/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon - compute/Multitask/mixed use
>Threadripper/i9 soon

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050/Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@90-144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs
>Computex May 30th

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/RqfrBP
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144018
amd.com/en-us/products/chipsets/am4
pcpartpicker.com/list/F9hPWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/bgYctJ
pcpartpicker.com/user/Rexmundo/saved/4qJbvK
pcpartpicker.com/user/Rexmundo/saved/FQq23C
pcpartpicker.com/list/gMpgcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/28yDVY
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FZ3fcc
techpowerup.com/233817/asrock-unveils-the-x299e-itx-ac-mini-itx-x299-quad-channel-memory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thoughts about the Corsair RM750X 750W?
I want a quite PSU, will it do me good?
I have a i5 4460 and a R9 290 4GB, draws around 110W idling I think.
Will it stay in the passive mode even when having it on for like 15 hours?

plat fanless? get a fanless seasonic 450w. i speak for my ax760 80+ platinum that fanless is the go to. i wish my gpu was quieter though...

pcpartpicker.com/list/RqfrBP
Hypothetical build for my dad with a military theme (hence the case). He's an AMD fan, but isn't too into gaming outside of facebook. Honestly this is probably overkill for him

That much power is unneeded but yeah, if you want it to not stay at low load then go for it
do remember that fanless PSU exist though, if it's quietness you're searching for

Get a 1050ti, it's stronger than 460/560
rest is good

Meh it looks fine

These high core i9's are going to be useless for even extreme enthusiast gaming, by the time they are being utilized properly, there will be better and cheaper processors on the market. Just not worth it from a common sense perspective, as IPC will increase and die size will shrink.

consider going g4560 instead

why dont we have a unified socket standard yet? if intel amd ibm and the people behind arm worked on it it would progress the industry tenfold. make it so its not even x86 dependant

what part of AMD fan did you not get?

Seems nice but any other good fanless ones than that? The 400W Seasonic is $170 in Sweden, and that's a bit much for me.

Was the cheapest semi-passive one on the store I looked at. I will look at other stores though. Are the RM series good in general and how low you think I can go while staying passive if we for safety say the PC draws 200W?

wrong if he doesnt game. get a mitx g4560 build and paint the case yourself, he'll love it. its like when my grandparents asked me to build them a great computer i didnt jump to a i5 1050 build, i built them an i3 build in itx and focused on quality and storage

>mitx g4560 build
see:

you get what you pay for and having worked pc repairs and from personal experience its usually the psu that dies first.

so tell him to stop being a fanboy, if you have to wait for r3 and go with the best apu they sell

>see

Is it okay to pair 1070 with a cheap motherboard? Is there anything that can go wrong? I'm thinking about getting 1070 for my R5 1600 build. Motherboard is Asrock AB350M Pro4.

>you get what you pay for and having worked pc repairs and from personal experience its usually the psu that dies first.
But would you say it's bad, I have a EVGA SuperNOVA 750B1 now and I would guess it's worse. At least it sounds much, that's why I want to switch.

And R3 would probably suit better or one of the upcoming Athlon processors.

its not worse in the sense it will fail faster. its a good psu and will run silent till 70% load i believe. thats where buying more wattage comes in to play

>with a cheap motherboard?
Yes, perfectly ok
The PCIe slot is always supposed to deliver the same amount of power (& be able to) regardless of motherboard
And as long as it's not PCIe 1.1 (does that even happen anymore), there won't be any performance problem.
Older gen PCIe slots offer less bandwidth, but it's needs to be really old and not run at 16x for some reason to really affect performance

theyre still making new athlon processors? thats a surprise. binned r3 no doubt

thats not exactly a cheap board in terms of quality. nothing will go wrong on paper. amd and nvidia is a terrible pair though

What did you mean then? I found some more info that said that it would stay passive up to 300W, so it will probably be good.

>theyre still making new athlon processors? thats a surprise. binned r3 no doubt
The AM4 motherboards all say they will support AM4 Athlon Processors, so new AM4 Athlons are coming, likely to do battle with the Pentiums. it'll be an interesting fight to see how Athlon handles the G4560

component quality, it wasnt an attack on the corsair psu.

source or gtfo

>guise this is da reel thred come over heer

Fuck you OP, no i wont come to your thread. Make a trip so i can block your attention seeking faggot ass
>also sage

Fuck off, your thread has been dead since yesterday
No, we're not going there.

considering the r3 is supposed to be a low end i too wonder, as long as the athlons have a good apu and low tdp ill be happy.

Oh thought you meant it was shit or something.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144018
>Supports AMD RYZEN Series Processors and 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon processors for Socket AM4
>7th Gen A-series / Athlon processors support up to 2400 MHz.

I can show you a picture of a noctua heatsink made for an AMD Opteron on the SP3 socket

some bullshit flavor text from a motherboard is not a reliable source you know..

my gpu is being loud. i decided to clean it and it was fairly dusty but its still a bit loud. what should i do? hd7970 old school

Monitor GPU temp & fan speed in-game using afterburner
Mine is also pretty loud by default so i had to make a custom curve

amd.com/en-us/products/chipsets/am4
Even AMD's own website references AM4 platform Athlons as coming at some point.

even at idle, i think the fans are just loud or something.

The fan may need lubricating.
Sewing machine oil is good for computer fans.

That can also happen. My fans when reaching a specific speed gets louder because it rattles against plastic or something
But do check their speed using afterburner regardless

got some poorfag friend who wants a gaming computer but doesn't want to spend more than 525 USD including a screen

build something for him

Should I buy the 1060 now or wait to see if the price will drop soon

tell your friend to buy some knee pads ($15) and spend a couple weekends sucking dick

then do a ryzen r5 build with a 480 and whatever 1080 monitor

8 GB or 16 GB RAM for a budget build?

he's not pretty enough to suck dick, which is a shame

Can I safely overclock the 1700 using the stock cooler without sending my temps through the roof? Trying to cut about $100-150 from my build, and dropping from the 1700x and an aftermarket HSF to the 1700 would do it pretty well.

Am I giving up any realistic amount of performance/gaining a significant amount of heat by doing so?

pcpartpicker.com/list/F9hPWX

8 is more than enough for gaming if you are on a tight budget.

depends on how high of an overclock. The Wraith Spire can handle a decent overclock but it can't handle a full bore overclock

Whats wrong with AMD CPU + NVIDIA GPU? I've seen anons post about this occasionally and no one has offered any explanation as to why this is an issue.

gpu performs worse on amd cpu than intel, its not related to cpu strength either.

Maybe 3.7GHz at best (for an extended full load) but no higher
If we're talking partial load then yeah, mine can handle 3.9 at partial load, but that's not ideal
Please get a cooler if you're serious into overclocking. A $40 one will do great and last you for years. If you're expecting the wraith spire to be made for overclocking you're in for a disappointement.

They don't match well. Or used to, don't know if they patched it already

That's not very true.
The AMD GPU driver isn't as well multithreaded as the Nvidia one is so it tends to bottleneck more lower end CPUs, which makes card perform quite worse than they should.
For i5 / R5 & anything over, it doesn't do any difference.
6+ cores & Nvidia doesn't go well together and can cause a lower GPU utilisation in some rare games, but that's nothing specific to Ryzen. And is so rare that it isn't a relevant issue.

pcpartpicker.com/list/bgYctJ

I know Ryzen + Nvidia is not an ideal combination but RX 580 are all sold out and there are currently no estimates when new cards arrive. I'm also from Eastern Europe and elecricity here is rather expensive so less power consumption is definitely better.
Also that 1070 is pretty big. Won't sagging be a problem? Are reinforced PCI-E slots useful or is it only marketing trick?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Rexmundo/saved/4qJbvK

Thats my current build, having some power issues ( i think) it black screens during gaming at ultra sertings, under clocking GPU has helped... Looking to upgrade to something like this maybe. Waiting for Vega to come out before i choose a GPU

On mobile so links might be switched. Any thoughts or suggestions? Im fine if some one can make it cheaper, but i want it to be pretty.

im not talking about amd gpus at all.

I want an RX 570/580 but I can't find one for a reasonable price. I was planning on buying a 1060 because of this. I'm not looking for XTREME gaymen, so I figured a 1060 would work.

That seems very expensive.
Will you make use of the 8 cores over an R5 1600?
That expensive AIO isn't gonna be much cooler than a high-end air cooler (2 - 3°C during full load maybe?), nor it is going to be much cooler than other 120mm AIOs.
Could also downgrade the motherboard too. Any b350 do the job, if it's really quality you want (for some reason?) there are plenty of good b350 motherboard, or you could even downgrade to an Asus x370 Taichi which is among the best x370s
That's a lot of RAM
Could save money by going for a non-samsung SSD
You're not gonna use anywhere near 850w even with an old r9 290. Going to 600w would be much more cost effcient
You're spending $80 on case fans and none of them are 140mm, and that's quite sad to watch.

Is it worth pushing my 1070 any further than 2050mhz core and 8608mhz vram ?

My last line wasn't either

He would actually be able to put together a decent system with the $500 alone for the tower, but he's basically paying for even a subpar budget with about $350-400 left with a monitor.

>amd and Nvidia is a terrible pair

Can we stop the retarded misinformation here. Amd with Nvidia is fine. It's been factually tested that anything that happens to ryzen with Nvidia under dx12 also happens to ryzen with and under dx11. It's just some teething and driver issues which the companies needed to fix and have fixed by now most likely.

1700 for sale at frys.

Ryzen with amd *

Alright ill change some stuff around thanks for the input

get asrock h110m r3.0 instead of b250, get naked ram and remove ssd
then spend change on screen

what would be a nice computer for work with autocad, 3dsmax, maya, illustrator, photoshop? ive been thinking about a r7 1800x as a cpu but i have no idea what gpu to pick, maybe a 1070 or a 1080? the budget is about 2k euros (building for a friend, he wants multiple of those, dislikes overclocking), so suggest anything that isnt too over the top, but on the top-shelf

Vega info about to come out today or so.

It says "plus tax"

Don't do this, you'll need to flash the bios to the mobo, which you can't do because you won't be able to boot.

PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/gMpgcc

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($299.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($38.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250N-Phoenix WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec - ISK 300-150 Mini ITX Desktop Case w/150W Power Supply ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Panasonic - UJ-265 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($119.00 @ Other World Computing)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A8 PWM 32.7 CFM 80mm Fan ($15.63 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A8 PWM 32.7 CFM 80mm Fan ($15.63 @ Newegg)
Other: StarTech 6-Inch Slimline SATA to SATA Female/Male Adapter with Power (SLSATAADAP6) ($8.10 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RCFC-16002 Case Fan Splitter, PWM Fan Splitter Cable, 1 to 2 Black Sleeved Computer Fan Splitter Cable, Supporting Both 3 Pin Fans and 4 Pin PWM Case Fans ($4.39 @ Amazon)
Other: Super Power Supply® 2 Pack of RP-SMA Male Stand Bases with 1M (meter) cables for 2dbi 4dbi 5dbi 6dbi 7dbi 9dbi 15dbi WiFi wireless antennas ($18.87 @ Amazon)
Other: Super Power Supply® 2 x 9dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna for Linksys WRT1200AC AC1200 ; Actiontec GT784WN ; TP-LINK TL-WR841HP Booster Extender ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Other: ASL GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Battle Flag
Total: $1012.51

>Wireless Kodi box for content apps, BD, TV and Steam Streaming
>any LP single slot gpu that doesn't suck (no 750ti) don't know when/if the ASL product will be available in US
>mITX B350/X370 with WiFi when?

>Don't do this, you'll need to flash the bios to the mobo, which you can't do because you won't be able to boot.
why are you talking about things you don't know? asrock r3.0 models support kaby lake straight out of box

Because there are loads of uniformed people who don't know about the compatability issues, and the chances of user actually getting a revision 3 intentionally is pretty slim.

You dont need to go any higher than a 1700 unless you have money to burn for ~8% more performance at best

interesting, but he wants to work with it asap without having to update buggy drivers every six hours as seen during previous new arch gpu releases

Asrock announced a x370 mITX 6 hours ago

THEY ARE CALLED R3.0 BECAUSE THEY ARE THIRD REVISION YOU RETARD

>that faggots thread is still up

?
We're not going in the other one that is filled with shit & that has a shit OP, lad

Maybe just get a G4560?

Even an SSD? What? And dedicated graphics?
Are you just trying to spend money or something?

What do you think the chances are of user caring about the "r3.0"?
It's bad adivce.

It's like telling people to plug in their PSU, and then plug themselves into the ground of the PSU, to "ground" themselves.

I know, its just funny.

Why is it that people legitimately fall for the tempered glass + RGB meemees?

8% is good enough, hes trying to make a business with these machines, so any performance increases are welcome. for a budget of 2k euros (for one) it shouldnt be too hard to make the 1800x buy and still fit in that range

I'm out

Oh ok. I find it pretty sad because i see newfags going in there with no idea of what's going on and they stick to the shit thread not knowing it's shit

>83 posts and 26 ips
>vs
>102 posts and 40 ips
HMM REALLY MAKES YOU THINK WHICH THREAD IS LESS SHIT

G4560 would work

It's not clear in the Antec documentation if there's space inside the case for optical + 2.5" if there is than that would be preferable

There wouldn't be any dGPU initially because a 1030 or 750ti aren't going to be all that much better than whatever is on the CPU and don't seem worth it

>not trying to burn money on tech

pcpartpicker.com/list/28yDVY r8

how many hard drives can a mitx board run? since hdds are slower by a huge margin than sata is there splitters?

Something like "ASRock Deskmini" makes much more sense. G4560 probably wont run out of the box, but I believe it can be flashed either in a store, or if you have a 6000-series cpu laying around.

Otherwise, just get like 6100, or something like that.

Then you buy an external USB bluray drive.

whats a good mobo for an amd cpu instead of the ASRock AB350M Pro4 if I don't need 4 ram slots but am happy with two?

that's quite the overkill GPU
but otherwise looks good

Why don't you get modular PSU? Seasonic M12ii 520w is modular and it's only slightly more expensive.

1600 +1070 is best pairing

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FZ3fcc

everything ok here?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/28yDVY
As many as there are SATA ports;

The limiting factor for amount of SATA ports is the the chipset (Z170, Z270, etc.) While ATX and MicroATX (usually) just build in the max number of SATA ports onto the board, mITX boards are a lot more space constrained and typically offer 2 or 4 SATA ports at most.

AsRock's recently announced X299 mITX motherboard breaks that convention by offering 6 SATA ports.

techpowerup.com/233817/asrock-unveils-the-x299e-itx-ac-mini-itx-x299-quad-channel-memory

get one 8gb dimm for future upgradability

Be sure to check the RAM support for that specific board, because of Ryzen. It makes things easier if it has XMP.

Also for like $15 extra you can get the 3TB ultrastar.

so it can't be split? oн well. that board you posted actually looks pretty good, anything lost by using the laptop ram size?

Ok took some of your suggestions, chose a PSU without mustard cables and went with one exhaust fan that's 140mm. Any other suggestions?

So, for 1400€~ in Spain, logicalincrements told me to get an i7-7700K but muh cores. Should I get a 1700/x instead?
I'd play a lot of AAA games and such.

How important is RAM speed for 1440p 144hz gaming? (getting an i7 7700k so it wont benefit the cpu as it would ryzen)