/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050/Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@90-144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>Go mATX form factor for cheaper board+case
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/fWwgcc
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
pcpartpicker.com/user/Halfness/saved/FhdRBm
pcpartpicker.com/list/PYWfgL
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7nG3C/cooler-master-cm-590-iii-black-atx-mid-tower-case-rc-593-kwn2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1400/3921vs3922
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

okay I have started building my PC but noticed that I do not see anything that can read CDs. I thought one is included with the case or the motherboard. how fucked am I? because I need one to install windows, right

What's the current best AIO?

You can install windows from a usb stick

Rate plz
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/fWwgcc

It's for gaming, browsing and torrenting, watching tv and movies, plus programs like Unity and Blender.

Don't Ryzens need faster RAM?

Hey guys, I'm building a PC for the first time, and I just wanna make sure that this build is fine. Any recommendations on what I can swap out to make it cheaper and keep the same performance?

don't get a founders edition especially in hell on earth australia.

that all in one heatsink is garbage tier, take that money and put it on a good air heatsink, for like $5 more you can get 3200mhz ram, 850 evo is a waste of money go for any other brand. 700w is overkill, 650w is the max i'd recommend.

Recommendations? I'm still 2 or 3 months away from building.

God damn it, I overhauled this build coz everyone was telling me to cut costs elsewhere to put that in there.

The 1080 ti itsself is amazingly good, but founders edition refers to the way it's cooled. Get a different cooling configuration like an ASUS Strix, Aorus, EVGA SC3/FTW3, etc.

well windows came in a CD

but I will get to it later. if necessary I can buy one in a store or take the CD reader from my old pc

>EVGA FTW
They had fire problems. And the VRM thermal pads are still? optional extras.

You literally unironically bought retail Windows?

Man, you wasted over 70 dollars, for absolutely no reason.

You can make an USB installer with a tool from microsoft

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Fair enough, but I chose that one for the price. IS the difference in cooling worth a couple/few hundred more dingo dollars?

What would you recommend for the heatsink?

It's not hundreds it's like $50 max what the fuck.

And yes, it is. Blower cards are loud as fuck, hot as fuck, and just shitty as fuck, even if they look coolest.

Noctua _____, whatever you can afford at that price.

yeah I am not poor and I dont want to pirate it or use weird OS

kay thanks I will look into it once everything else is ready

In Aus I can get that blower for just over a grand but all the others you mentioned are like 1,300 down here.

Thanks. Does this look better?

Keys online are $25, "not being poor" isn't an excuse to piss money away for no reason

EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card is only $60 or $80 more.

That is a good heatsink, just be aware its huge.

You cropped out all the prices and are doing images instead of just linking the list but if the Z270-A from ASUS is cheaper, consider that. I'd look at the mx300 or the _400 series from Kingston for the SSD if the prices are comparable. (avoid v300 like the plague from Kingston)

I'm wondering if there are going to be new offers during summer or if I should just go for it and buy the rest of my parts for my PC. Missing

>PSU
>CPU (R 1600)
>case
>mobo

I don't have amazon prime so prime Monday is out if question.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Halfness/saved/FhdRBm

I think everything's fine on this list. The case fits the CPU cooler fine.

Get a Be Quiet, like dark rock 3.

Anyway, why 7700K?

Everyone just recommended it to me and I have money to blow.

Do you need Wi-fi+Blue tooth integration? Otherwise, the E is a waste of money over the A.

Also, as it turns out that SSD is bad so I switched it for one that's $10 more

pcpartpicker.com/list/PYWfgL

This is what it looks like as Z270-A, just switch the mobo back if you want.

Purely gamin is fine. but you want a system that'll last, grab an 1600X and learn to overclock.
I'm guessing you were planning on running the 7700K at stock, even tho it's an unlocked chip you par more for.

so i went all out and got an evga supernova g2 750w just for the peace of mind.
Everything else that was available here had bad reviews and everyone here saying "don't cheap out on a psu"

is there any disadvantage on a psu that is obviously more than i needed apart from electricity bills?

he should get 1600, not 1600X, there's no point in getting 1600X over 1600 if you're gonna overclock anyway.

But if*
pay more for*

Not true, as a small number of non x chips aren't capable of overclocking to match it. It's insurance, plus he may want a better heatsink regardless.

They're binned better, giving greater chance at winning the silicon lotto.
He's got extra cash he want to burn, not really a bad place to skimp.

Alright, you're starting to win me over on the open air cooling. Do you think this case I've chosen is ventilated enough though?
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/N7nG3C/cooler-master-cm-590-iii-black-atx-mid-tower-case-rc-593-kwn2

It looks like you're skimping on the case a bit too much, I'd double your case budget considering how little you're spending. Not my area of expertise, but a case that cheap is usually so for a reason.

I was probably just planning on running it at stock, yeah. I could probably pick up a bit on overclocking, but do you think it's worth the $100 difference?

Will Zen 3 still be on AM4? I'm a poorfag who wants to build an entry level workstation/gaymen PC and I want to get at least the 1600 but preferably the 1700, but I'm thinking about saving some dosh and just get the 1400 first since I'm using a a ThinkPad X230 as my main PC so pretty much any quad core desktop CPU will be better than the one I have right now.

Then I can just sell the 1400 and get an 8 core when Zen 2 comes out, but if Zen 3 is the same platform then I might as well wait for that.

You're not just paying for it to be unlocked, it comes with significantly higher clock speeds than the 7700.

Update on my monitor problem, I have a "No Signal" error when I try to boot up my newly built PC. I've tested
>HDMI cable works on my current system
>tried both hdmi ports on my new system (the one on the gpu and the one on the motherboard)
>removing the gpu and only using the motherboard
>reseating ram as well as moving it's position
>holding the power button for a minute when everything is off
>checking all the fans to make sure they were working
Next up I'm trying to get a VGA and DVI cable to see if I can get display with that. might buy a dvi to vga adaptor too.

I think that's the plan, but watch it require a new chipset anyways. I doubt anyone would want to buy a used 1400 desu

Meh, I'm fine with just getting $50-75 for it so I can make some money back

Aussi bucks?
Should be closer than that USD. Unless you take into account adding a cooler. That a 1600X does not come with.
1600 is fine for overclocking with the stock cooler it comes with. Many people buying other chips would happily pay for them.

The 1600X doesn't increase your chances of reaching extra high clocs so much to justify the cost. Unless you can find it for no more than $30-$50 Australian depending on personal wealth.

anyone?

No, and there isn't even an impact on your electricity bills, you're not understanding how a PSU works at the most fundamental level. It only uses the power that your components use. a 750w may have a lot overhead, but depending on the efficiency curve of the unit it could actually be using less power than one that has less overhead.

Lekky bills won't be that different with a large PSU. Only a concern for server farms.
No obvious disadvantage than paying more for the headroom you won't use.

>overhead
I meant headroom

>It only uses the power that your components use
Not quite true. Components are on standby. Ready to deliver power. But not a concern, just pointing it out for accuracy.

okay that's good to know, it came with a 10 year warranty anyways so i can easily use it for 10 years right?

Assuming EVGA doesn't go defunct/power standards radically change/you lose your warranty info yeah, I guess technically.

Oh, you can also use the extra headroom to power car stereo components.

Please respond what else can I try? Or is the GPU just fucked? I don't have onboard graphics.

might be a ram issue. Try using 1 stick and see if it boots. I had the same problem the other day and it turned out one of my 4gb sticks was faulty

Try another GPU. You may even be inclined to take it to a shop if you and your friends don't have one spare.
Cost me $50 roo bucks when it happened to me.

Will do after I get my cables, I need them anyways. I'll try these last three things and if it doesn't work I'll cry myself to sleep. 1300$ down the drain.

>1300$ down the drain.
That's what warranties and RMA's are for.

Not down the drain, just a delay. If you take it to a shop, don't forget for them to write officially the card/mobo is DOA. That should make RMA much smoother.

i have no experience with ssds. i was looking at samsung 850 evo and adata su700. are any of those good, or do you recommend anything else?

Kingston UV400. Cheep and performs very well.
Sandisk I hear is great.
Yours are great too.

From UV400 to EVO you're looking at a few second difference in load times. You really can't go wrong with SSD's.
Unless you get too little space.
I recommend 240-500gb for games in a mid tier build.
1tb for top.
120 for purely OS and programs in a budget+ build, with a hybrid HDD (A small SSD in a HDD that saves commonly used files to it to boost speeds)

850 evo is significantly better.

If the adata/mx300 is a fair bit cheaper than the 850 evo, just go with the cheaper alternative.

Can I ask for desk recommendations here or should I fuck off?

Buy a countertop from Ikea or anywhere else, butcherblock style, add legs.

There's a battlestation thread. It's a circle jerk
Avoid the herman miller chair shill.

>There's a battlestation thread. It's a circle jerk
Yeah I know I asked there and got completely ignored.

Hey Sup Forumsents. I wanna build a cheap 1080p/60fps machine for occasional single player vidya and dat quake champions and titanfall 2 etc.
Is ryzen 1400+rx560 a good combo?
Were I live rx560 and gtx1050ti are priced around 130 Eur, rx570 is 200 at it's cheapest if I can even find one.

Best advice I can give is to go to a furniture store, and sit as various desks and imagine your system on it. Also take a notepad and a tape measure to take note of leg room and table space, then when your home, buy online the same or similar for 1/3rd the price.

Laminated wood is better than laminated chip board.
Flat packs are easy to construct. But take not you don't put non laminated sides facing outwards.

I'm really conflicted about straight desk vs L desk and keyboard tray vs no

I've historically always had L desks. I like the space. But I also have a bad habit of cluttering it up. Do you guys have any opinions?

Also, keyboard trays. I've always liked them for the same reason--more desk space. But I also find that they tend to get a little warped over time, meaning eventually they start to slide and catch, and generally just be annoying. Are they more trouble than they're worth?

>try to find an AMD motherboard for my ryzen on amazon
>they a have shit reviews
Why

Keyboard trays are cancer.

Why do you feel that way, user?

Coin flip on the GPU. Aim for a 1500X if in budget.
Will do most things, so long as you're not on ultra settings.
Ultra is more meant for presentations. Where you'd use massive anti aliasing to upscale to 8K for projection.
I personally want a corner desk. For multi screen setup. But with shelving. Tray's can go fuck themselves if you use the PC often. As yes, they don't last on cheaper desks.

L is very good if you do handwriting often/have it in your bedroom, so you can set the TV on it. and still have a multi monitor set up in the corner of it.

For anti clutter there is no cure.

gtx 1050 ti is flat out better than rx 560 (except doom 3 with vulcan).

RX 570 is the minimum for higher graphics settings though, and you really may want to consider 8gb, if you're not planing to get a new graphics card in a year (however, at that price point you may be just about the same price point as RX 580 8gb... the pricing is pretty weird).

Go with r5 1500X instead, it comes with a better cooler, so you can overclock it further without having to buy a new cooler. The 1400 won't allow you to overclock without running into thermal issues.

If you know that quake champions and titanfall 2 can run on your desired settings, in 1080@60hz, then go for it, I guess.

>7700k
no, no it doesn't

CPU really isn't really affected by graphics settings, there are only a few settings that will increase CPU usage.

Non that user but you kind of answered your own question.
>they tend to get a little warped over time, meaning eventually they start to slide and catch, and generally just be annoying

Plus it's hard to get aesthetic gainz from them.

>But with shelving
I was planning on a getting a very minimal desk, no matter what, and getting some shelving to hang on the wall, or slide underneath the desk separately.

And yeah, this is basically a home office, room all to myself, so space isn't a big concern.

You're looking at almost 200$ less money if you go for with r5 1600 + H7/Dark rock 3/Shadow Rock 2.
With that money you can get a GTX 1080, or save the money for when you buy a new screen (although sucks with nvidia, because the gsync tax is pretty much $200).

True, just a suggestion because often once people have a PC they think of more things than pure gaming to do with it. So it doesn't hurt to go up a CPU tier.
Especially in the low end builds.
You're pretty solid thus far.
Note* the 1500x also comes with a cooler.

A CEO desk might be more your style. Gets you off the wall and into a prominent position in the room.
Bit of a moral boost. Unless you've got a sweet view out a window.

Yeah, I think the cooler is the biggest deal, allows you to overclock to around 3,7/3.8ghz, without needing to buy a new cooler.
I don't know how much the extra 8mb cache per CCX does.

Thanks. I might upgrade the card in a couple of years, so no biggie. Also, isn't it worth it to buy 1400 and oc it, because I wanted to buy an aftermarket cooler regardless? Or 1500x is flatout better in every way, including oc ?

Nah man, I've got way too many cables to hide for that.

And the blinds on my windows are closed most of the time anyway :^)

Besides, I wanna do some backlighting/underlighting, so a wall is a must.

7700K + 1070
What kind of monitor should I buy? One with Gsync? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync
A freesync one? Whatever?

I'm sort of lost to be honest. I built my rig not long ago but still kept my old VGA Asus 1080p monitor. While it's still more than fine for most stuff I do, I get screen tearing issues and such on a few AAA titles because it my PC is too fast for it (even with vsync on sometimes, yeah).
Looking for suggestions. Either 1080p or 1440p are fine. Not interested in 4K.

>extra 8mb cache
More programs than games if history remains true. There used to be clerons with no L2 that performed better in games because of it. Might have been due to not having extra heat from it tho. Allowing higher clocks.
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1400/3921vs3922
Marginally better clocking. This comes sown to X variants being higher binned chips.
> I wanted to buy an aftermarket cooler regardless
1500X comes with the Wraith Spire 95W Cooler
More than enough to get clocks with. And doesn't look like shit.
1400 comes with the Wraith Stealth 65W
Still fine for the job. But will make slightly more noise with greater fan speed required.

So it depends on the price of the cooler you have in mind, if it plus the 1400 costs more than the 1500X alone, it's not worth it-ish.

Building a midrange video editing machine. Is everything good or should I replace x with y?

Get 16gb ram and you're set

Would it be worth it to sell my RX480 on ebay to get an RX580

if you plan on video editing I would plan on getting 16gb of ram, adding an SSD and dropping down to a 580.

Video editing & encoding using Premiere Pro / Vegas & other software tends to take a lot of RAM so you might wanna get 16 GB instead

change the ram. You'll want a 2x4gb kit to make use of dual channel. Also 2133 is really slow ram. For Ryzen, you want 2666mhz or better.
Then add a 120GB 2.5" SSD for around $50
Then choose a case to put it all in.

no just overclock your 480 its the same thing

take 3200mhz 16gb

No, go to YouTube and learn how to overclock it. It's a few slider bars, plus trial and error.
I OC'd my 1060 to 2070mhz in around two hours of dicking about.
You cannot fuck it up, It's safe and easy.

its just werks

are you guys sure it's good to recommend r5 1600 for "high fps gaming" and mixed use when looking at game benchmarks it's 40fps slower than 7700k and even beat by haswell like i5 4690k?

it's weird i try to look for benchmarks so i could choose whether i want a r5 1600, r7 1700 or 7700k and the few game benchmarks you find between all the cinebench results where ryzen obviously shines, you either see 7700k beat 1800x by 40fps (170 vs130fps - big difference!) and 1600/1700 aren't even included in the list, and you find some benchmarks where 1700 and 7700k are toe to toe, even for the same game

i really don't know what to do, i really want ryzen for multithreading use but i really don't know what to think of the gaming results

also i can't really find anything where all 3 ryzens are included in (gaming) benchmarks to see if they have any difference in gaming, the one benchmark where r5 1600 and r7 1700 are included 1700 is barely a frame or two faster

are (older (the majority)) ryzen benchmarks just hindered by lack of optimised bios/ram etc?

how much difference is there actually between r5 1600 and i5 7600k (in gaming)? sometimes they're close, sometimes miles apart

never use the power supply that comes with some cases. You're better off buying both separately

If you've got the cash, wait for Intels new HEDT and get the 8 core from that. the 7820x, that's what I'm doing anyhow, returning my new in box 7700k for it.

I'm upgrading to 16 GB after my next payday, this is what I can work with for now.

I plan on going the VR route later down the road, too.

>t. mcburgerknownothing
look at the specs of the PS, its perfectly fine for a g4560 and 1050

Is there a /pcbg/ irc channel?

>2 hours to oc Pascal

It took me literally 5 minutes to oc my 1070. I just stuck an extra 200 mhz to the stock core and 300 to the memory and it was good to go. As long as you increase the core frequency to where it will boost (in-game boost) to at least 2ghz, gpu boost 3 will automatically fluctuate between 2 and 2.1 ghz itself so all you have to do is get it within a ballpark boost of 2.0 and 2.1 ghz core.

I might try pushing my memory to 9gbps later on today for the sake of it. I'm pretty sure that most 1070 with micron memory can hit 9gbps