LAPTOP THREAD

What kind of laptop do you have?
Do you like it?

Pic related is a dell m3800. Thinking of getting one of these or a thinkpad workstation. Haven't decided yet

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Asus N56VZ and x220 owner.
Using X220 all the time, cause It's fucking powerful on-the-go solution that I don't have to care too much about.

>x220
sounds about right

How's the asus? Everyone I know with one has expressed dissatisfaction with the build quality.

Whats a good 1080p entry level laptop? I just need it for the most basic shit and prefer integrated graphics.

Asus n56VZ is built quite well, quite sturdy. The only thing that broke was the screen frame -the hinge is steel and inforced like in thinkpads, but the frame was shit non-flex plastic

Toshiba Chromebook 2

does somebody own an xps 13 with a fhd screen? would like to know if the adaptive brightness shit is still an issue

XPS 9560. After some distro hopping, I've finally settled on Xubuntu, as it's the only stable one on this laptop. Arch next contender. And dual booting Windows for games.

I'm regretting not going for an X1 Carbon, as I'm mostly working on the commute. But the thing is a beast and I have no problem with it whatsoever. It's really good on every single thing, it's just that I know the X1 would be even better on build quality, weight, portability and keyboard.

I did also consider waiting for the P50's successor. Those are the only three modern professional laptops worth the money imo.

None atm, I'm a poorfag living a in third world shithole.

I'm trying to track down something cheap here, but the best that I could find so far was the X200. Any suggestions?

The XPS 13 DE is also a good choice. I've got mine running Fedora and Ubuntu, both not requiring any extra drivers.

What's a good laptop with a good screen, good battery life and metal body? I have a Thinkpad T430 now and it's great otherwise but I don't want to have my next one be plastic on the outside since mine has cracked from the lower body from opening the lid for some reason.

2016 MacBook

It's great - super light so I can take it everywhere I need to

HP laptop are cheap and do this fine

I've got a T440s and my old T430

T440s is a damn good device, I have the 4200u/12gb/730m version. It has an internal and a hotswappable battery.

My work device is a W540, and the thing feels flimsy, but the 2880x1620 display is amazing. Battery life is excellent, too.

There's an HP laptop on Amazon with a 1080p 14" IPS display and a quad core AMD LP APU for about $220. I think you can mod it/just install a full sized SSD or HDD if you open it up, and it has a crappy eMMC.

nothing wrong with getting an x200 m8
t. disposableincomefag in burgerland

I want to play CSGO on medium with 120+ fps while not carrying around a 5+ lb laptop. Possible?

>consider waiting for the p50's successor
When do you think that'll come out?

I think the newer thinkpads are more metallic on the outside, no?

Otherwise, sounds like a dell xps / precision might be up your alley.

The w540 feels flimsy but the t440s doesn't? I'd expect it to be the opposite. Did you do the trackpad swap on either of them?

Razer Blade is probably your best bet

A dell M3800 might work. It's basically an xps 15 with a quad core cpu / dedicated gpu. \

What's the best laptop out of Computex so far?

No, most of the flimsiness is from the base, seems like the W540's filled with more wasted space than the 440s, but the displays feel equally strong. For some reason the W540 has a weird tendency to bend more easily at the palmrest, too.

No trackpad swap, the glass trackpad is fine.

I have a Metabox P650RE (pic related), which is an amazing all-rounder laptop that can handle most modern games at decent settings. It's basically just a reskinned, Australian-based CLEVO. I'm considering buying a chink Chuwi Lapbook 14.1 as a more portable one specifically for shitposting, Normiebooking and running my TTRPG. It's like $258USD/$351AUD, and all the reviews I've read say that it's a cracking notebook for the price.

Decent cheap gaming laptop, anyone? Just want to play chivalry or cod4...

T420, display isn't the greatest, but in terms of other features I have yet to see a reasonable alternative released since then

>120+ fps
60hz monitor? Whats that.

Razer blade stealth for uni

its overpriced as FUCK and the battery life sucks fat cock but it looks nice and i switched to ubuntu so i dont have malware 10

XPS 13 9360
Super light, decent specs, and great battery

>Razer
>overpriced
>shit battery
>but it looks nice
Ill have the opposite of what he's having, with extra sauce.

>bought a laptop with a high resolution display

im disappointed. sure the stuff that does scale correctly looks nice, but everything else (which is mostly everyone) doesnt and is a complete fucking joke.

i dont know people praise these displays as being so great

are you saying a 1366x768 would've been a better choice?

at this point it doesnt look too bad, at least everything isnt blurry or ridiculously small

Am I the only one who appreciates touch on a laptop? I think it makes most things I use my laptop for quite a bit easier.

ThinkPad X200 tablet - top-tier
ThinkPad X220 tablet - top-tier; using this one when I work abroad since I can run virtual machines in it (otherwise, I would stick with the X200)
Latitude 2120 - bought it as a cheap travel laptop when visiting third world countries; not bad but pretty slow even with an SSD; considering just using the X200 for that

What's a good laptop that has flawless linux compatibility?

any older thinkpad

I said "good", hombre.

Alienware 17 r3
i7 6700 HQ
GTX 970m
32 GiB RAM
Samsung 950 Pro for OS disk
17 inch 4k screen

Runs Arch quit well. Only problem is I can only adjust the LEDs on Windows so I have an install on a second m.2 sata ssd for that purpose.

The Chuwi with the 3000x2000 screen driven by a celery? Seems like a bad idea.

Dell Inspiron 13 i7 2 in 1

Get a dell 5470/540 depending on if you need thunderbolt or not.

not a fan.
>worsens battery life
>fingerprints on screen

I need a little help guys. So I just bought a new slightly used laptop today, looks like it never got used and apparently the drivers hasn't been updated in 25 months if I am to believe that site that test if your system can run certain games.
I'm sorta a tech retard and never had a computer worth shit for gaming or anything. But I got this alienware 13 r2 with pretty insane specs (to me at least and for what I paid)
Could someone tell me how I go about updating drivers or keeping it maintained or just advice on what I do now with this shiny new toy? I've never had anything this nice before, nor have I ever used or touched anything with a nvidia gpu or alienware before
Specs

i7-5500U
16GB DDR3L ram
GTX 860M
512GB SSD
windows 8.1

Kinda wish it was windows 10 to be honest.

Dude get the Alienware command center

There are people who need thunderbolt?
Fucking who?

>Arch
what a waste of a gaming laptop.

some hp elitebook I got refurbished for cheap off of newegg. if I remember right I paid like a hundred and forty for it and it's a first gen i5 with four jigs of ram

I should probably google to find out what that is shouldn't I?
Thanks

just go to the alienware site downloads section

Are MSI laptops really shitty? Any brands to outright avoid?

I have an old ass Dell Latitude E4300.
Hardware is obviously outdated garbage but its a fine shitposting machine that will endure roughest domestic violence without ever complaining.

not so much a brand to avoid as a class to avoid. stay away from consumer grade laptops and get a business grade one. you can get a refurbished one with the same or better specs as a consumer grade one new, for much less monies

A piece of shit HP Envy with a touchscreen

Man, was that a mistake

Are touchscreens really that bad? Last 3 laptops I've gotten all had them, it seems to have been a big fad a few years ago but I don't see it as much anymore, or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I sorta liked them at first but they seem like the color is always off on them for some reason.. Like it's washed out or whatever.
It's useful for when you're in bed and just wanna scroll up and down a page but other than that
>fingerprints
everywhere

No but they're not the best, still far from bad.

Acer, mostly any consumer laptop, etc.

Should I get the 2016 MacBook Pro 13.3" (Silver, dual-core i5, 256gb SSD) for around $1300-$1400?

It's my birthday coming up next week, and my wife insists on buying me(us) a laptop. I initially was looking at the Dell XPS 13, but there seem to be quite a lot of problems showing up in reviews, and the thought of Windows 10 kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth. And I've always wanted to give MacOS a shot, desu. It looks pretty damn comfy...

I just wanna make sure this purchase wouldn't be an obvious mistake due to some glaring flaw, or something else I'm not seeing. (Note: I use Android exclusively and don't plan on using an iPhone any time soon - in case it matters.)

Thoughts?

Currently have some Samsung laptop, for a ~5 year old laptop it's still holding up really well. Before that I had a HP Pavilion dv6700 and while that thing was a piece of literal hot shit, I still find myself missing those media buttons.

Don't know if I want to replace this with a XPS 15 or Xiaomi Air. Honestly, if I had the money I would just buy both. I already know about the Air's shitty battery and I wouldn't mind it. Does the XPS 15 have any issues?

For me it's Linux > mac > windows
If you aren't a linux person, mac is a better experience than windows.
But that doesn't change the fact you're going to overpay for underpowered hardware.

Android shouldn't be a concern. I used an S5 for years with a macbook air. Just download android file transfer

what the hell
do gooks need tampons for their bellybuttons?

got a used laptop today that has nothing on it and the user wasn't even set yet, do I need to format it or do a system refresh or just change the user name and use it as my own?
Seems like it never even got used or the place I bought it from already did that before I got it and it's just a random user account not tied to anything

I'd definitely format and reinstall the OS fresh, my man.

does that delete or mess up any preinstalled things that may have came with it?

Yes, a clean slate is the whole point.
3rd party software will have to be reinstalled. If you don't have the license keys and can't into piracy then you're up shit creek without a paddle.

It's better than an account someone else made on an operating system someone else installed.

>When do you think that'll come out?
Already out, the P51

>(otherwise, I would stick with the X200)
Can I ask why? The X200 is 1280x800 and TN right?, I always thought 1366x768 (though IPS) on the X220T was small enough

What's better about the 200?

My Dell came with oobontoo. So is most free components...

The X220 is better, but the X200 suits my needs for basically everything except virtualization.

e7450
yes

>No trackpad swap, the glass trackpad is fine.

opinion discarded

Nah, 1080p I think. I'm looking at the 14.1" one, not the 15" one.

i need a laptop thats not plastic
decent cpu/ gpu (no atom or pentiums)
isnt locked down (can run linux)
has a hd screen, maybe 16:10 or not a super wide screen.
is it possible?

hola my friend
stallman.org/guantanamero.ogg

yeah fug i have it on my xps 15 because you have no choice in 4k

I have the m3800 and wouldn't recommend it. Not the worst laptop, but you'll have to put up with coil whine and a shit trackpad.

2012 Series 7 Chronos. It's getting up there, but still doing most anything I ask for it. I think I'd only upgrade if the Zen Vega APUs notebooks start dropping jaws. And even then I'd like an 80+ Watt hour battery plus an extra HDD bay.

thanks for the warning. Both of those things would bother me.

Thinkpad X220 and G751 (965m) and about to pick up another G751 (980m)

I ordered a XPS 15 i7 8GB
Really exited, my last one was a Latitude D600.

5 year old Asus U31F that i put an ssd in and run Ubuntu 16.04 off. Still works for everything i need. Fan stopped a few minutes ago and I was worried it was dying, but it turns out it was just winter being cold.

I need an 11 incher or so for college. I was thinking about chromebooks but the new ones are crazy expensive and a lot of them only have 2GB RAM which I can't believe is sufficient for even web browsing

acer aspire e5-475g
regret it

why?

i5* (*dual-core)
1366x768
build quality is meh

but at least it's cheap and has a nice gpu for it's price

Mine is amazing sry famallama

>How it feels to upgrade from your stinkpad

t420,
probably, or close to, the best $175 i've ever spent
8gb of ram + 3.5 gbz i7. All it needed was a new battery. I run Debian on it, perfect laptop.

It's a bit thicc but who gives a fuck

Thinkpad t540, i7 4800mq, 8gb RAM, ssd, sh, 3 yo, but steel absolute beast

x220t i7 8gb ram 240gb ssd USB 3.0 via expresscard and fresh extended battery still trucking

Got an inspiron 7559 last month for 650, pretty nice little machine (i7 6700hq, 8gb ram, gtx 960m, 4k touchscreen). Got an m.2 ssd and 8gb more ram coming today, should help this thing fly. They certainly look nice

Dell XPS 15, T470(s/p) or X1 carbon?

Money is not an issue.

I used to use a Toshiba satellite c55, but the casing is falling apart, so I'm using that as a backup and got a Thinkpad E575 for everyday use.

I've got a thinkpad x1 yoga. It's good.

ever heard of returns?

I pray everyday for when lenovo will lauch the thinkpad classic.

I love my x200, but I want something faster, with the same level of portability the x series has that doesn't cost a kidney.

X230
Cheap, well built, enough power for my usage (light video editing and a bit of 3D), good battery life, small, tiny little things that I like

I don't like the screen (a fHD IPS would be better) and the fact that I bought a second 4gb ram stick but the second slot was broken so I can only handle 4GB of ram.

Paid it in 2 days of work so I can't complain

Current is an 8-year old Toshiba Satellite

Was pretty set on getting a XPS 9550 till the new SP was announced since I'm more into digital art. Now I'm thinking of SP4(i7) + new pen, which apparently is much improved and backwards compatible. Thoughts?

xps

I want a decent laptop for college. I have a good desktop so I don't need dedicated graphics or anything crazy. I'm looking for good battery life, and a nice construction. Looking to spend around $800 or less.

I've got a 4 year old satellite C55. The outsides falling apart and the 768p kills my eyes, but it runs like a beaut after it's 3 minute start up even though it was only $400 dollars

inspiron 7567 and ya i like it

swapped panel w/ nice 120hz panel, games love it. might swap the panel back and use it for just a daily browser/multitasking laptop bc dell didn't whitelist 3rd party monitors so i can't turn down the brightness lmao.

otherwise A+

I have a clevo gaming laptop but its quite old now and I hardly game, I am considering getting xps13 just for travel and portability.

I also use some shitty think pad from work, dont even know the model, I hate it