What's the best way to create a cheap ghetto NAS? Brand new shit's expensive, man...

What's the best way to create a cheap ghetto NAS? Brand new shit's expensive, man. Are there like cheap chink drives or NAS units?

Can I get dirt cheap 320 GB HDDs from ebay and make something out of them?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496076891&sr=8-2&keywords=sata controller
ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2U-LFF-CTO-CHASSIS-/251598854830?hash=item3a9475daae:g:sxsAAOSwnDZT0rUy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

use arrays of pci-e cards which act as SATA controllers. you can get about 4 sata drives for each 1x pci-e card.

fill your server full of these cards

oh, heres something like what I was talking about.
amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496076891&sr=8-2&keywords=sata controller

just use an old pc, any 2c 2007~ cpu will do.

Any computer don't using + XPEnology

ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2U-LFF-CTO-CHASSIS-/251598854830?hash=item3a9475daae:g:sxsAAOSwnDZT0rUy

ask the seller to swap the CPUs to L series xeons

Rasbperry Pi 3 and four powered external USB 3.0 2TB harddrives.

There you go, JBOD/RAID5/RAID10 NAS for the price of a Pi 3 and four harddrives.

Better and cheaper than most SOHO NAS products out there.

power draw???
reliability???

>usb3 on a Pi
heh

Orangepi and an external HDD

do you realize how much energy, heat, and noise that thing consumes/generates?

impractical for a home system.

You are on Sup Forums, do you really expect any kind of competence?

>l series xeons

This, or freenas

HP Microservers can serve nicely as a NAS base -pretty cheap second hand for the older ones.

I use a couple of N40Ls myself

Orange Pi's sata actually goes through USB bus sadly.

I have one, they don't even have gigabit ethernet... a shame...

I mean, you want cheap. this is about as cheap and feature rich as it's going to get. power will be higher and reliability isn't really that much difference - easy to repair and replace parts too if anything does go wrong.

you can also get a better OS on it and have expand ability in mind

pi's and other microboards choke with anything over 100mbps. There a odroid with gbe but it's still limited and you can only have a few usb drives attatched.

Should have fallen for the odroid meme

how are you doing raid5 on that??? jbod parity?

if you do this make sure your shit is secure

a lot of them aren't

OP don't listen to them
If you want to go full ghetto the best solution is to buy a broken netbook with working motherboard (10-20€), generic power adaptor with right voltage (5-10€) if needed, USB hub, USB to sata adapters (3€ on aliexpress) 1 for HDD and as many HDDs as you want (1€ per 10Gb)
You'll be probably limited to 100mbit internet but it'll work well, low power consumption

He said cheap so I recommended the cheapest

How much space do you want ?

2 bay NAS are not that expensive.

How much?

this

Western Digital sells low-end 2-bay NAS for $150.

>power draw will be higher
>cheap
Pick one.

This is stupid, for an extra $10 you can get a true NAS retail solution if you buy an older model.

Power draw will be significantly lower too which will end up less expensive in the long run.

I'm talking about the 20/30€ range excluding HDDs for a totally upgradable x86 powered solution, power consumption excluding disks will be around 10w or less wich will be totally acceptable.
Also, netbooks are one of the most unwanted computing solutions ever so he can provably ask his aunt if she has one for free, that's because they suck in user experience but the power is really good for a file server, seedbox and even an http server, basically everything depending on OPs needs.

The cheapest AIO NAS is around 50€, for a 5w 2 bay arm with closed software. And I have one, it kinda sucks.

I wasn't asking about the 2 bay nas.

Most of your budget will be in drives.

>Can I get dirt cheap 320 GB HDDs from ebay and make something out of them?
that would be more expensive than buying new HDDs

>(1€ per 10Gb)
what the fuck ? are you talking about some high class SSDs ?

>1€/10gb
>12€/128gb
>cheapest 128gb SSD is 50€

Now that I think about it it was slightly cheaper than a new WD hard disk which is like 60€/TB, 90 for 2TB
So I'd say 5 or less €/GB

Yes I was wrong but not that wrong

I got a two bay nas for like $90 brand new a few years ago. (Use as backup device for my server).
Has gig ethernet, usb, can take drives up to 6tb per bay (at the time 6tb was all they certified would work, so maybe different now). But yeah depending on your storage requirements/config your main expense will be drives. So say you got a two bay nas. Hey great, but if you got 8TB of data and you want to have room for expansion and you want raid then your only option is for two 10TB dries. Those drives cost like around $400 per drive. A 2bay nas cost like maybe $150-200. Meanwhile, a older atx computer can be rebuilt as a server for much cheaper cost. (4x3TB Raid 5= 9TB will run you maybe 400 for the whole set)

for a "ghetto build" a WD Blue should be fine, which is 32€/TB
a WD Red would be 34€ / TB

and buying small HDDs will get more expensive than just buying a new 4TB drive or whatever because you'll need to buy sata/pata controllers too, and an 8port sata controller starts at ~100€

>I'm talking about the 20/30€ range excluding HDDs for a totally upgradable x86 powered solution
you can get core2quads for free at every junkyard

>wd red 2TB @ 70€
Where, I paid 90 last time
Anyway we're not discussing drives but boards/systems and as I said, given that you have fast interfaces, a USB3 to sata adapter is 3€ and then the limit is the lan.

> c2d quad.
>low powered
A full system including power and ram is not free.

I have an old server board with a single PCI-E 16x slot. What RAID card would you guys recommend for maximum usage (seeing as I can't expand)?

Buy some enterprise server surplus off of eBay. You can probably get a nice low-power xeon rack less than 5 years old for

Western Digital WD Red 4TB, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s (WD40EFRX) : € 139,-- (34,750/TB)

>A full system including power and ram is not free.
i have a core2quad q8600 with 4 GB ram, added a gt620, draws 42 watts while watching movies, which would be < 20€/year for electricity running 24/7

>0.05€/kWh
What the fuck? Where?

austria, i just looked it up on the last bill, the most i paid was 4.29 Cent/kWh
currently it's at 2.2243 Cent/kWh

Something from QNAP will set you back about ~250 for a 2 bay on the lower end of the scale.

qnap and synology are well established in NAS , lots of 'apps' and other shit for them that you might find usefull.
WD on the otherhand is pretty sparse for apps for its NAS solutions

As for power consumption, a typically 2 bay nas will be between 20-30w when in use, lower in idle.
a general PC system used as a NAS will be around 70-100w depending on the cpu you are using and those are idle numbers.

>Better and cheaper than most SOHO NAS products out there.
Sure, if you consider speeds in the single digits to be "superior" to most cheapo boxes pulling several dozen MB/s no problem. You're better off running that USB RAID monstrosity on your personal PC and setting up shares for other devices on your network.

If you run linux just install samba and quit being a faggot.

I've been thinking of getting a AMD 5350 quadcore apu for a home server, it's rated at a tdp of 25w but shit is old as fuck and the motherboards only have like two sata connections.

Avoid hardware RAID, especially if all you are doing is basic home file storage.

If you want SAS connectivity or more ports then just get an LSI JBOD host bus adapter.

wtf, a simple home server don't need high end parts. you can use an old desktop from 2004 just buy two or 4 or fucking ten high capacity hdds as you need. Hell I ran an old Opteron 170/4GB ram box as my home server from 2004 - 2015. somebitch ran just fine for all those years. only changes i made to it was storage upgrades. Finally phased it out in 2015 for whole new build. Ran Server 2k3 & WHS 2011. I still use WHS 2011 now. Werks fine.
You don't need hardware raid for a home server build. Most mobos have raid built in or you can use windows raid feature (Raid 0/1/5). Actually windows raid is kinda better cause in addition to raid benefits 3rd party disk tools (diskcheckup for one) can still see all the disks and report there status. hardware raid, you don't get this option. 3rd party tools can't "see" the drives in hardware raid. In the old days hardware raid was useful cause performance boost in raid 1/5 calculations,parity,etc. But now with fast cpus this all becomes moot.