I CAN'T FUCKING STAND LINUX ANYMORE NOTHING FUCKING WORKS WHAT DOES "COMPILE FROM SOURCE" EVEN FUCKING MEAN...

I CAN'T FUCKING STAND LINUX ANYMORE NOTHING FUCKING WORKS WHAT DOES "COMPILE FROM SOURCE" EVEN FUCKING MEAN? WHY CAN'T I JUST DOWNLOAD SOMETHING AND RUN IT

Other urls found in this thread:

snapcraft.io/
appimage.org/
warosu.org/g/image/pms2f_PFrwLg_olDyW-p3g
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In order to compile from source you must complete the shachiko ritual with at least 3 people, and if you fuck it up there are grave consequences.

kek

Where can i subscribe to your blog?

>Dumb fucks don't know how to compile a program
Is this what Sup Forums has become?

Yea you have to be able to read to use linux. I know it sucks, but it helps with comprehension.

linux suck cus of no drivers, it's basically worthless for desktop use, it's only good for servers and POS. stop falling for the meme

WAHH WHY WON'T PEOPLE RELEASE SOFTWARE AS BLACK BOX BINARIES THAT IRREVOCABLY EMBED THEMSELVES IN MY OPERATING SYSTEM AND NEED SEPARATE DEDICATED UPDATE PROGRAMS

which linux distribution do you use
i don't think there are many cases where you need to compile anything from source except if you want to be bleeding edge or test rarely software

in other cases your distribution probably has what you want in their package manager and you can install it with one command or a few clicks

I use linux and I don't have any technical skills beyond pointing and clicking. Are you functionally retarded?

Never Linux.

i was being sarcastic dumb catposter

>corpse party reference on Sup Forums of all places

>What is a package manager?

That's the price you pay for freedom

stallman has a herd of nigger cattle?

>WHY CAN'T I JUST DOWNLOAD SOMETHING AND RUN IT

snapcraft.io/
appimage.org/

hope you are vaccinated against cancer thou.

It's called an app store now

Unironically this is the reason why nix based operating systems will only ever be adopted by techs and other fringe circles. Most people just want to click an icon and get their application fix, it doesn't matter if it tracks their information or flashes an ad every once in a while. The instant gratification of having something that simply works overrides the effort in customization, compilation, and even cherishing their own privacy.

And if that application ever stops working, you can guarantee someone will have made an alternative, still loaded with trackers and ads.

Naming conventions have also been irredeemably unintuitive and it's been an issue since forever. Call the fucking thing what it is in a sense that most people can instantly at least guess what something does.

Don't complain about a lack of users when everything is named in some tongue in cheek convention then only a handful of people will get.

>Unironically this is the reason why nix based operating systems will only ever be adopted by techs and other fringe circles.

Yeah that's why everyone installs .apks and .ipas on their NT-kernel phone OSes

>hurr-durr nuffin works
warosu.org/g/image/pms2f_PFrwLg_olDyW-p3g

>WHAT DOES "COMPILE FROM SOURCE" EVEN FUCKING MEAN?
Maybe you should one of these laptops

It's easy as fook m8

>Windows
>want to install x
>google x download
>click sourceforge link
>open installer
>accidentally miss hidden checkbox
>computer gets cucked by adware

>Linux
>sudo apt-get install x or equivalent
>OR
>git clone
>make && make install

Funny.
Now go to hell smarty boi.

What if the repo or git gets compromised without us knowing?

RTFM, idiot.

Everything works fine, you're just an idiot who can't figure things out because they don't work exactly like they do in Windows.

>sudo apt-get install photoshop

oh...wait

>proprietary software

>>Linux
>>sudo apt-get install x or equivalent
>>OR
>>git clone
>>make && make install

>warning : command "make" not found
>sudo apt-get install make
>"make" not found
>open google
>"make package ubuntu"
>sudo apt-get install xxxxxxx
>make
>warning no C or C++ compiler found
>install c or c+++ compiler
>compiler not configured ;^)
>etc

yea, wow, that's so much better

>Dumb fucks don't know how to write your own program in assembly
Is this what Sup Forums has become?

kek

>linux suck cus of no drivers
Linux has better driver support than Windows, at least out of the box.
Windows 10 did not have drivers for the fucking ethernet controller on my motherboard, so I had to boot a live linux distro (which did have drivers) to download them.

>implying that this would happen on ubunut

>Plan 9
>hg or cat+webfs
>tar
>mk or 8c;8l

>using free software to use the worst botnet ridden proprietary shit ever created
Sad.

oh wow, it actually has media players and the weather and email client, the uhhh "LED" display is rather limiting though

No. The app store would be the repository, not the package manager. Kill yourself dumbfuck.

Downloaded Debian, had to install gcc, didnt have to install like a zillion other programs I dont use

also I auto removed galculator, and It deleted my libra office, isnt it supposed to only remove dependices unique to the program? that one got me

What else do you remove when you install a new distro?

ITT: Loonusfaggots anus anguished as fuck that their OS is limited to servers and neckbeards.

Having to spend time compiling every other program and hand configuring fucking everything is why I only use Linux for server work and will not be caught dead having it on my desktop.

pic related is every linuxfag ever who has nothing better to do than "customize" their desktop (read: Get it to work normally like Windows/OSX do after one-time tweaks).

>autist obsesses over minutae

>ITT: Loonusfaggots anus anguished as fuck that their OS is limited to servers and neckbeards.

i'm satisfied with that. i just need Sup Forums to reflect my choice of operating system. that's all.

You should send in your resume.

I usually install barebones, but I didnt want to deal with trying to get my wifi working myself so I decided to click "system utilities" which apparently is a lot more then I thought it would be

I also removed clipit, not sure what it is, but at least debian told me not to use it to copy anything sensitive, so I just removed it

no thanks, I don't run linux on my desktop

There is a readme for those who can read more than some google results.

this is the obviously superior solution to home computing

Then that's the perfect job for you. Many MS employees are Linux fan too, so watch out for fellow autists.

Where is my Amiga rig?

csb

Unless you are literally using LFS this never happens

>I am unable to properly understand linux in such a fashion that I am able to use it as a desktop OS

>yfw at work we only use centos HEDTs for FEM/FEA and CAD
hmmm....

When was the last time a repo of a big name distro was compromised? Websites of different distros have been compromised occasionally, but I've never heard of the main repos being compromised.

>working on Linux servers for over a decade
>doesn't "understand" linux

sure buddy

>WHAT DOES "COMPILE FROM SOURCE" EVEN FUCKING MEAN?
Sup Forums 2017

>handbrake
>audacity

I have seen this meme many times. He acts like he knows Linux, but a total idiot for it.

>big name distro

whoops me and reading comprehension, not any i believe

>anyone who doesn't use linux for everything must be retarded and out of touch
>it's not me who is out of touch!

xDDD

>people are stupid if they don't know the answer to their question ina dvance

dude LINUX lmao

The "app store" in Ubuntu is just another way of accessing the repositories(as opposed to using Synaptic or apt-get), not a repository.

That thing is buggy as hell though. I end up using terminal to fix most of the installs and sometimes it wont even let me remove stuff

Time to get FUCHSIA'D.

I've never used it myself. By the time it came out, I was already used to using Synaptic, and now I just use apt-get.

Just dropping by to see what Sup Forums talks about and the thread got me thinking.
Is Linux made for 1337 hackers or do the guys developing it want normal people to use it too?
Because if you wanna get general public you really shouldn't add stupid shit that wastes time. Maybe have it as an option, but also do things in normal ways. You really think Smith cares about compiling programs when he can just run exe?
Just copy the shit out of Windows and then add gimmicky bullshit as an option for haxxermen.

This is a discussion board, not a Q&A board. Go to StackOverflow if you want to ask dumb questions.

Linux is developed with the assumption that the end user is +80 IQ, that's why all the hate from sub-humans.

>Linux is developed with the assumption that the end user has time for bullshit, and takes pride in learning the innards of his software just to make his shit work;

So you mean developers never wanted general public? Then why are some people posting as if it was a bad thing that it has no coverage.
I'm not going to cry that goddess isn't well known when it was basically intended as seekrit club.

99% of the time you don't need to compile anything - you can either download a .deb file or download and install the program from the repositories.

>t. Tyrone
Linux having a bigger marketshare is a good thing, but it isn't if that implies dumbing down the whole system to accommodate for lesser individuals, it's another story of the lowest common denominator.

Free as in free labor

There's no way that any dumbing down would impact the kernel. Most of it's in the DE.

>Linux has better driver support than Windows, at least out of the box.
look at him and laugh

What would be the problem with dumbing it down? Like adding Windows-like GUI, etc. that you could turn off/not use if you don't want a 'dumbed down' version.

It already exists (Linux Mint), but if you would really push it to the masses then you would have to cut down features and "complexity" like dumbing down package managers, config files, terminal, etc

It does you retard. Drivers are embedded in the kernel. And then there's ARM.

>60694039 (You)

photoshop.... in a linux thread.... when there's vastly superior gimp, native to gnu/linux

This. Time is money. And I have money to make.

Meine seiten, Hanz

What is Cinnamon, Zorin or any of the dozen Windows look alikes?
Hell KDE, Unity and Gnome 3 are just as easy to use as windows after a day learning curve. If you can't learn to use any of these desktop environments within a half week then you're literally retarded.
A majority of the programs that normies use are either on a "App Store", packaged as a deb (no harder than clicking an exe) or one terminal command away.
Linux is already dumbed down enough. The only legitimate complaint is the lack of professional software from fuckers like adobe.

Stop being a neckbeard and get a fucking Mac

I wouldn't call gimp superior. Gimp is shit. Everyone who actually uses photoshop and gimp knows that gimp is shit.

The fact that Adobe software doesn't exist on Linux is no fault of kernel or distribution developers. The fuckers at adobe have literally been paid to not port their software.
They cite a lack of market share but that's all bullshit.

>comparing compiling pre-written source code to writing your own assembly
I think, deep down, maybe Sup Forums was always this dumb.

install gentoo

OP is a microcuck and will repost this shit until Sup Forums don't get used to it. Maybe forever :^)

im not laughing because hes right

I prefer GIMP over PS. Is much easier to use and the color picker tool let's me grab a color from any window open. This saves time in having to take a screenshot and opening it.

I never used linux before, which one should I get and where? I'm feeling like trying something new for no particular reason. Guide me senpai

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

nothing, because you'd ned to compromise the repo and get the private key of a maintainer to sign the package

depending on your distro

pacman -S
apt-get install

not sure about RPM never used a distro that had it

>WHY CAN'T I JUST DOWNLOAD SOMETHING AND RUN IT
This is exactly why Windows is plagued by malware.

Linux*

*GNU is not Unix Operating System with Linux added

Oh boy i can't wait for my PC-98 to arrive.

- install ubuntu.
- learn how to use it
- research other desktop environments
- find your favorite desktop environment
- re-install linux completely now that you actually know what you want
- basque in the glory of a superior os