What do you think personal computers and operating systems will be like in 10 or 20 years time?

What do you think personal computers and operating systems will be like in 10 or 20 years time?

I believe looking at this fine machine here in 20 years we will have the same kind of device but it will fit in your pocket and you will be able to talk with it and send messages; kind of like a communicator in star trek.

C L O U D - B A S E D

You have a modular high-performance computing hub in your house that all your family connects to wirelessly with cheap throwaway displays and VR headsets.

More bloat.
More spying.

pretty much the same, but more homogeneous, boring, and less feature-packed, just as stuff today isn't really all that different from what we had in 1997 except it's faster with bigger numbers and less overall diversity and gimmicks

the market is mature, it's never really going back to the constant and necessary stream of change, innovation and excitement we experienced in the 1970s and 1980s, the future will more than likely end up in the hands of unexciting do-it-all appliances made by a small pool of 3 or 4 megacorporations and their varying subsidiaries

Linux-based Windows themed Windows 50 Anniversary.
Free.
Cloud Based, you only buy ultra high speed connected screens (wearables, the walls at your home, the ones one your selfdriving car, etc).
Only works loged in: It reads your face and insta changes to your profile, every fucking time.

Augs vs Naturals.

Android / iOS based

Regular OS like Windows or Mac will ocupe a minority in the market share and serve only for special purposes.

Completely cloud based
Internet speeds will be fast enough not to need local storage
Gaymers will just rent remote GPUs to play their stuff
Everything will be stored in someone else's server

A botnet of things that are high spec, but also cheap since sell data about you

>Everything will be stored in someone else's server
That sounds pretty dystopian.

I just want PCs to be really small and portable. Maybe by then everyone will switch to M.2 and there would be no need for bulky cases.

>Internet speeds will be fast enough to not need local storage
lol

Neptune Hub sounds pretty interesting. I hope computers are like that in the future.

Basically, you have a smartwatch-esque device with all your data and computing power on it and you use portable screens and input devices to connect and interface with it.

Like the Chromebook; Any device you log into will fetch all your shit instantly from the cloud.
Maybe even like a thin client, the device you're holding in your hand is just doing the rendering and displaying, all the actual computation and storage happens on some virtualized thing in the cloud. Since the 1970s we've gone from big expensive systems that we telneted into from cheap local terminals, to more unitary systems that we interface with locally, and I think we'll go back in the other direction now.

>personal computers
>in 10 or 20 years
u wot

20 years from now
>personal computers
Very uncommon, to the point that "workstation" will take over as the nomenclature for desktop PCs. Most work will be done over the network. The desktop PC will offer only basic functions. We're going back to terminals and mainframes.

>operating systems
Windows will be gone. macOS will be considered legacy software. Microsoft will produce Microsoft Linux under its own branding, which will run most of the world's infrastructure. MS Linux will operate as a corporation separate from mainline Microsoft and be made up of mostly former RHEL personnel.

Just my hunches, no real data to back this stuff up.

>Just my hunches, no real data to back this stuff up.

Can you explain why your hunch just happens to align with an earlier post?

I have this hunch because very few young people I meet have desktop computers, and only a few have Windows laptops.

Windows is a desktop operating system. As the market for desktop users shrinks we'll see a population where the average user has a higher level of knowledge than the users of today. Microsoft will have a couple of options. Continue to develop Windows 10 to make it more friendly to advanced users, or let the Windows division quietly become a legacy project and release a Linux based operation system that will require less investment on their part. And the users will be more happy for it. And there is a lot of money to be made using the RHEL business model. Microsoft has always wanted to get in on that, but consumer operating systems were always more profitable for them. When that goes they'll move to the next market. I don't think they will be able to get a dominant market share with phones. Android has already taken that position and I don't think MS can beat them.

*Google has already taken that position.

>20 years from now
Maybe in 50 years. I can't see network speeds improving enough in 20 years for this system you have described to take root, or for society to accept it.

I mean, how small do you need them to be? A smartphone fits in your pocket and has all the power you need for any task that could be performed in this form factor.