/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Women in tech edition

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jXhXDzyRH_A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-cloning_theorem
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8040529
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's her name?

At least the trannies have decided to be more realistic about their appearance instead of pretending they're anime girls

reminder that most women can't program for shit and they don't even want to do it

I reported a vulnerability for the second time.
The first time was to Debian, and they just ignored the fuck out of me.

>her

Did you just assume xheir gender?

Fucking horrifying, tbqh

Check out my sweet OC /dpt/.

Also, ask a Google intern anything.

Matthew

>transphobes itt
Daily reminder she's made more for the industry than all of us put together will ever do.

Source pls!

>lollinux
enjoy your massively fragmented ecosystem with literal amateurs maintaining your distros

Considering ML like languages, is the ATS one with best c interface and most platforms supported?
The syntax looks like shit, though.

Creating a new class of machines superior to Turing machines. Don't know what I'll name them though.

Can't hear you over the sound of ETERNAL BLUE pwning your proprietary kernel.

>tfw no cute crossdressing Sup Forums user to pair program complex algorithms with

Nice bait. How do I learn how to shitpost like you?

does google hire all the technically competent women? there's all sorts of qts giving talks on youtube but they're only ever from google.

Sup Forums, does programming have any practical use in your daily life? I'm learning JavaScript and I can't see myself ever using this outside of Web design.

>Web "design"
Use

google doesn't look for the most technically competent people just normies who will fit in with the company culture

youtube.com/watch?v=jXhXDzyRH_A

how about anime machines?

that explains why google ui is shit

convention would advise you use your last name

>superior
That already exists though. They're called quantum Turing machines.

Programming is useful because it makes things that were already easy even easier, and once the things that were already easy become trivial enough, you can use them to start to make things that were hard easier. This process repeats indefinitely, yielding exponential growth of what you can do with a computer.

Good idea.
I would like to remain anonymous.

Hatsu Kokuhaku. There's a whole genre dedicated to this shit on Batoto and I love it.

It's a crushing feeling every day.

I haven't met that many female interns but one of the "class" teachers at our orientation was a woman and she seemed really knowledgeable. The one female intern I met was a graduate level intern doing something with TensorFlow. Google's pretty heavy on the affirmative action though, so that might not be an average sample.

But still, despite that, most people in my office by far are male and most are from the continent of Asia (lots of asians and to a lesser extent Indians).

Well, it's a hobby for me, but I actually do my homework with it all the time, especially in math/physics.

I would agree most people in my office are kind of "normie" but they're the smart kind that can have a conversation about, say, economics and such. I haven't met a dumb person yet, but I don't actually work with any other interns. I'm sure there are nerdy types like me all over the place as well. There's an anime club in MTV.

what's their culture? my impression is everyone younger than 40 are over achieving competitive chinks who would be a nightmare to work with. Then a small handful of 100x greybeards who actually create the company's value.

>create machine superior to quantum turing machines
>you can't improve on the substrate because it's already pretty much as good as it'll get, what with being quantum and all
>instead you improve on the machine's structure
>the model you eventually arrive at is really unpredictable and scary and you think it might explode
>it does
>shit
>fuck now there's a universe
>shit
>balls

Will Kotlin do to Java what Swift did to objective C Sup Forums?

kotlin is fucking ugly, I don't know why it's being pushed so hard

hey /dpt/ can you do my homework?
>Given the source code of a C program & a set of inputs, program a C application that will determine whether the given code will crash with the given inputs.

Fun fact: a quantum turing machine + the ability to clone a quantum state can simulate the evolution of an ordinary quantum turing machine over time T, in log(T) time.

undecidable

Pay me first

>why it's being pushed so hard
Where? On ribbit?

Create a software abomination of mixed languages interoperating that doubles the number of languages you need to learn for a given project? Absolutely. Until 10 years pass and everyone's united under one or the other.

>the ability to clone a quantum state
I don't know much about this, but isn't that supposed to be impossible, since when you measure the state the probability distribution collapses?

i'm not doing this for you but here's a tip as to how you'd do it:
>compile the source code
>run the resulting program in a separate process with the given inputs
>monitor the process

Entanglement.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

Indeed, it's impossible according to the currently understood laws of physics, which is why a regular quantum turing machine can't simulate itself with an exponential speedup. But you could imagine that you had a magic box that could clone a state.

Programming in a real language is useful, I build small tools to speed up what I'm doing constantly.

Of course if you're learning Javascript, you probably just want to make webpages.

THAT FACT IS AN ABOMINATION AGAINST GOOD SENSE AND I DEMAND IT STOP BEING TRUE THIS INSTANT

Two days ago I decided to learn C for fun, and because I learn better through doing, I decided to try my hand at making a text based adventure game, easy as pie right? its all basically scanf and printf, but 10 lines in I run into the issue of not being able to get the console to read back a simple name and I dont understand why It only reads until the first space.

#include

int main()
{
char name;

printf("Enter a name:\n" , name);
scanf("%s" , &name);
printf("Your name is %s?\n" , &name);

}

and

user@anon ~/Documents/Coding $ ./a.out
Enter a name:
Benjamin Michael Mc'Dickhead
Your name is Benjamin?

It doesnt print "Michael Mc'Dickhead"... wat do?

So far everyone at my office has been really chill and helpful.

That's a move, not a copy.
Baka.

i hope you die in a car accident

i'm trying to make a solver for that X problem in a true oop style. did i do it right? it doesn't seem right to me. i would rather have 3 functions without classes.
class Board
{
public Board(int lineLength)
{
board = new char[lineLength, lineLength];
for (int i = 0; i < lineLength; i++)
{
board[i, i] = '*';
board[i, lineLength - 1 - i] = '*';
}
}

public char[,] board { get; }
}

sealed class BoardHelper
{
public static int GetLength()
{
int lineLength;
while (true)
{
Console.Write("Enter the line length: ");
string input = Console.ReadLine();
if (Int32.TryParse(input, out lineLength))
{
return lineLength;
}
}
}

public static void PrintBoard(char[,] board)
{
for (int i = 0; i < Math.Sqrt(board.Length); i++)
{
for (int j = 0; j < Math.Sqrt(board.Length); j++)
{
Console.Write(board[i, j]);
}
Console.WriteLine();
}
}
}

Not with that attitude.

See also:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-cloning_theorem

Also worth mentioning is that cloning a state would allow you to send information both FTL and back in time.

How will imperatards and oopsies ever recover?

Why, user?

I see, thanks.

And I enjoy rubbing my dick, but that's still not doing anything productive.

Enjoy academia.

Man, i just learned how to work with the gui and its really made programming a lot more interesting
Im having fun
I feel like a pimp

You need a char array silly.

so you're an M?

I'm not a tarp or a grill, if that's what you're asking.

scanf %s specifier:
"Any number of non-whitespace characters, stopping at the first whitespace character found. A terminating null character is automatically added at the end of the stored sequence."

use fgets() or fread()

you are an autistic nigger-dick mentally ill tosser who loves cartoons for little girls

u smel like pic relted

It's an improvement over Java imo.

>char name
That should be a char*

Okay, first is that you're declaring the name variable as a single char, rather than an array of char. That SHOULD crash on the first call that reads or writes to it, though it looks like you just got lucky. So replace the declaration of name with char name[128];.

Second, there's no need to pass name to the first printf, since it doesn't actually use the name string.

Finally, replace your scanf call with gets(&name); since scanf treats whitespace as a delimiter, and so will only read the first word rather than a whole string, Gets() on the other hand reads until the newline character.

Also you should add "return 0;" to the bottom of your main function, otherwise the exit status of your program might be undefined.

your face looks like pic related

more like char[]

lol

scanf separates by space, i.e. one %s will only read up to the first space, which is why only "benjamin" is getting read

u smel like pic relted

I also have a job at Google, so I guess things turned out okay.

Enjoy your ban, I suppose.

Still doesn't allocate any storage though. You're almost guaranteed a segfault. You should do char *name = malloc(128); or char name[128];. I'd suggest the latter, using malloc for something this trivial is literally overkill. Also for initializing constant strings you can do char *s = "Hello There!"; or char s[] = "Hello There!";, but both of those make the string read-only.

IT ARE FAT DANCING BRAZLIAN MAN WITH TINY WINKLE

its not a ban its a vacation from this faggotland
bye niggers lol

explain this pic. is the ampersand supposed to be a turd?

Enjoy you are band

u smel like pic relted

this user knows what's up. this place is really a faggoty waste of time.

alright, so "gets" grabs the input and assigns it to &name? and when I made all your changes i get the following error

user@anon ~/Documents/Coding $ cc MyGame.c
MyGame.c: In function ‘main’:
MyGame.c:8:3: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘get’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
get(&name);
^~~
/tmp/cc2gzywS.o: In function `main':
MyGame.c:(.text+0x1a): undefined reference to `get'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

not true, you can fuck with char[] in C. C doesn't have constness

eyes :
lips ()
neck and shoulders {
nipples :
crossed arms |
second pair of nipples :
pubic hair &
tiny winkle }
straight leg and bent leg ;
feet :

u smel like pic relted

>second pair of nipples :
what did the mean by this?

>C doesn't have constness
int main() {
int const a = 4;
a = 5;
return 0;
}

compile this code pls

the man in the picture is brazilian
does that answer your question

It's gets, not get.

Wrong. C has a const keyword now, though it really only means "read-only" (you can still modify it by hacking around with pointers). But string literals are allowed to be stored in a read-only section, which means trying to modify them puts you at risk of segfault. char str[] = "Hello There"; does NOT mean "create a char array in the current scope and copy a string literal into it", it literally just means "create a pointer in the current scope and set it to point at this string literal stored elsewhere in memory".

u smel like pic relted

yes i suppose

My mistake then. I guess I was thrown off by the fact that C++ warns you to declare a string literal as const.

I didn't know that a.out would run if you get an error while compiling, I did put gets, t works as intended, Thanks!

At least you don't have to specify input parameter name when calling functions in Kotlin.

>char str[] = "Hello There"; does NOT mean "create a char array in the current scope and copy a string literal into it", it literally just means "create a pointer in the current scope and set it to point at this string literal stored elsewhere in memory".
You're thinking of char *str = "Hello There";
If you declare an array, it makes an array.

With jvm you use any language that can compile to java bytecode. The language might need it's own runtime library but by my experience you can just include the jar and be done with it. Of course it add into executable size, for example kawa scheme's runtime library adds like 2mb extra. Still it's platform where you can use many languages easily together.

Why having other languages use libraries from other languages with native libraries is so hard?
The only language that can easily be used is C. Of course exporting C like interface from other languages is possible but they almost always require you to init the GC and quit the QC and it's really ugly.
Why isn't there a language that doesn't have gc, doesn't name mangle but let's you use modern language features while exporting such interface that the libraries could be used from other languages as easily as C libraries?

In that case you got an error at the linking stage, so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get an executable. More likely the a.out is left over from a previous compile.

What language/program should I be using to make a GUI for my C++ and python programs?

>Why isn't there a language that doesn't have gc, doesn't name mangle but let's you use modern language features while exporting such interface that the libraries could be used from other languages as easily as C libraries?
I don't use it but maybe Rust?
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8040529

Does it? I thought type identifier[] was just syntactic sugar for type *identifier[]. I know that when you define a function argument as the first style it just expects a pointer. Also seems like it would wreak havoc with VLAs.

u smel like pic relted

prove him wrong
protip you cant