Are we ever going to get a revised Kindle Paperwhite? It's been two years since its last refresh...

Are we ever going to get a revised Kindle Paperwhite? It's been two years since its last refresh. Or is the Voyage it's replacement?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_Genesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Honestly we won't see anything seriously new until they lower prices to something actually reasonable.

For what the device is actually doing, and the components needed it should literally be like $50 max. The fact that this shit is $200+ is just insane.

Other than an updated processor, I don't know how the paperwhite could get any better.

desu it needs better ergonomics for holding in one hand + physical page buttons, and they did that with the oasis already.

Only other thing to upgrade is the screen itself.

I just want one with a USB C port because my Kindle is the only thing I have that doesn't charge on USB C yet.

There's no point to upgrading them, unless they are going to make them a lot cheaper or release them with larger screens and higher resolutions. If they made a 10 inch 1440x1080 e-reader, I'd probably buy it, but the most I'd pay is ~$200. I have a Kobo Aura HD I've been using for years, but it's not exactly ideal for Manga, which a 10 inch e-reader would fix.

>implies the CEOs new Bugatti is free
what are you a communist?

also it costs 140$ without (((special offers)))

i mean yes it´s too expensive for what it is but it´s not 200+ expensive

There is no reason to upgrade between Paperwhite models. I have the newer one and a friend has the older version and you have to really pay attention to notice a difference between the ppi.

The glass screen on the Voyage is way nicer, but I got 3 defects in a row before just going with a Paperwhite. All 3 of the Voyages I got had defective backlights.

I just can't seem to understand why Kobo keeps fucking up so hard.

The Aura one was so close to being perfect, but of course it shits itself with PDFs and the interface is fucktarded.

I was thinking of buying an e-reader myself lately. Reading on my 6' inch phone is alright but I liked the paperwhite display when I used a friend's device.

Was thinking of going with the latest paperwhite and calling it a day but I don't really know the other models.

Who fucking cares, e-readers hit peak. I've got a Kobo Glo HD and that's already overkill.

Im Speculating but commercially, colour e-ink is only 12-24 months away.

Same I've used a Glo since they came out and it's still going strong. Picked up a refurb one cheap for a spare if I accidentally break it, like I did my previous shitty reader.

>there will never be another e-reader as good as the PRS-505

That looks like a pile of shit honestly

Kindles are shit if you want to actually be able to do anything with your device. Completely locked down, you can't change fonts, you can't change screensavers, you can't change pdf readers or the homepage or anything.

Honestly it's fucking ridiculous, but there's no actual competition in the market so it's what you get.

Kindles are great if you actually read books instead of cosplaying a 1337 h4xx0r.

No, I actually read books and within 10 minutes the first thing I wanted to do on my kindle was change the font from one of their defaults.

Don't kid yourself loser

But I paid the equivalent of U$50 on mine.

i have been looking ereader for manga, but they all seem expensive af

They have a nice choice of standard fonts. If you are too much of a snowflake, then you should have lurked more before buying.

>I actually read books
>complains about fucking screensavers and other underage customization tripe
doubtful

Not much business incentive to be developing a new kindle Paperwhite. The eBooks business seems to also be also on a downswing as people are buying less ebooks than expected past the few years. However I must say I find my own Paperwhite perfect for my own usage. Really good batterylife, pretty good UI, lightweight and perfect for travelling etc.

I mean sure, the machine is quite locked down, and you could buy a cheap tablet or something but the Kindle is a solid device that is well built. It will last you way longer than any tablet. Also buy the bit more expensive Kindle with the backlight, don't go for the cheapest base model. You will regret it later.

Yup. I own 4 ereaders(Prs-505, prs-600, kindle 3, Kobo Aura) and the PRS-505 is my favorite. If they uped the internal parts to line it up with todays tech, but kept the layout and build quality, It would be the best ereader ever... Shit, if they just updated the screen and threw in a backlight(but kept the same cpu, lack of wifi, etc...) it would still be the best ereader.

Are you stupid? There's literally no point and it would drive up the cost. You will never connect a Kindle to anything other than a charger or a host device for data transfer. Not a monitor or any other USB peripheral.

>as people are buying less ebooks than expected
I'd consider actually buying them if they didn't fucking charge exorbitant prices for it.

Order 'Kindle manga' from amazon Japan.

How's that cheap Kindle without backlight? I'm thinking of buying one

Im still on the paperwhite 1 and see no need to upgrade it any time soon or ever. Good handling, changed the battery for a bigger one, the original is very good to and the backlight is top notch.

The only thing that always pisses me of is the lack of genre/categories but im almost on pirated ebooks only so whatever.

>I love locked down hardware I can't modify

peasants
when will they learn

That's really just an indication of how bad the current crop of ereaders are, not how good the 505 is

How to make money 101:

>ebooks are $1-3 instead of $10-15
>ereaders are $20-$100 instead of $200-$400

bam, now you're actually selling ebooks and actually selling ereaders

these idiots are pricing themselves out of their own market

Foldable e-reader when?

Amazon is a big company, I think they can handle the cost of switching to USB C in their next Kindle revision. Is it so wrong that I'm slightly annoyed by the fact that I have to dig through my drawer for a micro USB cable whenever I need to charge my Kindle when I could just use the USB C charger I already have plugged in? I'm aware it's a first world problem, but if Amazon is going to make a hardware revision anyways, they might as well make using their product slightly more convenient.

You know what's even more locked down?

A book.

It's a e-reader not a fucking smartphone.

What a great argument, going out right now to buy locked down crap rather than stuff I can actually mess around with and use.

>Less features and less customization is good!
t. retards like you

>It's a e-reader not a fucking smartphone.
It pretty much is a smartphone, just one with a battery, ram, and processor from 10 years ago with an e-ink display on top.

>tfw bought a used paperwhite for $40
lel

They still need to work a lot on refresh rates for consumer models. Right now the tech is only really good for signs.

are you retarded?

Do you think I'm going out and buying books now that I've got an ereader, phone, and computer? How in the hell does someone come to the conclusion that since books are locked down, it's okay for everything else to be locked down too?

Here's how it works in reality:
I can buy a book, $10 - $30 give or take, each; It's bulky, it's heavy, I need sunlight or lamps to read, if I have more than a handful of books I need to dedicate expensive storage space for them. I can't change the font type, the font size, or the formatting, and just using the book will slowly wear it out.

Or I can buy a locked down ereader like a kindle; it's $100+, lightweight, can store thousands of books most of which I can get for free, lasts for weeks on a charge and can even light itself up for nighttime reading, but I still can't change the font type or formatting how I like, and I'm locked into ad-ridden bullshit that amazon forces on me and can't install any programs I want, like a better .pdf viewer.

Or I can buy an unlocked ereader or jailbreak a locked one; it's $100+ has all the advantages of a regular ereader, but I also have full control over the software and can do whatever the fuck I want with it.

GEE WHICH SHOULD I PICK ITS SO HARD

Seriously how does someone come to the conclusion that locked down ereaders are a good thing?
I'm fucking baffled.

I got a used paperwhite 3g no ads for 35.
After chrisman is the best time to search for that stuff, people dont like tech that cant run clash of clans

I'm pretty satisfied with my Paperwhite (300 dpi model). I spent around $100 though, $200 is bogus pricing. It's good, no complaints

>ads
Just buy the 3g modell without

>programs
What is wrong about having a dedicaded ebook reader that is only used for reading ebooks? Is that concept hard to comprehend? Why do all you faggots need an thing that does more than it is build for?

You can download books via3g if you dont cheap out on unlimited, ive never had such a great user experience before.

What is wrong with having a dedicated ebook reader that is used for reading ebooks and doing everything else I could want at the same price on the same hardware as a locked down version?

What is your justification for buying a locked down ereader over an unlocked ereader? What's the benefit?

>you can't change fonts
you can
>you can't change screensavers
who cares
>you can't change pdf readers or the homepage or anything.
seriously who cares

But that's not the DX

>everything else
Like what? You know that if you want it to do the usual smartphone stuff the big point ,,battery charge" is worthless and youl end up with a galaxy tab with an amazon brand.

>Ebook reader
>i want to do something different
On a
>ebook reader
Faggot

All I want is a paperwhite with 2 hardware buttons for page turning how hard can it be, Amazon?

fucking this.
why are they keep doing this?

What's the best e-book reader without touch screen?

>I'm only pretending to be retarded

Is this some brazil nigger or something?

Nice argument

Does Kindle/Kobo has an online manga reader app yet?

You never had one to begin with

get kobo aura one, its just better, this is coming from paperwhite and voyager owner (actually my left voyager on a plane)

You can't get one on the kindle unless you jailbreak

kobo probably does

kindle jailbreak is cumbersome and not that great tbqh, its not cfw of any kind, its just an app that you run instead of a book.

I use it and it's a pain in the ass. Some kid did better and installed debian on his kindle so he's got full access, but he couldn't actually do anything with it because no programs.

Wish I'd done more research on kindles beforehand; would've gone for one of the other brands if I knew how shitty the amazon software was. For now I'm just waiting for an oasis copycat that isn't locked down like amazon's stuff is.

Why the fuck does it also not have hardware buttons?

Other than the fact that it's simply more comfortable, these matte paper displays are much harder to clean than the glass displays of tablets.
I wash my hands like 10 times a day but my paperwhite still got greasy on the sides where I turn pages

Genuine question: I never considered another ereader than Kindle just for convenience sake because Amazon has basically every book ever.

How do you buy books with e.g. a Kobo?

why buy a device fro ma company that thinks adware is doing you a favor, and that you have to hack to control?

>buy

>buy
>ebook

I only want the display itself to be glass, not the rest of the ereader. Glass is too easy to break.

Please don't post it all the time. It has to remain a secret

>he didn't setup a cron job to check and download the whole library everyday and fear the day the website will be taken down
pleb

Mega pls
By the way thank you for deleting your post

It's literally on Wikipedia, I don't know why you think it needs to be shrouded in secrecy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_Genesis

wasn't my post

I use unlimited on az and load books that dont have it from mobilism.
Other sites have almost the same prizes on books and much smaller library

Hardware isn't too important for an E-reader desu, I have the first paperwhite and it still works fine; I want a newer one however just because of reasons.

What I do wonder is about e-ink readers that can do more than just reading. I remember owning a chink shit I bought for about $40 dollars and honestly it did much more than my current Kindle.

There's still no need to post it everywhere. More usage of the pirate sites always wakes the jew overlords

Dude I have a Kindle 3 wifi from 2010 and it is great. I see no reason for an update to paperwhite. All you need to be able to do is read some books and listen to some music maybe.

Anyone know of a an ereader that's good for comics and manga? Preferably full color if possible.

Why do you need a color display for manga?

May I suggest you just keep a C to Micro dongle in your wallet or something? I have a little Micro to C dongle that I always have with me and it's really convenient and does not noticeably increase the size of my wallet.

What I want:
An Oasis with a different OS, open source, with more storage and cheaper.

When I'll get it: 2025 at the rate of ereader progress today

don't think there's any commercial color e-ink displays, let alone ereaders, yet

Normal EPUB support would be nice, though it is kind of pointless when you can wrap an EPUB in an AZW3.

My next ereader will probably be a Kindle again. As much as I like my Kobo Aura, I miss being able to sync my pirated books across my ereader and phone.

DON'T DO IT
it's fine, but having the front light is so useful and so nice.

>can't run clash of clans
lol'd

>Comics and manga
I like to see pretty colors

I just upgraded from that same kindle to a Paperwhite

The frontlight means I can read at night, and that's when I do most of my reading

Sadly e ink technology doesn't support colored screens so your best choice is to read only manga or reading comics black and white

>used anything ever
You do realize other people have touched your used devices before you touched them right? absolutely disgusting

What are the other upsides if you care to explain

Darn. I heard about color e ink displays a year or two back and I thought it had progressed. Is there a lightweight 10 inch tablet with expandable storage? Because that would be ideal.

>I heard about color e ink displays a year or two back and I thought it had progressed.

eink patent holders are extreme jews

don't expect anything new until the current eink patents expire

Now that's some extreme autism.

What ebook reader do you recommend me Sup Forums? Affordable please.

> unironically buying eink devices because of mah eyestrain

chinese are outjewing them for some years already though, they don't give a fuck about patents or eink (a company)

it's inherent limits of electrophoretic technology, not patent problems

If I want a good reader and actually buy books to support writers is a Kindle from Jeff "Faggot Dr Evil" Bezos the only choice? How do you use a Kobo like a normie without piracy and jailbreak shit?

It's almost perfect, but smaller bezels (bigger screen in same size device) and search function that actually works without indexing (which infamously shits the bed) would be nice.

Kobo has a book store too, not as good but it is okay.

You can also just buy from Kindle store, rip drm, and then upload to kobo.

Or just git gud and get them for free.

>e-ink
>glass display
what the fuck
glare would murder you
the point is that it acts like paper

That's the main one
My battery was getting old, so a charge lasted around a week. Still not bad, but its better now
ppi is higher which is pretty nice

Another advantage is that it's way easier to look up shit - just hold afinger on any word for 0.5s (important for language learners).

I have owned every Kindle except original.

Avoid New Paperwhite at all costs.

It is made of creaky plastic, the touch screen is the worst I have ever used, the OS sucks (though is vastly improved with the last big update), and the backlight is a blotchy mess.

Plus amazon charges ridiculous amounts for e-books.