Longhorn

Who /lh/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

longhorn.ms/desktop-compositing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I remember seeing this in a magazine and Borders and thinking "Damn, that looks good".

Damn, this looks good

why couldn't Vista be like this ;-;7

never forget

As far as I know, WinWorldPC and a few sites have the ISOs.

WWPC has all of them except the full 4088 (there's only the WinPE of it available to download - gotta dig further about this) and 4093 (which supposedly had a broken WinPE sequence).

I still have my copies (on usual DVD-R tho) of Longhorn 3683,4039 and 4093. Apart from 3683 that has audio issues, both 4039 and 4093 had their sound driver bug fixed and worked fine on an Acer Travelmate 804LMi laptop.

I could never get the aero glass working with any build. Does anybody have a guide that actually works?

Damn, this looks good

The only thing I can think of is trying an Aero supported GPU (Radeon 9600/9800 series and anything newer than FX5500).

longhorn.ms/desktop-compositing
On another note, who /athens/ here?

I miss skeuomorph design.

wtf looks good about this?
it looks like shit, exactly like xp did.

when will it come out?
looks better than w10

kek. sa it was a Update on top of XP

After all this time I'm still in love with this design.

>xp looked like shit
It's the 2nd best looking windows UI, after Aero.

Same
Was using longhorn based themes until Microsoft forced Windows 10 down my throat.

Isnt this just the predcessor of vista ?

Vista was feature neutered in comparison to what Longhorn was supposed to be.

>Pale Moon
Does that browser run on 4039 as well? I have a Pentium 4 (Northwood) machine here that I would like to run 4039 and Server 2003 SP2 in a dualboot and wanted to know if it's usable as a alternative to 4039's outdated as heck IE.

Back in the time it looked good.

Design trends change however, so it may look ugly to you.

I still have the ISO image on a DVD.

On it's day, it was beautiful. I tested it and I liked it. Thanks, OP, now I have nostalgia.

Did you dunk your computer in water or what?

literally a toaster

Closer to Windows 7, Longhorn either was or may as well have been, the parallel testing ground for the next Windows iteration conceptually as opposed to technically.

Like a research project that had its good concepts extracted out of it while not really having much purpose on its own, although it easily could have been fine on its own. It's incredible to look at it and see them still pulling features from it today, albeit in a different style on different technology.

They JUST rolled ReFS into the client/desktop versions of W10, Longhorn had concepts relating to WinFS for tagging shit like OS X has now combined with resilience ideas that ReFS adopted. It's a real shame neither concepts were released then, data resiliency and strong metadata relations would have been huge, they still can be.

Why did you have to make me read about Longhorn development all over again ;_;

I seem to recall it working fine on 4039, although I'm not sure whether I had the kernel version patched or not.

after years of seeing this image i only now realize that that is a cat looking through a mouse hole
i always thought it was some weird photoshopped bird
sorry for a blog post

Windows 7 was literally Vista SP2 with a rebrand.

I don't see how that relates to what I said.

This. I prefer the skeuomorphism over all those flat trends.

>still have the longhorn reloaded mod for build 4074
>the setup doe not work and I don't seem to have the fixed version any more

>reloaded
Literally why? That mod breaks more than it fixes.
Just get the regular 4074, manually apply the "new folder" reg fix and disable the WinFS service if the performance impact is too severe on your machine. Then add a custom theme for the glass and animated aurora if you feel like it.

Any recommendations for the GPU? I guess a geforce 5 will work with aero, right?

iirc my lh rig has a GeForce 6200. Most cards from around 2003/2004 should work, although I've had more luck with nvidia cards than ati. You might have to dig up some older drivers, though.