Why do (((they))) make you take calculus for CS?

Why do (((they))) make you take calculus for CS?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-one_error
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informatics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Weed out the tards.

CS is not meant to train future developers.

tfw to dumb for calc 1

tfw had to drop it and take trig & precalc to prepare myself even tho i took calc in HS

99% percent of all maths in computers is basic algebra. the rest is a placebo.

>calculus
The bulk of the entry level stuff isn't that hard. It is just that most college suck horse dick at teaching anything and pick books on dumb criteria like the number of homework problems provided than whether or not it explains the actual material. You go to class where the professor or TA half asses everything, the book assumes you have a professor that explained things in the lesson, and then you go onto khanacademy or some other online resource and actually learn the material.

I haven't been in a classroom in over a decade and didn't miss this shit at all.

If you can't handle calculus, then you're not fit for CS. Maybe an art of some kind is more your speed...

Sounds like you just went to a bad school. Mine was nothing like that at all.

No doubt, I won't make any attempt to defend the nonsense that place. The few high schoolers I managed to keep in contact with had wildly varying experiences as well. A lot of colleges will run either their math or physics wings as a money making department.

>first day of calc 1
>teacher literally reads straight out of the book at lightning speed
>goes through her lectures like she's on coke
>have no idea whats going on
>entire class gets a D and we all get curved

how can you fail that bad at teaching

Not American but can you tell me what are the common chapters of Calc 1. Is it Analysis or Algebra?

yeah but most schools are bad

Algebra if I understand your question correctly.

Yes you need to know how to do math, dumbass

So that professors don't have to waste time teaching idiots that will drop out of CS classes.

>how can you fail that bad at teaching
Professors make money for colleges by pulling down grant money and writing papers. Most honestly could give two shits about teaching classes, especially tenured ones.

> what is signal processing
> what is optimization
> what is algorithm analysis
> what are graphics
> what is data science
> what is robotics

If you hate calculus then maybe you should seriously consider sticking with IT or something like front-end JS dev. I'd make a brainlet comment but there's nothing actually wrong with less theoretical work.

The tards need to have a lot of things spelled out for them. They need to be explicitly told the difference between loops that never terminate because the algorithm is crap, and algorithms which explore the theory of an infinite sequence of steps, but are never infinite in any implementation.

any good online sources and/or courses to learn calculus 1 and 2?

>could give two shits
couldn't

Can't disagree with that, most my friends that aren't good at calculus also aren't that good at coding.

Can't you read a book?

please do explain the purpose of paying a professor hundreds of dollars per lecture if their job isn't to teach?

anyone?

Because any relevant future work will probably require innovation andworking with others in the interdisciplinary fields, and you can't do that if you're too retarded to know the basics.

Fuck off professor thomas

If you struggle with calculus, (((you))) aren't white.

youd be surprise...

Why do (((you))) keep reposting this thread? Is math that much of a threat to the NWO?

Why haven't you already read the relevant chapter before class?

Why do you think that computer (((science))) is for you if you can't even do calculus? Maybe become a code monkey instead.

wat

People fail to realize they aren't in the school anymore. You aren't "taught" anymore, you study yourself.

professor leonard on youtube

pauls online notes

traditional prereq for linear algebra

>tfw always scored A's in calculus, linear algebra, numerical analysis and statistics courses at university
>tfw always have been a shitty coder that still understands nothing about computers

I really wonder where this "You need to be good at calculus to become a coder" meme comes from.

It's called lecture because the professor reads his script. It's not class, you're not at school anymore. You need additional input, you need to be able to work and study on your own. Stop bitching, OP. This is how universities have worked for 800 years. Do you think, you're the first person to notice a flaw in the system? It's much more likely that you're not university/science material.

Here's all the math you need to be a good programmer:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-one_error

Think of the entire ordeal as some mental gymnastics.

Also, pic related.

Found the Pahjeets

This. For every math related class it was like this for me aswell. Had to do almost everything by myself, only 2-3 teachers overall were actually great at teaching and was a real pleasure to go to class.

I feel like all of this was just a waste of my time and can't wait to finish it off and start working and taking certifications.

Multidimensional function matrixes and arrays require more then basic algebra.

To establish that you have the bare minimum mathematical competency to take all of the theory classes, along with some statistics and linear algebra that are required for other shit (i.e. machine learning).

Honestly, if you can't make it through Calc 1, you don't really belong in a CS class.

*matrices
*than
You're worse at grammar than OP is at calculus.

You seem to be under this weird impression that "a implies b" and "b implies a" are the same thing. They are not. If we suggest that being good at programming requires being good at math, it is irrational to conclude that being good at math implies being good at programming. The fact that you have forgotten basic predicate logic, however, suggests to me that you are not, in fact, good at math at all.

I'm German faggot.

This is what separates the computer scientists from the code monkey bootcamps.
The theory and math in computer science is heavily used in all of the impressive shit happening with tech (Autonomous vehicles. search engines, computer vision, machine learning, etc.)

This.

Multimedia
Encryption
Branching
Optimizing
Databases
Games
Music
AI
Big data

All require a fuckton of maths

neural nets is honestly nothing more then specialized linked list rendering comparative data (ie. W.)

>tfw math grad who just studied some informatics on the side and now I get to lord over a bunch of CS brainlets at my company because I can actually come up with an algorithm while they struggle writing some simple instructions
Taking extra courses in category theory was the best decision of my life, financially speaking.

You're scapegoating. Teachers are irrelevant. You either get it or you don't.

You need derivatives to update weights in gradient descent.

No such thing as a good or bad school. Just good or bad students. Good schools are those that filter for good students. How well you learn depends almost entirely on your own aptitude, not on who is teaching you.

Partial derivatives at that, which get covered in Calc III.

Fag then what's the point of class

The professor probably cares way more about their research than to teach (you) brainlets math.
Go to office hours if you need a smart person to explain concepts to (you).

Because cs is math

>informatics
Is that term actually used in the anglosphere, or are you a German-speaker that fell for a false friend?
Even in Japanese it's 計算機科学 and not something with 情報.

And sure, that's probably a fundamental take-away: Never get too restrictive in your education unless you absolutely know there is a dire need for a Fachidiot like you (online dictionaries will tell you that translates to "nerd", but that seems wrong: Fachidiot is way more offensive).

Calc, trig, geometry are the main things that are needed for programming.

Its also very basic math.

>literally reduced to arguing semantics
That's sad.

but is "faggot" German?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informatics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science