We need to start shilling Void and Devuan, Sup Forumsentlemen. we are at a crossroads with SystemDick...

we need to start shilling Void and Devuan, Sup Forumsentlemen. we are at a crossroads with SystemDick, and need to ensure non-SysDick distributions gain traction and popularity to make them viable for everyday usage in the future.

while these distros aren't by any means perfect, they are still simple to install, and are feasible as distros for newfags. for those that want stability and simplicity, we have to start recommending Devuan, and for those who want an Arch-like experience, Void. we need to start contributing ourselves to these distros, and especially in respect to documentation.

other distros to recommend:
Gentoo and Source Mage for the advanced user
Alpine along with Devuan for those interest in servers

remember, if Sup Forums could meme a reality tv star to the presidency, then we can meme away Poettering's bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.voidlinux.eu/Rosetta_stone
etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html
wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Bugs_found_by_musl
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=refracta
ibiblio.org/refracta/
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he thinks Sup Forums is responsible for Trump
found the Sup Forums crossboarder

I can't wait for this meme to die like Solus.

1. Stop re-inventing package managers unless you actually bring something new to the table like nix/guix.

2. If you care so much about libreSSL/muslc, then maintain for an existing distribution rather than making your own.

3. Doesn't use systemd. Fine, but other legitimate distributions that aren't a meme do this too, and so does gentoo. Or just use BSD.

you may have a point

Probably the dumbest post I read today.

>Don't just make your own distro if you want something that's fundamentally different from other distros on multiple fronts!

xbps is great dumb nigger

What are the benefits of using Void?

Support for things that aren't common on other distros like musl and LibreSSL. Package manager handles binaries and as well as source built packages. Oh and it uses Runit instead of systemd. I'm not sure if that offers any actual benefits over systemd, maybe it performs better on weak systems or something. It's probably just for those who prefer the init scripts or just irrationally hate systemd.

>runit
>doesn't have bloat
>can build packages from source or install from binary

Hating systemd is not irrational. Willingly taking Stasi-boy's cock up you ass is irrational.

"Ein Reich! Ein Wolk! Ein init!"

+1

i like void but bloat is a cryptomeme that means nothing

Any disadvantages?

Takes a little while to get a used to the new package manager and according the wiki's Rosetta Stone, it doesn't do as many things as some other package managers do. At least not yet.

wiki.voidlinux.eu/Rosetta_stone

No systemd

>pointlessly changing things fundamentally on multiple fronts!
t. the definition of a meme distro

>what is an attack vector

why is solus a meme? it works for me alot better than ubuntu.

How is Void's package selection compared to AUR? I'm lazy as fuck, so AUR is pretty helpful to me. Currently, I'm running Arch with openrc, but it's hacked together pretty sloppily and I wouldn't mind having better support.

Gentoo is better in every way and even an idiot can set up Gentoo these days by following the guide.

>compared to AUR

Can anything actually compare to AUR? Anyway, it's a lot more hands-on if you're used to pacman wrappers like yaourt.

You have understand that most people don't want to compile everything from source.

Sorry, user. I am not willing to compile everything from source. I tried with GRUB2 and gave it 30 minutes and still haven't get it to compile.

>better libc
>better init
>pointless changes

>if Sup Forums could meme a reality tv star to the presidency
stop. the normye. it hurts

Not him, but why is musl better?

Why has Void gained traction recently? What features or attributes does it have specifically?

etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html

>pointlessly changing things fundamentally on multiple fronts
like staying a troll or/and stupid? iz ok.

Is Devuan truly ready now? What problems does it have compared to Debian? Are the nigger systemd dependencies still major?

performance benchmarks, as well as
wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Bugs_found_by_musl

Refracta is better

Why?

gen2 does not have this problem

ReactOS best OS

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=refracta
do your do diligence fagmuffin

What is it about systemd that people don't like?

ibiblio.org/refracta/
Can't find much on here my senpai, I've been looking for a distro to replace my Ubuntu systemd-ridden machines, Devuan on the testing branch seems like the best option
Distros based on Devuan seem to be maintained by small teams that could peter out anytime now

I want to run GNU/Linux and not Red Hat OS. More seriously, Poettering's vision for the project (suite of core building blocks for an OS or some bullshit like that) sounds like absolute cancer to me.

someone tell me if void has tvheadend and if tv tuners can work on it :&)

it's a meme

to my understanding it goes against the "unix philosophy", but at the same time, GNU stands for "GNU's not unix".

>could peter out anytime now
like our time on this rock around a dying star. nut up or shut up(coming from a real fag)

What means this? It affects software availability?

Seconded.

Poettering is basically trying to bring everything wrong with Windows 98 to Linux.

I think his comment on this bug gives all the evidence you need that he shouldn't be in charge of anything.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5644

>poettering locked and limited conversation to collaborators on Apr 17
kek

Couple questions:

Can I use linux-libre with this? I refuse to tolerate binary blobs in my kernels.

In what way does systemd effeft me as a normal user besides making my boot up faster?

Where's the install guide.

I'm interested but I've been sheltered with easy cli wifi setup of Arch and Fedora. Just installed void but wireless network handling is for autists.

>Can I use linux-libre with this?

Can't see why not.

>we need to start shilling Void and Devuan, Sup Forumsentlemen. we are at a crossroads with SystemDick, and need to ensure non-SysDick distributions gain traction and popularity to make them viable for everyday usage in the future.

You are going about this in a completely wrong-headed way. To replace systemd, you actually have to put in work, not just scream your head off on an imageboard until you browbeat other NEETs into installing your flavor of the month distribution. Because that's all you're ever going to actually accomplish.

>remember, if Sup Forums could meme a reality tv star to the presidency, then we can meme away Poettering's bullshit.

Sup Forums had nothing to do with Trump getting into office and everything to do with Trump being a populist who promised jobs to the rust belt. Go look at an electoral map sometime.

Locking a bug where one of the users decided to use the opportunity to spam the issue and stand on a soapbox? Fuck that noise, I'd lock the issue too.

Yup, void seems decent. Installed it in a vm, but have not done a lot with it. Crux is also good. If you want a system-less system for a beginner, might want to check out PCLinuxOS.