Home Server General - /hsg/

Home server general is a general thread to discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.
Discord: discord.gg/9vZzCYz

>hostan. installan. rebootan. crying about uptime.

Tried setting up nginx, apache? Hosting your own email or jabber? Who investing in rasomware proof append only backups?

News:
* OpenBSD working on raspberry pi now!
* remember to back your files in case you get rm -rf'd
* Update your linux kernel! The UDP PEEK bug is sicc.
* Ransomware fucks everybody over.

Other urls found in this thread:

dns.he.net
pcpartpicker.com/user/Rayor/saved/Fj4mGX
latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-07/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

personally I have given up on running jabber in my homeserver. i really liked ejabberd (it's written in erlang) but it crashed and COULD NOT figure out why at all from any of the logs. I just decided to stop running it for that reason.

How can i use a raspberry pi as a home server? What are some basic steps i should take?
Planning on using it for daily backups to a ext hdd, apache website and git server. I would also like to host a web interface for choosing music to play on my speaker system at home.
Should i get something more powerful or is an rPi enough?

yeah I think you should be able to do all of that with it. the most important thing to learn first is ssh, and I would recommend using keyfiles instead of passwords. I'm not sure what you know and what you don't though so it's hard to give much advice - fell free to ask in more detail!

(nothim) Assuming you're talking about keyfiles for SSH, it's really not neccesary if the SSH ports aren't open. People can't get in unless they're on your local network.

What kind of services are good for what im trying to do? Should i just try to make my own script for the backup thing?

>raspberry pi as a home server

for git: there are things like gogs, gitlab and so on.

but actually git can work over ssh with no web app or anything. if you like lightweight stuff, that's the best way.

Im working in eclipse, and theres a command line git plugin. Think im gonna use that.

wouldn't that be on the client, not the server?

you can still have a homeserver that you use, just bind everything to the local ip! then it's all only accessable from home network.

So I have nginx and nextcloud running on my setup, but all I'm serving is plain html containing terry davis quotes about CIA niggers and stuff. What helpful/neat/leet things can I serve instead? Also, anyone want to pentest it?

yeah that would be the client. My point was that i think im gonna use whatever service works with that client.

What would autsist think of gentoo as a server distro?

meh

My brother gave me his old PC parts. 3570K, Z77 ATX board, PSU and some DDR3. No case, though. Thinking to make a file server so I can get all hdd out of my desktop pc.

case and disk recommendations please

bleh

breh?

brehhh

Zun microsystems kek

Why is storage so expensive, I bave a lovely cheap homeserverbut I only have a 500gb HDD to it, good enough for a private server rtorrent ratio hoard machine but thats it

How would do your own mail server? DNS?

wtf is this autism

Hostan
>Plex
>Pritunl
Serving
>Pi-hole
>DDNS
>BlueIris NVR
>Internal dashboard (apache2)

Any reviews on them new synology units? No I don't want to see your POG collection or hear about freenas.

>How would do your own mail server
Probably not on a home server without a business connection. Your ISP might provide relay servers though.

Got one of them mini ITX Celeron N3150 Processor boards w/ 2 SATA ports. What would be useful to serve with this?

sysadmin really needs therapy or at least medication

its trash

he's an artist!

he's an autist

seriously, dude needs help

>Intel Atom N270, 1GB ram
wtf how does that even browse the web

>Why is storage so expensive
Storage is obscenely cheap with 10TB disks.

Mmm 400/20 wouldn't be sufficient for a personal mail server? And what do you mean by ISP relay servers?

All ISPs block smtp ports on residental connections. Thank windows exploits and spammers for that. You need a business connection to open up smtp ports. Or use the ISPs relay server.

Are you retarded?
Eclipse's git plugin is good enough.

It's not about your speed. It's about domain reputation and ability to use ports like user said. Unless you do some work you're going to be blacklisted by a lot of mail lists

My little server. Say what you will but its been running smooth as butter for several yrs now. Runs IIS (Remote Web Access/FTP), and Serviio + Built in Streaming DNLA Server. Clients get automatically backed up by the server. Server Data,Sys image, & Client backups are all backed up via Macrium Reflect Server Edition to a 8tb NAS & USB 3tb External drive

The cheapest 10TB drive is 410€, that is 250% the price of the server itself

A 10TB drive would be a good investment for use as long term archival drive. Just backup all data to it and store it somewhere offsite (a safe deposit box comes to mind). Other than that for general storage use it is kinda over priced.

Discord is shitty nonfree software that sells anything you enter

Actually the server is on my mom's house since she have 1GB FTTH and no way to use it, its a good way to keep a "remote" backup without the cloud shit, she live in a place 99% less likely to get niggered or burn

The backup I keep there is some acronis clone of my main computer main SSD without the games/music folder so its barely 25gb

I have my own backup here for the stuff I don't want to lose and my main full drive and it only takes 1.5TB

Yet, I'm sure I can get it to way less than that, with access to every private trackers there is a low amount of stuff you can't just DL again

My unlimited gogle drive with 19TB died in the last ban wave and I realize I would not miss most of it

>muh freedom

rms pls go

first for autistic NixOS prodigy

My "home server" is pretty bad. It's just two 3TB hard drives connected to my desktop PC, with about 5tb of data used. I regularly clone the drives to two other 3tb drives as my only form of backup. Most of the time if I want to access my files from another device it's sufficient to just use sftp and copy the files over the network. I've considered buying a raspberry pi to connect the drives to instead to reduce the load on my desktop PC but I don't feel like bothering. I feeling like the only thing I should invest in at this point is a third set of backups.

One day i found a job offert as sysadmin for a company running gentoo. It was on Paris ans they were doing Big data stuff

>you're going to be blacklisted by a lot of mail lists
It would be that bad ? I was thinking about buying a domaine name too and use it for a mail server and hosting a website

Do you guys avoid systemd on your servers? My file server is running Debian 7 with no systemd. I am in the process of setting up a laptop (t43p 1600x1200) to monitor the server, especially hard drive and raid array health status. I have installed antix, mostly because it is systemd-less, but it comes with so much stuff I dont want. Should I stick with Antix or go with something else? I really just want it to boot straight into a tiling wm with specific monitoring items in each window (ie terminal with htop, terminal with smart-reporting, terminal with logs, etc.)

Buy a cheap vps from lowendbox or webhostingtalk if you need a mail server. Enjoy setting up your mx records and other shit and somehow succeed in not being blacklisted by google or any other major mail provider.

i have 5x2tb in my media machine / server that are getting full and showing their age

wanna pull the trigger on a 10tb but i am too poor... storage is fucking expensive.... its never been the same since we got jewed after that thailand flood.....

my main problem with the pi for home networks is that they cant do gigabit ethernet. You can get a regular x86 PC with gigabit ethernet for basically nothing. or for a little more money you can get something like a WandBoard, which has the energy efficiency of ARM while supporting gigabit ethernet

Get spotify, netflix, crunchy roll and a job. You'll find out you will never have time to even watch a fraction of your anime. I trashed 10 hard drives ranging in 1TB to 2TB each when I realized I hoarded data for the sake of hoarding.

Well, my file server minus the hard drives was like $40. and then the hard drives were like $180

So for $220 (years ago mind you) I got a machine with gigabit ethernet, a core2 duo, and 2x 2TB WD Reds in Raid 1

How do you guys do your off-site backups? I was thinking of maybe just copying to hard-drives and keeping them in my glove-box of my truck

no because making systemd service files is much easier than writing a 1000 line init.d script.

Keep one at work maybe. Like in the drawer of your desk.

How about Devuan?

Lol, at the time (2015) I thought that 9TB (4x 3TB Raid-5) would do me a long ass time. My last server rebuild I went from 4TB to the now 9TB as well as new cpu/more ram. Flash forward to today and I've got like 340GB free. Now in fairness, it's not all my stuff on this server but my girlfriend's stuff to.

It's still more convenient as you don't need to enter your password.

Trying to set up Plex in a dorm room with FreeNAS, how the fuck do Jail IPs work?

Why can't I just make Plex listen to the port on the FreeNAS IP...

>they even have a net installer
downloading now, thanks!

How do you live without journald? The messages always come up on my terminal and ruin my work...

Any of you use Plex? How well does it work?

you install the server software on the machine your media is, you set up where are your media files and which type they are, plex will connect to the internet and retrieve metadata

you install the client/use the webclient on the machine you're using to watch

both machines need to be on the same local network unless you know how to do router fuckery for it to work on the internet

What would I need journald for?

Lynx links w3m pleb

how common is it to get hosting class internet on a residential address?

I dont need to ever write 1000 lines for a startup script

also, where the fuck did eth0, usb0, and wlan0 go?

before systemd, tethering to my laptop
>plug cell-phone into laptop
>launch wicd
>set to usb0

after systemd
>plug cell-phone into laptop
>run ifconfig as fucking superuser
>copy u078b976s
>launch wicd
>paste u078b976s into it

also after systemd
>nfs machine isnt turned on
Whelp now my fucking DESKTOP wont boot

Also
>hurr lets scan some random network interface for 60 seconds every fucking time the machine gets booted

Is there a pastebin or a link that has literature on home servers all in one place?

Hardware:

Dell PowerEdge T410
Dual Xeon 5660 (6c/12t)
64gb RAM
6 4TB WD RE4 / 8 1TB Hitachi 7200RPM laptop spindles / 4 500GB SanDisk cloud SSD / 2 64GB Intel SSD (Mirror, OS)
2 Dell H200 SAS controller / Dell H700 RAID controller (for RE4s)
AMD Firepro V5900 (for RemoteFX stuff)

Provides:
Plex
Active directory
TFS / Git
Sharepoint
WSUS / WDS
And a pair of VMs for the phones to jump into via Continuum.

Mpd

Lol just setup openvpn and plex so you can access your home server anywhere and stream over tls. You could even do it with ssh -L.

>he uses Windows as a server operating system

Just bought a domain with namecheap. Intent is to setup xmpp server for friends using prosody. Does anyone know how to associate domain with public ip?

dns.he.net

Here's a free DNS service. You point your domain's nameservers (custom) to HE's nameservers then set up an A record to your public IP.

A record with @ as host? What about a sub domain like muc.domain.com? Do i need url redirects for domain.com to www. ?

Just do multiple A records.

If 100.0.0.0 is your IP,

example.com is the name
100.0.0.0 is the IPv4
3600 is the TTL

Just put in all your subdomains for example.com

ubutntu on a netbook so i can print wireless (pic)
i also use it to ssh into my network

OMV on my microserver for NAS things/ backup / tranmission
I was going to try freenas, but the only USB keyboard I had didn't work with the install.

If it's all pointing to the same IP, you can also do a CNAME record from subdomain.example.com to example.com

Ok that makes sense. Cheers.

How do I find free or cheap hardware for storing my anime on the network.

are there mobile applications that interface nicely with mpd?

There's a couple mpd apps on fdroid. I personally haven't tried them but could be alright.

YOU wouldn't believe it but i actually hoard shit that has some intrinsic value. Like my quarter inch 15ips R2R and record collection ripped to 24/192 and few more terabytes of high quality DSD vinyl rips rips from my Russian Bros that only have nominally one or two seeds....

Audio dudes are totally justified in hoarding - but anime is always pure degenerancy - the NEET to seed ratio and Asian symmetrical fibre is high with that bunch.....

I see. Thanks. I wonder if any clean solutions exist for streaming music outside a local network to mobile devices. Is mpd the best bet?

How's my list? pcpartpicker.com/user/Rayor/saved/Fj4mGX
The primary purposes are to operate as a NAS and Plex/Emby server capable of transcoding at least two videos at once. I also want to experiment with VMs and running various web server stacks.
I don't have a closet or anything like that I could just throw the box in so I tried to take reasonable steps to keep it relatively quiet.

What OS would you all recommend for running a NAS/seedbox/Plex server? I hear FreeNAS 10 is broken af, so I'm currently sitting at 9

Usb Flash drive seems overkill
Why not 4tb has instead of 1s?

>Usb Flash drive seems overkill
The flash drive is so I can boot in to a live distro to backup the SSD during downtime.
>Why not 4tb has instead of 1s?
I don't really know what you mean by this. the five 1TB drives would be in a RAID 5 array, and the 4TB drive would be to backup the array.

I had an old computer (from vista era) that I was using as a server. I used it to back up a few files, used it to share a few things with friends via FTP (some softwares, games, songs...)
We also used it to host a few things, like a website and test new things.

Now that my city is finally putting the fiber, I'll be able to have a good connection and I want to have my own cloud system.
What I wanted to do :

>buy a domain name
>be able to host a website for a friend that likes to play on my server and try new languages / frameworks / whatever he likes
>give my friends a place so they can use it as a back up system with FTP
>have a directory shared by all users or one per user so each user have a private and public place.
>have a directory with all my music
>be able to stream it to my android phone.
>eventually give my friends the ability to do so if they wants.

For storage I plan on having 2x 1TB hdd in raid just in case one die and I'll buy more HDD if I need to.

What kind of hardware should I look at ? I target something silent and that do not consume much energy (I don't think I'll need something powerful).

Owncloud/ nextcloud are pretty solid

Honest question, what do you really need a nice home server setup for?
I have a cheap ass NAS that I use for backup, torrenting and as a plex server, couldn't think of anything more you would need at home.

My family's setup:
>WINDOWS SERVER 2012 R2 for file storage
>Raspberry Pi 3 b as a PiHole and maybe, someday, as an e-mail server.

Not uncommon for file-sharing and active directory.

Nextcloud is so goddamn slow at loading the gallery. Other than that its cool.

I wouldn't recommend Nextcloud/Owncloud to anyone after the whole security scan thing. Basically they scanned the internet for outdated versions and then reported those IP's to some government agency which send notices to ISPs leading to some people being forced to shut off their instances. You can listen to a guy on the Nextcloud team squirm 50 minutes into this: latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-07/.

I run 2 servers on my old mac mini.
I installed ESXi on it and it now hosts my ownCloud and my pi-hole.

Both are backed up with veeam backup & replication. Thank god I was gifted a nfr license

Works perfectly fine

internal external
size cost $/TB size cost $/TB
1 30 $30TB .75 43 $57.3
2 45 $22TB 1 48 $48
2.5 50 $20TB 2 60 $30
3 70 $23TB 3 80 $26.7
4 120 $30TB 4 109 $27.5
5 145 $29TB 5 130 $26
6 160 $27TB 6 150 $25
8 300 $37.5TB 8 200 $25
10 410 $41TB 12 400 $30
16 500 $31.25

these were pulled from microcenter 2 days ago

Wow.

Good move, when you break up you can hold her data hostage

Reddit homelab or something

Where do I get cheap server pulls? I'm working with a fucking poorfag T61s I salvaged from the dump which does NAS with old laptop drives connected SATA-USB. It also runs my OpenConnect VPN service and OpenVPN, mpd, and print services. It also provides wakeonlan (saving muh power) to my workstation (which still runs Phenom II) which I use x2go to jump into for accelerating engineering tasks (mostly molecular dynamics), it also runs a Windows VM viewable through VNC for CAD and ANSYS work.

Poorfaggotry has gone too far I suppose.