USB vs. PCI-E WiFi adaptors

What is the best option for a desktop? It won't be possible to run ethernet cables at the new place I'm renting, so have to go wireless.

PCIe is better for connectivity because USB is more limited in how much power it can use

Run an ethernet cable.

This. Wireless is the last option.

>but it looks ugly
Tell your gf/wife/trap to get over it

You want a Powerline adapter. Pretty much just werks (tm).

Fucking this, but get a good brand like TP Link, D-Link or Linksys, for some reason Netgear can make decent ones

PCI-E, if you've got a gaming PC, get one that has a heatsink because heats drastically affect these adapters.

One thing to note is that the adapter pictured in the OP needs older drivers to function at its best, the newer ones cause crashes in Windows when using torrent applications. I believe it's the same for the other brands that use the same chipset.

Devolo are the only ones worth using.

Nice dubs, but I've had nothing but good performance with TP Link

Powerline adapter user. Get good one or you will have newtork issues.

just get a halfway decent 802.11ac setup going, you'll get at least 200mbps even with shitty equipment everywhere

As main = Ethernet cable
Backup, if cable/port is busted = PCI-E WIFI
>USB
There is an app that turns your phone into a wifi adapter, I don't remember the name of it though.
It worked for me, but I'd still go for the PCI-E.

The app you're thinking of is PDAnet, but it's a ghetto as fuck way of getting the computer the internet, plus it causes the phones to overheat if you use it for too long

pci-express. more theoretical bandwidth, better range, and should offer lower latency.

though wired > all

> It won't be possible to run ethernet cables at the new place I'm renting, so have to go wireless.
just run it on the ground. i ran a 50 foot one for nearly two years before i got my own place. i just threw little rugs on top of it and did my best to keep it along the wall.

I have a D-Link one, however they don't sell the model anymore. Can I get a different brand? Old room mate has a TP Link I could probably get

No, this will conflict and cause problems with your supply of electricity if you have a high demand rig.

as a mac user who has recently taken the PC pill for cores and cuda. Wifi/BT fucking sucks on PCs it's a bad joke.

Why isn't this shit standard in cases where you can hook a standard plug of the mobo with wifi up to a standard shielded antenna on the case.

Does this shit actually work? I have FiOS but I only get 300/300 wifi. Would I get 900/900 with this?

>plus it causes the phones to overheat if you use it for too long
Obviously you used the wrong sort of phone.
I had to use the "Personal Hotspot" on my iPhone for a day or so when the fibre went out.
No problems with heat but I did need to put it on the charger in the afternoon.

PCIe and make sure your router has 5Ghz

My router is downstairs and can't run a cable down the steps and don't want to drill through the wall.
What is a cheap but decent wifi adapter?? Been looking at the TL-WDN8400, it's only $17. Anyone have it?

run ethernet or use moca, wireless is fucking useless and its obvious you want it for MUH BIDEOGAMEZ XD

Get power line adapters senpai

I got OP pic related and I've had annoying issues and the driver support is horrible

/Thread

Yes, fucking IF(!) you do.
I highly doubt OP has anything of the like tho, else he likely wouldn't ask this question to begin with.

This too, but with an older asus adaptor. Drivers were shit and would cause my pc to micro stutter now and then while it was in use.

Just use the older drivers, works fine for me.

I am using older drivers, which don't support gigabit, it's just fucking shit

I can't imagine they give better speed than a pci-e adapter

Google it for yourself, also latency is second to directly hooking up to the modem

Would powerline reach these speeds?

USB is plug-n-play

The better ones should, yes

>There is an app that turns your phone into a wifi adapter
Tethering?

Using you phone as the wifi reciever

Verizon a shit

Portable
Mad signal strength
1337 haxzor! street cred

You watch your filthy mouth, whore

Yes, that's what I'm using right now.

tethering is sharing your mobile connection

>tethering is sharing your mobile connection
On an after-market rom like Cynaogenmod, I can tether with wifi or 4G.

damn thing stopped worked all of the sudden. light powers up when you plug it in and then goes out, doesn't find any wifi.
lost 20 something bucks on it.

Bought this one. It's working alright, just the speed keeps on fluctuating and makes me lag in games all the time.

Not sure if i have the antenna positions right.

although not quicker (obvs) how does this beat a wifi card for performance? is it the same as pluggin directly into the router?

i curently use the same,had no issues with signal thus far..might go with the powerline adaptors after all the shilling goin on

I've been using the two-antenna version in two different machines over the past 3-4 years and have had no complaints so far. They just werk.