lomont.org/Math/Papers/2003/InvSqrt.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he is just a plain peasant near those two gods

Blue pill/ red pill
Black pill

Terry every time

W-who is the left one?

looks like John Carmack

the fuck daniel day lewis got to do with Sup Forums?

Oh, yeah. He was that guy with the big widescreen CRT.

NASA NIGGER

This is averaga Sup Forums user. He doesn't even know who is John Carmack.

He's pretty much the ideal programmer. Most genius programmers' brains can't handle the weight of their own intelligence and they go insane like Terry, Stallman or those trannies. Carmack manages to handle his brilliance and still function as a normal human being.

can he into random numbers?

>what is carmack's sqrt

are they beefing? carmack made quake series. he owns my childhood.

Out of all the games you choose quake? Wasn't as innovative as doom, didn't have the technology or speed of unreal

No, only floating point bit level hacking.

Left. Terry is a meme.

mhmmm

>side
they're 2 of the 3 amigos

John
-rocket enthusiast
-Dungeon Master God
-Lord of Game programmers

This

There is no choices.

Why would they be against eachother?

>Convicted Criminal vs. Schizo

Terry.

>you will never play Quake with Carmack

why even live, lads?

>As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of kids steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home.

HAHAHAHA
literally a sociopathic criminal

Fucking hamplanets ruining everything as usual

communist kike

>both hwhite males

mm yeah

Yeah, because people don't change or don't grow up.

Carmack all the way but Terry would seriously be a contender it if he wasn't so fucked up

>because people don't change
they don't, him stealing all the data for the occulus from his previous company proves that

Oy vey he was stealing his own work

>The ZeniMax vs Oculus trial is over. I disagreed with their characterization, misdirection, and selective omissions. I never tried to hide or wipe any evidence, and all of my data is accounted for, contrary to some stories being spread.

>Being sued sucks. For the most part, the process went as I expected.

>The exception was the plaintiff’s expert that said Oculus’s implementations of the techniques at issue were “non-literally copied” from the source code I wrote while at Id Software.

>This is just not true. The authors at Oculus never had access to the Id C++ VR code, only a tiny bit of plaintext shader code from the demo. I was genuinely interested in hearing how the paid expert would spin a web of code DNA between completely unrelated code bases.

>Early on in his testimony, I wanted to stand up say “Sir! As a man of (computer) science, I challenge you to defend the efficacy of your methodology with data, including false positive and negative rates.” After he had said he was “Absolutely certain there was non-literal copying” in several cases, I just wanted to shout “You lie!”. By the end, after seven cases of “absolutely certain”, I was wondering if gangsters had kidnapped his grandchildren and were holding them for ransom.

Johnny get jewed part 2

>If he had said “this supports a determination of”, or dozens of other possible phrases, then it would have fit in with everything else, but I am offended that a distinguished academic would say that his ad-hoc textual analysis makes him “absolutely certain” of anything. That isn’t the language of scientific inquiry.

>The notion of non-literal copying is probably delicious to many lawyers, since a sufficient application of abstraction and filtering can show that just about everything is related. There are certainly some cases where it is true, such as when you translate a book into another language, but copyright explicitly does not apply to concepts or algorithms, so you can’t abstract very far from literal copying before comparing. As with many legal questions, there isn’t a bright clear line where you need to stop.

>The analogy that the expert gave to the jury was that if someone wrote a book that was basically Harry Potter with the names changed, it would still be copyright infringement. I agree; that is the literary equivalent of changing the variable names when you copy source code. However, if you abstract Harry Potter up a notch or two, you get Campbell’s Hero’s Journey, which also maps well onto Star Wars and hundreds of other stories. These are not copyright infringement.

>There are objective measures of code similarity that can be quoted, like the edit distance between abstract syntax trees, but here the expert hand identified the abstract steps that the code fragments were performing, made slides that nobody in the courtroom could actually read, filled with colored boxes outlining the purportedly analogous code in each case. In some cases, the abstractions he came up with were longer than the actual code they were supposed to be abstracting.

>It was ridiculous. Even without being able to read the code on the slides, you could tell the steps varied widely in operation count, were often split up and in different order, and just looked different.

>The following week, our side’s code expert basically just took the same slides their expert produced (the judge had to order them to be turned over) and blew each of them up across several slides so you could actually read them. I had hoped that would have demolished the credibility of the testimony, but I guess I overestimated the impact.

>Notably, I wasn’t allowed to read the full expert report, only listen to him in trial, and even his expert testimony in trial is under seal, rather than in the public record. This is surely intentional — if the code examples were released publicly, the internet would have viciously mocked the analysis. I still have a level of morbid curiosity about the several hundred-page report.

>The expert witness circuit is surely tempting for many academics, since a distinguished expert can get paid $600+ an hour to prepare a weighty report that supports a lawyer’s case. I don’t have any issue with that, but testifying in court as an expert should be as much a part of your permanent public record as the journal papers you publish. In many cases, the consequences are significant. There should be a danger to your reputation if you are imprudent.

Carmack literally uses stolen code. Terry would throw that CIA nigger under the table in a throw down.

the work belonged to the company that paid him to do it, no matter how much you try to twist it he's still a criminal

Which is why he is charged not guilty but Oculus is paying the lawsuit for the NDA breach?

he's still a criminal who stole code from his employer

float Q_rsqrt( float number ) { long i; float x2, y; const float threehalfs = 1.5F; x2 = number * 0.5F; y = number; i = * ( long * ) &y; // evil floating point bit level hacking i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 ); // what the fuck? y = * ( float * ) &i; y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration // y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed return y; }
How did he do it bros?

You fucking moron that company he co-founded and owned and probably held shares in zenimax

Carmack did a stupid thing breaching the NDA but you can only blame the backwards arse laws in the "land of freeedumbs".

If you worshop this bit of code, you're a dumbass.

First off, Carmack didn't write that, one of his lackeys did, and whoever wrote the thing left almost no comments that mentioned how he arrived at that particular bit hacking.

Having parts of your codebase that you don't understand how they work is technical debt and incredibly dangerous besides. Besides, when somebody finally reverse-engineered how it worked on a blog, they arrived at a better, more accurate magic number. So it could have been improved - if only it had been documented.

more like John "Bicycle"mack

doom had no players online and unreal movement is shit

quake 2, 3 were the bees knees in the late 90's/early 00's

Explain how it's done.

i like Quake better for aesthetics and the campaigns in 1 and 2 but as someone who was a peak gaymer in the era I agree with the other guy that Unreal > Quake III Arena as a multiplayer game

the one who's not a thief

this faggot?

Carmack all the way.

youtube.com/watch?v=X68Mm_kYRjc

>Unreal > Quake III Arena

bullllll-fucking shit.

fpbp

No. He's cynical. He wants to be the one to enslave as many humans as possible to VR.

it's faster, fuck if i care though I haven't played either one since college

unreal mp was dead compared to quake and quake had all the good mods. only scrubs played unreal.

vr is the next level in immersion for first person perspective gaming though.

These are hilarious. Carmack is indeed the next evolutionary step in mankind.

>unreal mp was dead compared to quake

i could be wrong but I'm like 99 percent sure Unreal was THE most popular game at the time

>only scrubs played unreal
if we could go back in time i would 1v1 you motherfucker. greybush now can't fps for shit

>i could be wrong but I'm like 99 percent sure Unreal was THE most popular game at the time

It may have been popular as the new thing on the block for a few months but it isn't Quake popular. Quakecon is still a thing even now:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuakeCon

everything you said is wrong. unreal was for offline play because it had bots and mutators built in. quake mods are the genesis of all popular fps games played today. this is due to quakes mp dominance at the time. all the esports tournaments were centered around quake. id software completely owned online gaming in the 90's and early 00's and it's not even close.

1. That's the point. The functions should have been documented as to why that specific magic number was chosen.
2. Fucking use Google you mongoloid. Turns out my memory was shot, it wasn't a blog, it was a paper that various blogs reported on.

lomont.org/Math/Papers/2003/InvSqrt.pdf

For what it's worth, the better constant the paper arrived at was 0x5f375a86.

i'm only comparing Quake III Arena to UT. Overall the Quake universe's legacy btfo's UT

reminder that this guy is a sociopath that won't give a second thought at stabbing you in the back if that results convenient for his own interests.

Fucking newfag programmers

Never played any of her games.

Now I'm curious if there were any games written in COBOL?

as a clueless kid, i would go with carmack
as a grown man who has seen reality, terry is the true answer

Terry, forever.

I knew who John Carmack was but didn't know how he looked

>tfw you are not Carmack

>autism eyeslashes vs god chin
Wow. What a tough decision.

fpwp

not his

Fuck off CIA nigger, Carmack is one of the three amigos

Easy choice.

one uses facebook the other doesnt