/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560/4600 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use
>Threadripper/i9 soon

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050/Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@90-144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@90-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Computex May 30th

Other urls found in this thread:

topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_w_kitevo_puis_ref_est_in10103859.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/qv6vQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/28yDVY
youtube.com/watch?v=i8kXpUQVs7Q&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Alright, I have this so far for a total of 714€, it just needs a GPU (I accounted roughly 80€ for the case). r8 pls

1) Could you guys recommend me a case that's easy to work with and has a lot of room? Few months prior for my own build I got a Fractale Mini one and while I like it the insides are cramped and I've had minor worries with it. This time I want to be sure to not have problems, it's fine if the case is ugly or isn't top notch since anyway AMD doesn't heat up much.
2) Second, I need a GPU for this and I'm not sure what to fit. RX 470, 480, 570 and 580 prices are COMPLETELY overpriced still (220€ minimum for any of these cards).
Thanks.

You might as well buy a m.2 850 evo. Same price. Some 1060s are small, dunno about anything better than that

No idea about all the others but my Fractal Design Define R5 has quite a lot of room for cable management on an mATX board
The holes are very convenient for cable management & there's a good amount of room for fans too

What country do you live in?
A GTX 1060 6GB is a perfectly good alternative to an RX 480/580

Get a 580 4GB or a 1060 6GB. Some are under $220

>m.2 850 evo
I don't know anything about m.2 drives - mind explaining me simply why it'd be a better choice than a SSD?

The R5 is over 100€ here though. I'm in France. Would a 1060 pair well with Ryzen though? Wouldn't it be smarter to get an AMD card?

4GB seems a bit weak though, in that case I'd rather get the 1060 yeah.

topachat.com/pages/detail2_cat_est_micro_puis_rubrique_est_w_kitevo_puis_ref_est_in10103859.html
It's not 3200MHz RAM, but it's 70€ cheaper and the mobo is a lot better.
The 3200MHz aren't really gonna benefit you unless you do CPU-hungry stuff or high framerate gaming, but even then you can instead get a $50 cooler, overclock and end up with more performances + better motherboard + money saved

>I don't know anything about m.2 drives
evidently, considering m.2 drives are exclusively SSDs

>Would a 1060 pair well with Ryzen though?
Yes, it will.

>Wouldn't it be smarter to get an AMD card?
Doesn't make much difference and you don't have much choice considering the price of 480/580 and the lack of stock thanks to bitcoin miners.

>I don't know anything about m.2 drives - mind explaining me simply why it'd be a better choice than a SSD?
Priced & preform the same but are much smaller, go directly on the motherboard and do not require any cable.

>The 3200MHz aren't really gonna benefit you
no, it will
due to how Ryzen is built, ram speed inherently affects the CCX speed of communicating with each other

M.2 is just a different form factor for SSD, the benefit is that the NVMe slots are faster than SATA3.

Ram speed directly affects how Ryzen performance in many things.
Ryzen is made of 2 CPU Complexes, or CCXs as AMD calls them. Each CCX contains have the cores of the CPU, and they're connected by the infinity fabric between them to communicate. If a core from CCX 1 was to communicate with a core from CCX 2, it has to use the infinity fabric. The infinity fabric runs at whatever speed the ram is at. So Ryzen fucking LOVES fast ram and it does make BIG NOTICEABLE differences in the chip's performance.

Ram speed may not affect Intel chips all that much, but Ryzen chips cling to it like a lifeline.

>Each CCX contains have the cores of the CPU
*half the cores
>was to communicate
*wants to communicate

Goddamn I hate laptop chicklet keyboards.

I know that, but that's still gonna benefit you at all.
You're gonna get what, 10% higher FPS when for some reason your GPU is not the bottleneck? 10% of 130 is 13 FPS, which you would gain anyway by buying a beefy cooler and overclocking, and which is pointless regardless because you have a 60hz screen
It really won't do much because it's already a great CPU & overclocking will do more for cheaper.

It's not worth the 70€ at all, you could get an SSD or high end air cooler that will last you for the next 6 - 7 years with that money and allow for big overclocks.

>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
So is 1 DR DIMM.

Single/Double Rank is not Single/Dual channel.

SR means single rank
The OP must probably means that one dual rank DIMM is still faster than two single rank one

pcpartpicker.com/list/qv6vQV

This is my upcoming first build. Should I get a 750w psu to save a bit more, 850w seems not too different pricing for 100w difference

It's only 8GB RAM. How is the mobo "a lot better"?

Sounds good, thanks.

Get a 600 or 650w you jackass
You don't need anything remotely close to 750w

>It's only 8GB RAM.
Oh, my bad then.

>G4560/4600 - budget builds (>G4560 - budget builds (

meant for

noted

>How is the mobo "a lot better"?
It has better VRMs, 1 more PCIe, 1 more M2 & 2 PCI
But yeah, it's not really worth the drop to 2400MHz

If you do not intend to SLI, then the 750w is more than enough for your system.

Hey calm down now its just a question

Thanks

>Hey calm down now its just a question
I didn't mean jackass in a mean way

Will there be a noticeable difference between 3200mhz 16 cas ram vs 3200mhz 14 cas ram with ryzen

No. The difference is pretty slim, and almost non-existent in gaming.

Nah ryzen doesn't give a shit about latency, only frequency.

pcpartpicker.com/list/28yDVY r8

Why the GTX 1070? Got a 1440p/144hz monitor?
Looks good

bad question. not everybody is fine with scraping by via spending the bare minimum.

Which is why i asked why

Is DDR4 a jewish trick to get everyone to buy new RAM?

Most likely.

It is a little faster, yes.
Its lower power consumption makes it a good standard for laptops and phones though

jews don't make much memory

it's a korean trick

>pcpartpicker.com/list/28yDVY
get a gigabyte card, asus a shit

1600X + RX580-1380Mhz-8GB or 7600K + GT1060G1-6GB for gaming?
Would a 600W power supply with 90% efficiency rating be enough for either?
How much ram would I need to make sure it's not a bottleneck?
Is there a big difference between 2400 and 3000Mhz?

No, it's just technology going forward, even if slightly.

>Would a 600W power supply with 90% efficiency rating be enough for either?
Yes, with a very big room left.

>How much ram would I need to make sure it's not a bottleneck?
12 GB, because some AAAs will take a fuckton of RAM

>Is there a big difference between 2400 and 3000Mhz?
For Ryzen, yes (the cpu becomes "stronger", the cores communicate faster between them)
For Intel, yes but very slightly: it's not worth at all to even consider it.

>1600X + RX580-1380Mhz-8GB or 7600K + GT1060G1-6GB for gaming?
The R5 1600 (doesn't even need to be X) is better than the 7600k because the 7600k has only 4 cores & 4 threads which isn't enough to run AAA games comfortable (very little room left & spikes to 100% usage causing fps dips, and that's in fresh windows install for bencharks with nothing running in the background). The R5 1600 in comparison has 6 cores & 12 threads, & has the same average but with naturally much much more room left.

Rx 580 & GTX 1060 are on average pretty much the same, but the 580 supports Freesync & gets much better gains in newer APIs than the GTX 1060 does (DX12 / Vulkan)

logicalincrements pls go. GIGABYTE has the worst support in the industry.

what is better: 4 sticks of 4GB, 2 sticks of 8GB or 1 stick of 16GB?

2 of 8GB because upradeability, usually easier to overclock & no benefits for 4 sticks since consumer cpu stops at dual channel

2 of 8 or 1 of 16 if you will get another 16 in the near future

also, what about uneven numbers/pairings:
3X4GB
2X4GB +1X8GB
etc.

nvmd, i get the idea: two of the same is better.

thanks guys.

Any glaring issues with this?

>Ryzen 1600@3,2 GHz
The Thermaltake Contact Silent 12 Cooler seems decent, or maybe a LC Power LiCo liquid cooler if it will make much of a difference for moderate overclocking
Asus B350M-A MB
The B350M-Plus variant is only slightly more expensive but I don't really see anything extra I want.
Kingston [email protected]
The 3GHz is quite a bit cheaper; but ryzens like fast ram, right?
RX580 ROG STRIX, 8GB
Only 580 beside the basic one most suppliers in my country carry.
Kingston 240GB SATA3 SSD or Samsung M.2 256GB (both are around 500Mb/s read and write)
Does it make much of a difference if read/write speed are withing 20Mb/s?
Toshiba 2TB HDD, 7200rpm, 64MB
Seems okay.
Coolermaster 600W@85%
Thermaltake Versa 2 Case

Haven't bought a computer since 2006, so I have no clue what the fuck I'm doing - sorry if I'm asking about inane stuff.

>Asus B350M-A
Change that. It doesn't have a VRM Heatsink

>7600k has only 4 cores & 4 threads which isn't enough to run AAA games comfortable
Simply fucking wrong. Even the G4560 will run most games comfortably.

Not that the i5 is a smart purchase, but to claim that it won't run games well is retarded.

The b350m-a can't do above even 2400MHz right now on the latest bios update. On the previous one i could reach 2900 on two sticks though (two 2600MHz CAS 16 ones), but no idea if you'll be able to reach 3200MHz on the next bios updates (you should)

>The B350M-Plus variant is only slightly more expensive but I don't really see anything extra I want.
The plus would be better at overclocking because of better VRMs & an heatsink on it, considering both the chipset & CPU are unlocked that's something to take into consideration

>The 3GHz is quite a bit cheaper; but ryzens like fast ram, right?
Indeed, but it doesn't mean you should spend money on it. Your screen is most likely a 60hz screen anyway so it will most likely make no difference to you, unless you do productivity stuff or something.

>Does it make much of a difference if read/write speed are withing 20Mb/s?
Not at all

Looks good to me

What about:
>Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 or 1
or
>AB350M-Gaming 3
or
>Asus B350-Plus
All those seem to have it, not sure though.

I didn't say it wouldn't run them well, i said it wouldn't run them comfortably. Getting at very very high CPU usage is everything but comfortable.

>Change that. It doesn't have a VRM Heatsink
I got that motherboard (was on a very tight budget & had to buy at launch), can i just buy random heatsinks off amazon and slap them on the VRMs?

>perform the same

Those are all good. just make sure you grab one of them with 4 ram slots

>buying am4 anus boards even with literally everyone saying not to
kys

what the fuck is up with AMD GPU pricing now

why is AMD so much better in dx12/vulcan titles?
is it nvidias drivers?

youtube.com/watch?v=i8kXpUQVs7Q&

The Asus Prime B350 Plus is good.
Also, the Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 has the best audio of any B350 motherboard.

It was on release date so no one was saying anything you idiot
And i had no other choice, i was already $100 over my budget

Is either of these tolerable for single-player gaming?

Crypto miners have been snapping them up in bulk meaning there's few of them for the rest of us. low supply + high demand = higher than normal prices

what's the refresh rates on them?

VX297H:
>60Hz

MX259H:
>Horizontal Refresh Rate: 30 - 80 kHz
>Vertical Refresh Rate: 56 - 76 Hz

Another site says that the VX297H has identical refresh rates to the other one.

Both will play most games at 60 fps then. You want a 60hz monitor for that.
eeny meany miny mo. look at the features between them to find the better deal.
Bonus points for Free-Sync or G-Sync. FreeSync is for AMD Radeon graphics cards and G-Sync is for Nvidia cards

Waiting for Vega.....

... Want to get rid of my 390

Do I need a headphone amp if I plan on plugging some 32ohm headphones directly into a medium/high-medium range motherboard?

I suspected as much, it's just that the 27" one being the same price as the 25" one threw me for a loop. Thanks man.

But it does run them comfortably. You're blinded by fainboyism

no. An i7 with its 8 threads will run them comfortably. The i5 will not. 4 cores and 4 threads was good 6 years ago. It's not 2011 anymore user.

Just get a cheap korean Freesync 120hz monitor

Stupid question: what's the deal with everyone harping on about single-core performance being the by far most important aspect for gaming?

I hope you're still here. i'm the guy who made the build, if you have any questions i'll try to answer them.

because according to them, games can't use more than 1 core/ 2 core/ 4 core

On a related note: do dedicated sound-cards act as headphone amps in some capacity? Is that a stupid option if you got decent on-board audio?

Probably not.

The release of Ryzen does not make i5s suddenly not run games well. i5s were mid range 3 months ago, and they still are.

Gaming performance is a mix of single and multithreaded performance. Not solely one or the other, although multithreaded performance is starting to matter more. Still no reason to buy an FX 8350 today, because the single threaded performance is bad enough to hamper the CPU.

Some sound cards have amplifiers included. Not all do.

If you don't know why you would need a sound card, you don't need one. Almost everyone is good with just onboard.

single core performance is generally what you need for web browsing with multiple threads for different processes like running youtube videos.
Single-thread performance make 0 difference in gaming since gaming is all multi-core multi-thread performance. Which is where Ryzen excels. The reason for i5's and i7's getting better FPS numbers in games is poor optimization for Ryzen CPUs. Look at comparison videos and yoy generally see the 6 and 8 core Ryzen chips never go above 60% CPU usage in games while i5's , and to a lesser extent, i7's will hit 100% usage spikes. The fact Ryzen can keep up with them at all with such poor optimization is a testament to how much computing horsepower they have. Ryzen has a LOT more to offer and as soon as optimization patches are released, don't be surprised to see a 6 core Ryzen 5 1600 blow away an Intel Core i7 7700K in FPS performance.

>The release of Ryzen does not make i5s suddenly not run games well. i5s were mid range 3 months ago, and they still are.
Never said they were no longer mid-range, but Ryzen 5 really did make the i5 chips obsolete and irrelevant.

Gonna build a nice little HTPC with the Biostar B350 meme ITX and eventual Ryzen 3.

Why is every mITX case built for stupid gamers who want to stick 360 radiators and 3 foot long GPUs in these?

avoid the Biostar and wait for an actual decent itx AM4 board.

Noted, going to have to wait anyways.

The AMD Just Wait™ product line sure is becoming diverse.

>Single-thread performance make 0 difference in gaming since gaming is all multi-core multi-thread performance.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IS THIS NIGGER SERIOUS? No really, how much is AMD paying you? This is the most blatant piece of disinfo I've ever read in these threads. Gaming is almost exclusively single-core performance based, with VERY few titles ever making use of more than two cores and even less of those doing it well enough to see a real benefit. Video games are SHIT TIER when it comes to software optimization.

Can someone recommend me a good board with a LGA1150 socket for my i5 4670.

I have some spares lying around and I want to build a PC to use as a server.

B-but muh CPU utilisation

>with VERY few titles ever making use of more than two cores
You were very right in that what he said was blatant disinfo but holy shit you just had to ruin your comment by dropping something just as retarded did you?

>Check Fractal Design website for new shit
>See this
For fuck's sake.

Reminder prebuilts are better than custom built on a price to performance ratio

How good is the p400 case?
The reviews I have seen on it seem to vary a lot

What the hell is a "server" to you?

did they get a new intern or something what the fuck is that

I will use it as a seedbox in my house

That shit costs about 60% more custom, 70% more pre-built in my country

get fucked europoor

>stupid LED crap everywhere
>off-brand liquid cooler
>2400MHz RAM
>400W fucking PSU
>64GB SSD
>oh fuck we need to pad this table out lets list things that are actually part of the motherboard like "3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard" and "LAN"
>offbrand keyboard
>offbrand mouse

Boy what a deal.