Is Electron the worst thing behind nodejs to happen to the tech industry?

Is Electron the worst thing behind nodejs to happen to the tech industry?

electron.atom.io/

>Desktop applications built using javascript
>usually 60+mb big for trivial things like chat applications
>Slow
>Non-native interfaces

Other urls found in this thread:

jayesh.me/2017/01/31/why-electron-is-best-platform-for-dev.html
fluent.microsoft.com/
electron.atom.io/apps/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_language
download.kde.org/stable/amarok/2.8.0/win32/amarok-x86-setup-2.8.0.exe
download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source-to-source_compiler
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. Encourages bloat and useless crap to compensate for "programmer's" inability to write actual applications using native frameworks.

I've been trying out atom lately.

it sucks.

Lmao @ NEETs with hundreds of gigs of storage complaining about speed and size.
If only Electron apps were faster so you could spend 10 seconds a week more on ricing.

They've managed to create the text editor for kode normies.

You must be underage.

The other day at work I had to compile a perfectly fine c++ cli program with emscripten so that it could run on node.js for my autistic coworker.

You must have autism

javascript """programmer""" detected

did you kill yourself?

>ad hominem
fucking, game set and match, argument won!

Yeah, I'd be into this whole HTML and CSS and scripting thing to write cross-platform apps. Except VS Code and Discord and other apps end up gutting it. And HTML should be S-expressions. And JavaScript should die, maybe use Lua instead.

This whole thing is very ill-advised.

I wish I had, but now I get to live with what I've done.

is atom the only application using electron?

if there's one place where I don't like chrome, it's everywhere

Failure who takes pride in programming languages detected.
Your e-peen must be massive.

VS Code
Slack
Discord

I bet he has a github full of forked npm modules, 5 lines long and is a coding ninja who turns coffee into code.

You must be underage.

I'm not a NEET. I'm on the pretty old hardware, I use i3 and I don't like wasting cpu cycles on bells and whistles. I don't keep these applications opened because they eat lots of CPU, I open them only when I need to talk to someone.

In response to an ad hominem.

notice a pattern here?
>they're all fucking trash

fucking kekmate

You must be on the spectrum.
If you're not a NEET, buy newer hardware. It's easier than expecting devs to make software for hardware no one uses anymore.

100MB for a glorified text+voice chat "client"? A embedded browser to run a text editor? Yeah, literally shit. If I bothered to use Slack/Discord I'd just use the web app.

I think it would be fine if electron was a system library which shared the engine with the browser
But it's shit how it is now... If the engine was preloaded it could even be an advantage when starting up applications because they would probably come up instant

Spotify too I think. Ive ran Into a bunch more. While its okay for Linux because of software compatibility, like Skype finally being upgraded I hate it. Discord actually makes my fans turn on sometimes, ludicrous.

What for? For using the Electron crap? No thanks. I'm buying hardware for more appropriate reasons, for example for learning CUDA. I'd better stick with the applications written for the native frameworks.

I'm using 2 electron applications daily and they work great. also I'm making my video gay man in electron.

>to compensate for "programmer's" inability to write actual applications using native frameworks.
okay

>1995~2012
>programmers have to take GUI programming classes
>2012+
>all GUI classes are removed in favor of web development classes

programmers prefer to have programmable tools instead of GUIs because they are faster
normal fags prefer to have browser based applications because they will get raped by viruses if they download anything

do you really expect programmers to learn two different UI making languages so that you can feel better about saving a few megabytes at the cost of millions of wasted hours required to learn several languages?

His email signature says code artisan, just in case you might have thought that he knew what he was doing.

>also I'm making my video gay man in electron.
oh fuck

I'm sorry you have to work with him.

QT

If you don't want to spend a few hours learning how to properly program, you shouldn't be a fucking programmer at all.

ECMAScript is actually pretty slick for what it was intended for, oop for web. The shit is way out of line trying to make native programs though. I understand why companies do it, but it's still retarded. I mean, if you actually understand programming, how hard could it be to learn c# or java or c++ from javascript? Assuming you're not using the latest meme framework, layered on top of the last 5 meme libs. Like someone who thinks they're fluent in a language because they can have their smartphone translate for them.

about as bloated as electron

Do you know QT?

Show me what you made.

If the job market shifts away from the web you will get your light GUI apps back. Don't worry so much.

jayesh.me/2017/01/31/why-electron-is-best-platform-for-dev.html

>jayesh

I may be a total weirdo, but I really like making GUI's. Not so much web ones, but I like making native GUI's. I get really carried away with the small touches. Maybe it's because I've used so many programs with interfaces ranging from god tier to handle-your-own-exceptions tier. I know lots of people look down on GUI dev, but I think it's fun, and in just about every GUI that exists, there are small irregularities, if not bugs, that I notice that bug the shit out of me.

Do you know QT?

Yes, I wrote a Desktop app in C++. I also have been using GTK Python binding for small utilities.

These frameworks are not hard to use. The Idea of Electron is to write it for a browser engine in a pajeet language without pointers and compilations and will run on any platform without writing Makefiles and configuring build systems, addressing cross-platform issues, etc.

lol stop bitching about people using it then.

>there are small irregularities, if not bugs, that I notice that bug the shit out of me.
You'll love windows 10

but ram is cheap.
There's nothing wrong with a chat client starting from 1GB memory usage.

I was talking solely about me. I don't give a shit whether you eat shit.

I am not a programmer. I'm an end user, I am absolutely fucking angry at "programmers" that can't program for shit, using the hottest frameworks or JS or whatever the fuck it is, causing my web browser to lag like hell because Pajeet or Stacey don't want to properly implement their code to run smoothly on ALL hardware. Let alone simple "apps" like Snapchat that are over 100 mb.

>nothing wrong with a chat client starting from 1GB memory usage.
I hope you're trollin' mate

....yeah.. I want to like it, but the inconsistency is mind boggling for a company like ms. Personally, I find the new settings windows style to be ugly, but it would be tolerable if it were unified at least.

Microsoft stopped having good UI design after Windows 7. You can't argue with that.

Fluent Design will be in the next update in the autumn.

yeah for some reason i thought atom was all the rage and ditched sublime for it. When i started seeing the thread about how slow it was, i did the comparison myself.

sublime boots in no time at all and atom always takes much longer. undeniable that electron is shite

So they'll add yet another design language on top of everything else? Please don't tell me they'll actually apply it across the entire OS...

forgive my ignorance, but is this design language like a low level native windows gui framework? Like something that will get baked into .NET? Or is it more of a language that windows devs will directly use to create GUI's separate from the program?

fluent.microsoft.com/

It's design guidlines to make UI glamorous.

can you fit more buzzwords into a video?

As far as I know, they're rewriting their apps to make Windows consistent according to these guidelines. The next update will contain some new shite.

hmm weird. The nu-web shit they posted isn't very informative. Seems more like guidelines like you said, but I saw some places calling it a design 'language'. So.. guidelines and a newer set of GUI controls that are w10 style and have better scaling support? sounds like..overhyped inevitable updates to their VS ecosystem?

Honestly I don't know, I don't use Windows, I keep it in a small partition in order to be able to update firmware for a laptop. I'm just curious, I want to see how it will look after the next major update.

yeah for sure. I'm curious now too.

If they actually make it as consistent as 7/2008R2 I'll upgrade to 2016 right away.

100 bucks says the update will break their own apps worse than non-ms windows ones ;)

>problem: there are 7 different UI designs across Windows
>"this is ludicrous! We need to have a single combined solution. Fluent Design it is!"
>problem: there are 8 different UI designs across Windows

LMAO

There is full list here - electron.atom.io/apps/

>literally running a full copy of chrome just so you can see that beautiful ui that pajeet made for you

> w-we swear, the eighth one is the charm!
> what? what last time?
> oh, but this will fix all of that, right?
fuckin amateurs. I bet they do consider themselves fluent in ui design, considering they made 12 different ui designs for 1 ui.

>a list of apps to avoid

Sadly, it's not full one - it lacking some proprietary variations like official spotify client and such. But it's a start, yeah.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_language

ahh i see. I thought maybe it was an actual language. The more you know I guess.
So.. they're basically saying, guys, we're going to do our jobs as designers this time?

Spotify
Skypeforlinux
Wunderlist

>oop for web
are you fucking high
almost all OOP in Javascript is a cobbled together pile of shit and Typescript is the first thing we've had that comes close to doing it right.

A Qt widget application is less than 10 mb. Unless you go full retard and use QtWebEngine or similar, that's fataly wrong. Also, even if it were, at least it doesn't look and feel like shit.
He doesn't. He chose the worst tool for the job.

Deezloader looks sleek tho

deez nuts b*tch

I'll just leave this here...

wtf, is this a joke?

Ok, I just checked, this is a joke...

VSC is pretty good to be fair

>code artisan
is that really a thing? what could it possibly imply?

This. Computer science koders at my uni all seem to use it. Anyone with an inch of sense has even progressed past sublime to Vim.

Lua is leaps and bounds more shit when writing large applications in it. When it's used for small scripts inside a larger program, sure. But even then, if HTML is just S-expressions, use Lisp and be done with it.

Why do you hate the free market, user?

not far off from the real thing

how is this possible

>>usually 60+mb big for trivial things like chat applications
that's an improvement to skype, which happily uses multiple gigabytes

Spotify actually uses Chromium Embedded Framework. Almost same idea though.

download.kde.org/stable/amarok/2.8.0/win32/amarok-x86-setup-2.8.0.exe
>74mb
download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe
>57mb

also
>even if it were, at least it doesn't look and feel like shit.
top fucking kek

What's wrong with node.js?

Seriously. I just started using it and it's pretty neat for small server-side applications.

>inb4: javascript le bad
OK, besides JavaScript being JavaScript.

Electron is bloated as it is

Add in the hip new coders that have zero idea of what they are doing. Imagine lots of bloated, wasteful, useless applications written by code monkeys which get paid like shit.

>Amarok
>Plays all sorts of different audio files, has plugins for multiple web-radio stations/sources, lyrics display, tagging, metadata lookup, etc.

>Spotify
>Plays local songs in a couple formats, streams from one source only. No tagging, metadata lookup etc.
>Tiny difference in size, huge difference in functionality

I don't think you're proving what you think you're proving, user.

>memory hogs
>lags the whole system
They are cancer, I avoid them just like the devil avoids the cross.

This

I can't see a single reason to use vim over sublime. I used to code everything in vim until I switched to sublime recently, and I can't see myself going back.

Way better than spotify and that's only an old Qt4 theme.

it disgusts me that a person can unironically have this shit of a taste

>b-but muh feggit web UI
likewise

at least with nodejs you can use a transpiler

electron is just trash

what?

it's desktop ui actually

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source-to-source_compiler
that's how trash javascript is, people keep figuring out new ways to not have to write it

no, I want to know what was supposed to mean