How close are the Romance languages? Can people who speak understand others? For reference, I'm talking about Spanish...

How close are the Romance languages? Can people who speak understand others? For reference, I'm talking about Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, Italian, French, and Romanian.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0
youtube.com/watch?v=MuJp0oM06J8
youtube.com/watch?v=8nPSyDOuf7A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>spanish
ok
>portoguese
ayy lmao,i only understand it when written
>french
i studied it at school so i can understand a bit
>catalan
ok
>romanian
i can understand only some words

Probs like German and latin to us English-speaking people. We can understand badically everything but not well, and it all makes sense once each word is explained

A romanian can learn italian and spanish in 1 month like a native.

I can understand italian if I concentrate hard enough and it's easy for even our most illiterate citizens to learn italian or spanish. It's probably harder the other way around because we are phonetically different.

I speak Spanish - I can get the general gist of written Portuguese and Italian. I can't understand any of them spoken.

>Spanish
I studied it so I understand it a bit.

>Portuguese
Not at all, some words are quite similar but portuguese speaks very fast. Brazilian portuguese is a bit more easy to understand but it's only few words

>Italian
The more similar to french in my opinion. We can't understand each other but if we speak slowly we can exchange few sentences

>Catalan
Never heard it IRL so I don't know

>Romanian
Never heard it

Looks like your countrymen here didn't get the memo

It depends really.

I learned Spanish simply by watching Spanish cartoons on TV.

Same thing with French and Tintin.

I bet Italian and Romanian would be easy to learn as well.

Works the same way the Germanics do with theirs I guess ?

Except English which is like 50% Romance.

>countrymen

gypsies don't count.

There are even memes here on how fast we learn other romance languages.

Italian for spanish people is really easy to understand even speaking, portuguese harder and french for me impossible

If you have half a brain, you can understand the general meaning of a sentence written in Italian without having studying it.

It's harder for Spanish and Portuguese.

Old southern French ("Oc") is significantly closer to Italian/Spanish than the northern dialect ("Oïl"). Occitanese language is not a single entity, though, as it has many local variations: youtube.com/watch?v=ubGjasm63Y0

I took Spanish for 3 years at school. I understand more than I can speak but I once stumbled upon on pdf written in Portuguese legalise about some random crap and I could read it easily. That was funny because it was basically Spanish with weird orthography and spelling.

Euro Portuguese is the best meme language of Europe.

It's Latin language with a shitload of Celt sounds. This mix makes it seem like a Slavic-Romance mix.

Clusterfuck.

Have you considered they stand out because the people who have integrated and speak italian aren't visible? We integrate really well, to the point where people who return here come with an accent.

All the Romanians here (not Romenos that's for Gypsies) actually completely blend in.

In average you guys have a little more light hair and eyes but once you blend it's almost impossible to spot you guys.

>Have you considered they stand out because the people who have integrated and speak italian aren't visible?
Of course there are romanians that have been here for so long that they speak italian with pretty much no accent but in general they aren't that good, we have a recurring joke about the romanian way of speaking

Can understand more or less anything but French.

>we have a recurring joke about the romanian way of speaking
What's the joke?

>spanish
no, though I believe I can speak it a bit as long as I pronounce every word ending on "-tion" differently.
>portoguese
no
>Italian
no
>catalan
no
>romanian
no

I-I can speak Swedish and Dutch though ! It's not useful, b-but at least it's something !

It's about the accent so i can't really explain it in writing and it wouldn't make sense in english... you pretty much take every word in italian and remove every repeating letter and make it a bit more slavic... for the lowlifes the content is something like "i break bottle and kill your family"

Espanhol é fácil de perceber

Italiano e catalão percebo algumas palavras

Francês e ciganês não se percebe um caralho

Smörgåspapper, kringla blåbär stor filt arbetarmiljö?

>I-I can speak Swedish and Dutch though !
Dutch sounds like a retarded German-English hybrid, but I can understand it

so why in the fuck did romania happen? was it just a far outpost of the Roman Empire that never got culturally destroyed after Rome fell?

bokstavligen vad ?

I agree, my mom's Dutch, so I didn't really had a choice. Otherwise I'd learn German or Italian.

Nej inte vad! lårben!

What

>It's probably harder the other way around because we are phonetically different.
explain, is it the slavic tone of your language we can't emulate properly?

>was it just a far outpost of the Roman Empire that never got culturally destroyed after Rome fell?
Kinda.
We were the place eastern latins(both dacian and balkan) tended to congregate to, and we managed to culturally enrich everyone else that settled in these lands, from slavs to horseniggers, into speaking our tongue.

no I can't understand other Romance nations

Brazilian portuguese is easy, the one from Portugal almost impossible
I can get about 50% of italian
French, just some words
Romanian, iz dis even latin et merda?

>Portugese
Pretty close. Can understand most of what's written but spoken is more difficult. It depends on the accent though, the brazilian portugese in Rio Grande do Sul seemed the least complicated to understand, at least compared to the one in Rio de Janeiro when I went there.

>Italian
Harder but I can get the general meaning.

>French
The hardest. I can usually recognize some phrases and words and then guess the general meaning tho.

>Romanian
No clue. I have never heard or read romanian.

Traduis en anglais, le maçon

>was it just a far outpost of the Roman Empire that never got culturally destroyed after Rome fell?
No. Dacia was one of the first provinces the Empire pulled out off because it was right in front of the places where migratory populations invaded from and slowly the urban population either left or was killed off by said invasions. The latinized countryside population remained in the forests and mountains. The core of the proto-romanian language was formed by the 6th-7th century, and most of our loanwords from other languages (mainly slavic and hungarian) come from the 9th to 11th century. Over time, no semblance of the roman culture or identity remained, only the language and the name (Rîmîn/rumîn/rumân/român, coming from Romanus).

A lot of other people settled here but at one point, in spite of being illiterate shepherds without centers of trade, faith and learning, we managed to either integrate them or kill them and by the 14th century there were only romanians left in Wallachia and Moldova.

>Portugese
I can understand it, although when spoken it's a bit different. this was fairly easy to read for example.

>Italian
I can understand it spoken more so than Portugese, and written too, but probably because I've tried to learn it before.

>French
Hard to understand, I can recognize something here and there, but not entirely

>Romanian
Worse than french.

>Chilean
ayy lamo

t. venezolano

>italian
80-90%

>portuguese
ayy lmao but 90-95%

>french
Read: 95-100%. Spoken: around 20%

>catalan
Same as italian

>romanian
Can understand around 80% reading because I once read an Eliade's pdf that only found in romanian and got used to it. Spoken: almost nothing.

None of those languages are intelligible with french except french.

Native Spanish.
>French
I'm learning it right now. Not too similar to Spanish but very easy to learn.
>Catalan
Haven't heard enough to weigh in.
>Portuguese
Can read it somewhat, cannot understand a word of it spoken.
>Italian
Similar to Portuguese, I can read it somewhat and I can somewhat understand it spoken as well.
>Romanian
Completely foreign to me.

Why should i speak the other cucked romance languages when mine is the best?

>implying yours weren't cucked by romans

this is how romanian sounds

youtube.com/watch?v=MuJp0oM06J8

>morgenstern

That's a cool surname.

rarer in your country since 1500

It's like French and english. Pretty close when you read not really close when you speak.

I'd love to learn romanian but damn it is really hard.. it's slightly understandable when written, but when i listen to it it looks an alien language

> Italioti

Cazzo allora esistevano veramente

If you speak Spanish you can understand some of spoken Italian and Portuguese, and you can understand a fair bit of them in writing. French you can only understand a few words of when spoken, but reading it is a lot easier. I've never really heard anyone speak Catalan or Romanian, so I can't comment on those.

Spaco botilia amazo familia

Da

> Catalan
havent heard much of it
> Portuguese
understand some stuff but some of the souds are strange
> Italian
understand some stuff sounds like everything is exagerated
> French
sounds like german not a romance language
> Romanian
havent heard much of it

>spunds like German

Quoi ? :DDDDDDD

> r

here;s romanian

youtube.com/watch?v=8nPSyDOuf7A

Oh yea, this god tier guttural r...

Did they wear underwear under those skirts?

can understand some stuff sounds like Italian with alot of sh sounds

Pretty much this

yea, be proud of your german heritage

WHY DO WE HAVE THIS THREAD EVERY DAY REEE

I can pretty much understand the general meaning of any written sentences in all these languages, but when I hear it spoken I don't understand much.

It depends on how fast they speak though.
I guess it the same among slavs languages.

I can understand Italian and Portuguese (although when spoken I can't understand it).

French is more difficult but sometimes I can understand it.

>We integrate really well
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

what is so funny you disgusting brown skinned pi

I can't understand any other romance languages.

Template ?

i can't understand any of them :) portuguese is very isolated from othher languages, only galician is close

Romanian here
>spanish
Kinda, though it sounds a little like arabic to me
>portugese
Sounds like ayyy lamao spanish
>french
Studied it in school so i can kind of understand it but not much, been wanting to try to learn it again
>catalan
Never heard it
>italian
I can understand this one the best though I understand it better when it's written down, I do want to learn italian though.

Spaniard here
>portugese
deaf person speaking spanish
>French
studied it in school, although it sounds like sexy gibberish if you don't pay attention
>Italian
literal spanish dialect
>Catalan
french-castillian love baby, but my mom's fluent in it
>Romanian
slav

>slav
Why must you wound me so José?

I don't understand shit in romanian. Just some words when written.

CHI

I know I'm just playing around. To be honest considering the huge amount of non latin influence and the fact that we were so isolated from other romance speakers dosen't surprise me we sound so different, it's only logical.

>Kinda, though it sounds a little like arabic to me

Puto gitano.

A maior parte de vocês estão mentindo. Não conseguem entender as outras línguas latinas porcaria nenhuma. Falam isso somente para parecerem legais ou espertos.
Se conseguem mesmo, vamos conversar cada um em sua língua e ver se sai alguma coisa útil daqui.

>latin to us English-speaking people
what

lexical, ie. the total words, not the words most frequently used, and no consideration of grammar or pronunciation
your country speaks a germanic language, frog. deal with it

Actually, the French started the guttural R phenomenon and it spread to the Germans, because of the prestige it held.

Why does french sound so weird compared to other romance languages?

>this topic
>this flag
Because they swallow a good portion of the letters when talking. That said, we share like 70% of the same grammar rules, we only notice the similarities if we actually study it

I have to ask you, if you don't pronounce the h why did you choose to make every other letter an h sound like the j or the g in argentina and inteligente or the x in Mexico?

Since this question was basically answered I'll pose another one. I know that the Germanic languages vary a huge amount but Slavic languages are quite similar and differentiated relatively recently. How mutually intelligible are each of the latter to Sup Forums slavs?

I received this a while ago. But actual confirmation from slavs would be great too

I can understand a lot of French words

I can understand a lot of espanishwords

>Spanish
Bastardized Italian, dialect spoken with a lisp.
>Portuguese
Spanish spoken by a Russian. The Brasilian version is very nice.
>French
Fluent
>Catalan
Easier to read.
>Romanian
Ayyy lmao

Really interesting chart but I don't know what the methodology for comparison is. It also seems high.

> spoken with a lisp

Didn't you guys retain the most latin pronunciation?

Anyway, I've been studying Euro Portuguese (best friend and gf are tuga) and I can understand a fair bit of Spanish from it, even Venezuelans who have pretty strange accents.

Am I alone in my opinion that Euro PT is much more beautiful than BR PT?

When I hear EU PT, I think of the castles, the Douro valley, the beautiful women, vidigal, chouriço, going for a walk through Rua Direita in Óbidos, having a sagres in an open air bar in Coimbra as a traje-clad tuna plays some fado in the back.

BR PT, on the other hand, sounds like trashy favela talk.

How did you guys drop the Ss. Also, is it common to call muricans "Mister Dangers" or was that just Chavez being Chavez.

>English
>Romance

We have a lot of latin vocabulary, but the core of English is pretty clearly germanic.

Catalan, Italian, and Romanian are the best Romance languages.

It's easier to understand english than any of those languages (except french of course)

The Latin vocabulary in English was borrowed directly from Latin from scholars and now scientists. Early on some of the Latin vocabulary came from Christians and Germanics who had contact with Romans.

>Spanish
>flag
>Catalan
Literally Spanish but removing letters and some sounds.
>Portuguese
Easy to understand when read, somewhat hard to follow when spoken.
>Italian
It's manageable when both spoken and written.
>French
I can only understand a few words, I've never studied it.
>Romanian
Never heard or read it.

Other languages worth mentioning:
>Galician
Kind of a mix between Portuguese and Spanish. I spent a week there and it was really easy to understand. I don't know if Portuguese people can handle it too.
>Valencian
It's a Catalan dialect :^)
>Euskera
AYY LMAOAK

>La mayoría de vosotros estáis mintiendo. No podéis entender las demás lenguas latinas no se qué. Hacéis esto sólamente para parecer no se qué o expertos. No se qué no se cuántos, vamos a hablar cada uno en su lengua a ver si sacamos algo de provecho.

Not Chicano (thankfully), I took 4 years of French in HS, so this is from an outside perspective I suppose.
French
>understand 90% written, maybe 25% spoken. If they spoke more slowly I'd probably understand more like 70%.
Italian
>closest to French, especially southern French. Can understand maybe 50-60% written, not tried for speaking
Spanish
>can understand some written words, maybe 35%. Depends on Arabic influence
Portuguese
>only maybe 15-20% written, unintelligible spoken
Romanian
>wew

>How mutually intelligible
when spoken slowly we can pretty much hold a conversation quite well with eachothers,with possible exception being the poles,they speak in parseltounge and not only in written form,they sound to me like they are trying to speak with full mouth