LINUX CARS

Toyota will be the first US automaker to use "Automotive Grade Linux (AGL)" for its 2018 Toyota Camry. In case you're understandably confused by all the competing infotaintment platforms, AGL is an open-source system based on, you guessed it, Linux. It boasts 200 members from various sectors including Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Qualcomm, Intel and Samsung. The system is designed as an option to offerings from tech companies like Google and Apple, giving automakers a solid base that they can easily customize and update.

Other urls found in this thread:

osvehicle.com/osv-platform/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can I install gentoo on it?

I'm pretty sure other car manufacturers used linux, too. A friend of mine worked for a company that developed these infotainment systems and they all used linux

>inb4 custom roms
>inb4 serious car assistance systems failing because your bleeding edge custom rom build is completely untested
>inb4 it becomes a thing on XDA
>inb4 pajeets brand their versions and give them fancy names
>inb4 it gets a more cancerous community than Android

>free software

cheap asses

Will it actually be able to render a digital dashboard at more than 2fps per second?

Imagine buying a $100,000 car and it's all digital all LED monitor dashboard renders a fucking needle at 2fps, just because they used EMBEDDED qt libraries and qt is a steaming pike of shit.

Doesn't mater because people buying $100k cars don't care about minor technical matters.

>Sadeem Linux GOLD-edition 2017
can't wait

The following car manufacturers use Linux (or Android):
>Mercedes
>BMW
>Opel
>Volkswagen
>Ford
>Renault
>Citroen
>Peugeot
>Porsche
>Seat
>Skoda
>Nissan

The other brands I don't know.

I see you also got a bmw

I can't wait until they outlaw rooting your own car and installing an alternate operating system because oh no what if it leads to unintended acceleration.

The ECU better be sandboxed far away from the computer.

>not mentioning Tesla
shiggy diggy
kek

Guys, it's not as as you think. Linux is GPLv2, which means Tivoization, which means the manufacturers are still the only ones permitted to change the software on your car. You'll only be able to read the source, and likely just the kernel's, but not do anything about it if there's a part you don't like.

Android is NOT Linux

It's not GNU, you mean.

>The system is designed as an option to offerings from tech companies like Google and Apple...
That sentence seems incorrectly structured.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as AGL, is in fact, GNU/AGL, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus AGL. AGL is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called AGL, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a AGL, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. AGL is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. AGL is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with AGL added, or GNU/AGL. All the so-called AGL distributions are really distributions of GNU/AGL!

>The year is 2020, and today I will post my riced out anime dashboard in the Sup Forums dashboard thread.
>The shitposters are particularly restless today, and insist we go back to /o/, where we have never been.

Most use QNX.

Linux is pretty new in the automotive area.

It has been used in airplane entertainment systems for a while though with both Thales and Panasonic basing their systems (or at least some parts of it) on embedded Linux.

>digital dash
>drake
>future
Cmon user. "Literally who?" It's not exactly obscure

I'm pretty sure some cars already allow custom picture display, I think Prius?

Wait imma can connect my Android phone after the updates
Sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I don't even know any black people. The only rapper I know anything about is DMX and the fat man who says ANUTHA WUN.

This is big news because Toyota Camry is one of the most popular cars in the world.

>in the world
America is not the world.

>when your PajeetOS corolla wraps itself around a pole
hello sir dis is rajesh
yuor ROM is buggy

Can't wait to sudo just to unlock the car door.

Think again eurocuck.

Actually it is. That's why everyone in the world goes apeshit when Trump does anything.

You can't sudo on a machine, albeit remote or local, without first authenticating period.

>that picture

i didn't even realize this was a guy until I read the comments

>you will never be cute

WOW I LOVE TRYING NAVIGATE THE DIGITAL DASHBOARD AT 1FPS TO TRY TO TURN OFF THE HEAT WHILE DRIVING INSTEAD OF SIMPLY TURNING A KNOB

FUCK THIS SHIT

UNIX (and its derivatives) was/were a huge step backwards in OS design

But you can rice it out right now

Pic related > infotainment

KEK

– PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY –

‘We’re dead.’

‘Shut up, Jose, we’re not dead. Be cool and hand me that USB stick. Keep your hands low. The cop can’t see us until I open the doors.’

‘What about the cameras?’

‘There’s a known bug that causes them to shut down when the LAN gets congested, to clear things for external cams and steering. There’s also a known bug that causes LAN traffic to spike when there’s a law-enforcement override because everything tries to snapshot itself for forensics. So the cameras are down inside. Give. Me. The. USB.’

Jose’s hand shook. I always kept the wireless jailbreaker and the stick separate – plausible deniability. The jailbreaker had legit uses, and wasn’t, in and of itself, illegal.

I plugged the USB in and mashed the panic-sequence. The first time I’d run the jailbreaker, I’d had to kill an hour while it cycled through different known vulnerabilities, looking for a way into my car’s network. It had been a nail-biter, because I’d started by disabling the car’s wireless – yanking the antenna out of its mount, then putting some Faraday tape over the slot – and every minute that went by was another minute I’d have to explain if the jailbreak failed. Five minutes offline might just be transient radio noise or unclipping the antenna during a car-wash; the longer it went, the fewer stories there were that could plausibly cover the facts.

But every car has a bug or two, and the new firmware left a permanent channel open for reconnection. I could restore the car to factory defaults in 30 seconds, but that would leave me operating a vehicle that was fully uninitialised, no ride history – an obvious cover-up. The plausibility mode would restore a default firmware load, but keep a carefully edited version of the logs intact. That would take three to five minutes, depending.

‘Step out of the vehicle please.’

>2fps per second^2

this.
Have a friend that works for one of those self-driving car companies, programming stuff.
Uses QNX, Linux is too bloated.

>SwiftKey

Good man.

Then what should they use? Windows 10, macOS?

>Linux is too bloated
Have you ever run "make menuconfig" in your life or you're just saying?

templeOS

Dude, that's not my assessment, that's the industry's.
Besides, even Linus agrees that for embedded stuff, Linux is too big and not suitable and other kernels are a better choice.

QNX is used on the ECU, while Linux is most commonly used on the navigation and infotainment system.

My Ford car has SYNC by Microsoft, I wonder if it's MS-DOS or NT based.

Temple OS installed on my car.
>enlightened

>>inb4 custom roms
>>inb4 it gets a more cancerous community than Android
Look up performance chips on ebay. It's going to happen.

If the car software itself causes a crash, who would be responsible for the crash then?

mfw when open source cars already exist

osvehicle.com/osv-platform/

>put in different fuel for once
>linux panics and half of programs break
>drive into a tree

>2fps per second
holy shit just wait a minute and you'll have 120Hz

didn't some guy install gentoo on his tesla? i guess it's possible to install gentoo on toyota aswell

Can you hack them by turning the steering wheel to the left 28 times?

VxWorks famalam.

sudo yum upgrade

sudo pacman -Syu

or in ~/bashrc

alias update='/home/usr/Documents/./update

~/Documents/./update

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo snap refresh

Lost

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKT- fuckit i'll be a car...

>not sudo apt-get autoclean at the end

>Toyota will be the first US automaker to use "Automotive Grade Linux (AGL)" for its 2018 Toyota Camry.
The 2018 Toyota Camry will be the first Toyota vehicle on the market with the AGL-based system in the United States.

** RESERVED **

sent from my renault 15 using tapatalk

>totals car, forgets/can't flash it back to stock, warranty voided and insurance claim denied

kek

kek'd

>Camry/GNU/Linux
Take my shekels

It's not about bloat. QNX is a real-time OS and Linux isn't, simple as that. This has nothing to do with performance or extraneous applications. It means that the OS is absolutely GUARANTEED to perform a task within a given time window without fail. This behavior in an OS is absolutely critical for systems where human lives are on the line.

>tapatalk

Speaking of massive security liabilities...