codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/forEach
youtu.be/2pL28CcEijU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Old thread

Have you switched to Vue.js yet?

How are torrent site operators breaking the law?

How can they charge the site owners with anything if they have a DMCA takedown list and the website is saying "Don't upload works you do not own or have the rights to"

like bad projects that only have build scripts for linux?

no, I'm perfectly fine with React+Mobx

access to ubuntu repository and PPAs.
easy to update things with apt, run dev servers, etc.
probably more time consuming if you try to do it purely in windows in the end.

man, if you want to develop on windows just go for it, it's probably fine.
Feel like webdev is one of the rare areas where linux "just werks" though.

So I started the web developer bootcamp course on Udemy by Colt Steele.

I had a fairly easy time getting through all the HTML, CSS and Bootstrap components and I've gotten through some Javascript stuff. Although I've noticed that my progress has slowed.

I'm feeling a bit of doubt about my own intelligence. I am kind of struggling with comprehending Javascript. It took me 30 minutes to fully understand a foreach loop.

Is this normal? Am I stupid? Is this the wrong career path for me?

Sorry if I'm coming off as a whingy faggot.

if you made it this far you are probably smart enough user, dont sweat it.

what exactly did you get hung up on with that topic, that took so long?

1. you are a whiny faggot
2. stick with it
3. you'll get it eventually
4. self-confidence bro
5. fo shizzle

It was using a foreach loop with an array and an anonymous function. I don't know why it took me so long to understand it. I feel like a struggle to remember all of the syntax.

Now that I look back at it I don't know what was confusing me so much it really isn't that complicated.

as i said in just stick with it man

array looping and closures are things you'll encounter a lot and now you've got the jist of it so dont stop now. fug outta here nig and get back to coding.

>I feel like a struggle to remember all of the syntax.
i think it becomes easier when you know what each part of the syntax is

a function is just another value you can pass to a function

Yeah, I gotta get back to it.

Yeah, I'll have to go over the docs or read some books so that I know what I'm actually doing.

Linuxtards think that in order to develop programs you absolutely have to use poorly made, unintuitive text editors and software packages that are frequently abandoned by their maintainers that only work on them in their spare time anyway.

Just use Windows.

no need to worry about knowing all the syntax by heart, as long as you know how to look things up and figure them out by yourself in the end.

would recommend to bookmark mdn or add it to your list of search providers if you haven't yet
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/forEach

how much are they paying you?

first for Win 10 + Ubuntu VM

nice shitpost

Nothing, I do it for free to hopefully save some poor soul from years of frustration and eventually coming to think it's normal to be constantly having problems with your computer.

Linux users are abused housewives.

wtf are you even on about.
You use the same editors (VS Code, Atom, whatever) on linux or win.
Same with other things like NPM, etc.

what exactly do you use on windows, that's not available on linux when it comes to web development?

But Sublime text, VSC, Atom, Netbeans... are avaliable in Linux. I spent 4 years as a developer using Mint-Ubuntu. You should install Gentoo.

>samefag

it's not like you were replying to someone. you just threw it out there to just use windows, so the question of who's paying you is warranted.

don't know how you can consider yourself a developer if you don't use MacOS Sierra.

meant for

Yeah, most of those tools are available on Linux also. But there's so much other stuff. Changing your network settings on Linux can be anything from mildly annoying to a straight up nightmare if you make even the slightest mistake. On Windows this is not a problem. Dealing with user accounts and admin permissions sensibly rather than either having to type in your sudo password or just straight up unlocking the computer for everyone.
Using Linux day to day is a complete fucking chore and it's not normal. Please, for your own sake, choose a better life than this. You're worth more.

>everyone who disagrees with me is a samefag

usermod -a -G shills user

>Changing your network settings on Linux can be anything from mildly annoying to a straight up nightmare

I give you that.
Doubt anyone would argue, that windows isn't more user friendly for the general user.

You were specifically talking about editors and software packages earlier though.

>says others are shitposting
>shitposts

dont you have a project to work on?

i just thought it was very shitposty to say "how much are they paying you" instead of actually replying to the content of the post

jesus christ, are windows users this insecure?

>I'm feeling a bit of doubt about my own intelligence. I am kind of struggling with comprehending Javascript. It took me 30 minutes to fully understand a foreach loop.
It took me like 3 days to understand for loop in PHP when I was first learning to program. Being 12 probably had something to do with this, but still. Don't ever stop because you think you're not good enough. Stop only if you stop enjoying it.

How do you people with full-time jobs find the time to learn new stuff?

>4147 ▶
>How do you people with full-time jobs find t
quick skim-reading mostly

>Changing your network settings on Linux can be anything from mildly annoying to a straight up nightmare if you make even the slightest mistake.
use the gui, if you need more control beyond basics you're going to need to understand what you are doing regardless of the OS.

>On Windows this is not a problem.
Window networking is "not a problem" because you literally can't do anything remotely useful with it.

>Window networking is "not a problem" because you literally can't do anything remotely useful with it.
Name one thing you can't do with windows networking that is useful for a developer.

this is /wdg/ not sysadmin general

run your editor, run npm, run git
what else do you really need

can anybody rec me tutorials (videos, books, whatev) on building API's with Python and/or Django? Can't seem to find anything other than a basic four-line API.

Node.JS or PHP?

Node any day

networking namespaces

if you're completely new to backend go php and get a solid foundation enough to build some shit and then move onto something like nodejs or .net.

reason for this is setting up with php is just a piece of cake. trust me you dont wanna into configuration when you're just starting out.

if you're happy being ignorant of the layers beneath your application you will remain mediocre at best for the rest of time.

Node

if you already know JS even more so.

if you had a car would you want to put lots of time into studying how every part of it works when you just want to drive to work

And those are useful to a developer how?

i think he'd want the former, being an autist and all

If I just needed to get from A to B without caring I'd use public transit. If you're going to own a car then you fucking better pimp it out, why in the living fuck would anyone trust the defaults in a car now a days? it's a fucking death trap on wheels.
if you're limited to frontend javascript then you're not really a programmer you're a graphic designer, networking namespaces don't apply.
>hurrr

Where do you draw the line with that?
Knowing your immediate tools is the most important thing. There is little use in diving so deep into a specific area like that.
You will never know all the in and outs of the underlying network architecture, file systems and all the other things unless you make that specifically your area of expertise.
Then you are not really a web developer anymore though. Not that that is better or worse in any sense.

Linux permissions system is mountains better than Windows. It will especially come out in development.

get hacked. Oh wait...

yourcomment.txt | /dev/null

Full stack development extends all the way down to layer 1, as required. Usually you don't go that low, but if you have to you should be able to as it's your job.

>public transit
i forgot everyone on the internet seems to live in a big american city where no one needs cars

>Unknown command 'yourcomment.txt'

Mate, you find a problem in everything, Jesus Christ.

>Using Linux day to day is a complete fucking chore and it's not normal.
coming from somebody who likely uses google to solve their linux problems.

If you know what you are doing and take the time to learn Linux as well as you know windows you can get just as much (or even more) done on a linux much easier than a windows. you just have to know what your doing.

>If you know what you are doing and take the time to learn Linux as well as you know windows you can get just as much (or even more) done on a linux much easier than a windows
Linux users keep repeating this but it'll never be true.
Please understand that using an OS does not need to include battered wife syndrome.

The only thing that is certain about the world is that nothing is perfect.

>not knowing how to ride a bicycle means a tricycle must be better
Windows users keep repeating this but it'll never be true.
Please understand that using an OS does not need to include downs syndrome and vulnerability denial

Why does every avarage joe who wrote "books" about JS claim to know JS more than you, then present a talk at some conference where they spew utter fucking bullshit?
Like look at this nigger youtu.be/2pL28CcEijU
He doesn't even fucking know that a boolean true represents an integer with the value of 1.
Most of his talk just showcases how fucking clueless he is about truthy and falsy values in different expressions
Does shit like this anger you, /wdg/?

Recommend me a book on Javascript and C# pls (company uses C# as backend (?))

I'm working on a website that kinda emulates the win95 aesthetic. The interface is starting to concern me, as it looks ok on my 1366x768 craptop, but I think that on higher resulutions, the interface will be far too small. Wat do?

That's awsome, did you incorporate JS to make the the windows movable?

make every element exact measurement in pixels according to what win95 used.

Windows 9x, 2k, xp is supposed to look small on a bigger resolution

use vw units instead of pixels?

I'm sorry, user, but it seems like you are the nigger here.

Have you read You Don't Know JS? He knows what he's talking about, he goes very deep in the technicalities of javascript, and gives some of the best arguments I've seen against using the Class identifier to make OOP in javascript.

The guy knows his shit, however I would agree that this presentation isn't his best work.

who /wishes they did real software engineering but circumstances coerced them into web dev/ here

C# and the .NET framework (Apress).

You can just pick up javascript along the way through online tutorials and the YDKJS book, it's a half-assed language so full of quirks that most books don't explain its features very well.

media queries

Why these? They are worst choices. Pick something like .NET or Python or Java.

I did not read the books. First time I hear about the dude in fact. However, if he went ahead and said in his little head that "yes, this is how I want to represent my knowledge" then I'm uncertain whether he really knows his shit. That talk was the worst first impression one could make. He even says himself that JS does some under the hood things that the users/devs normally don't see, such as the Array(3) representing different things in different engines... or wait actually they are the same thing, their toString() just says something different in the console.
Honestly, I don't know what kind of person would say that it's fine to display such cluelessness about truthy and falsey values in a presentation.

node is far superior to python for most web server needs

Yeah, that's the point, there's no "scaling up" this UI without it looking like blurry ass. I guess the only solution is just having a 2x version for really big resolutions and hoping all the others know how to zoom into webpages and don't mind blurry shit.

Yup, I'm aiming for "theme park" accuracy tough. Some details aren't worth it for what's otherwise a small project.

>ctrl+f "angular" 0 of 0

plebs

angular is ded, react and vue killed it

I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt to the guy and say he was probably nervous about doing the presentation so he stumbled on his words.

Again, read his book if you want to understand his point.

Get this javashit of Sup Forums

what's there to scale, that would become blurry except the icon maybe?

looks neat though

GOOD

This general cluelessness surrounding Javascript just infuriates me to no end tho. People treat JS like it's another language than it it is operating according to that other language's rules. Guess what, JS is its own language with its own rules and quirks(!)
Oh, but user doesn't like a language with quirks? Good luck finding a language without its own quirks. Hint: there's none
Why are people so against going on MDN and looking up what things do and how they are supposed to behave? Curious people always get told to look up the "spec" but if they do so googling for this spec they'll most likely end up in the w3 drafts webpage that has nothing to do with end user/developer documentation. It's meant for the JS interpreter developers to define behaviour.

are you seriously complaining about javascript in web development general? seek help

Lol nope. Javascript is very bad language and if you want easy lightweight language then Python is better. And if you need RPS then Go is superior.

I really hope it gets replaced by something much better someday. Everyone uses it because we have to. It was never a good language.

Nice, I wanna make a web-based floppy bird clone. How would I go about writing it in python?

>Everyone uses it because we have to.
No we don't. I'm using Typescript and so does a lot of other people.

are*

wasn't the discussion about web servers?a floppy bird clone is not something that runs on a server

I'm a retard, mixed it up with another conversation

>he doesn't write a flappy birds clone using AJAX requests to send keystrokes and having the server respond with the updated css positioning the bird div

wasm is also around the corner for crybabies like you

CSS best language for ajax requests

I doubt wasm will change much, unless you output to a canvas element, you still have to mutate the DOM. I sincerely thought asm.js was gonna be a big deal, but after some transpiled cpp games, that was it. Nobody gave a shit.

asm.js is really nothing more than JS with types but not really under the hood for optimizations. It was never meant to be written by hand.
Frankly, I'm not sure why it didn't take off either, seeing that wasm will essentially be the same thing with native-like runtime, but instead of a text document you get a binary blob

$(document).keydown(function(vk) {
$.ajax('/keyhandler?key=' + vk.keyCode)
.done(function(data) {
$('#bird').attr('style', data);
});
});
This is all the JS you're allowed to have on your page. Now make a flappy bird clone.

please let me go mister

Yeah, I wasn't speaking about hand-written asm.js, just compiled from c / cpp. I'm sure there are 3-4 companies out there that use it, but too much of existing frontend codebases are written in javascript and it seems assbackwards to both rewrite code and train devs in other languages to remake an app that works "good enough".
Sure, wasm will mean that in the coming years I might be writing some python-flavoured languages and that I won't be needed parens, braces end optional semicolons everywhere, but other than that, I think the development of the wasm vm will just be another vector of extending javscript.

That's actually a pretty neat challenge. Too bad network latency will kill you.

Is MongoDB the best choice to use for a REST API?

Who else /webgl/?

is frontend easier than backend?

no. rest api has to have a structure, so why would you need unstructured data store?

depends on what you need them to do