real phone number to it and then you can delete that number and retain the Google Voice number only. They now allow for connecting the same phone to multiple Google Voice accounts. It's much better than SMS over Google Hangouts. The UI is top tier.

Apple software is not as enjoyably featured.

stop using sms gramps

I'll check that out, the main reason I liked Hangouts is because it allowed my SMS messages to go through Gmail, so I could text from my computer using a tab that I would have open anyways, will be sad if Google removes this functionality

Man, it was hard enough convincing my friends to use GroupMe instead of SMS for group messaging, I dunno if id realistically be able to switch off of SMS for everyday use

Once you create your account at voice.google.com, go to settings and enable desktop notifications. Or if your prefer, email notifications.

My chink oppo phone comes with its own generic sms app. I've always used this instead of hangouts.

Sms is a nice backup when I don't have data or wifi. They work even under one bar signal strength.

>Google Voice
>NA only

Textra

Best thing since Hangouts went full retard

Apparently I can't use Google voice because I have Project Fi

join is pretty decent and it's a one time payment of $5

so that's nice.

Seconding Textra. Even has proper group chat support and lots of customization included. Costs like $3 though

>signal isn't secure
Explain

i like this reply. this is a nice reply.

Just use the SMS app your phone came with. What does hangouts have to do with this?

facebook messenger