/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PaxZgsdh-ac
hyperbola.info/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install SourceMage

First for install devuan.

Hello, my friends.

Is there any point to using a Linux operating system as your home desktop when pretty much any and all programs today, such as video games, cater exclusively to Windows?

Not trolling; sincere question for someone who has nothing but a shitty laptop the military forced on me, is saving up to build a gaming PC, but would really love to learn to use a Linux operating system soon.

Vanilla linux contains propierary code doesnt it? so how can you use it for secure systems like tails?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>cater exclusively to Windows
wrong

If you play only games that have a native gnu+linux port (especially those available from stem) it's better to use gnu+linux to avoid the annoyances of windows like ransomware, forced upgrades etc.

STOP REPLYING

Remember kids, never trust proprietary AI youtube.com/watch?v=PaxZgsdh-ac

Again, not trolling.

It's a legitimate question - I've seen this thread multiple times, but not even the OP that serves as a FAQ answers the "why for your main desktop?"

Should I install 32 bit or 64 bit?

if you can 64 definitely go for it, assuming you did check your computer supports it

for your persistance
1) the ONLY thing windows has the edge on is specific applications. Games run under wine decently for the most part, not all ill say.
2)freedom. I can do whatever i want with my machine, on windows you cant. Thats more than just being open source and not spying but also encouraging the user to do what they want.
3. Its actually free. Yes i have a windows licence, but i prefer to do everything i want on my gnu linux install. Its that i can do stuff way faster with the cli than i can on windows.
4. rice. Honestly windows looks so average after using cinnamon with my theme for a few days.
5. Productivity isnt hindered. I can do everything i could on windows (code and draw) rather the same if not better (a free drawing programme is actually better than photoshop / illustrator imo). and i can use atom just the same. Then you have stuff like emacs and vim which im pretty sure run on windows anyway.
Why wouldnt you use gnu linux is the better question. I dont game, so theres no reason for me. I have windows left over only for incase i ever do need it. Probably the only complaint i have is that theres no decent dac. but every other program is there. Oh and also the installation is faster, easier and more secure than windows anyway

my personal opinions anyway

lscpu

bumping from previous thread

I uninstalled eclipse but it left behind "open jdk monitoring and management" so i think ill uninstall it even thoguh yum didnt (even with autoremove) but that leaves me questioning, what else could it have left behind and what can i do to keep my system clean from stuff i dont need?

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mis take in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Is reducing the role of systemd to that of a udev providor as good as just deleting it entireley?

in fact, to add to this i just checked my history list and it seems that certain uninstalled software isnt even removing everything.

>yum
found your problem

I appreciate this. Like you alluded to, gaming is the biggest draw for people like me still being on Windows.

You could just install a distro alongside windows or find an old hard drive and install it on that. Not to bash you but gaming in general is in such a crap state right now that its not even worth following anything, and also any multiplayer game either runs natively (dota2, csgo, tf2) or runs well in wine (lol, bf1, overwatch (i believe)). Plus gnu/ linux has exclusives of its own like tux racer extreme

what should i use over yum, its deprecated to dnf or something isnt it? why is it still included then?

never worked for me for stuff like exactly what you find, good luck though, hope you find a solution

>install linux
>no games
>no software
>he shills it for free
>Is a cuck
Lmao

That's why you should install GNU.

>lying about having no games
>lying about having no software
fucking telemarketers, microsoft must pay good money to shitpost on Sup Forums

Why do you reply? Are you braindead?

What is a good music player for the GNU+Linux distribution called "Xubuntu", which is a variant of the GNU+Linux distribution called "Ubuntu" with the DE (Desktop environment) "XFCE"?

Keep getting cucked by alpha windows users who have games to play.

lollypop or gnome music since youre using a joke distro

>muh videogames!
This phrase indicates the windows users' confusion. When met with something they can't understand they shout "Muh vidya" or "Muh working OS muthaucka"
This is followed by getting 200 viruses and their data stolen.

GUI or CLI?
GUI:
deadbeef comes close to foobar2k
CLI:
beginner friendly: moc
advanced cool guy: mpd+ncmpcpp
quantum gallium hacker: urandom/aplay
idgaf: mpv

can't get my dell dw1510 working on tahrpup, any help?

It's not a joke distro if you have a toaster

enjoy ur ransomware

Is there any way to delet botnetd without fucking up everything on xubuntu?

yes it is, compare xfce's system resource usage to cinnamon for example. LXDE is the true lightweight DE. furthermore using something like i3 or openbox would be way more lightweight

vrms -s | xargs sudo apt-get purge

adding even further, i cant even find a package name for this, and nothing shows up with yum extender.

trying too hard to fit in user.

Enjoy 1% market share, cuck.

How am i supposed to open moc?

ok i found the package by going back through the menu shortcuts. Its java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.111-1.b16.fc25.x86_64 but specifically jconsole i think. I tried removing it but the amount of dependants it has is actually quite high, i wonder why this is happening, that eclipse installs some random thing that it doesnt remove and it seems to intergrate itself.

type in terminal mopc
inside the terminal type "?" to see a list of commands

This was surprisingly convoluted.
So it's an inside-the-terminal software, sorta like aptitude.
Figured that much when I couldn't find an icon for it.
But I couldn't for the life of me figure out what should I type in.

trust me after that is more than easy, type the question mark for the list and see for yourself

I use this command in a function to check what's eating storage.

How do I modify du to show only files? No directories.

# Lists the $1 heavier files and directories and stores them in a file. Takes two arguments. How many entries are listed and the block size. Second argument can be ommited.
heavy() {
du -ah --block-size=$2M . | sort -n -r | head -n $1 > HeavyFiles.txt &
}

If I remove "a", it shows only directories. Any way of making it show only files?
du -ah

Halp me boys, what do i do? After update i started getting this error
[quote]ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")
[/quote]

By the way, where it says "detach from the server" means you can keep the music running in the background without having open the terminal, i like what mpd+ncppmmpmpn does without the fuckery of configuration.

Im impressed with gnu/ linux, its the only thing thats ever confirmed my gpu. Windows says HD7900 series, speccy says hd7900 series, the cooler on the gpu says hd7900 series. But gnu/ linux says hd7970/8970/280x. Only time ive ever known (and known i wasnt swindled). Good job linus

Halp me boys, what do i do? After update i started getting this error
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")

df -h

I bet your root has 0 bytes of free space

Anyone know how it looks with ARM?
sauce?
>1% market share, cuck.
so what?
>microsoft must pay good money to shitpost on Sup Forums
i hope its just goims...

use find -type d instead of the dot

>....
What did he mean by this?

He ask for df -h, why that screenshot? Are you trolling?

What's the best way to read the man pages?

I think there was some sort of website with no nonsense that improved the comprehension greatly. Was it a dream?

that is root, if you look it has 10% free
there is no difference between that and df

>0-5:00
cool, OPEN/GNU propaganda.
>5:00-7:00
shit next goim.....
GNU/Emacs

the issue with linux is that the user has too much choice and software is too splintered. Do you really need 100 media player variants? no. you need one. This is where windows will always be better; it guides the user and gives them the definitive software they need. You dont need 100 DE, you need one. Imagine if everybodies computer ran custom i3 or openbox; it would be a catastrophy changin from one pc to the other, the workflow would be nonexsistant.

did you hear about Ubuntu|SUSE?
gentoo is not only distribution.

Ok. I got it. Thanks.

# Finds and sorts by size the $1 heavier files.
find . -type f -exec du -ah --block-size=1M {} + | sort -n -r | head -n $1 > HeavyFiles.txt &

# Finds and sorts by size the $1 heavier directories and files.
find . -type d -exec du -ah --block-size=1M {} + | sort -n -r | head -n $1 > HeavyFiles.txt &

Where $1 is a integer (say, 50).

a big part of linux is the customisation, so it suits everyone. 1 DE would not suit all - some are designed for low end PCs, others full of nice graphics and animations, which would be unsuitable for low end hardware. it's all about choice and doing things how you like it, so it cannot be one size fits all.

I need one DE only. One that Microsoft never touched.

>Linux as a personal Operating System

JESUS CHRIST. You might as well use DOS. Linux is good for servers and nothing else.

>tfw I just backup my files and install a new version of my OS instead of upgrading through the OS so I don't end up with a fucked up upgrade

Am I just being paranoid?

or make it so animations can be turned off.

>backup files
>upgrade
>doesnt work? reinstall with that backup
??

Is there a button in KDE plasma that says: "I'm fuck done customizing stop showing me al these goddamn options everywhere"

What is the best way to setup volume keys with i3 window manager? I tried something with xbindkeys but it allowed going above 100% which triggers my OCD

>as well use DOS
DOS is proprietary so.... no.
>and nothing else.
thats why android exist.

if you are too dumb to switch you could just live your live, not spamming 4chanEliteBread

what do you mean? post print screen

>new version of my OS
>not using rolling distro
you mean ''lock widgets'?
right-click on desktop if so

I don't want to miss on a not-so-obvious problem after upgrading. At least with a straight-up new install, I don't need to worry about it.

I don't care about having the absolute most current versions of software.

What do you need that linux doesn't have.
It's perfectly fine if you don't need extravagant shit. But if you do need that, you can afford windows and all the software you need.

>freedos

I'm using xbindkeys like so: "amixer set Master 1024+ unmute". Doesn't go over 100% in i3wm for me.

install ncdu
quote ur variables
GNU/Linux*

What is ncdu and why should I use it?

he mean Gentoo.
Gentoo is systemD-free&&source&&Community-based GNU/Linux distribution that give to User full Choice||Freedom

>deadbeef comes close to foobar
No, it doesn't you retard. At least inform yourself about the software you recommend before doing so, instead of just parroting what you hear.
Deadbeef doesn't even have a library feature.

There are more media player variants for Windows than for Linux distributions.

Linux is a kernel and it doesn't care if it runs on a "server". "Server" is a buzzword which doesn't mean anything. If I run an FTP server on my laptop it's suddenly a server.

That has nothing to do with your window manager or xbindkeys. One managers windows, the other keybinds.
What changed your volume and made it go above 100% (which is apparently not clearly defined and doesn't mean anything) is what you should look into. You most likely used the Pulseaudio CLI, pactl.
Solutions are described all over the internet, but someone else spoonfed you already and wasted precious internet kilobytes in this thread.

So i was trying to install a wine game
but got a weird nvidea bug
so i searched for the fix and found only this

The fix:
FPUCW 0A7F -> FPUCW 027F during first call to IDirect3DDevice::SetFVF(), resetting the rounding mode to default, when the relevant context is created. Or the entire code block that is called at th123_102.41DAD7 can also be wrappered by this.
The fix in the DLL is incomplete at this time, it'll still freeze sometimes. Need to put a wrapper on a lot more d3d calls/threads than I have at this time. (I would just find and kill the 0A7F completely, except netplay synchronization is an issue.)

I don't understand a fucking word

its ment for devs to read not end users. you can't do anything about it

Installed Gentoo, neofetch doesn't show the ASCII, what do?

>priorities

It's under the «Resolved bugs» header

install gentoo

>redditfetch

i also hate the term server because i can even run my 3ds as a server (albeit a pretty shit one).

i usually dont side with spamposters but this guy is right. neofetch is shit bloat for people who do nothing.

What's a lightweight and good compositor I can use for openbox? I plan to gayme on this PC as well with the AMD drivers

What is screenfetch god for?
I use it to check the ram, but does it have other uses?
(Besides showing off the cool specs and shit)

what a pointless question. it does one thing so why ask whats its good for. most distros have a built in speccy anyway. i know ubuntu and fedora do anyway

i need help about terminal text colorization. is there a standard way?

hyperbola.info/

Fuck off shill. Install Hyperbola (when it's ready)