Intel to launch 18-core Core i9-7980XE CPU

>Intel to launch 18-core Core i9-7980XE CPU

What the fuck can you do with 18 cores?

also
>inb4 17 gentoo VMs

AMD BTFO

Should speed up video encoding quite a bit. Those animes don't turn themselves into webms, ya know.

I want off moar coar ride.

There's already two other threads for this shit and one has already hit the bump limit.

>GPUs compete for performance/watt instead of actual performance
>CPUs compete for MOAR COARZS instead of actual performance

What a retarded times we live on

Hardly.

Also, I just thought of what AMD should do for their next CPU socket.
AM5 = 1,000,000 pin availability, all future AMD CPU's (from 8 core too 256 core) can use it, and to make sure they all seat correctly it has a central guide pin with a raised keylane so it can only go in one certain way.
The AM5 socket can then be AMD's standard for a very VERY long time.

Compile Chrome in an hour

>1,000,000 pin availability

>Actual performance
The sofware devs should cater to the hardware manufacturers not the other way around. If they choose to do moar cores they should get with the times.

Yeah, lets ignore all the software in the previous 2017 years of the world existence, we need more cores

AMD funnbois keep starting this thread pretending that they're cumtell shills.

>What the fuck can you do with 18 cores?
Open 3 modern websites

Corelets detected. Face it, even Intel knows MOAR CORES is the future. Even though their architecture is terrible at it.

Modern software will benefit from "moar coars XD", especially since we're approaching the minimum die size possible according to physics and quantum mechanics.

We can't make them any smaller unless we use 3D transistors or different materials, so this is what we have for now.

>tfw $100 a core

>2017
>PCIE 3.0
>IBM Power9 Support PCIE 4.0

In hour you can compile it with 4 cores.

You can do that now.

>Open 3 modern websites with javascript enabled and no adblocking on an unfiltered internet connection with no adblocking proxy (even if transparent)
oh.

I just did that easily, you should get a mac computer with an i7

How does this impact video rendering?

Actually due to Javascript's lack of built-in multithreading and general shittyness, the best for loading bloated Javascript monstrosities is still a lot of single core performance. Not that it matters much since such crappy websites only load marginally (~20%) faster even with an i7-7700K.

Everyone uses multithreaded browsers though, each JS instance might only be single threaded, but you've got one instance of the JS interpreter for each script.

Machine learning

Laugh at the morons that bought Threadripper garbage

When you run 900 GPU algos nobody cares how much each card does as long as its cheap and low latency

If you aren't sure what it does, it isn't for you.
The i9's are purely for production purposes; ultra-high resolution image/video manipulation and rendering, small tech business tier server unit use, virtual machines for internet cafes... not gamers.

Game dev too.
UE4 on less than 8 cores is pain.

AMD corelets are finished. They had a go but Intel completely DOMINATED them with this.

Im downgrading AMD to SELL. Get out while you can.

Oh yeah, something like that is included. 3d modelling, game production, anything like that.

Yeah I'm getting threadripper only for lightmass.

be.ret4rded.

If the program is more than 5 years old, this should be a new version of it, or you should contemplate why you're using a 5-year-old+ program, instead of a new one or an alternative.

Intel fanboys are this butthurt. Don't worry, I'm sure just as many people will buy their HEDT platform as they did before. Which is basically no-one.

Were not even close to the minimum size, we just getting close to one aspect of the CPU hitting the minimum size. Much of the CPU is still measured in 20 tests 70 nm distances, there will come a time when that gets down to 7, but there's a lot of process improvements that can happen along the way.

While something like that might be physically possible, not 1 million pens but something along the lines of making 5 to 6000 pin socket even though the pins aren't used, could be possible. However the odds that in the 5 to 10 years it would take you to use all those pins that you couldn't think of a new way to lay them out or better routing method for it, or there's new features that you don't want to keep the same motherboard for such as a RAM improvement. It makes it a nonviable option.

Slightly less, I'm buying threadripper if the leaks are to be believed.

[email protected] is a pretty sweet jam.
Sure there are higher end parts even in that leak, but they'll likely be priced rather high too - that 1976X looks fantastic.

18 things at once, obviously

wow AMD won

You can do 36 things at once, it has HT.

Some serious multi threaded shit. Transcoding videos alot better comes to mind, since hardware acceleration is a meme.

vms don't reserve exclusive access to a core or thread like the do with ram.
You can ran a shit ton of gentoo vms and you probably wouldn't see any difference in cpu performance.
When starting a vm and specifying the core usage, you are just setting a cap on how many cores it can actually make use of from the host machine.

Ram will be your limiting factor.

I use a 6700k and I typically run:
arch as my host os,
2 x wes 7,
1 x arch vps,
1 x wes7 with a 1060 passed though for gaymen
all at the same time and I dont see any change in my performance.

Not having a kvm switch though is absolute hell. You better make damn sure your shit is in order before you pass though the mouse+keyboard to a vm because if it locks up or fails to boot then you arnt going to get control back and you have to reset the whole computer, unless you have another mouse or keyboard.

>then get viruses
>virus operator checks specs
>sees your machine
>congrats, you are now his new flagship workhorse

>Transcoding videos alot better comes to mind, since hardware acceleration is a meme.
It isn't a meme, it's just not something you should use unless setting the bitrate very very high (capture) or you're doing quick transcode for immediate use.

Quality encoding should always be done by software though, since the quality will always be better.

But why would you chose an Intel 18 core over an AMD 16 core for that?
Especially when the Intel one costs so much that you could probably get a 24 core or 36 core Epyc for the price instead?

Leaked prices show that the Intel 12 core is likely going to be $1700, which makes sense since their last top HEDT 10 core, the 6950X, was $1750.
The Threadripper 16 core is likely cheaper than Intel's 12 core. Epyc 32c is probably in the $2000-$3500 range which would probably be closer in price to Intel's 18 core than the Threadripper 16 core is.

If you need more than the AMD 16 core for software transcoding, you'd probably look at having a dedicated server for it rather than getting an Intel 18 core.

Yea, Ill be the first to admit that I have no clue what the fuck Im doing in the video transcoding department.

its good for shit like livestreamers or security cameras(?).
If you have an ffmpeg line using hevc_nvenc that makes a decent output file I would greatly appreciate it.
I have about a terrabyte of shit that I dont want to be a terrabyte of shit anymore.

Didn't say I would...
I've expressed my like for the alleged 1976X though.

But what would you put in the server for this?
Instead of mentioning a server, say what cpu our server should have and by default youd be telling what cpu a desktop should have for this shit too.

>tfw multiple Epyc 32 core cpus in the same machine

Get BTFO by AMD's 16-core Threadripper in literally any measurable metric.

>160W TDP
>Non-soldered IHS

Thanks Intel.

Enjoy!

don't forget to buy a new power supply

Intel managed to price themselves out of the market despite being the only option for years. That takes talent.