IT Career: How Fucked Am I?

I'm trying to get into IT because marketing/sales is fucking terrible and I can't get into it.

I'm done with my A+ 220-901 exam and expected to take my 902 around Labor Day.

My question is, how fucked am I getting into IT without any experience other than fixing people's computers in high school?

Am I destined to be stuck in marketing/sales for forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

black-star.otzovy.ru/38-zhakety-kurtki-pidzhaki/item/1377-kurtka-bomber-muzhskaya-patriot
blackstar-wear.com/catalog/15/9974/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

JOIN US

You mean a call center?

It's about customer service, really. How good you are with words, how good you are in a room, that kind of thing.
Hearts and minds, man.

I know, but I'm just talking about getting one. Like a help desk job?

That's what I'm doing, 70k a year.

Be more specific than "IT".

Why are you taking the A+? Do you want to work help desk in a call center?

I wish I opened my eyes sooner about this, you don't need to fix things just speak well

Kevin sounds like he knows what's up

I want to do helpdesk.

I'm more into hardware than designing networks or servers really.

Of course, I'm willing to learn more and see how it goes.

This. People Skills. Invaluable.

>A+ certificate
>sales to IT
You're crosstraining from sales calls to tech support calls. If all you're gonna do is get the worst cert in the industry you're gonna be stuck in a call center for the rest of your life.

Yep, gotta get some more certs and training. The A+ will get you in to some tech support or PC repair companies, but the Cisco, Net, Linux and Windows certs are invaluable, imo.

I went through a 1 year ITS program, completing 8 certs. During that period, I was also studying theory like mad. Completing any online CS course I could take. That taught me C/C++, C#, Java and Python. All in all, with 2 1/2 years of work, I finally landed a cushy development job working with Java server systems.

The A+ alone won't do a whole lot for anyone, really.

So basically I'm wasting my time and wasted my money?

No, not at all. What I'm saying is you need to continue your education a bit further so that you can be qualified for more serious roles. Help desk / call center stuff / pc repair jobs are okay. But if you want to develop your skills as a developer, sys / network admin, etc., you need to have more knowledge under your belt.

No, you just need to go further. Don't stop at A+.

None of us know what we're doing. You'll fit right in.

yeah, I took the A+ because I was required to do so by my first job repairing computers at Canadian Best Buy (Future Shop) by the end of my probation.

It was hilariously out of date and totally irrelevant. I barely passed because it was memorization of shit like DOS era IRQs and Pentium 2 voltages in like 2006. but fortunately I got it before they made the certificate actually expire. Not that it ever mattered.

You can get a call center tech support job if you show basic understanding of like DHCP, DNS and walking people through their desktops to renew their IPs or whatever.

A+ is a certificate you advertise to your customers, not for hiring purposes.

Don't listen to this guy, certificates are a meme. People argue that there are "good ones" but when it really comes down to it HR doesn't know the difference between them and the actual technical people are interested in what you know and your experience.

I mean it really depends how you wanna do your career, it's hard to just be "good enough" in IT. You need to constantly learn and evolve, having certificates don't really help with that.

The one area of certificates that might be good at Network Engineering specific: Cisco, etc.

Alright, that I figured. I wouldn't want a call center because I have Crohn's and I can't sit down on the phone for hours and not get up. Help Desk is fine, however.

Understood. Are HDI certs worth it?

Well it's no different now. It expires every 3 years but usually after 3 years if you're still in Help Desk, the cert doesn't matter because you have 2-3 years of experience.

I understand that you have to learn/evolve in the field. Technology changes all the time. HR mainly just looks to see if you match up. The actual interview is when you get interviewed by your supervisor.

Cisco has a lot of value in general. Every company uses something that they make.

>I can't sit down
Sitting down is pretty important in most IT roles. Have you tried a standing desk? A lot of offices will provide for ergonomic accessories like that.

I actually own one at the moment. I own a Jarvis Standing desk from Fully and it's really nice.

My current job doesn't give me that option unfortunately. Call centers are usually in some small cubicle farm or in an open-cubicle farm if you know what I mean. Standing desks would be hard to come by sadly.

You're fucked OP.

You need network certs to get any helpdesk job.

Congrats on wasting like 200 bucks for a useless exam.

Imma highjack your thread OP

I have a handful of months of helpdesk experience with my A+, but am going to get my CCNA soon.
Do I stick to helpdesk for another year and some months to have a solid 2 year experience background or should I try finding a networking position asap?

Cert then go for it.

You can apply, but it isn't likely you'll get called or hired due to a lack of experience in networking itself.

Yes.

Dude. That's exactly the same situation I'm in. I'm going to get my A+ certification among others, but, I have no experience either. At the moment, I'm also taking my bachelor's in IT as well. So, hopefully I'm not wasting my time doing these certs and the classes. I'll be doing an internship though so hopefully that will work out.

>Image related
I want one of those fucking jackets. In the future we'll live under Russian overlords anyway, so might aswell be prepared.

Another image.

>gantz
she's my kinda girl

Know where to find that jacket or what it's called?

w2c

whether it helps but I found the jacket on an russian fashion site

black-star.otzovy.ru/38-zhakety-kurtki-pidzhaki/item/1377-kurtka-bomber-muzhskaya-patriot

>150 usd
yeah na

Look for Data Center Analyst/Technician jobs.

I got one of those in Canada paying $18/hr with my only qualifications being browsing Sup Forums.

It's better than retail, I tell you what.

Another hijacker here. I actually am going to school in the fall for my bachelors degree, have a cert, and have trained in A+. I got a call from a guy today about him wanting me to be his go-to tech guy and I do have a PC repair business that I've yet to get a customer for.

He wants me to be on call and do some on-site work. Is telling him $100 per hr unreasonable? It's for a catering company.

Wow, already married at 20

Learn to use Linux, you'll get more money, and the Linux Foundation gives basic certs for cheap

In US? Find a helpdesk job that says something about clearances

it helps when the guy has money and takes you out of your moscow shithole and takes you traveling around the world

Certs help, actual hands on experience is better. Anymore college is kinda a expensive fucking waste of time. All your doing is basically getting yourself up to your neck in debit that you can't payoff till your mid 30s all for a piece of paper that you frame and never look at again. Taking b.s college classes that have nothing to do with the job/career that you want. Used to be college was useful but now "everyone and there uncle" seem to go so its almost universal as a hs diploma. "oh so you went to college for a bachelor's degree" so what, no one cares, other than the financial institution your paying all that loan money to.

Are you sure about that? I feel like Linux certs don't matter as much as MS or Cisco ones do.

I am a college grad, it is a meme. I majored in a meme too (communications) because I didn't get into the business school with a 3.2 GPA at the end of my sophomore year. I got about 15k in debt which isn't terrible compared to most of my peers (25-70k). Wish I did a trade or went into the military before I got sick.

>you need network certs to get any helpdesk job

no you don't

Thanks for the help! too bad it's fucking £120

Here's the womens version, blackstar-wear.com/catalog/15/9974/
linked the mens one, which isn't listed on the brands site.

Name?

who is this semen demon

Why is it so hard to get into IT jobs in your countries? In Portugal the IT companies almost jerk you off since they desperately need IT guys. I was finishing my bachelor, and I had received already around 10 work proposals, and now i'm finishing my masters and i'm already working.
It's that easy.

Here in the KC area there are tech jobs (that is not call center base) that want you to have A+. Fuckin Microcenter is one of them. A+ is not just for tech support jobs.

>Its the same thing like my disgusting winter army jacket that i had in the army
Why you hate yourself.