Who else fell for the self-taught programmer meme?

Who else fell for the self-taught programmer meme?

>oh no it's ok user just learn programming for free you dont need a degree :)
>employers will crawl all over your dick if you just include a github with hobby projects!
>it's a meritocracy user!
>a B.Sc in Computer Science is definitely NOT required to work as an entry level junior developer!

>wahh I uploaded FizzBuzz on Github why haven't I received job offers from Google yet!

this is a strawman and you know it

>look i took a basic 3 month programming course, why don't i have employers lining up to suck my cock?
>i made this website, look! it's a piece of shit made of html+css you can learn in an hour, where's my job offer?
>wow look i answered a SO question, better put that on my resume
you didn't fall for the self taught programmer meme user, you just don't want to put any effort or commitment into bettering your skills

with a grain of truth.
If you start a good project and contribute to others, that's much better than a degree on your resume.

>tfw fell for the CS degree meme as well and had trouble finding a job.
>managed to a get job through a friend, but at a place that doesn't follow good software engineering practices.

>tfw fell for the CE meme
>well paying, readily available, completely menial, absolutely soul crushing work
Firmware doesn't just write itself. I have to tell it to write itself, repeatedly. I'm helping.

Almost no one follows good design practices because of the economics of it.

I should say at least the minimum of good software engineering practices. Stuff like automated tests.

>I need to be handholded to read CLRS
>everyone who says this is easy is a lying son of a bitch

There's a reason full-time QA positions exist, and there's a reason Microsoft completely got rid of theirs.
Tests are expensive.

lol u fool
why do u think w10 wuz free nigguh
it because the man wants to ooze us to test their produkt u fool

You need experience relevant to industry. Personal GitHub projects won't count for much.

I think the next step is to begin contributing to large open-source team projects.

Not that I know, I got a job writing firmware for cars using my electrical engineering degree. :D :D :D

I considered myself a very competent programmer before college. I'd taken three years of programming in high school and was able to put together some pretty decent projects in C#, like a Contra clone I was working on prior to graduation.
I'm now 3 years deep into my degree and I've forgotten more than I learned. Sure, I'm probably a more technically apt programmer than I was before, but I couldn't put together an actually meaningful project to save my life. Maybe its the school, but they seem to teach exclusively to the projects, not bothering to bolster any actual creativity or skill- for example I've had a bunch of Java classes, and I can throw together whatever they ask for, but I don't even know where to begin on something like a game.
I'm convinced that programming is a meme. You go to college for the degree to get into an employers door and then learn everything you'll actually be doing on the job.

Self Taught developer here, and this post is a bunch of bullshit.

Went to college for three years. Realized aside from math I wasn't learning shit. Found a job and dropped out. They said they hired me because of my GitHub, they didn't even realize I went to school and it was just a plus for them.

Programming is not a meme. You need to practice programming regularly. If you only do simple projects, your skill would never improve. It's like exercising and building your body.

Don't expect your employer to hold your hand and train you. At best your employer will have you shadow your coworkers for a month. After that, you're expected to be able to do real work.

y'all got stockholm syndrome or smth

it's tough out there, keep yer head up son. it ain't what you know it's who you know so keep working that Network Neighborhood, ya feel me? keep that hustle alive nigga one love peace

What is your job description?

programming is a meme job that's going to be completely eliminated in 5 years anyway

bump

that's okay though because humans are a meme species that will be eliminated in 10

>github with hobby projects

Yeah maybe if they're something that people would actually use.

Try contributing to FOSS projects and shit you dingus, especially ones that are centered around the type of shit you want to work on.

Go away skynet, the singularity isn't happening that fast.

I got hired without a degree. You just won't be working for giant corporations, since they're more likely to require a degree for all employees. Small to medium business is still fine usually.