/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/uutils/coreutils
0xax.gitbooks.io/linux-insides/content/
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.en.html
docs.python.org/3/library/http.server.html
noip.com/
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html
icann.org/resources/pages/registrars-0d-2012-02-25-en
icann.org/resources/pages/application-2012-02-25-en
github.com/kanishka-linux/kawaii-player
blackmoreops.com/2013/11/25/how-to-fix-wired-network-interface-device-not-managed-error/
elementary.io/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Network_managers
certdepot.net/rhel7-get-started-nmcli/
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU
pastebin.com/haTPHzF5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You fags are pathetic.
It's LINUX and just LINUX, not GANOO LINUX. FUCK RICHARD, HE's a fucking LOSERRRR

Is there a book that explains most of the Linux mechanisms? Like, how does the whole system work, both in the bigger picture, and in depth?

>uses gnu coreutils for EVERYTHING
>calls it "just linux"

here's how an ungrateful brat looks like, everyone

>>uses gnu coreutils for EVERYTHING

github.com/uutils/coreutils

The core-utils don't put GNU in front of Linux. GNU is actually the system; Linux, the kernel puts the /Linux to GNU/Linux.

I can't figure out NetworkManager. wifi-menu worked perfectly fine before but then I enabled NetworkManager and now it won't connect to the internet. Any help?

0xax.gitbooks.io/linux-insides/content/

what sort of encryption does fedora use?

rot13

gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.en.html

GNU/linux*

man nmcli

Whats the best way to host a website off my computer? Its a blog / file server for music. Ive made the html stuff myself and ive set up the download links. I want to host it myself and uptime isnt at all that important, nor is speed. I dont own a domain, but i figured i could just take one of those free ones, or buy one. On that note, why can you only rent domains for like a year at a time?

python3

to start a server in the current directory, just type
python -m http.server

more info
docs.python.org/3/library/http.server.html

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but every domain registrar that I can think of lets you for multiple years.

Host your shit on nearlyfreespeech.net fair pricing.

namecheap.com will let you register up to 10 years.

modprobe -r pcspkr

the silence it's... beautiful

That only works on Arch. For non kiddy distros:
python3 -m http.server

I just installed Kubuntu and I'm really liking it so far. It's very intuitive.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

you know what i mean, youre registering a domain and cant exactly buy it? idk if its because youre renting it or not.

thanks, this is a fairly easy way to get going. I never realised python was used for hosting

noip.com/

lighttpd if u a real nigga

Is Free Software basically software communism? Someone red pill me on FS.

Apache. If you're on Ubuntu, you may already got one running. Check localhost.

What do you mean by "buy it"?

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html

registering one. It seems you have to go through some third party to register one and i cant tell if its them buying it and seeling it on or whatever. I dont know much about the history of domain registering but i imagine these third parties (godaddy, crazy domains etc) werent there from the beginning

man i feel for stallman here, the uni was retarded for telling him to lecture in english and we all know he cant control these sort of outbursts, its just part of autism

Yeah, you have to use a third party.
icann.org/resources/pages/registrars-0d-2012-02-25-en

thats a pretty shit standard, i mean i get paying but then it supports being rich and powerful over actually delivering content because they can price as they wish. Why is it only possible through third party registrars? Can companies still become registrars?

icann.org/resources/pages/application-2012-02-25-en

:(

Is that normal? He's fucked up then

ya'll got some 2hu cowfiles?

Hello, I got an old laptop (Turion 2ghz and 4gb ram) that gets so hot that it shuts down. I think it's because of Windows 7 so I thought I better try out Linux finally. Never used Linux before, but what's a good modernish looking lightweight distro? My research so far has lead me to believe Lubuntu, Linux Mint and Zorin are good options.

Any help and recommendations are appreciated.

clean your laptop and your fans, then install ubuntu

Who is this willy ghillie?

Ok, thank you, I'll go with Ubuntu.

its not normal, but imagine putting in your work and passion into something in vain. Its a horrible feeling

one of these will work, depending on your distro
apt-get purge network-manager && apt-get autoremove

dnf remove NetworkManager && dnf autoremove

pacman -Rns networkmanager

is this the new meme github.com/kanishka-linux/kawaii-player

What's a good compositor for amd+openbox? I'm using amdgpu so hw accel would be nice

>Kawaii-Player is Audio/Video manager and mutlimedia player (based on mpv and mplayer), along with functionalities of portable media server and torrent streaming server. It can be simply used as normal multimedia frontend for mpv/mplayer with remote control and limited casting support, or it can be turned into portable media server on the fly.
no thanks, I have separate programs that do those things and do them well
what would I gain from using this monstrosity?

What's the best Linux 4 n00bs?

Hope I'm not too late.I literally had the exact problem just hours ago. blackmoreops.com/2013/11/25/how-to-fix-wired-network-interface-device-not-managed-error/

Linux Torvalds

what is a compositor? is it needed at all?

i am using awesomedm where i type startx and have awesome in my .xinit file. nothing more.

it is good or am i missing something better?

HELP ME!

>using NetworkManager

elementary.io/

he asked for linux

the one in your pic is pretty good

It works pretty well 99% of the time. I'm always changing shit on my network so I really don't want the hassle of setting things up the cool way.

literally anything is better than NetworkManager
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Network_managers

I've used most of them at on point or another. Network Manager isn't that bad,really. Nmcli has alot of features, it's really just the GUI that sucks.

systemd I can understand
but that someone would make a conscious choice to use NetworkManager is beyond me

He's fucked up in all ways.

One of the GCC programmers recently had a baby, and while everyone congratulates him, all stalinman said is "the time spent fucking and breeding could've instead be used to improve GNU software. Dumbfuck."

I don't know the intricate details but I notice that resizing windows make my CPU usage go very high, if I keep spamming resize it get as high as 60% on a FX6300

I set a custom keyboard shortcut where Ctrl+Alt+T opens terminal, but it won't work. What gives?

NetworkManager is just another step towards windowsification of GNU+Linux

certdepot.net/rhel7-get-started-nmcli/

sorry, I don't use overly complicated windows tier bloated nannyware that may or may not misbehave just because it has a CLI interface

What year is this?

>I don't use
Then perhaps you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about.You could have spared yourself a lot of time and effort by simply posting: "Look at me! I'm a tryhard faggot!My opinions are based on nothing!"

how does "I don't use" in your mind translate to "I have never used"?
I wouldn't be shitting on it if I didn't have a history of bad experiences with it

Something isn't working.

>i don't know what i'm talking about, but i will use this word and have an option about something so i can sound smart

Kill yourself.

>option
>reddit spacing
>tells others to kill themselves
wew

monstrosities like NetworkManager and systemd are one of the main reasons why windows is bad and why many people have switched to GNU/Linux
and now faggots from Red Hat and the GNOME project are pushing the same windows tier crap onto GNU/Linux

reddit.com

>package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)

Does this mean I've accidentally installed a 32-bit OS and can't run any 64-bit software?

sudo dhcpcd
try to ping afterwards

My Linux overlords, I have one (1) question to ask. How does one boot windows partition using QEMU with GPU passthrough ?

Sincere thanks from your Windows peasant.

install gentoo

pls no meme answer

learn to find shit like that out yourself you lazy faggot
>Resources:
>Your friendly neighborhood search engine.
>Wikis
>wiki.archlinux.org
>wiki.gentoo.org
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU

Indeed it does. You could also check uname -m to make sure. Time to reinstall, assuming your CPU is 64-bit (lscpu | grep Architecture).

>uname -m
>not glorious arch

They are not proprietary, therefore thay are not windowsish.

>NetworkManager

more like Network Mismanager lmao

hahahaha LOL!

>talking out of my ass while trying to justify my subjective opinion and assumption which i try to pass off as the truth: the post

Still keep killing yourself.
The reason people "switch" from Windows is because it's free software. You don't even know what you mean with monstrosity, you just use Windows as a comparison, without giving any actual, technical reasons why it's "like Windows" (comparing an operating system to just one piece of software).

I still suggest you kill yourself.

post /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-writer.desktop pleas

pastebin.com/haTPHzF5

>17 lines of license in a fucking desktop shortcut

free software could take it easy somtimes.

Never used Linux before, but what's a good modernish looking lightweight distro? My research so far has lead me to believe Lubuntu, Linux Mint and Zorin are good options.
>
>Any help and recommendations are appreciated.

Mint (built on Ubuntu) is the most stable but not as secure as some other distros. If you're new to Linux or just want a very reliable system id go with Mint. Ubuntu would also be a good choice.

I've heard good things about Feren OS but haven't tried it yet. Supposed to be a lot like winblowz 7.

install gentoo

I'm dumb and can't setup my fstab ;_;
I want to auto-mount my storage hard drive but I'm getting permission errors.

Here's what I added:
# /storage
UUID=F23CBB283CBAE6AF /storage ntfs defaults 0 2
Then with mount -a the drive disappears and the folder is no longer accessible.

>reliable system
>Mint.
um their site got hax0r'd including some of their isos
install lubuntu change gtk theme to adwaita and icon theme to breeze enjoy reliable
xubuntu is fine too or ubuntu mate

use ntfs-3g

>/storage

I think that looks ugly.

Try /media/storage. can you manually mount it?

What are the odds pirated games come with a bitcoin miner?

I have a 64-bit Intel processor. Will the amd64 architecture work on my PC?

Could you rephrase your question?

I can.

>mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs-3g'
?

I have a problem. I have a text file, when I cat it, I can copy paste the test like it should be, but when I use less and copy paste it, it also adds the break when a line goes over the terminal width. Is there any way to turn it off? I read the manpage and can't find anything related.

thx desu

UUID= /mnt/storage ntfs-3g noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=027,fmask=137 0 0