Why did MATE ("mah-TAY") suddenly become one of the most popular desktop environments that receives nothing but praise...

Why did MATE ("mah-TAY") suddenly become one of the most popular desktop environments that receives nothing but praise? Less than two years ago nobody was talking about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3e3q8n/is_there_a_technical_reason_why_gtk3_is_better/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>("mah-TAY")
then spell it Maté
because you're wrong, mate
And no one cares about maté

It's perfect for the mid range computers of the early 2010's

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 it 8/8 pls no h8

I think it's just because Ubuntu Mate is now the best *buntu variation.

i pronounce it like m8

grah-Tay bah-Tay mah-Tay, I rah-Tay ah-Tay/ah-Tay

it just werks

that, and low footprint

believe it or not, when Microsoft thought of the start menu in 1995, they thoroughly tested and researched the concept for the WIMP interface. for once it's where good research and implementation results in something useful

Weird thing is MATE users are not that common in Sup Forums, it seems like most folks here uses XFCE for some reason

>one of the most popular desktop environments
It isn't. It's a very loud minority that for some reason like inferior shit. It's an ugly, bug ridden wannabe Xfce.

I use it because it became the default DE for OpenSolaris (aka the best OS you can install today)

>it seems like most folks here uses XFCE
is that like that nowadays? I remember maybe 1 year ago everything revolved around Cinnamon and I actually tried it out. All good DEs.

Xfce is as lightweight as a standalone wm
fucking this, MATE and Xfce should just merge and ditch the rivalry

Dumb tripfag, kys

>I have no arguments so I'll just tell him to fuck off ecks dee

>inferior shit
>actually gets updates
Where is your GTK3 and Hidpi support user? Name me one thing xfce can and mate can't.

>Name me one thing xfce can and mate can't.
have intelligent users, be used as a shell for a wm, be lightweight and be modular as fuck.

Sup Forums is Xfce board now get out

>tfw too stupid to use deprecated software

>not using the unstable branch
its almost like you hate yourself.

I like mate
It's simple, familiar, doesn't get in the way, it's low on resources and looks nice
I don't need a ton of features so it works for me

Because a lot of people liked GNOME 2 and they hate GNOME 3, so they forked GNOME 2 and gave it a pretentious new name.

When I was using it people made fun of me and made m8 jokes so I switched to Arch.

they're still trying to port their whole thing to GTK3 when MATE already did. They're coming from way behind and there's no point of using it except muh 100Mib extra RAM

name one benefit of gtk3, everything looks worse and all the buttons are fuckhueg for no reason

>pretentious

It's named after a South American tea and the apps have Spanish names like pluma and caja. I think the devs are just South Americans, maté.

Everything you just said is wrong and you should feel bad for saying it.

>not using OpenIndiana

So...does this work butter smooth OOTB? On XFCE I had to install Compton but after that it just werkd. Why should I switch from XFCE to Mate?

If GTK3 is really that bad, why XFCE team is trying to port their everything to it since 2013?
Note that 2013 was the year MATE created and they already have full GTK3 support.
also bonus reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3e3q8n/is_there_a_technical_reason_why_gtk3_is_better/

>does this work butter smooth OOTB?
yes

>all that has been mentioned already plus better software support.

mate should just merge with Xfce imo, they could build something both lightweight and good if they did. BUT THE FUCKING DEVS JUST DECIDE NOT TO AND CREATE A SHIT RIPOFF

they have completely different lineages though

xfce can't be beat in features and resource usage

>It's named after a South American tea and the apps have Spanish names like pluma and caja. I think the devs are just South Americans, maté.
no, they're fucking hipsters my guy. You could just name shit appropiately like Xfce does
I'd guess so, their start menu a shit and compiz is there. You shouldn't senpai, also latest xfce doesn't need compton just a sync to vblank tick in the compositor settings
ik but it'd be nice to see similar projects unite

>xfce can't be beat in features and resource usage

wtf, is mate more lightweight then?

too bad no one cares about your opinion, maybe if you stop calling a fork "shit ripoff" maybe people care about your opinion more
XFCE was a mistake since GNOME2 days. We had two lightweight GTK DEs for years (lxde and xfce). If there was no XFCE GNOME and LXDE would be better place today.

???
you think this world would be better without lightweight DEs, that's some autism right there my guy. GNU/Linux is usually known for restoring old shit to speedy shit, LXDE, LXQT, Xfce, and OpenBox all help this process immensely and you are a fucktard
its heavier, its GNOME2 but grossly green and unthemeable

you think MATE team should stop whatever they're doing so they can work on less popular project; I'm not saying lightweight DEs are bad, but if there's a team that should stop whatever they're doing, It's XFCE. All they do is being behind of MATE for 3 years.

> It's XFCE. All they do is being behind of MATE for 3 years.
tell me, other than GTK3 what does mate have over Xfce? fucking nothing thats all, and I suggested they both merge, so they get the quality lightweight code from Xfce over to GTK3 faster you dumbfuck. This is why linux is gonna die sooner or later, they both have the same motives but dont wanna merge because they're all autistic.

Because is the 10.10:the rebirth.

>gnome2
>ugly

Yeap. But ubuntu mate is heavier than xubuntu

nigga literally nothing you said is true people always liked it. It wasn't a "sudden" thing.

then why don't we just merge chromium with firefox, and create a browser that is fast as chromium, and has addons of both firefox and chromium?
Oh, i remember, because we aren't playing yu-gi-oh
Both of the projects are open source. Both can borrow projects from each other. But it's pointless, both of them have lots of applications and thousands of different code. For example Thunar is a very lightweight file manager, but it doesn't has features Caja has. Mate wants create a DE that is functional as GNOME3 and provide GNOME2 looks, XFCE just wants to be lightweight. If any of the team wants to use each others code they can easily, they don't need to be merged. I can't see your point.

Because it's not a big, bloated, buggy, and overly complicated piece of shit like most other DEs and it just works out of the box on every distro I've tried it with, from Fedora to Debian to Ubuntu to Arch. It has sane defaults, the included apps are nice, and it's fast even on 10 year old hardware.

I use MATE and LXDE. XFCE is for neckbeards.

Are you kidding? Openbox with Tint2 uses half the RAM that Xfeces does.

xfce users are retards, either use lxde or use a gdk de

>less than 2 years ago
>Sup Forums told me to install Mint with MATE in 2011
>exactly 6 years ago

Is it summer already?

>tfw just tried Ubuntu MATE on live CD
>tfw screen tearing like OOTB XFCE
alright, back to my screen-free XFCE experience.

Real talk though, KDE seems nice but what is application availability like since it's the only environment using the engine? Or is it using GTK3?

What's all this faggotry about XFCE being faster than MATE? Utter bullshit, son. If there's any difference it's minimal. I've run both on laptop I refurbished with a 256GB SSD and you honestly can't tell a difference unless you get out the stopwatch. If you like XFCE...fine, use the fucker. Enjoy it. I use MATE for stability, speed, and it's familiar windows layout. It absolutely fucking works. The other user that claimed it's filled with bugs is talking out his ass.

UNIRONICALLY AGREE WITH THIS. Maté should be it's official spelling. How do I bully the Devs into changing the name? being free software and all, they should let me have my say.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercorrection

they'll let you have you're say, tell you it's wrong, and remind you that you're welcome to fork it under a new name

Anyone have an answer for this? If I install a GNOME program would it look like it belongs in KDE or would it be shit and require a ton of dependencies?

KDE is GTK right?

no, KDE uses QT (opposed to GTK), it always has
KDE has functionality to integrate GTK software appearance-wise as much as it can, so GTK things won't look terribly out of place
please also note that GTK isn't exclusive to Gnome, either, though with Gnome controlling GTK3, they're certainly treating it like it is

So if I installed Kubuntu and some applications were in GTK, it wouldn't look too horrible? I'm just concerned that a ton of crap is written in GTK and i'll have a ton of dependencies to deal with if I move from XFCE/GTK

XFCE is the lightest ricer and retard friendly DE that comes as a stock option in most distros.

i haven't personally used KDE since 3.5.x, so i'm not sure what the details are for KDE4/5

It'll be just fine.

If you add Tint2 it's no longer just a WM but a hackjob DE. Still it's the heaviest WM out there and still uses a tenth of the RAM Xfeces uses.
You know that every time you post with that trip people are going to judge you not by your post but by your past retardation? Probably not, you're retarded after all.

I use MATE user.

Nope, it's spelled mate, not maté. Because it's pronounced mate, not maté.

KDE is lighter than Xfce and MATE these days.

MATE is still fucking solid though

>KDE is lighter

MATE is a unstable inferior fork of GNOME 2.
Of the lightweight DEs: Original GNOME 2 (now deprecated) > XFCE > LXDE > MATE

the most wrong thing i have read today

Gnome 3 debacle

I'd like to interject for a moment, as someone who drinks mate regularly, it should be pronounced with a tonal first syllable, "MAH-tay".

ma8te

Not that other guy but I'll take KDE over every DE I've tried. Love the look, feel, and shit like Ktorrent works beautifully.

it's so much more than that. It's a working, rock solid, aesthetic, far more customizable cinnamon based on guhnome 2 instead of 3.

lol