/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Bible scholars:
youtube.com/watch?v=xJrptikLjq8

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_2J5phyd9J4
c1.staticflickr.com/9/8205/8234222771_deb7aaeb9a_c.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34
youtube.com/watch?v=wAkCLpMtjlM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first

>It's a christfag stays up all day so he can post his fairytale desert religion videos in the watch threads

>your vostok watches gain like a minute a day
I knew they weren't going to be perfect but I was hoping

called a watchmaker and he told me that was normal for a russian watch and that there was literally nothing to fix

I legit do not know how anyone can tolerate this shit.

I'm wanting to treat myself with a watch. Is this a good choice? 32 x 22 mm and it costs €4980. All my current watches are around 35mm.

If he's pissing you off he's fine by me.

Those vintage Ellipse's are a classic dress watch but I *highly* recommend trying one on in person before buying. They are small, like really fucking small so you need girl size wrists IMO.

>treat myself with a watch
I know this is a meme from that faggy reddit/TGV copypasta but it still sounds faggy.

>faggy

It's the proper way to say it. Do you have something against using proper English?

youtube.com/watch?v=_2J5phyd9J4

At least link this. One can only hope that it will mitigate the faggotry and retarded questions.

But user, why are you so against someone spoiling themselves with an absolutely GORGEOUS timepiece, entirely made by the hand of man? With sapphire infused glass than only a diamond can scratch?

>he doesn't treat himself with a gorgeous timepiece

I washoping it would only be a few seconds a day senpai

I know exactly what you mean.

Unless the watch is a novel form of medication the proper English is "treat oneself to".

can anyone here recommend any comprehensive care guides for oiling, cleaning the crystal,taking care of the leather, etc? Im tired of wiki how and I want something with it all in one place

"I have eight dress watches: a Cartier, a Jaeger Le Coultre, an A. Lange & Söhne, a Patek Philippe, an International Watch Co., a Universal Genève, an Omega, and a Rolex", the collection.

>box of obvious fakes

obvious?

>that FUCKED up cyclops

nice fake rolly OP

>called a watchmaker and he told me that was normal for a russian watch and that there was literally nothing to fix

just having him look at it would cost more than the watch

IF ONLY THERE WERE AN EASY WAY TO ADJUST IT

c1.staticflickr.com/9/8205/8234222771_deb7aaeb9a_c.jpg

are you a boy?

if so don't buy that watch

Okay /wt/ you can pick one of these and nothing else, what would you choose?

Both are ugly, but I'd take the explorer.

Anyone who wears a gold rolex with a leather strap should be beaten

Neither. Both inferior to old explorer. lmao why would you even consider the t-rex? Are you some kind of retard?

thanks senpai. I know absolutely dick about watches but wasplanning on acquiring some books and tools soon just to fuck around

There's nothing wrong with that. I may argue brown works better but that is just personal preference.

Loser.

Oyster Perpetual it is...

There is something wrong with having a gold rolex in the first place user

If you must. But that dial is literally the worst, coming in behind the white and red grapes.

Normally I'd agree but I picked it up for a good price as an investment. I've already been offered twice what I paid for it from a few people, supposedly it's a rare-ish bezel.

>Normally I'd agree but I picked it up for a good price as an investment. I've already been offered twice what I paid for it from a few people, supposedly it's a rare-ish bezel.

Anyone who wears a gold Rolex in public is a tool

it's that simple

Is that a 15017 in leather? That is a $22k watch, nice.

If adjusting a watch speed is that simple why doesn't vostok do it themselves before they ship out

>box literally cost $200,000
How rich are you?

You are right I was tricking you by posting a vostok watch and it's adjustment lever

>I can't imagine ruskies not caring about fine details of quality control on their products!

you should visit russia sometime

name 2 other durable goods or products Russia exports besides those watches....

or, name any high quality Russian mechanical product of any kind

> Is that a 15017 in leather?
Yes it is. Maybe I did even better than I thought if that's what it's worth.

> How rich are you?
Not very but comfortable. The vintage watches (I have more) I've been saving up for years to get. They've always appealed to me.

However the modern ones are a combination of gifts and bonuses.

how was I supposed to know that was a vostok watch?

>Loser
I think you meant to reply to

>how was I supposed to know that was a vostok watch?
because the person I was replying to was asking about adjusting his vostok watch?

Hey folks, I'm new to watches. Is it obvious when you've wound your watch too much? I'm worried about overwinding. Can you turn the dial back and forth like a ratchet? Or just a single forward repeating motion?

How do you like your 5227? Compared to your 1815?

I have a problem with the 5227 that really annoys me but my experience is limited to trying it on and looking at it through a display window.

Basically, I take issue with the way the hands, and indicies, are too polished to the extent that legibility, at least during my short spin with it, seemed to be hampered to the extent that, depending on lighting, you'd have to move your wrist around a lot to see the black mirrored hands on the glossy black dial at all. Have you noticed this? Perhaps I've just being autistic.

Automatics you don't need to wind, maybe just one turn to get it started if it's dead.

Manuals you keep winding until you feel some resistance. You can then usually just turn it back the other way slightly to release the tension to ensure it's not overwound.

>I'm worried about overwinding.
Overwinding hasn't been a thing for like a century.
If you have a modern watch, auto or mechanical hand wound, you have nothing to worry about.

>Can you turn the dial back and forth like a ratchet? Or just a single forward repeating motion?
What do you mean? If you're able to turn the dial inside the case you're doing something retarded to your shit. If it's an automatic, just wear it. It self winds, that's the whole point.

>turn back the other way
but what if the crown is on a ratchet?
Maybe overwinding isn't what Im thinking of? But turning the mechanism on a (mechanica) watch too far doesn't hurt it?

>dial
my bad, meant crown

thanks for the answers dudes

Unless you buy an ETA 2824-2 :^)

I love the 1815, it's been my favorite watch ever since I got it. ALS simply make stunning movements and the finish is sublime.

I literally got the 5227 last week so too soon to tell as I've not worn it yet outside the AD. I will say part of the reason I chose that model was I found the white gold / black enamel contrast pretty striking (in good light admittedly). The hunters case is also cool as fuck. Also I'm a sucker for very simple clean dials, most people wouldn't even knows its a PP if I wore it and that I like.

Something like a Philippe Dufour Simplicity or Credor Eichi II would be my dream watches.

The ALS and PP are certainly the stars of the box, very nice. The Eichi seems pretty disimmilar from the rest of the watches. What do you think of a Laurent ferrier?

My wife wants a smartwatch to work with her Galaxy S8. It needs to be small. Any advice?

>It needs to be small.
lol

What? How can a 2824 suffer from overwinding?

>Maybe overwinding isn't what Im thinking of? But turning the mechanism on a (mechanica) watch too far doesn't hurt it?

If it's a handwind only watch, you get to a point where there's a certain amount of resistance where you can't turn the crown to wind anymore, and you feel that if you did, you'd really have to force it. That's the limit. If it's an older hand wind (like a vintage pocketwatch or older wristwatch) it's best that, if you start winding, to wind "to the end", as in, don't wind a bit every so often; if you wind, wind fully every time. Don't think it matters with modern watches and their modern mainspring materials. I was always taught it was a danger with vintage pockets with their older alloys.

If it's an automatic, and you handwind it via crown, it's debatable whether or not winding the crown on an auto too often will wreck the watch, as it's not exactly designed to be crown wound like a dedicated handwound mechanical. IIRC the construction between them is different to the extent that a watch designed to be hand wound has a more robust hand winding mechanism, but the same parts on an automatic are by comparison flimsier.
Some people claim to wind all the time with no probs, but I hear all the time stories of dealers and watchmakers humming and hawwing, warning people that you really shouldn't do that.

I've never seen the need to hand wind an auto. Set the time, wear it. If you need any more than that then get a watchwinder box.

The 2824 is one of the calibers widely reported to be damaged by excessive hand winding.

not overwinding though

> The Eichi seems pretty disimmilar from the rest of the watches.
That's partly the point. The Eichi 2 seems so simple unless you know what's involved to make it.

> What do you think of a Laurent ferrier?
I only pick watches I've seen in person and I've never been anywhere that sold those. However that does remind me. I recently saw some De Bethune, a brand I hadn't heard of before, the DB25 series watches and they were stunning.

>I love the 1815, it's been my favorite watch ever since I got it. ALS simply make stunning movements and the finish is sublime.
It really is very nice. I like that it can be dressed down easier than say the saxonia.

Did you ever consider any VC's?

>most people wouldn't even knows its a PP if I wore it and that I like.
Most wouldn't know what a PP is, and then on top of that it's WG which makes it even more stealthy. I love glossy black dials, but I don't like it when the hands and indices are polished "wrong". I'll have to go try it on again to see if it really pisses me off or if it was just a fluke.

Do you have a loupe?
If you do, or if you plan to get one, please check out the movement of your patek and lange and report back here as there's been some discussion around here of late on the relative failings of patek in maintaining an acceptable level of finishing for a watch of that calibre and pedigree.

If you have a cam with a macro lens, some comparison shots would be most welcome. After all, how often does one see a Patek or Lange owned by the same user on our shitty /wt/?

What did you major in? I wish to one day become successful like you.

I image most of the people here who own a full display case of entry level/vintage jap and slavshit to be something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

Are we going to get a /wt/ unboxing anytime?

I agree, only person worth a damn in this thread is this gentleman.

The db25 are cool but wear huge, be wary. You should definitely get out to a watch event (sihh, watchtime, etc) or high end watch jeweler (Cellini, etc) some time if you want to see pieces in person.

You can have one or two Seikos/G-Shock/Timex for work, posting it on /wt/ as part of your collection makes you look like a fool though. The minimum acceptable is a vintage Omega or Tudor.

CS. Let's just say I finally joined a hipster Silicon Valley startup that has actually done well.

> Did you ever consider any VC's?
Yes. I was intending to get a Patrimony but when I did a side-by-side to the ALS in the dealership it was no contest. ALS easy won. I do still want to get a VC, there was one *extremely* nice VC, boutique limited edition but it was out of my price range. It was gorgeous though ... :(

> Do you have a loupe?
No though I may now have to.

You're so cool, I bet you drive a Tesla or at least a Mercedes S-Class.

Hell no. I drive a shitty Toyota. Watches are my only luxury / vice.

Why your Patek looks so fake?

That's pretty smart, cars depreciate. Your collection will only get more expensive.

That's a really nice collection. You should consider a mid-brown croc strap for that Rolex or one or two of your other gold cased models.

I'm particular taken with that Omega Connie. Does it have the 56x movement?

Is mvmt watches bad? Looks and that is just works is more important than the guts for me

Pls no

Well they look like shit too in person and you can literally get them for $5 on aliex

Hey ks user, any reason for me to prefer one of the 5245 or 5255 over the other?

Yes they are fashion garbage.

Man thats a sexy Datejust. I prefer the original band however.

AC3 fanbois in action again. I mean I love my Speedy & Rolex but I also love my vintage Seikos and really think they are a part of my collection.

> You should consider a mid-brown croc strap
I have several extra straps including brown. All croc or leather.

> Does it have the 56x movement?
Yup, it's a 561 calibre. Unfortunately it's been polished but I'd never found as good an example before.

Shit camera phone probably.

Lies, under what name?

youtube.com/watch?v=wAkCLpMtjlM

They never appear as "mvmt" anymore because aliexpress is trying to ban all the "counterfeits" and in this case the real thing. Same goes for DW.

Nice collection m8. Its certainly stays on its theme.
How long have you been collecting?

Sup m8?

Hence why I asked under what name I might find them

Hey avocado, I remember you enjoyed the 1/100 Heuer - added a lemania split second.

Nice. The 56x is an amazing movement, one of the greatest series produced automatic movement designs of all time.

You should add a vintage Grand Seiko or King Seiko (Daini Seikosha produced obviously) to your collection.

The 5245/5246 has instant day/date change at midnight, but no protection against breaking the quick-set if you use it between 9pm and 3am. It also may not have had quite as much adjustment labour lavished on it as the 5256, which were the last high end mechanicals Daini Seikosha produced before the quartz revolution took over.

Not much, been paying more attention to CPU news than /wt/ for the last few days. My 116223 is still running +0.0 since April 22 even though I've now taken to only wearing it every other day, amazingly.

How about you m8?

mvmt isn't the best brand out there, but if you like them then who cares, spend the money, but just know you could buy a tissot, or a seiko, or even an orient for around the same price, and it'll last you longer

I would the paint chips yea, pic related is my old watch that has stopped working, they all die at some point

Thanks. Will bias towards the 55 then (much as I adore an instant date change). Hopefully I can find a case in decent shape and have the watch sent up to Shane.

>You should add a vintage Grand Seiko or King Seiko (Daini Seikosha produced obviously) to your collection.

I don't know enough about those models, yet, to feel confident about what to buy. Also nowhere I usually shop for bargains sells vintage Grand or Kings.

I am the waiting list for one of those new limited edition titanium GS though!

That longines looks very nice, might be worth fixing up.

Thanks! Will do it when I get the money as it was my dads, a new mvmt is cheaper at this point in time tho

That's a really nice looking model. I've not seen that design before but it's similar to a few from the 1970's I've bought before. If it is and that is 14/18k gold and it's given a careful service I wouldn't be surprised if it's worth several hundred $ at least.

That's looks awesome. I'm genuinely jelly. Congrats!

>My 116223 is still running +0.0
I'm happy for you m8. Congrats as well.
I've been just as busy as the last months, and bought a few more pieces.
Oh! And I've recently been given a G-Shock so I now also own a Casio, my first. Lol

>tfw just won a bid on a Seiko Bullhead

>I did a side-by-side to the ALS in the dealership it was no contest. ALS easy won.
Was it just the aesthetic difference? The feel in hand?
>I was intending to get a Patrimony
Which one?

I'm curious about the boutique model you mention now. Was it complicated?

>No though I may now have to.
Yeah, get a loupe, or a macro lens, or even one of those cheapo macro lens attachments for your smartphone cam as it'll do the same thing well enough and you'll be able to take pics. Very curious as to how a new, store bought patek compares to the ALS, movement finish wise.

It is a l4 677 2 longness, but in this condition it wouldn't be worth much

Just bought a fucking pope casio.

Ha! Well, when I need a watch that can take a real beating I still reach for my G-Shock 5610 above any of my other watches, so it certainly has its uses.

What are the other new acquisitions?

U jelly

Nice counterpheit phake shittur