github.com/nonsequitur/idle-highlight-mode
staffwww.fullcoll.edu/sedwards/Nano/NanoKeyboardCommands.html
code.visualstudio.com/download
atom.io/packages
nteract.io/atom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

also Emacs here senpai :D

emacs + evil-mode

Convince me why I should use anything other than GNU nano.

fucking nano or gedit

you dont need all these training wheels and triple monitors and nonsense to be productive or efficient

Vim, because I'm not eating dead skin off of my foot.

nano for cli, geany for gui

Emacs and I find it a lot better to have the ctrl right next to the space bar like the space cadet keyboard.

vim. so familiar with the bindings that anything else has me typing gibberish.

Not a standard editor, not going to be on all systems.
For editing large amounts of text vim is much more efficient.

TempleOS editor works great for me

this

Vim isn't standard. Vi is standard.

Being comfortable with Vim does a lot more to make vi usable than being comfortable with any other editor would.

>oh no! none of my shitty rice plugins are available!!
>i have to relearn my editor all over again

might as well use nano

>using plugins

>Webstrom
>PHPstorm
>visual c++
>nano

This. Standard vi keybindings are the standard for the shitload of the other programs like less, man etc.

Spacemacs

What's wrong with it? Vim is configurable. For daily development you can use plugins, on a server or an OpenWrt router you can keep a vi or a vim with a minimal configuration.

You can be sure that on every UNIX-like system: Raspbian, OpenWrt, Android (through adb shell) you will have at least vi installed - excluding some rare occasions - and you can easily edit config files, scripts, etc.

Been using Vim for about half a year now. Recently switched to NeoVim for its asynchronous features.

emacs for a long while. I manage the majority of my longer term sessions in emacs on GNU/Linux systems. It's so nice to have everything at your fingertips.

I have developed a mental illness where I try to make everything behave like emacs at this point

RedditVim, no thanks. Vim 8 by the way has async features, I used them for a linter, "ale".

Visual Studio for C# project, IDLE for Python projects, and Brackets for web development.

Never liked emacs key bindings

Standard Emacs keybindings are the standard for the shitload of the other programs like bash, Cocoa etc.

(op) Post a a gif of your emacs work flow

I just switched back to vim a couple weeks ago after using emacs for a couple years. emacs was consuming too much resources and I wanted something that would start up a little faster.

Use emacs daemon and emacsclient

Emacs

Notepad++

Why doesn't anyone use Sublime text? It looks great

I didn't care to do that and it wouldn't have helped use less resources in my case. I'm pretty happy with vim desu, even using it for clojure dev. I like emacs, but I like vim too.

Vim doesn't have this shit and runs well.

BRACKETS

Did you ever tired of holding Ctrl and Alt all the time, Stallman?

That's not an illness, user. That's ascension. Welcome among us.

Dude dead skin is the best skin.
Here you go try it I swear you're
gonna like it.
Not free and not enough customizable for my liking
Same but there all really usable.
>M-x [ret] butterfly

>Php

so if i install emacs, where do i go from there. do i need to install any particular plugins to make it good, or is it just good from the start?

>Never liked emacs key bindings

Just bind your Caps Lock key to Ctrl

Thanks user. May the saint bless you with good finger health for years to come

Yes these are called starter kits
Install clojure it's a great starter

>so if i install emacs, where do i go from there. do i need to install any particular plugins to make it good, or is it just good from the start?

It depends on what you are trying to do. An unconfigured Emacs is good for C/C++, Python, Bash, CSH, SH, general text processing etc.

If you want other stuff like Ruby, Go, LaTeX, etc. you have to install a package. You can configure packages in your init.el file.

>M-x [ret] ghjk [ret] instead of M-x ghjk [ret]
why is this a thing

i'll be mainly doing python and bash stuff, so it seems like the default setup should be good to start. i just hear about people spending their lives in emacs, so i just assumed it took some tailoring before it got good. thanks.

>installing a jvm-based LISP (not ANSI Common LISP) is the first thing to do when you want to try an editor

... guys like you make people new to Emacs use vim.

ELPY is nice for Python. You can configure it to behave like an IDE (i.e. like pystorm). When you're familiar with the Emacs keybindings and commands have a look at macros. They bring your productivity to a new level.

Fuck dude I don't know why clojure came up my mind.
I meant prelude.

i am using atom. emacs is obsolete now.

Anyone here uses Acme?

>Saying a foss editor is obsolete
>Saying another foss editor is not obsolete

Do you guys use GUI or prefer terminal? Vim and Emacs both has GUI and terminal options, what do you prefer?

neovim currently. Used to use BSD vi, then later vim.

But I try to ignore anything other than what is specified by POSIX. Too lazy to learn implementation-specific features that won't work on what I'll be using in another few years.

> := for setting values
What kind of fucking retard would choose two(2) character symbol for the most common operation instead of one(1) character long symbol.

I prefer the GUI one.
Sometimes when it's 2 o'clock at night and I'm real tired i like to use my mouse in emacs to move the point.
Don't tell anyone it's our secret.

Retards like Edsger Dijkstra and Niklaus Wirth. The assignment operator should be read as "becomes", not "equals", and conflating the mathematical idea of equality with it is a bad idea.

Also, if assignment is your most common operation, good luck figuring out that state spaghetti.

notepad++ for quick edits
visual studio for general use

When I switched to GNU/Linux I started out with gedit because I was used to using the mouse a lot. Then I figured I don't really need the mouse and used nano which was relatively nice. When the documents / programs I was writing grew, I switched to vim and it's really nice. Thought about trying Emacs but I don't want carpal tunnel.

any computer scientist who is not maths illiterate.

wikiwand.com/en/Assignment_(computer_science)#/Assignment_versus_equality

MY EYES

emacs is obsolete in the sense atom will give you much more productivity for today programming.

vi on console/remote servers
vscode when I have a GUI

I've tried many times to use and like emacs, but there's something about it I find aesthetically distasteful

I'd used Emacs for 8 years, I had my ~1k lines config in several files, and then one day I switched to spacemacs, replaced my config with a couple fixes to the default one, and I haven't looked back since.

I have used Emacs for many years and do most of my computing from within it.

>Literally every character is coloured.
So this is the power of Rust

This is the power of rainbow-identifier-mode, I find it easier to read code with it because each identifier has the same unique color.

zozle

also emacs here

I'm very much of the opposite school of thought. Syntax highlighting should be kept minimal, otherwise it becomes too distracting. Sometimes I use idle-highlight-mode which is quite nice for seeing where variables are used[0]. Error hinting is a different matter and should be done with something like flycheck.

[0] github.com/nonsequitur/idle-highlight-mode

What made me really love emacs is spacemacs, which is basically (at least for me) the perfect mix of emacs and vim together.
This plus another couple of plugins (autocomplete, yasnippet, clang-format and such).
Don’t hesitate to search a bit on the internet recommended plugins

I use kate.

This argument still doesn't apply to a foss application.
But yes your correct if you didn't mind to configure emacs.

Bumb

Atom and VSCode, because I have a life and dont grow a two meter beard.

Emacs and VScode (I'm on windows)

>nano
>You don't need training wheels
>nano has a list of all its shortcuts at the bottom all the fucking time

notepad2 for quick editing on windows
neovim for quick editing on linux, emacs for programming
vim also does less
atom is also slow as shit, uses fucking tons of memory and is harder to program for

>atom is also slow as shit
not on my machine

>uses fucking tons of memory
atom uses ~550-600mb which is not much for a fully interactive environment meanwhile emacs can't even render fonts properly.

>is harder to program for
lel, really? emacslisp? horrible package system? almost all packages are no more maintained? almost nothing work out of the box?

i find it less tiring than c++.

>emacs can't render fonts properly
think you'll find that's the responsibility of the terminal emulator
>emacs lisp
might be less nice than common lisp or a scheme but its still a hell of a lot more sane than JS and more consistent than coffeescript
>horrible package system
what is your argument here? ELPA is a fuck ton better than atom while still being a nice layer over the traditional #'provide and #'require system.
>almost all packages are no more maintained
this actually means emacs has a lot richer history of packages, and besides, it's also just straight up false.
>almost nothing work out of the box
does atom have a terminal emulator, a directory editor, rich major modes for the most important programming languages, inferior interpreter modes (at all!! atom DOES NOT have this feature), built-in asynchronous error checking/spell checking out of the box, not to mention e-mail, irc clients and web browsers? no.

GNU Emacs

>all its shortcuts
Uh, no.
staffwww.fullcoll.edu/sedwards/Nano/NanoKeyboardCommands.html

I never bothered to memorize any of the commands that are available behind the submenus, because the shortcut bar will change depending on the mode.

I just bookmarked the page until I knew the ones I needed by heart (like skipping forward and backward by words).
Switched to vim anyway because now I can delete / change on a per-word basis rather than just single char / whole line / to end of line.

nano

>gets thrown back

what

must be using .45

>06
Interested init. I can't use Plan9 stuff on my Chromebook because Google is fucking gay.

lain can commit suicide however she wants, ;laws of phys9c

>carpal tunnel
>doesn't know how to map his keyboard

Emacs isn't for you.

I bet your hands went flying through the entire room as you were typing that post, what with them not being anchored to ctrl and alt for once

ganooooo Emacs permanently since I discovered it can run as a daemon. Before that the loading times were annoying at best.

Also tramp mode and org mode are irreplaceable.

I'm using more than an "editor", senpai. Behold, the IDE of the gods. Visual Studio 2017.

>He doesn't create and weaponize memes inside Emacs

Truly the Emacs virgins shan't never know.

ill admit that visual studio is the only decent thing about windows and it has an especially good debugger... I just wish there was some sort of open source visual stu-
code.visualstudio.com/download

>webstorm
>phpstorm

wew lad

who /joe/ here

>does atom have a terminal emulator, a directory editor, rich major modes for the most important programming languages, inferior interpreter modes (at all!! atom DOES NOT have this feature), built-in asynchronous error checking/spell checking out of the box, not to mention e-mail, irc clients and web browsers? no.

yes to everything. atom even has inline REPLs. and the "and web browsers" is a little funny since atom is built on top of chromium, the whole app is a web browser.

atom is still young (2014) and already has package for absolutely everything. you can make atom behave like emacs with ido and everything. move with the times, gramps.

atom.io/packages

atom is the current state of art editor for interactive development. see nteract.io/atom for a example.

>text editor built on top of a botnet

>out of the box
>webdev babbies in charge of reading comprehension
>higher cpu and memory usage is "moving with the times"
atom doesn't have an irc client or mail client as far as i can see.
>inline repls
they are inferior (get it?) to inferior interpreters where you can live eval selections in your code
>you can make atom behave like emacs
thats fine since no one in their right mind uses default emacs keybindings. on that point, all of the vim emulation packages for atom are total shite. that's compared to the actual improvement over vim that evil makes.

>botnet built on top of a text editor