/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

emailselfdefense.fsf.org
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GnuPG
theconversation.com/how-gaming-in-the-classroom-prepares-children-for-life-in-a-surveillance-state-77287
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/
packages.debian.org/fr/jessie/cinnamon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)
archlinux.org/packages/?name=cinnamon
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quine_(computing)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Xst for me.

first for nixOS

emailselfdefense.fsf.org
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GnuPG

That graphic makes it seem that gpg is only useful for emails, but it's much more powerful tbqh.

>he doesn't use appimage

kiss your sister

testing if connection error

Wanted to compile some LaTeX documents I wrote at home, on my work PC. However, the LaTeX distro that comes with Ubuntu seems to be missing some packages I need (for example, the ngerman babel package).
It's been ages since I set up texlive on my personal computer so I'm fuzzy on the details. I checked out the 2017 release from the subversion repo linked on latex-project.org but there's no executable config script and makefiles and shit, just some lua scripts. So do I also have to install fucking lua now and then run those or what?

Folk wisdom has it that "connection error" is a cloudflare filter against SQL injection. Filters some pretty arbitrary shit if you ask me.

In my case it was the output of ls -l from the checked out svn repo.
... and I just got a Connection error just trying to put that in code tags. REEEEE

Addendum: It's ls -l itself that it doesn't like. I literally had to put empty code tags between the - and the l so it would let me post that.

idk what the fuck is going on with these errors
try postin the command "p s a u x" - results in connection error. literally how is this in any way malicious?

the end is near

>“Gamification” in schools teaches children that they should expect their every move to be watched, rated and possibly shared publicly. It makes a lack of privacy appear normal and prepares young people to accept mass surveillance in their adult lives.
theconversation.com/how-gaming-in-the-classroom-prepares-children-for-life-in-a-surveillance-state-77287

>I literally had to put empty code tags between the - and the l so it would let me post that.
Nice hack. I usually use \u00c

-l

-l on its own seems to work, just not if it's preceded by ls

Wow, that's a bit overzealous.
ls -a
ls . -l

Installed debian. Any DE recommendations?

XFCE

if i cant find a device driver for debian based systems and its stopping me connect to the internet what should i do? i wish there was a debian that shipped with all the drivers but only installed the needed ones

cinnamon. Although if you did net install set up your own DE, start with a WM, either i3 awesome or gnomeshell

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/

as much as I like cinnamon, this shit is too buggy. That's sad considering it's an awesome DE when you look at the customization, features, etc. And it's not much bloated compared to gnome or kde.

buggy? i dont think ive ever had a bug with it on debian cinnamon edition. When i was switching around WMs and they crashed cinnamon always worked

Debian got fucking old packages, maybe I had bugs that were introduced on more recent versions. I had an annoying bug that broke the DE after watching a video in full screen mode. Had to press alt+F2 and type -r to reset the DE, luckily it didn't closed my programs so it wasn't that annoying.
More than that, some extensions / plugins didn't worked flawlessly.
Nowadays I just use xfce that just do the job and have enough customization options for me.

never had that, but whatever is fine. im a bit annoyed by xfce because they keep on adding features to it that are uneeded. lxde or whatever its called remains true to itself it that it uses low system resources. plus it can use openbox themes iirc

>le debian old packages meme
>le bloated meme
Sup Forums never change

>Sup Forums never change

>packages.debian.org/fr/jessie/cinnamon
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(software)
>cinnamon (2.2.16-5)
>2014-05-31

>archlinux.org/packages/?name=cinnamon
>3.2.8-1
>2016-11-07

Use what you want I don't really care, but that's a reality. In 2 years cinnamon evolved.

youre a prime example of what hes talking about, even though he speaks like its 2007

I see, you never came out of your Arch sandbox and discovered other distros.

Dumb frogposter.

>jessie
Debian isn't Jessie only. It has three different versions for different purposes. Sid for example is just as up to date. For people who want to stick to Jessie, there are backports.

tl;dr nice meme

>posting anime
>on Sup Forums - technology

anime website

fuck off maki poster, you have 17 boards dedicated to anime.

Today I tried to test wayland on fedora. In etc/gdm/custom.conf I commented WaylandEnable=false, rebooted, realised that nothing was fixed, uncommented that line again and rebooted again. The boot stuck on logo. I killed X(?) And it turns out that system boots up components very slow, starting from NFS peers
What happened and what to do?

how do cli people use the internet? like hwo do they even use programs and stuff?|

There are text-only browsers, though with all the flash and animation cancer that's floating around nowadays it's hard to get by.

Best ((Stable)) Linux distribution for a total noob?

Going to install one on a Chinese spyware, malware, bitcoin mining laptop for my mom to use. She's coming from OSX but only needs her laptop for browsing the webs and watching videos.

I'll need an update manager that lets me update my applications without any sudo magic like Mint.

Needs to run well on a Intel Celeron.

>bitcoin mining laptop
kys youreself

I mean buying a chinese laptop will come with spyware and malware and botnet and bitcoin miners preinstalled.
I'm going to install GNU/Linux over it so I won't get hacked.

>coming from osx
as if it really makes a difference. Give your mommy debian with cinnamon and install the osx theme for gbp

cracked*

I am trying to write a Live USB of the latest KDE Manjaro on winblows.
Win32DiskImager just corrupts my pendrives.
I have tried Rufus with the settings listed in the Manjaro Wiki, it just says error:unknown filesystem when I try to boot it.
Universal USB installer says it can't find a config file and that Manjaro isn't supported even though I selected it in the drop-down menu.
I've tried multiple flash drives, verified that the ISO isn't corrupt, I don't know what else could be wrong. I have an UEFI motherboard if that helps in any way. Please help

use something thats not manjaro, try it

I'm trying to write Ubuntu right now, will report back with how it goes.

Are there any detailed books about iptables because all the guides online only cover the basics.

How can I make gnome-terminal window take the name of the entered command?

a better terminal is a great start!

Ubuntu and Fedora doesn't work either, and I have tested those succesfully in the past. My drives may be dying.

Sup Sup Forums. I have a question for you guys. So I have a laptop with dual boot windows 10 and elementary OS. My elementary version is still freya though, and I am updating to Loki. I already have a bootable usb with Loki. Now my question is: can I just write it over my existing linux partition and old swap? I don't care about losing all my Linux data. I just wanna know if something like this fucks up GRUB or something. Will this work? Will grub update itself somehow?
Sorry, am a Linux noob, but I'm trying my best...

Whats the music bee equivalent for linux-kernal operating systems? gnome-music was dodgy with reading my music folder and lollypop is bloated as hell

I'm always greeted by a large error message. A wall of text concluding with

KERNEL PANIC
KERNEL OFFSET

What can I do? D;
I'm somewhat of a newbie at Linux.

It's like clock-work - on every second startup, and I have to hard-reboot my computer every time.

I'm using kubuntu.

How do I keep my settings and configuration files when upgrading fixed release distros? Won't upgrading them by installing new version format the root?

docker seems neat but is there any actual reason to install it for hobbyists

Your personal settings are stored in your home directory. This is one reason why it is often recommended to keep /home on a separate partition - that way you can format / without affecting /home.

If you put everything in one partition, your choices are basically making a backup and formatting, or (making a backup anyway because it's good practice and) reinstalling without formatting. Your installer will usually allow that, but you'll have to manually delete the old system's files to avoid conflicts. This approach isn't what I'd recommend a newbie, but some people prefer it.

System-wide configuration lives under /etc. It is rare to mount /etc separately, but it is easy to manually back up the whole directory or the files you've made important changes to. But I think you were talking about your personal settings.

So, in short, just back up. Remember that permissions and ownership are important, so don't just copy files over to an exfat/fat/ntfs volume. Make a tar archive instead. And consider putting /home on a separate partition next time.

not him but i dont keep anything in my home partition, so only preferences i think. i have all my other stuff on other hard drives, how would i move home to one of them? i think my themes and icons are in /etc/, is there no way to not lose them (beside installing afterwards) as well as programmes? funny how windows can update from xp through 10 just fine but gnu/linux you need to start anew

printf '\033]0;%b\007' "$PWD"

hello red dit

GNU/Linux*

the current cmd is stored in the echo $BASH_COMMAND variable, if it matters

Hi /r/eddit, hows it going

$ echo $BASH_COMMAND
echo $BASH_COMMAND

Well, what did I expect.

>how would i move home to one of them?
1. Make sure the target volume is formatted in a god-fearing filesystem. Don't try to mount /home on a permission-less filesystem.
2. Edit /etc/fstab and tell it to mount that volume at /home. Familiarise yourself with fstab. I recommend using UUID rather than device path, especially in a system that has several internal storage devices.
3. Copy the contents of your your existing /home directory over to the target volume.
4. Reboot. I mean, you could do it on the fly, but just reboot.

>i think my themes and icons are in /etc/, is there no way to not lose them
The two ways I explained in my previous post. But don't. If those themes were installed through your package manager, don't copy them. It's a bad idea to manually create files that are part of packages that, as far as your package manager knows, aren't installed.

>funny how windows can update from xp through 10 just fine but gnu/linux you need to start anew
Where did you hear that? No, don't tell me. Dank memes are jolly good fun, but you shouldn't believe all of them.

we're onto something big
>echo $BASH_COMMAND | bash

echo $BASH_COMMAND | bash -c 'echo $BASH_COMMAND | bash'

BASH_COMMAND="$BASH_COMMAND"

Try creating a true bash quine. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quine_(computing)

Not sure if cheating:
HISTTIMEFORMAT= history|tail -n1|cut -c8-

sure. local development that is easy to push up to a remote host and not have to worry about peripheral changes.

permissionless file system? i was thinking of moving it to a ext4 drive

Which hardware do you have?

Does anyone know the difference between 'skype' and 'skypeforlinux' in the AUR?

One is the new beta verison one is the the old client.

skype is the old binary blob
skypeforlinux is the new alpha client.Its basically a wrapper for the web site

I thought so. I'm using skypeforlinux at the moment and it handles quoting poorly among other stuff, is the old skype client better (as in more like the Windows version)?

>when you send normal email, the people you talk to are being exposed as well
No change for that with encrypted mails.

>It's in an online directory, where people can look it up and download it.
People rather ask you to send them your key. And anyone can just upload keys to a server, so there are valid security concerns.

>To the real recipient, it jus opens up like a normal email. Easy!
Only if they actually can use computers, which is a pretty small group of people.

And like already said, it's not just for emails.
Sorry, but can't recommend this info-graphic

This is getting weirder and weirder
>rtorrent+tmux on an rpi 2B
>uploading from a usb drive to some private trackers
>check occasionally, see that it's down
>log onto pi over ssh, check uptime, hasn't gone down
>do nothing else on it, go back to check
>they're uploading again
this doesn't make sense
I wish rtorrent logs weren't such a fucking bitch to set up
>

transient network issues + udp malarky? I used rtorrent for a bit and switched to aria2, try it out if you're looking for options

How can I start Debian in command line mode? I don't need the desktop environment most of the time because I'm using this machine as a server.

uninstall everything you don't need

why not use net install? im pretty sure you need to edit the list of what launches on boot / user login. with net install you can install a wm and only launch it when need be

So I've been running Arch for about 7 years now and I'm thinking about installing Debian on a spare laptop (Lenovo x201) that I have laying around. What's the difference between Testing and Unstable? Which would be better to use as a general purpose OS on a laptop?

>I've been running Arch for about 7 years now
Wow.

man that itunes is ancient.

It's worked just fine on the 3 laptops and 2 desktops I've had it on, minus some GPU driver fuckery at times when using ATI or Nvidia GPUs.

testing has frozen packages that work on unstable, so it has less breakage but also bad security, I'd recommend sticking to unstable (sid)

9 year vet right here.

Alright, what's the recommend method of installing Debian Sid via netinstall? Do I just download the image for stable and then change some repositories or something during install?

Packages work on unstable? -> Move to testing, do they really really work? -> Move to stable.

>Do I just download the image for stable and then change some repositories or something during install?
Yep.

Just use arch and dont deal with debian fuckery

>Packages work on unstable? -> Move to testing, do they really really work? -> Move to stable.
That's not how it works

I'm still considering doing just that so I don't have to learn all the idiosyncrasies of another Linux distro... Maybe I'll wait and put Debian on home server when I finally get around to setting one up.

It looks like there's a fucked attempt at a daemon for it involved. I'll wait and see now that it's disabled.

what is a good audio player to just play my mpd stream with

sonata

try writing your own .service file for it, they're pretty straight forward.

As somebody who uses Arch day to day for work for over a decade I love these fucking comics.