Where were you when agent Orange decided to fry the planet

Also, how fuck is our species?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/03/150302-syria-war-climate-change-drought/
nypost.com/2014/03/30/climate-change-will-push-world-into-war-un-report/
independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-wars-global-warming-conflict-refugees-walls-wont-help-general-warns-a7381031.html
independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-fuelling-global-wars-conflict-world-syria-africa-global-warming-un-secretary-general-a7525431.html
archive.is/LOD69
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming#Observed_and_expected_environmental_effects
academia.edu/4210419/Can_climate_models_explain_the_recent_stagnation_in_global_warming
xkcd.com/1732/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_conquest_of_Algeria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/newsroom/pressreleases/20031208a.html
mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/newsroom/20050920a.html
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html
news.mit.edu/2002/pluto
space.com/3159-global-warming-pluto-puzzles-scientists.html
abc.net.au/news/2006-07-26/pluto-thought-to-be-warming-up/1810860
news.mit.edu/1998/triton
scienceagogo.com/news/19980526052143data_trunc_sys.shtml
nature.com/nature/journal/v428/n6985/abs/nature02470.html
space.com/2071-storm-jupiter-hints-climate-change.html
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/19may_saturnstorm/
archive.is/oWHbt)
archive.is/RXcK4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energiewende_in_Germany
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so fucked that you ought to kill yourself now

I'd say som fuk.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/03/150302-syria-war-climate-change-drought/

nypost.com/2014/03/30/climate-change-will-push-world-into-war-un-report/

independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-wars-global-warming-conflict-refugees-walls-wont-help-general-warns-a7381031.html

independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change-fuelling-global-wars-conflict-world-syria-africa-global-warming-un-secretary-general-a7525431.html

>president withdraws from paris agreement
>states ignore him
This is what looks like is going to happen.

who the fuck cares get started on that fucking wall instead

Not all. The poorest of our species are who will probably really suffer.

To Europe, meeting climate goals is a moral obligation (you know, not fucking a good part of the world up AGAIN like with muh exploitative imperialism, world wars and so on) and insurance against some potentially costly events. But not existential.

We already know that even near worst case scenarios would be manageable and not necessarily very much more costly to us than trying to reduce emissions is.

But 2-3 degrees Celsius warming fucks the poor world. Very badly. Hundreds of millions displaced, many killed. And they will know it, too.

Basically, not really doing anything is very bad PR at the very least.

Funfact:
>Paris Climate Agreement will subtract just 0.2 degrees from the global increase in temperature expected in 2100

It's a good thing the most productive states are democratic majorities, funny coincidence actually...

>implying you can isolate yourself from the rage and WMDs of the "poor world"

That's not actually little.

If I was the emperor of Earth and Earth only and wanted my humans to be productive, I'd want the raised productivity and habitability of 0.2 degrees. Never mind the extra migrations and unproductive fights that will happen the more things change.

Apart from that, since there is no emperor of earth, it requires to get started "seriously" for anything more to happen in ten years from now. We will not do anything more without the inertia and technology and tooling that comes from getting actually started on a larger scale.

>All the rich people live by the sea
>The poorest of our species are who will probably really suffer
??
>Hundreds of millions displaced, many killed.
Except global warming is actually making it easier to survive in the 3rd world:
archive.is/LOD69

It's just one agreement that wasn't actually enforced by anything. It's a pledge by all of the nations in it to tighten their controls on pollution. Many of the countries in it are not very industrialized in the first place so they don't even have anything to lose in pledging to join it. For these countries their pledge is partly symbolic and also to steer their future developments toward efficiency and renewables.

>coincidence
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

I think he was using it sarcastically.

>non-legally binding agreement with largely symbolic meaning
>literally gaining nothing but pissing the illiterate off
7D curling

Just consume less you dope

Thank whoever you're not the emperor of Earth. A warmer Earth would be a better place to live in by every objective metric.

If they get WMD (which we might not as easily permit to happen anyhow), why would they point them at Europe?

If the current trend continues, we'll have fairly seriously tried to pay and work for this not to happen, and also supplied them with some mitigation measures.

I think they might be more pissed off at some other places.

> Except global warming is actually making it easier to survive in the 3rd world
Probably not. Overwhelming body of evidence points at sea level rises, precipitation issues in many areas, and more issues with water management overall, among other things.

That plants will probably have more warmth and CO2 to grow will not solve all our problems by any means, it's also making life even easier for insects, bacteria and so on that fuck the poor world pretty badly already.

Climate change may be real but the alarmism is unwarranted.

>It's just one agreement that wasn't actually enforced by anything. It's a pledge
So sort of like NATO but look how Estonia still hasn't been invaded.
It's much better than nothing and can be built upon as alternative technology improves.

Just imagine how much CO2 this fucker's rockets are outputting every time he launches something.

Hope that evil cunt he's dating fleeces him dry.

He's a beta fag.

>If I was the emperor of Earth and Earth only and wanted my humans to be productive, I'd want the raised productivity and habitability of 0.2 degrees
Except you're decreasing productivity 10x more than you gain from the -0.2 degrees by fucking up with the economy, which will decrease innovation and thus the speed at which technology to solve climate change problems is developed. And that's assuming that the amount of expected warming WILL decrease productivity when there is evidence to suggest it would actually increase it ().

climate change may be real, but people dont affect it the most. also what even is wrong with it. i hate cold.

Overwhelming body of evidence also points to a two decade stagnation in global warming. Yes, "hottest year on record" has been pure propaganda for two decades now.

>That plants will probably have more warmth and CO2 to grow will not solve all our problems by any means
It will solve a large chunk of the "not enough food" in Africa etc problem.

paris agreement had shit about allowing migrants in and other stuff that had nothing to do with climate change

That is extremely unlikely to be the case, according to most guesses we can take and even the initial (already happened) warming observed.

Just a tiny fraction of the breakdown can be found here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming#Observed_and_expected_environmental_effects

It's definitely not going to be the apocalypse - certainly not for "club richfag" anyhow, but it'll be shit overall.

And that doing nothing but accelerate the temperature change is the optimum is wishful thinking.

>If they get WMD (which we might not as easily permit to happen anyhow)
too late; a number of fundamentally unstable but hardest hit countries like Pakistan and Iran either have or work on WMD stockpiles

>why would they point them at Europe?
climate change happens to effect muslim areas the most while they are not responsible for much of the pollution

>Overwhelming body of evidence points at sea level rises
As I said, it's the rich who live near the sea.

>precipitation issues in many areas, and more issues with water management overall
Where are the proofs? This is all confirmation bias.

>moral obligation

Found the communist.

And Europe didn't fuck the world, you must be thinking about great Britain

Sorry to break it to you but you seem to be living in an information bubble.

It's a good start. It's pretty difficult to get something huge with 200 countries trying to negotiate at the same time but this agreement opens the doors to other more extensive agreements in the future.

What don't you understand about mutually assured destruction? Hell, US and Europe can probably block a nuclear rocket.

>It's a good start
No, the Paris agreement is actively harmful.

>imblyign

Obligatory reading: academia.edu/4210419/Can_climate_models_explain_the_recent_stagnation_in_global_warming

Since there is no punishment for going against paris accord, whats to stop fucks like india and china to keep shitting up the planet even after "promising" not to.

>WAAAAH FOUR YEARS OF RELAXED EPA REGULATION WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WE'RE ALL GUNNA DIIIIIIE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Can I get a tl;dr?
Does he argue for yes or for no?

That's part of the reason people are pissed off about this. There was literally no reason for him to leave this agreement, it was not binding in any way. If Trump wanted to tone down some of the pledges he could have done so without leaving it. He's acting like he had to leave it even though the proposals in it are voluntary.

I'm of the opinion that he left it just to spite Obama and he plans to re-enter the agreement after "negotiating" the completely voluntary terms himself to make it look like he made a better deal than Obama. He's that stubborn and his fans are that stupid.

a lot of africa was french, belgian and italian, and did you ever notice who much of south america speaks portugese and spanish?

> Except you're decreasing productivity 10x more than you gain from the -0.2 degrees by fucking up with the economy
Your raising of productivity without restrictions on efficiency and emissions will just flat-out increase emissions at a rapid if not (for a while, while the rest of mankind catches up and everyone utterly maximizes their economic potential regardless of emissions) exponential pace.

> which will decrease innovation and thus the speed at which technology to solve climate change problems is developed
This technology will get developed and deployed if there is a myriad of incentives to do so, which is literally what these various agreements are trying to do.

If you can meet or surpass all goals, you can economically speaking grow your company. Perfect incentive.

It just happening otherwise is wishful thinking.

> Overwhelming body of evidence also points to a two decade stagnation in global warming.
Not at all. Not sure how you concluded this or where you heard such bullshit, but it's not the case. We got an ongoing trend since the industrialization, tendency accelerating. Kinda obviously since more parts of the world are now building more industry based on fossil fuels.

He avoids motivated reasoning.

It's basically a big "fuck you" to global engagements. Trump won on a big nationalist note, shitting all over the UN, NATO, and all the agreements inbetween. He's just trying to gain points from anybody at this point.

>What don't you understand about mutually assured destruction?
radicals in disintegrating societies laugh at your empty threats

> Hell, US and Europe can probably block a nuclear rocket.
it can't but you should also think more creatively how they could deliver it

This guy is on point. If you think he is wrong, you are a dreamer. You shouldn't fuck the market and pour billions in uncertain strategies, you have to let the will of the people lead this pro-climate trend. This is the cheaper and the most moral solution.

t American redneck talk radio "expert" in sniffing green house gasses A.K.A. farts

Is that what he meant by "shaking up Washington"?
Going against what literally everyone says just to gain brownie points from hicks in the Bible Belt?

> whats to stop fucks like india and china to keep shitting up the planet even after "promising" not to.
There was nothing to stop them in the first place, the idea of the Paris accord is that developing countries don't have to do shit because they've got to keep developing their economies, hence US and Europe are the ones who have to pay.
That said, to answer your original question:
>Their ability/lack thereof to breathe

Like I said, you seem to be living in an information bubble. There is absolutely nothing controversial about stagnation in warming.
>trend
Gibberish term. Literally.
Learn some math.

Keep proving how you have no idea what you're talking about.

It was a campaign promise to withdraw, he's just delivering.

>US and Europe are the ones who have to pay
No, we don't. Fuck them.

It's bad, but with the rest of the planet still party to it, the effects won't be as dramatic as the agreement simply not existing.

>No, we don't
They've literally already agreed to it

>the effects won't be as dramatic
>effects
>dramatic

All this gesture says to the world is that the US will not uphold its agreements which puts the US in a worse position when it negotiates future agreements.

What part of purely symbolic is so hard to understand? No one actually cares about climate change (Earth's climate has never been 'unchanging'). Politicians only use it as a shibboleth.

> you seem to be living in an information bubble
Yea, as big as I can make it (can't exactly jack myself into ALL studies and data sources).

But taking in maximum information tells me that, at this point, we have a ridiculously obvious trend.

> There is absolutely nothing controversial about stagnation in warming.
It isn't even consistent with measurements we have from around the globe (ground and satellite based) - how much *more* controversial could it be?

> Gibberish term. Literally.
> trend (trĕnd)►
> n.
> The general direction in which something tends to move.

> Learn some math.
You do that. "Trends" - negative, positive and so on are even a thing in maths.

No, all this gesture says is that the US is realigning its geopolitical interests.

This guy is serious.
China is bigger problem as they don't decrease the pollution and still depends on coal. Literally this what Trumps want, but fracking made the coal a meme.

Good. If we kill the poor, then there wont' be any communists.

I'm anti-Paris accord, I'm just stating their logic.
If it comes to a game of chicken where the US China wait as long as possible to make a move in fixing the problem, the US wins.

Oh god... Do this with WTO too and make america great again :^)

>567px-Global_Temperature
Interesting how the Great Depression, rise of fascism and WW2 "coincided" with a huge spike in global temperature.

I wonder about that. Communism is almost dead anyhow.

But yes, it's going to mainly kill and displace the poor. We are pretty much safe unless something peripherally related (and unlikely) gets us.

China is rolling out tons of solar panels, wind turbines, and nuclear plants and coal is quickly being phased out apparently. It's kicking the US' ass at addressing pollution. It's also not fair to blame China for the pollution that was largely caused by foreign companies including American companies. America and the west basically outsourced its pollution to China.

>But taking in maximum information tells me that, at this point, we have a ridiculously obvious trend.
This is Dunning-Kruger effect. Any non-scientist who thinks they can make an informed decision about the science is deluded.

'Trend' is a thing in statistics, and it is meaningless without the context of a time series. Like I said, you're talking gibberish, passing of colloquial, informal, dumb, "line on a graph" tripe as "analysis".

No, he's gaining brownie points from everyone not in a leftist echo chamber.

Burgerland have leftists? The last time i saw muh liberal tears salt mine memes at trump's echo chamber.
Forget governing, it's all feels like, everything is about avenging Obama's 8 years.

> The great depression
1929-30, you can see a small dip in annual mean there, but smoothed it did nothing much. We're also only talking about ~15% GDP reduction that in most places was recovered quickly.

1900-WW2 saw overall a good bit of industrialization and population growth, though.

> WW2
Dunno. Might just have been a few 0.1 degrees warmer years. (If that's a huge spike then 1910 is a huge dip?). Or might have been related.

I guess you could look at the outliers, but the point isn't really how to avoid these but how to avoid the trend.

>Burgerland have leftists?
How about the majority of its population? Does that count as having leftists?

> without the context of a time series
~ Beginning of industrialization (pick your time, steam engines being invented or commercialized might be one) till now is the typical reference, but you can use any longer time series, like this:
xkcd.com/1732/

We're generally talking about WTF happened in the final part of that graph.

I can't trust that as they don't know what is communism either aside """free""" stuff which is bullshit.

Solar panels aren't all that good for the environment. All the left-over waste that goes into making them has to go somewhere. Not to mention they're not really all that powerful.

PS: The image with the plot I posted had an obvious "time series", too.

You know, the bottom part was time - years when measurements were taken, eh.

It's true the production of them is not very clean but they're still a significant step up from coal. Unfortunately they're not sustainable all by themselves but they can be supplemented with batteries and wind and other forms of energy production which can pick up the slack in less than ideal situations.

Dude, even fucking Al Jazeera admits that France's colonization of Africa was overwhelmingly benevolent. All they did was give them medicine, education, French citizenship and ability to move to France.
The only reason they invaded North Africa in the first place was because Barbary slave traders kept attacking European ports and kidnapping Europeans as slaves:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_conquest_of_Algeria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade
Having colonies LOST Europe money - that's why Britain had to give theirs up after WWII.

>but they can be supplemented with
Nuclear power.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/newsroom/pressreleases/20031208a.html

mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/newsroom/20050920a.html

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

news.mit.edu/2002/pluto

space.com/3159-global-warming-pluto-puzzles-scientists.html

abc.net.au/news/2006-07-26/pluto-thought-to-be-warming-up/1810860

news.mit.edu/1998/triton

scienceagogo.com/news/19980526052143data_trunc_sys.shtml

nature.com/nature/journal/v428/n6985/abs/nature02470.html

space.com/2071-storm-jupiter-hints-climate-change.html

science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/19may_saturnstorm/

nice meme

>people hating because US taxes won't pay for international nigger gibs me dat

>This technology will get developed and deployed if there is a myriad of incentives to do so, which is literally what these various agreements are trying to do.
Government subsidies don't work and almost always backfire.
Wind power for example is an inefficient meme that kills thousands upon thousands of birds and can create more emissions than it saves (archive.is/oWHbt) but it gets propped up by government subsidies.

Ethanol subsidies backfired:
>A decade ago we were plowing money into ethanol subsidies as one response to climate change. But that turned out to be not just environmentally destructive but was also arguably responsible for the spike in food prices that soon followed, as farmers turned away from cultivating corn for human consumption to cultivating it for ethanol production.

Smog prevention subsidies backfired:
>Another example: The New York Times recently reported on the massive increase in smog over London. The cause? Let me quote from the story:

>“The British government provided financial incentives to encourage a shift to diesel engines because laboratory tests suggested that would cut harmful emissions and combat climate change. Yet, it turned out that diesel cars emit on average five times as much emissions in real-world driving conditions as in the tests, according to a British Department for Transport study.”

Merkel's green energy program backfired - electricity prices went through the roof yet emission levels are exactly the same as when they started in 2009.
archive.is/RXcK4

There already is a myriad of incentives - whoever solves the problem gets rich.

>It's kicking the US' ass at addressing pollution.
Good, looks like we don't need to get involved then if the world's biggest polluter is fixing everything for us :^)

communism / socialism is making a HUGE resurgence right now, and historically the poor only take so much before they fight back en masse.

glhf capitalist pigs is what im saying basically. The rich will be eaten

>Where were you when agent Orange decided to fry the planet

oldfag detected

Nice non-argument
It's literally undisputed history

The "poor" are starving in Africa. No one who has an internet connection can be considered very poor in any sort of historical context. You may not be as rich as the richest mofo but I sure as hell bet all your basic needs are being met.
So fuck off spoiled commieshit.

>Government propped up bankers are pillaging us, let's give government more control!!!

>communism
>not equally-distributed poverty
Pick one

Per capital the US is the largest I believe. China is bad but not the worst and it at least has the excuse that almost all of its economy is industrial. The US absolutely does need to be in any climate agreement it's among the worst and it doesn't even have an excuse for it.

>Merkel's green energy program backfired - electricity prices went through the roof yet emission levels are exactly the same as when they started in 2009.
The part where they exit nuclear power isn't really about them trying to save on nuclear green house gas emissions, no.

They simply just wanted out of nuclear power and decided renewables were going to be used (rather than coal or such). It was always clear it'd cost a good bit. And it certainly is question if that is a good idea and worthwhile to imitate.

That said, apparently:
> Germany has made significant progress on its GHG emissions reduction target, achieving a 27% decrease between 1990 and 2014
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energiewende_in_Germany

Lmao internet access cannot be looked at as a factor of wealth or class, there is no 'historical sense' lol

Also what about all the shitters in India who don't have running water but have a cheapass subsidized phone with internet?

>agent Orange
hup holland

>Per capital the US is the largest I believe.
Yeah well per capita doesn't mean shit in respect to overall warming - also it's not.

Yes some (((Accord))) devised by Obongo and EU cuck leaders with no children is really necessary to the survival of the world

What's he trying to say is your an Starbucks commie who probably owns a $700 iPhone

Keep it up pajeet lmao