/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/87PvZ7V
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6420-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-2-20GHz-4GB-No-HDD-OS-Batt-/162533389853?hash=item25d7beb61d:g:ehMAAOSw8HBZLEoy
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6430-Intel-Core-i7-3720QM-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-No-Battery-/142371810671?hash=item2126056d6f:g:Jb0AAOSwcgNZCqFn#viTabs_0
ebay.com/itm/HP-Elitebook-8470W-Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-2-3Ghz-8GB-500G-Win-7-Pro-14-/112406377207?hash=item1a2bf132f7:g:VdUAAOSwjqVZF4Y1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for comfiness

Here's my x201!

>8GBs of RAM
>SSD
>Debian Unstable
>Japanese Keyboard
>OEM 9v battery (New a year ago!!)
>Modded BIOS
>Kernel Compatible Wireless Module
>AFFS Mod

They're pretty deep, but yeah I've tried that. No use. :/

>japanese keyboard
neck yourself

>Winshit 95
I laffed a little.

Also, do other brands have anything similar to ThinkPads/Latitudes/EliteBooks/etc? If I remember correctly Toshiba had Tecra or something, and Sony sold some metallic VAIOs in the era of the Core2Duo Merom...

What's a kernel compatible wireless module?
Does that mean it works without non-free drivers?

t420 on the way with 32gb msata for the OS.
also 4gb stick so 8gb total.

How long will this laptop last me and still run well?

Gotta say, running ChromeOS on my X301 isnt that bad. I use my T420 with Fedora 26 as my DD, so I dont care much about the loss in 'functionality' on this one.

thx

Yes.

That sucks they don't come off.
I'm sorry user

>discord server
discord.gg/87PvZ7V

I love ChromeOS, luckily my job doesn't require anything intensive.

Probably another 5 years. :)
>pic related

If that discord server was directed toward me, the link doesn't work. I mainly use IRC anyway~

The real question if I bought it refurb from newegg, will it come with fingerprint reader or is that luck of the draw?

Pretty much all X/T/W series Thinkpads come with a fingerprint reader, it's not a special feature.

if you can get the serial number then you can find out

Why would you want one?

I don't see it in my order # or email.
Just to have it.

most cheaper models dont have them
if you buy a higher end option then they have a pretty good chance of coming with them
They're pretty useless, and really buggy.

Is it possible to replace the "sticker" for the trackpad on a T530? If it is, how do you search for it on eBay or AliExpress?

never had a buggy fingerprint reader

I would recommend removing the sticker and leaving it that way, the bumpy sticker is retarded and the smooth surface is miles better

yeah it comes right off

Okay /tpg/ here's the question. I'm looking for a laptop with a real i7 not an """i7""". What I mean is it must have 4 cores and 8 threads. Here's what I have my eyes on:
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6420-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-2720QM-2-20GHz-4GB-No-HDD-OS-Batt-/162533389853?hash=item25d7beb61d:g:ehMAAOSw8HBZLEoy

It's a Latitude E6420 with an i7-2720QM for 120 Ameri-shekels. Doesn't come with HDD, battery or AC adapter but I would have gotten a new battery and SSD anyway.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get this for the price? Is it a housefire? Will the screen suck worse than the one on my T420s? Please help, bros

Where do I get GNU/Linux stickers for maximum autism?

Hackerstickers or unixstickers

>Is there any reason I shouldn't get this for the price?

you got a link to the modded bios you used? and tell more about the affs mod

Okay. Fair enough. Is there any reason why a laptop such as this one in better shape wouldn't be a good buy? I'm sure there are plenty of them for under 150. I'm just concerned about the screen quality and the possibility of it throttling too much.

I like my T420 but the screen kills my eyes and I could use a couple of more cores.

I would look into something with an ivy bridge cpu and USB 3.0, if you wanted an upgrade.

Wasn't fast enough to reply before the thread was archived.
I think the x200 is a good option and I've been thinking about getting one myself. The core2duo processors are still decent for web browsing and watching youtube videos. If you get one of the later DDR3 models I think it's a good idea.
I really wish I could love something about this country, but no. Imposto é roubo, sonegação é legítima defesa.

Thanks man. Last question. This:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-E6430-Intel-Core-i7-3720QM-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-No-Battery-/142371810671?hash=item2126056d6f:g:Jb0AAOSwcgNZCqFn#viTabs_0

i7 3720QM Latitude with the 1600x900 screen. Price is about 180 out the door. Buy? If people think so I'm pulling the trigger.

>Latitude E6420
Huh.

I accidentally stole one of these a few years ago. Someone left it at a FedEx print shop. There's a sticker on it that said "property of xyz consulting" and a phone number. I called and left a voicemail, and tried to call again the next week. Even let the FedEx guys know I had it in case they came back. No response, and it had a BIOS password so I kinda just shelved it. I actually just went to go check it, and I come back and I see you're looking to buy the same exact model - interesting coincidence.

Is a BIOS password reset possible? I've got flashing hardware if that's required, I know that's how the ThinkPads are reset.

seems decent but then you need a battery +50$ and charger +$15 (don't know actual prices but should be around there)

ebay.com/itm/HP-Elitebook-8470W-Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-2-3Ghz-8GB-500G-Win-7-Pro-14-/112406377207?hash=item1a2bf132f7:g:VdUAAOSwjqVZF4Y1

this seems like a pretty good deal to me, looks really clean and it seems to have the extended battery

doesn't come with a CD drive but there is something in the drive bay, probably a hard drive caddy, which are cheap but nice to have to begin with IMO

Similar T430's seem to go for about $400

bios-pw.org to remove the password, takes out most of them.

Thing is that, it may have computrace in the worst case scenario and maybe you might get pinged at 'stealing' it.
E6420 mobos are cheap and plentiful, I think you can get one as low as $27, and $45 for an nVidia one. Just look at if you have an intel or discrete heatsink... the HSFs are not interchangable, Dell slightly moved the CPU on the iGPU and dGPU models.
>dude, its a Dell

Just took a close look at the pictures in that eBay listing. Haha. Seller claims it has a 1600x900 display but the pictures are of an e6420s not an e6420. The former only came with a 1366x768 screen. Lol. eBay.

I'll give that a shot.

Don't care if it gets pinged, it's not like I swiped it off someone's lap, I'll just tell them I found it and give it back. This was like 2-3 years ago, and they'd have to pay to keep computrace up on it (which, if it's a consulting company, is definitely possible I suppose via some bulk package).

Unless it's worth the $27 to resell it or give away later, I don't care enough to buy a motherboard, I have like 4 ThinkPads I use and 5 other absolute trash laptops sitting in a bin. I only just realized that the Dell one might have been one of the business meme ones with a trackpoint.

Does it have coreboot? At least the xx20 systems can plug in an IvyBridge.

I don't really follow Latitude/Elitebook mods and upgrades, but it looks like it doesn't support it. /;

Ugh that is a nightmare...
Wait, it should be an E6430s?
>mfw I thought I was buying E6220's and the seller shipped E6430s
The seller just wrapped some news papers around them too in the priority box, shit must of bounced, luckily we were located in the same state and they weren't damaged.

This was a sus as fuck purchase, but if it's legit I can swap the batteries and touchpad with new ones for ~$120.

The MPN this dude listed would make this deal insane if it's real - i7, 8GB RAM, FHD.

I applied for PayPal Credit to buy it so it's easier to dispute if it's bullshit.

>quad cores rape the battery!
Post worst /tpg/ memes
>x230 is better than 2570p
>8GB is better than 16GB
>gaming is for kids
>replacing cumstained keyboard is a waste of money, just clean it up with your tongue
>chink batteries are best
>coreboot
>installing linux outside of servers
Absolutely disgusting.

also friendly reminder:
If you buy x220 or x230 you support holocaust and you're a faggot

>bragging about getting subpar battery performance

Go home hertzlet.

>thinking maybe i should buy a new laptop
>base model dell xps is $800 for the exact same specs as my ancient x200 (4GB, 128gb ssd, dual core i3)

nope, I'm gonna max out my ram instead
x200 can take up to 8GB ram, right?
Also, is there any difference between corsair vengeance ram and value ram other than the color?
Because they're the same price and I'm leaning toward the gamer ram.

i'm considering buying a t420 off of craigslist because i need a new laptop for school in the fall.
first, is this even a good choice (only one in my area though i could drive a bit further) and second when i go to buy what kind of inspection do i have to do to make sure i'm not getting fucked? the ad says the guy got em from his work so i'm feel i should be careful but i've never bought used before.

>is this even a good choice

only if you're too poor for the t430.

no ones selling any nearby, how overpriced do the listings on ebay tend to be?

>comparing 14,1" and 15,6" laptops to 12,5" subnotebooks
why stop at comparing to 2570p? Compare your overheating piece of shit to dual core 7" tablets!
This will show how superior your shitpad is. Lmao

Not him but your image is fucking retarded.

t. hertzlet

>x200 can take up to 8GB ram, right?
Yes.
>Also, is there any difference between corsair vengeance ram and value ram other than the color?
No.

>R61i for $40
>Seller says that the one and only failure of the thing is that it doesn't turn on, and that she's unsure if it's the AC adapter or not
Should I risk it? What's the next to worst case scenario (because worst case is it doesn't legit turn on and it's a brick)?

is a maxed out w530 enough to mine cryptocurrencies?

b8

Does anyone have a Thinkpad Helix?

Wrong
Smells slightly different.

Yes.
It runs hot and the dead dock battery killed the dock keyboard lol

I guess my thinkpad has a giant flashlight at the top of the screen. How do I turn it on?

Well, I've been looking for someone who owns one because I need to know what drivers I'm missing.
Can you please go into Device Manager and look under Human Interface Devices, then take a pic of the list like so?

fn+pgup
fn+space if it's a --30

look for the one that has the question mark next to it
taking a screenshot only showing everything that has a driver is pretty useless
and it's probably an sd card reader or intel ME
>overclocking a laptop that already has throttling issues
no thanks, my t430 struggles as it is

i asked for thinkpad recommendations in a previous thread and people ended up suggesting either the t420 or t430

can someone explain how i would decide between the two? thanks

Budget/performance needs
Don't need the extra performance? Get the t420 it's overall a nicer laptop
Want the extra performance? Get the t430. It costs more, the keyboard isn't as nice, but you get FAR faster 3d performance, and a decent amount faster cpu.

if im just looking for a laptop that will handle browsing with quite a lot of tabs should the t420 be alright? thanks

>taking a screenshot only showing everything that has a driver is pretty useless
It's to compare to a screenshot of the driver list of a fully working Helix.
Unfortunately, despite my timely response, the one person I see with a Helix in a long search just doesn't respond.

I just googled and modified the latest bios manually, but from what I remember I found a bunch just by googling "x201 modded bios".

The AFFS mod is is just an x200 LCD converter and cable attached to an AFFS display. The x201 and x200's parts can be swapped pretty easily, besides maybe the motherboard? Uncertain on that.

Easily
Just make sure you either get one with 8 gigs of ram, or save up a bit to get 8.
Just make sure to get a 1600x900 screen

that's great, cheers
whats the reason for the screen?

Do you guys have experience with aftermarket batteries?
Are Green Cell batteries reliable? Reviews are good, but are they comparable to original batteries?

1366x768 sucks on a 14" screen, especially with shitty viewing angles
the 1600x900 screen isn't any better for viewing angles, but it just makes it slightly less bad

sweet, thanks again

But t420 is upgradable to ivy bridge(i7 3840qm)...

They're fine. OS actually reports it's 104%
of rated capacity (51Wh, rated 49Wh). Genuine lenovo was 57Wh iirc.
Greencell lasts pretty much as long as lenovo did.
Not sure how it will compare lifespan wise, but so far so good.

Through a complicated bios hack that very little people will actually do

Perfect, thanks.
It seems they also have "Pro" versions of their batteries for selected laptops. They're the same as the normal batteries in size, but have top of the line Samsung cells, which gives them at least 20% capacity than the originals, for $10 more or so.

oh yeah, one more thing
it should be noted that I had a hard time fitting it in my T530.
Hopefully you can see the grind marks the battery on the right side. I had to cut a tiny bit of plastic to make it fit well. It wasn't particularly complicated. On the left is a genuine battery for comparison.
It could be different on your model, but if you have a hard time fitting the battery, you'll know what to do.

TFW bought a refurb one with 2 day shipping on Saturday and it just changed delivery to Friday.

Th-thanks fedex.

post wallpaper please

just got a brand new 44++, this shit is liberating. My 6 cell was on about 2% capacity.

My 2560p just arrived. I can see what people say when they say that the screen is garbage, but, honestly, I don't mind it too much. I've never owned an IPS monitor or laptop so it's usable to me. The only things I dislike is the lack of a third button for use with the pointing stick, and the fact that I have to hold the Fn key for Page Up/Down. It's also a little loud. Came with a valid Windows 10 Pro license which will make selling it in the future a lot easier.

Looks like I did okay with the battery, too! And even though it's only 250 GB, the HDD seems good. Fairly new, WD Black, 7200 RPM.

Forgot a picture, as pointless as it is.

maybe, just maybe, this question belong to sqt but im asking it here anyways, i have an old thinkpad t41, just installed devuan on it, but wifi isnt working, any idea how to fix it? Thanks.

A-Also, one last post... Could somebody recommend an OS to use other than Windows 10?

install gentoo

or Windows 8.1 with start is back, it's pretty comfy. Or just go back to 7.
If you're looking for a Linux just go to distrowatch.com and try a couple of distros from the top of the list on the right. Anything goes. Other than the package manager and sometimes a custom DE they're all the same.

Most likely it uses a non-free firmware so it wasn't included with devuan. You need to identify what card is it and install the firmware for it.

Why do idiots bid 6 days away?

I'd like to use Linux! Which ones are your favourites for babbies?

marking their territory

sometimes i like to raise the price on things out of pure spite

To fuck with people.
I especially like to bid early on every link retards post here. Enough to hurt the final price, but not enough for them to back down.

Budget: 500

Size: 15 or under

Performance: mid-high will be using for a computer science course

Other requirements: none

I've been lurking on these threads for a while but I'm still not sure what would be best for me.

>for babbies
probably something Ubuntu-based. Plain Ubuntu is usually frowned upon around here, and I think its stock desktop environment would use too much of screen real estate on a 12'' laptop.

I'd go with Mint. It looks similar to windows and works well on a tiny display. It's also rice-friendly if you'd want to go there.
And since it's Ubuntu based you can use Ubuntu PPAs, and if you have a problem with it you can ask on ubuntu forums.

>15 or under
Hello mr. pedobear.

>Budget: 500
quad-core T530/W530.
The autists here will say that the keyboard sucks, but it's only because they're used to old layout. It's pretty nice to type on, especially for a chiclet.
You could also go for newer models like T540 or T550, but it's not a REAL thinkpad and they're not much faster anyways.

What's a decent eGPU for my T430 that won't get choked by the ExpressCard and i5 dual core? gtx560ti? 750? I guess newer are out of the question.

750ti or 950

>I guess newer are out of the question.
not really
it depends on what you're going to play, but I think even RX 460 or GTX 1050 wouldn't be significantly choked.

Thanks I'll take a look at them

>rx460
>egpu
good luck. AyyMD GPUs don't have nvidia optimus, which is literally the only reason why eGPUs work fine with very limited bandwidth.

I think the best GPU that isn't chocked is the 960 or 1050 (or they get a bit chocked, but not much).
I have a 960 myself and it works wonders.

But you can forget heavy cpu bound games. Total War games, for examçple, are so cpu heavy for calculating the movement of every single unit that between medium and ultra graphics settings, the performance is literally the same.

I also thought about getting quad core i7 later but I'm not sure T430 allows that upgrade.

It does.

Damn. How come people say "memepads" are dying or whatever?

The only thing that dies on memepads are the batteries with age and nvidia GPUs.

went to bed

download HWinfo64
you could probably pinpoint the missing driver easier

forgot photo...