Is developer bootcamp worth it? I was thinking about going to one, but not sure if it will land me a career or not

Is developer bootcamp worth it? I was thinking about going to one, but not sure if it will land me a career or not.

These things cost more than a real education and are literally 6 months of react and javascript job training.
You won't know jack shit at the end and they'll have your money, so they won't care.

Nah either go to University or just teach yourself.

if you cant self teach you won't succeed

if it's not a top tier bootcamp that literally guarantees you get a job, then it's a scam and you'll actually get discriminated against for putting it on your resume and talking about it during the interview.

It's a fine way to give web programming a shot and decide whether you like it. It won't actually make you employable.

I'm a self taught iOS developer with knowledge of Objective c and Swift. Is there a lot of employers who wouldn't mind a self taught developer?

If you don't have a degree from a school they recognize, they will NOT even send you a rejection letter.

Depends on your location in regards to talent demand, cost and quality of the program, and your own level of motivation and willingness to hustle.

My brother worked factory jobs until this year at age 34, spent $10k on a new dev school, found a job within two weeks at a consulting firm doing web dev and android work, some of it very cool involving some new camera tech for sports stadiums.

Anyway he's obviously a great success story, but he started doing hobby programming a few years ago so he wasn't a complete novice. He also has great social skills and can hustle his ass off when needed. He mentioned that some of his class mates did not find jobs but said they weren't even trying.

Well, I'm an iOS developer with a lot of experience in the freelancing game. However, I want to work for a company.

If you have work experience and a good portfolio, then you've got a chance, even if you don't have a degree.

Really depends on your location. If your country has a great demand for developers, it will most likely get you a job. I joined one a few years ago during my 2nd year at CS uni degree - free bootcamp, finished in 2 or 3 weeks, followed by a paid internship in the company organizing the bootcamp for 5 or 6 months, and right after got the job there.

They need employees so bad here they are even taking in first year CS students as of recently due to the demand of DevOps plebs

make a github

>Nah either go to University or just teach yourself.

This desu

Is having a non CS degree still better than no degree at all? I have a degree in psychology and plan on spending the next year hammering down javascript and finding a project for my portfolio. Found a Catholic school looking for beginner devs for a pro bono project making their website. I'm in no rush, but I think spending a year studying 10/15 hrs a weeks will land me a job.Also plan on going to meet up and hackathons at some point.

Sadly yes, the degree meme is still going strong. whether it adds up to whatever buttload you payed for it or any of the skills you picked up will be relevant for programming is another matter.

Hm ok .
If web dev doesn't work out I might do ux/ui design. Lots of psych majors getting into that field and there isn't really any degrees for it yet. Just don't know how to get the experience.

No. We make fun of bootcamp grads because they don't know their head from their ass and have even worse fundamentals than Indians.

Some are starting to offer job guarantees.

Udacity has special programs that will refund your tuition if you don't have a job within 6 months, but you have to meet their requirements like a certain number of job applications per week and accept pretty much any offer you're given.

Sounds very similar to my story.

Bootcamp faggots have literally destroyed my job prospects as a self-taught because they're basically self-taughts that got scammed into paying money to learn stuff they could have gotten for free.

They also don't know jack shit after having been overwhelmed with technologies and no cohesive way to put it all together.
These are people who don't know how to program being rushed though higher level functions, closures, and functional javascript concepts in only a few weeks.

they have bootcamps that last 3-4 months

Yeah I'm the guy with the brother above and his camp was 3 months 40 hours a week. That's probably more hours than a typical CS program