/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

appimage.org/
artstation.com/artist/aenamiart
youtu.be/ELelLy1lq-s
elementary.io/
ix.io/w5D
youtu.be/wMvyOGawNwo
blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2017/05/19/fractional-scaling-goes-east/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>this gif

My fucking kek!

pic saved, also install SourceMage

Is there a way for have aliases in dmenu? Creating an external shell script for every little shit doesn't seem to be the right way.

Was this picture made with free software?

Holy fuck, I need help. Has anyone here used the package "imwheel"?

i am installing gentoo on livecd but i have to go to bed now, is there a way to save the point i am at in the installation? or will i have to shut down and restart tomorrow?

What should I use for automatically mounting external hard drives?

Im using nemo but its not arranging stuff in the way i want it to. I have a lot of japanese folders so its grouping stuff that starts with "チ" with stuff that starts with ch instead of seperating them. Its annoying mainly because japanese and english are ordered differently, so チ wouldnt be near the top. How do i make it so it seperates languages properly?

everything should save, youll have to chroot into it tomorrow

So on every reboot I have to run `swapon /dev/sda2`

What was the file where I put that in so it'll mount it automatically upon boot? Not the command itself, but there was a stab file that had these in it?

/etc/fstab

Oh right, does it have to be something like this?

/dev/sda2 / swap defaults 1 1

Or does swap have different values?

mine looks like this
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0

Wait nevermind, it's this

/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

But I'm not sure if the first one should be none or swap like

/dev/sda2 none swap defaults 0 0

Which one is better?

Thanks.

Why do Debian alter software so much? Do they think they know better than upstream?

The only thing stopping me migrating to Debian from Fedora is that Fedora packages are basically all from source and Debian are all altered and covered in Debian branding

anyone here posting from their void install?

void user here btw

Been on Void for a good year now, haven't considered going back to anything else once. I'm completely impressed

all hail our wizard overlords

thanks and for the record could you swear this is not me just samefagging or farming (you)'s

SLAB or SLUB?

Yeah I personally like debian but it annoyed me too when firefox and chromium have debian bookmarks.

Debian's default theme for WindowMaker is pretty bad. Not sure why they made it.

Sell me on KDE. I'm thinking about switching. I'm a long time gtk user and I don't really want to mix qt and gtk. And would it be weird to use i3 with qt programs?

I have a windows iso and I wrote it with dd but when i try to boot from it the computer doesn't recognize it and tells me it's not bootable.

any help?

dd doesn't work for Windows anymore. Try winusb, I've used it a couple of times and it worked fine.

is this windows only? should i just run it through wine?

how does dd not work, I thought it was a bit for bit duplication?

I have no idea. I tried it multiple times. Formated the usb with gparted and tried again. it just does not work and I feel like it's the .iso

I am trying to get linux to work on my computer. i went through all the ubuntu distros except lubuntu. i like the XFCE desktop. but the problem is that i have a 1080p 15 inch laptop. and the XFCE does not scale well. i increased the dpi but it messes up other things too. what is the best DE for 1080p 15 inch screen that is also lightweight enough and customizable like XFCE. i did not like KDE and it actually crashed on me a few times. but i think KDE has the best high dpi support.

What exactly does "column" and "row" mean in terms of geometry?

#!/bin/bash
#ex.sh
#execute something
$@

Meta+d
ex.sh myalias

I'm looking to install arch. Do the scripts do a good job of installing without that much bloat? I'm mainly gonna try arch for the AUR. Coming from debian.

Have you guys heard about appimage? A great way to distribute and share applications.

appimage.org/

Finally having things that work out of the box is a great advance towards the year of gnu+linux on desktop.

The install guide is REALLY good. You can literally follow it step by step user and it'll work. I promise you.

That being said, arch-anywhere gives you a pretty basic installer and lets you pick some programs to install from the get go and walks you through some stuff but I do suggest trying to do it on your own

Amidoinitrite?

>You can literally follow it step by step user and it'll work
Can confirm. I tried Linux for the first time with arch and installed it from the wiki and look at me now, having conflicting font issues and ugly UI (it will look better eventually)

No it's a program for linux. You could have googled and learned this faster than posting here.

Microsoft changed something relatively recently that makes a simple dd not work.

>noobuntu
:))))))))))))))))
t. arch

>tfw been compiling kernel for the past hour
Wait™?

Alright, gonna try the wiki then.

Xfce or Cinnamon for getting shit done?

How does Grub/ISOLinux/Syslinux work exactly?
Does it just detect bootable partitions and boot them?

I like the background, it's like a mix of 80's retro and of ukiyo-e (japanese drawings like the famous one showing a tsunami). who the artist?

there are definitively better shells than bash. i am using fish.

Can you access/open gnome-terminal from anywhere like with Tilda?

You can tell when someone prefers looks over functionality when their terminal is fucking transparent

This is only a problem when you're a retard and use a wallpaper that makes it hard to read

Aenami is the signature at the bottom of the wallpaper.

Where's your borderless MemePV?

not using zsh and oh-my-zsh

In a universe where every element has the same exact size, lets call this universe mono space, you can use columns and rows to coordinate.

>Aenami
Thank you

artstation.com/artist/aenamiart

Hey, I have an svg graphic that I want to rasterize. Is there a way to do this with imagemagick or ffmpeg?

yes

Please teach me senpai

convert in.svg -density 1337 out.png

>set rows to 26
>there's space between two stacked terminals
>set rows to 27
>terminals overlap by a bit
>change font size from 9
>8 is too small, 10 is too big

it's because terminals send size hits to the window manager to make sure that all columns and lines are always visible

Thanks.
>need company logo for master thesis
>get it in SVG
>turns out they took a hi res png version
>then scaled it down to like 300 px width using linear interpolation
>then saved it as jpg
>and THEN turned it into a vector graphic
What in the fuck.

Can you do that in any other program?

samefag

samefag

Why not just use whatever you like? I'm on KDE mainly because it felt more natural than Gnome

Why do you have to be so annoying.

Syslinux has an autoinstaller, not sure about the others. It's really not that hard, but Grub is getting bloated nowadays

>Grub is getting bloated nowadays
how?

Well how do tiling WMs do it?

Some ignore size hints, some don't, some allow you to configure that. I personally just patched URxvt in order to get rid of that. Theres also a patch in the AUR if you use Arch.

Best Linux for beginnings?
Linux Mint? Which flavor is the easiest to customize? Cinnamon looked pretty and all but there were visual glitches even on my gaming PC!
Xubuntu?

How do I make my folders and things look like the one in this video? youtu.be/ELelLy1lq-s

>xfce4terminal --drop-down
Wtf i didn't even know!

elementary.io/

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

install ubunut

That's an unstable build though!

How about antergos?

what is the best terminal?

Install Gentoo. It's just perfect:
- lightweight
- beginner friendly
- optimized for gaming

urxvt

if it's perfect why do you have 3 negatives (-)?

ix.io/w5D
Better FONTS pasta

they also fucked up cd recording software for 10+ years
and it's still fucked

install kde neon

windows uses its own format forgot what its called
which is written with their own tool available somewhere on microsoft.com

so you're looking for something like x1.5 ?
there's a somewhat of a solution using xrandr
up the resolution or dpi to x3 and then cut in half
i think thats what applel also does not sure how well it works
search stackoverflow it's somewhere there

st

tty1

I'm trying to get i3 working well on Arch before I set it to run on startup.

I'm opening it in tty with "xinit i3", but every time I do, it seems to be opening up i3-sensible-terminal with i3 running in it, and I can't close it without crashing i3.

Does this go away if I set i3 to run on startup? My current goal is to just have i3 running a single termite terminal when I open it.

Install Debian GNU/Linux

the one to rule them all

no

Install Devuan GNU/Linux.
Every benefit of debian with the added bonus of not having systemd.

so perfect that nothing works out of the box.

au contraire
every tool you're provided with on the tiny gentoo install image works as intended.
therefore its safe to conclude that indeed gentoo works out of the box.

>having botnet out of the box is good

"Init freedom" is cancer. You are free to choose your init already and since the beginning. The sole purposes of "Init freedom" is creating a meme based hate community against poettering, a guy who writes free software for the community. Do you really think he should burn in hell for doing so?

Hey Lennart, nice to see you back.
On the burning in hell part - God will judge you not me.

Well meme'd as expected.

youtu.be/wMvyOGawNwo

Very good talk about Devuan and how it's not a joke attempt, troll attempt or an attempt to stop the progress of Linux. It also talks about the absolutely cancerous rule of RedHat over development of Linux.

That video makes me want to eat carbonara, which fortunately I am going to shortly.

>Every benefit of debian
Ancient softwares and garbage configs?

Memes aside point of view:

I'm not against systemd, I'm against the idea that programs should depend on a specific init system, which results in a situation where it's difficult to change the init system when you to. There are people who unironically meme about systemd, Poettering, etc, but systemd itself actually isn't the problem. The problem is the community acceptance of systemd as something every program can freely hard depend to. This is why systemd like Devuan must exist. I wish'd people would meme less about systemd being a problem, stop spreading misinformation about it being botnet and instead tell people about the actual problem. All these "systemd takes over GNU/Linux, sorry Systemd/Linux" memes fundamentally miss the point of the problem.

dumb frogposter

Running fedora 25 and my wifi adapter doesn't work correctly. It's a d-link dwa-130 which I'm pretty sure is supported.
Sometimes it will randomly start working and I can use it for about an hour before it disconnects again. I'm not sure why this is happening. I know the usb port is ok because when I boot to windows I get no issues.
What should I do?

IT'S HAPPENING!

blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2017/05/19/fractional-scaling-goes-east/

Is there any tl;dr, article or something about it ? I can't watch a 40 minute video today, but reading about it would be a possible

Just put the speed on 1.25 or 1.50.
It's a lot shorter then.

And you can skip a lot of parts directly relevant to the future of Devuan project.
The most important bit imho is the whole situation about how aggresive was the systemd's takeover over Linux and how shady was the entire adoption of it on Debian.