Wait, so did Nvidia next fix the issue that Keplar, Pascal, and other archs have when VRAM starved?

Wait, so did Nvidia next fix the issue that Keplar, Pascal, and other archs have when VRAM starved?
AMD GPUs don't have nearly this problem. A 3GB 7970 runs far better in a game that uses 4GB of VRAM than the 3.5GB 970 does despite being a little more than half as powerful.

I thought after the lawsuit over the 3.5GB that they updated their memory controller to behave more like GCN did when VRAM starved.
Did they not?
What's the point in getting an Nvidia card if you are forced to upgrade when you want to play a game that uses more VRAM, whereas AMD cards keep working fine?

not fix*

3 GB? What do you need 2.5 GB for?

>35% less VRAM
>280% less performance
Clearly the problem isn't simply VRAM

But it is.

Nvidia cards were known for shitting themselves when they run out of VRAM, while AMD cards do not, despite both supporting AGP Texture Acceleration.

yes, it is. that's how RAM works. run out of it and everything instantly turns to utter shit.

The fix to this issue is to not buy cards which lack VRAM for your intended settings and there will never be a better fix for it than that, because it removes the problem entirely.

>novidia

It's probably 2,5GB Vram since Nvidia has pulled that shit before with the GTX 970

Proper review sites would get a 3GB AMD card out, even if it is older to test it.

Of course proper review sites aren't fucking youtube niggers.

Fucking nvidia. They are as worthless as apple products.

Planned obsolescence.

0.5GB VRam has been unlocked on your graphics card.

I bought back into the AMD meme. Had two R9 290x 8GB cards in Crossfire. The setup couldn't stop tripping over it's own dick long enough to even touch 4k. Had to run in 2k windowed to get anything done. Had to run a single card with the other disabled. Switched both in their slots with the same result.
Bought a 1080 and boom. 4k all day long. If not maxed then high in most cases. I commonly play Battlefield 1, GTA V, Beam NG, Doom (new), Witcher 3.

Go ahead and throw some shade.

I know you're butthurt cause your comment has nothing to do with the subject. HAHAHAHAH

But they have. The 7970 was 3GB.
Toms Hardware tested it recently against older Nvidia cards as well.

I don't have it on hand. Maybe someone else will post it. But the result was that the performance of the Nvidia cards dropped about 65-80% when VRAM starved while AMD cards just dropped ~15%.

It's been tested plenty.
It's a fact.
But I had thought Nvidia fixed this with Pascal. Apparently not?

>NVIDIA cards have a problem when they run out of VRAM
>A single 2016 card works better than two 2013 cards in crossfire! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~

OMG I should just wait until 2020 to buy a GPU why waste money on a 1080 now
thank YOU user

My old 780ti 3gb had issues when the Vram was maxed.
Driver updates fixed that issue.
Limited Vram usage at 2.9gb

I sold it for $270 a few weeks ago
IDK why pays that much for an old GPU.
Pic is the 780ti

You sold a 780ti for $270? I feel sorry for the old lady who bought that.

Yep. That's exactly what I said. Verbatim. Good job, user.

Ya idk why would do that.
I was surprised as fuck as I was expecting $120 or so.
It had a factory EVGA water block on it though
A rx480 is like $200 and it's faster, so I'll what retard payed 270

Essentially when the draw goes over the VRAM ammount on your card the card has to swap new shit into the memory so the core is idling waiting for the stuff it needs to be loaded up.

The reason a 3gb 7970 doesnt slowdown is because it has a 384-bit bus and more bandwidth. however thats only partially it. The other reason is Drivers. The caching/prioritizing setup in Nvidia's software stack is all kinds of fucked up because of the way they optimize. It gives you ebtter GPU usage and higher FPS but the cost is that if the memory capacity is ecxeeded and the card has to start swapping shit into memory it dont no prioirtise the resorces correctly and the GPU stalls for huge ammounts of time.

Drivers are the primary reason. AMD Crimson drivers are actually superior to Geforce drivers at this point and the only thing keeping nvidia ahead is the pixel filling speed of their architecture.

>tfw 1.5gb of ram for this many gpus

Just kill me senpai

probably is, 6GB version easily averages over 60fps at that quality.
also notice how there's little difference in 1080p and 1440p performance on the 1060 but a more expected drop from the 570?

what the fuck

Because vram isn't a determining factor. More vram doesn't mean it's always better and unless you're a complete dimwit, you'd adjust your settings to accommodate for the limitations of your gpu.

What's more concerning to me is the terrible minimums the 570 experiences throughout the testing. Those minimums alone would sell me a 1060 3gb. The 570 minimums are really bad.

just fuck my shit up senpai

>tfw fermi fire engine

Nvidia VRAM bus width.

Try drinking a milkshake with a coffee stirrer, and that's your problem.

retard

Your Max FPS is quite impressive. Just play games pointing at the ground senpai

>Wait, so did Nvidia next fix the issue that every single GPU has had since the beginning of existence where if you run out of resources your framerate tanks
Yes as a matter of fact they did, they added more VRAM
An hero