/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050/Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings for some games
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider only if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@90-144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3647vs3919
youtube.com/watch?v=8u1hd_7nUaw
geizhals.de/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-oc-4g-gv-n105toc-4gd-a1526015.html?hloc=at&hloc=de
pcpartpicker.com/list/b36Q2R
pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-6950X-10-core-Broadwell-E-Review/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3
youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>socket that big
>doesn't come near to 7700k performance
AMD does it again

Is It even possible to overclock m-atx motherboard?
No decent cooler seems to fit without punching ram and graphic. +matx cases do not support 160mm coolers in general so you gotta go with
h7 cryorig or similiar shit.

It's just a repurposed server socket, threadripper CPUs do not need as much pin but the regular AM4 1100~ pins aren't enough for it still

Also, even an R5 1600 is ahead of a 7700k in performance, unless you're talking gaming but Threadripper (nor R7) aren't made for gaming.
And Threadripper CPUs will most likely perform the same as a 1700 considering the rumored clocks

Maybe avec a cooler master h80i or similar AIOs, fairly sure they're not that big on the socket

keep living your sweet lie amdrone
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3647vs3919

>cpu.userbenchmark.com
Nice synthethic benchmark you have there
here is real world performance

The 7820x is going to be the new king of both reasonable gaming and workstation use. Mark my words.

Meh, wait for Threadripper pricing before you say that
The 7700k heat problems on a HEDT CPU isn't going to be very good in my opinion, and hopefully AMD can price Threadripper very competitively.

It's only 10% faster than the 6900k and yet has less PCIe lanes. That's Intel's own words.
It's what you'd expect from Intel's 1% IPC increase and near 10% clock speed increases. You can overclock a 6900k to be the same.

I think it'll be decent. Not worth the money, but more worth it than the 6900k was at least.
It's what, $600 + $300 motherboard? For $900 you can make a complete 1700 system with a RX580 and overclock it to be roughly the same performance as the 7820x for just the cost of 2 system components.

I bet you also use GPUBoss for selecting graphics cards.

Fucking hell, thread instantly jew jizzed on. Intelshills are literal cancer.

It's basically two 7700k's in one, it'll smash games for many years to come, and workstation applications in the immediate future hands down.

PCIe lanes are a meme, SLI/CF is dead. "muh options" is just jerking off over one of the few numbers that AMD can tout over the competition.

Mobo prices haven't been confirmed but there will almost certainly be a $200 option, if not less, given the two lower tier "literally why" chips they're putting out.

Good luck hitting those Turboboost speeds for more than a few seconds without DELID and a custom loop.

>i---it's not going to perform! 4.3ghz on all 8 cores with superior IPC doesn't matter anyways! t--toaster! house *sniff* fire!! PCIe lanes!!! ECC MEMORY!!!!!

as always, report and ignore shitposters

>4.3 GHz on all 8 cores
yeah, keep believing this

You do know what Turbo 2.0 is, right? It's every core.

>4.3ghz on all 8 cores
That is not all-core turbo.
>with superior IPC
Oh yeah, 5% IPC, yay.
>PCIe lanes!!! ECC MEMORY!!!!!
You mean the reason people buy HEDT in the first place? Not "muh gaymes"? Nobody is buying HEDT for this clockspeed shit. Nobody really bought Intel's old HEDT platform, either. I'm willing to bet even at several hundred cheaper, they still won't. They'll stick to much cheaper quad cores if they want to game.

Is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?

Need to get a wifi adapter, any recommendations or things to avoid?

Are Gigabyte GPUs any good?

For some games it's tight. Get 12GB (8 + 4) if possible, or at least 1x 8GB stick at the time being and add another later

No, 4.5 is not all-core turbo, 4.3 IS. clearly you haven't even bothered to read about these new processors because the box doesn't have a red logo on it.

For AMD GPUs they are pretty decent, for Nvidia one they tend to heat quite a lot & aren't much recommended though they are fine. It's pretty sad because they were considered the best with the 9xx series as they could all overclock much higher at acceptable temperatures, but not so much anymore.

no. i had 8gb up until a week ago and i found it to be the cause of the stuttering in many of my games like gta 5 and hitman. after i upgraded to 16gb i get smooth performance now.

If anyone's being a fanboy in here it's clearly you, otherwise you wouldn't have this picture saved don't you agree?

Any word on fresh supplies of RX500 cards?

I actually just googled that because I wanted to try shitposting. "amd shill crying meme".

Then please stop, the quality of posts is important

>tfw you just bought a gigabyte 1050ti

oh oh

It'll still do perfectly fine, it's just that other brands are better.

Don't pretend to know things when you are completely cluless.
4.3Ghz is two cores only.

Haven't been in the PC game for awhile, about to get a new monitor though.

Is VGA still the standard connection, or is it all HDMI now?

wtf, did intel get nervous about amd? lol.

i was going to get r5 1600 and MSi Mortar but suddenly feeling like r7 1700

do i need to beef up the motherboard too?

Would there be much of a difference between the Ryzen 1400 and 1500x when paired with an rx 570. Also any idea when the rx 570 is being released?

if you can get other than VGA then do so, because it has quite much lower bandwidth than HDMI, which itself has lower bandwidth than DVI, which itself has lower bandwidth than DisplayPort

Most people usually get DVI

VGA is archaic analog tech, though many monitors and onboard graphics might still support it, no video cards do anymore

HDMI is most common now, but HDMI, DVI-D and Displayport are all comparable unless you want big resolution and refresh rates. I prefer DVI-D simply because it connects more securely

>do i need to beef up the motherboard too?
Nope, no need to.

The RX 5xx series is already released, but the stock of RX 570 & 580s have completely disappeared because of recent bitcoin fuckery that make buyers jump over them pretty fast.
A 1500x would be ideal because the 1400 is noticeably weaker.

HDMI is for TVs. PC monitors are all Displayport today.

Is it possible to fuck up your on-board audio while building? I reassembled and cleaned my PC and now the audio doesn't work. Tried front and back ports, linux and windows, different bios versions, and verified the headphones work. Everything looks fine and as usual in the OS but there's no sound.

Planning to buy a GTX 1050Ti, which brand should i look for?

Trying to avoid mini versions for obvious reasons.

>no video cards do anymore
And that really sucks. I would love to play some Quake on a CRT.

DVI and Displayport is the standard for monitors now.
HDMI for TVs.
VGA exists for compatibility reasons.

You can get simple dongles to convert, user.

not with a 570, no. especially if you're on a tight budget. if you're spending the extra $25 on the 1500x you might as well spend another $25 to get the 1600.

youtube.com/watch?v=8u1hd_7nUaw

Yeah that's possible but pretty unlikely to happen. Is the onboard audio even detected?

I bought this one.

geizhals.de/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-oc-4g-gv-n105toc-4gd-a1526015.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

I'm honestly not very worried since I don't play demanding stuff. Maybe cuda will stress it a bit more but I'll see..

Those add extra lag though.

that's entirely wrong though

So in other words you'd have a quad core in there with two cores at 4.3 and two cores at 4.5, just barely under a 7700k, plus 4 more cores at 3.6.

I'm not sure you are conscious of what a proper benchmark is. That is not a "proper" way to show "real world performance".

Judging by that, the 1800X cpu is the best CPU in the whole wide world right now due to it's performance but it's shit unless you have high speed RAM, and in games it gets beaten by a 4670K, a quad core non threaded CPU.

Your benchmarks are no less, no more synthetic than the ones on that website you mentioned, retard.

I think so, if I plug in my headphones at the front Windows detects it and in the volume controls it appears as if sound is being output through the headphones. If I can't get it to work, would some cheap shit sound card do the job, or could the issue affect it as well?

that's not how it works, but keep trying.

>That is not a "proper" way to show "real world performance".
Alright sorry, didn't know synthethic > encoding benchmark

>Judging by that, the 1800X cpu is the best CPU in the whole wide world right now
Not my fault if you can't read simple graphs

did you install the audio chipset driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website?

1500x is a fair bit faster than the 1400. I genrrally wouldn't recommend the 1400.

Where the fuck do you find a decent RX580 for sale in America?

I read that the stock fans are really noisy so i wanted to replace them.

pcpartpicker.com/list/b36Q2R

Being used for gaming, that's it. No video editing, recording, or streaming.

Yay or nay?

Any good deals coming from computex? I need a new gpu and monitor

I doubt a cooler like that would have any trouble with a 1050ti.
It's probably this cooler which they use on their low end 1060s. for a 75w card though it will more more than enough.

Do you guys know about GPU virtualization? Is it a thing already?

I'm planning to build a PC with virtualization capability, mainly for software development but also general purpose and some occasional gaming. I need to run Windows and Android guests on a Linux host and GPU availability to the guests would be extremely helpful for graphical programs and GPGPU.

I also need a completely dust-proof chassis. In my area it's a problem unfortunately. I need it to stay clean 100% of the time so I don't have to do periodic dust cleanup. Do you guys know a case that guarantees this?

Budget for the whole computer is $5000. I'm flexible.

Brick and mortar stores, also you can find them in the future

Turboboost 3.0 picks out the best cores to run single threaded tasks on. pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intel-Core-i7-6950X-10-core-Broadwell-E-Review/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3

In any case, as was previously mentioned, you'll need to delid your shiny new $600 CPU and use a custom watercooling loop if you ever hope to keep those turbo speeds up for very long. It's called "Boost" for a reason. If it could run at those speeds consantly, it'd just be "Base".

When I push my power button nothing happens. I mean not even a twitch or flicker. Is motherboard broken? I'm sure I have eveything connected right. Will the pc power up if it's just the GPU or another part that's broken?

If the problem appears both in Windows & Linux then yeah a PCIe soundcard would most likely do the job, but i'm fairly sure cheap soundcards are very fucking shit.
There's no reason for it to affect a PCIe soundcard, unless your headphone is broken.

>in the volume controls it appears as if sound is being output through the headphones
Have you tried other headphones / speakers though? Or are you sure the headphone you use works fine? (try it on another device)

Try booting with only the mobo+psu with system speaker, see if you get any beeps. Also possible that the case / something is shorting the mobo.

Could be a number of things. try unplugging and replugging the 8pin and 24 pin power connectors in your motherboard a couple times first, then trun unplugging everything you can and replugging it, if that doesn't work your mobo or PSU is probably broken. you can test your PSU like this youtube.com/watch?v=ixcWCrYpw3Y but be careful

The ram runs a thousand mhz higher than Ryzen's

Check polarity on power switch lead

Make sure you installed motherboard standoffs.

Make sure you connected both motherboard power leads correctly and fully

Make sure the power switch on the PSU is on
Make sure PSU is set to the right voltage

what motherboard/RAM combination?

>I like it better, I can encode shit faster
>Definitely faster in the vast majority of the apps
>My usability > your usability you dweeb
>I want daddy to choke me harder, I can't handle the pressure

Why don't you just put a bullet in your head if you think an x264 benchmark is the epitome of performance benchmarking while you're at it?

Hint: It's not.

Hint: It may be to you because your animu encoding team doesn't get enough money from hooking and you need to resort to crappy AMD hardware.

Hint: Sucking dick is not the only way of making money.

Hint: KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKill yourself and take AMD with you while you're at it you dumb bitch.

You shouldn't really go higher than 3200MHz on intel.
For gaming at least there's basically no benefit after that point, and the difference between 2400MHz and 3200MHz isn't too impressive either.

No, I've done lots of fresh installs before and hadn't any issues so I forgot. I'll try it out. They don't offer those for linux though, right? Though if I could get it working for either OS I'd be happy.

Yeah, I'm using the headphones on my laptop right now. What's the price range for a soundcard that isn't complete shit? If it's too much I might just wait and buy a new PC, the current one isn't that good and I've been meaning to either upgrade or build a new one in september or so.

>stock fans are really noisy so i wanted to replace them.
The 7700k doesn't come with a stock fan anyway
Watercooler also are noisy because of the pump, a high-end air cooler with very big fans strapped on it & a custom fan curve would be quieter
And the temperature difference is marginal
That's a pretty expensive SSD, $90 non-samsung SSDs perform very very closely to it.
Founders Edition cards are shit, they offer no advantage over aftermarket ones & have a blower style cooler which is very very noisy. They also are more expensive, so don't get a Founder Edition card. What do you need a 1080ti for though? A 1070 can handle 1080@144hz fine and a 1080 even better.
850w is way over what you're needing, 600 - 650w would be great as it has still a very big amount of room left. Unless you're getting 850w on purpose because you don't want the PSU fan to spin or better efficiency.
If you want quiet case fans the Pure Wings are bad choice as they aren't that quiet, get some Silent Wings instead because those are the silent ones.

For $40 ~ $50 you can get something pretty good like a Xonar DGX (though the audio through front panel is at a very low volume for some reason) which is what i'm using, but i'm not too knowledgeable about the others so you should create a thread on Sup Forums for that

i meant the fans that come with the water cooler, but i'll check out an air cooler if that's true.

I could downgrade to a 1080, but I want to be future proof honestly.

on the topic of power supply, I don't want the fan to spin & i plan to overclock.

I'll also replace the Pure Wings with Silent wings, thanks man!

>i plan to overclock.
Just so you know, even 500w has room for pretty decent overclocking as most components these day are fairly power efficient.

Those 1080tis are pretty hawaii tier in power draw, i'd be a little concerned with a 500w. Unreasonably, i'm aware though, total power draw would probably be in the low 400s i'm just saying i'd be a little worried being at 80% load in game.

I have a gigabyte GTX 970 and my friend has an RX 580. We both OCed them to compare performance and the 970 easily stays above the 580 OC vs OC. At stock it's the other way around. Despite this, I have a freesync ultrawide monitor that does 75hz on freesync and only 60 hz on non-freesync gpus like my meme card. Is it worth it to buy a 580, which would be a sidegrade at best only to take advantage of these features?

The fury is out of the question because it's way more expensive than a 1070 here and vega, well, I'm not very confident in it, even less so due to how completely fucked up is the pricing of AMD stuff where I live.

Is freesync really that big of a deal or am I getting memed? Is the difference between 60 to 75 fps all that noticeable?

>Those 1080tis are pretty hawaii tier in power draw, i'd be a little concerned with a 500w.
iirc a 1080ti draws around 220w which is about the same as an RX 580, in comparison my R9 280 uses ~270w@full load and i'm running a 500w PSU
500w is tight but still pretty fine, though i wouldn't recommend it, but really you can run pretty much every current component on a 500w PSU without any problem

get the freedom drivers and change headphone impedance for the front panel preamp

>Is it worth it to buy a 580
Not at all

>Is freesync really that big of a deal or am I getting memed?
Freesync is good to ensures optimal smoothness at all time (because tearing really removes any sensation of smoothness) indeed

>Is the difference between 60 to 75 fps all that noticeable?
Slightly

But since you already have the monitor already, then it's definitely worth to get an AMD card in the future, as long as it's not a sidegrade.

I'm sorry to ask, but where do i get those exactly?

Image from computex

Different user but what should I get instead of a 580

How soon after Computex can we expect benchmarks? How am I supposed to decide if I want a new component without benchmarks?!

What GPU do you have currently?

None at the moment, planning on building a PC but I'm trying to lower the costs.

What are you gonna buy that's being released at computex anyway? There's only high end stuff that's been talked about there so far
Regardless, i9 is being released in June along Vega & EPYC, and Threadripper should follow soon after that. You're gonna have to wait anyway.

And what's the usage of the PC exactly?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the 8 core threadripper perform better than a 8 core ryzen given that you won't have the latency between the ccx clusters given that threadripper is using the 8 core zeppelin clusters instead of 2 4 core clusters?
That combined with the incredible chipset and pcie lanes and that fuckin thiccc socket (more surface area to dissipate heat) as well as maybe revised voltage handling meaning maybe it gets past 4.1ghz could make it literally the cpu

It's June now. I'd want to consider the HEDT lineup from Intel.

Current gen games, possibly programming later.

>ayymd razer pooshitter
No thanks. Intel is known to produce much higher quality CPUs and the last thing I want to have in my desktop is overheatig, shit single core performing cpu.
Also I will never support pajeet technology with my money. AyyMD = pajeets.

>It's only 10% faster than the 6900k and yet has less PCIe lanes. That's Intel's own words.
Where did they say this?

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the 8 core threadripper perform better than a 8 core ryzen given that you won't have the latency between the ccx clusters given that threadripper is using the 8 core zeppelin clusters instead of 2 4 core clusters?
You're absolutely right, but i doubt they're gonna make a 8 core threadripper when it's most likely they'll put a 10 cores 20 threads around the price of the $600 8 cores 16 threads i9. You can get a 8 cores CPU for as low as $325, & the 1800x is currently at $480. They're gonna need to fill the blanks in there & the extra PCIe lanes / quad-channel of the 8 cores i9 do make it more appealing to some users than the R7 CPUs, but considering how low they can afford to price their 8 cores CPU i doubt they're gonna bother making yet another 8 cores when they could again go very aggressive and put a higher number of cores for the same price

>PSU set to the right voltage
What? I've never heard of this. Unless tou mean if I have enough power. I do.
Not a single thing lights up. Could a pc still turn on if the gpu or cpu are turned off? I feel like the mobo or PSU are broken. The backplate for cpu installion came off while i was installing the cpu and the mobo fell almost a ruler length onto it because I picked up by the cpu like youtube guides show. I think that's what might've ruined it. If I have too i'll return wverything and buy new parts.

No Vega then?