Ubuntu decides to finally ditch the widely despised Unity

>they replace it with fucking Gnome

Why are the people at Obongo so terrible at decision making? Unity was a trainwreck. Gnome is simply heinous and absolutely user unfriendly.

They could've gone with KDE, or even Cinnamon. Nope. Let's run with the shittiest DE iteration everyone sane had forked or abandoned years ago.
Good job.

it is sooo hard to install a new DE. I have been using linux for 23 years and I still havent figured it out!

XFCE
F
C
E

REEEEEE

GNU+Linux Debian + Openbox doesn't have this problem

God, you are stupid. If they went with KDE, it would have meant lot of development time for it, hence becoming much stable, which KDE really needs desu.

No high dpi support
Xfce is an outdated de

I'm not sure it's a terrible decision to have something remarkable in your commercial distro.

But they always didn't seem to have the skills to realize things very well. Upstart also sucked.

xfce is the only de that isnt shit though

i wish i could use gnome but
>gnome 3.25.2: "we did some performance tweaks, optimized CPU usage, should work much better now!"
>it still lags on opening the overview screen and when scrolling in browsers

Gnome is the most complete and user friendly DE, you fucking autist.

MATE and LXQT aren't shit either

Unity was fine. It was not my choice but it was fine. The question is why the holy dick of adolf hitler would they switch to fucking gnome, it's literally the worst shit in the world, literally even TWM would be a better choice why are they so retarded holy shit.

>they go with kde
>all the drawfags have no configuration for wacom tablets
>they have to switch to gnome or windows

Unity was shit, it wasnt customizable and you were stuck with that shitty looking bar on the left and the menu covered your whole fucking screen. You had to literally search everything in there word by word, because it only displayed 5 programs you never used. Hope it never comes back but gnome is shit too.

Cinnamon is really good. I run Debian with Cinnamon DE and really like it. It's probably the onle sane looking DE for Linex.

>Linex.

Sanic is dat you?

Hey, Linex is actually a product (:

we know, it normalizes microflores a stomach.

in a*

I'm sticking to 16.04 for as much as I can.

> global menu in panel or top window
> top window integration into panel when maximized
Unity 7 is comfy, COMFY!

Why do all Linux related envoirement sound fucking retarded?

>tfw i liked unity

You and I, user, are one of the 12 people in the world that actually like Unity and the global menu.

i think they did it on purpose
the only thing people dislike more than unity is gnome 3
>oh, you don't want unity? well fuck you, lets see how you like gnome 3 instead

I really think that you and the rest of the gnome3 haters overestimate how many people hate gnome3. Obviously as someone who loves it I am also biased and am no more prepared than you to tell others anything about public opinion on DEs, but it's been the default on Debian and Fedora forever now and those are two very large communities that seemingly have taken the choice of DE pretty well.

Gnome3 isn't as bad as everyone says and its my hope that by becoming the default on Ubuntu that maybe it will start to see actual real improvements that take the project in the right direction.

>I really think that you and the rest of the gnome3 haters overestimate how many people hate gnome3.

Quite frankly it's the opposite, it is you who underestimates how many people find gnome3 deplorable. Cinnamon was created solely because everyone hated the direction Gnome was going, and how the devs were ignoring user feedback and just went their own way.
Linux Mint is literally just Ubuntu with Cinnamon slapped on top.

>"wahhhhh :'^( they should have developed a DE I use instead"
(You)

When major changes are made to anything, there are always those who will resist it. There are people who refuse to switch away from Windows XP today, and those who bemoan the removal of the Windows Classic Theme starting with Windows 7. They will attempt to create alternatives because why fix what isn't broken?

Linux Mint is literally the only major distro to use Cinnamon, and there isn't even an Official Ubuntu spin-off that uses it. I would use MATE as a much better example of something created by those who don't like gnome3 seeing as unlike Cinnamon it doesn't attempt to change things up greatly. It's a weird ass replacement for gnome2, whereas MATE looks just like gnome except it's actually getting updates. And while Ubuntu MATE is popular, it's also the only major distro I know of that includes MATE ootb. Most distros that have a default go for gnome3, lxde, xfce, etc etc, but not Cinnamon, and not MATE. I understand that with gnome3 they are attempting to literally reinvent the wheel and to fix what wasn't broken, it was a dramatic shift done for no real reason.

But if gnome3 had been created by someone else, I don't think that people would have been nearly as harsh on it. It's just because it was the successor to a DE that had originally been the traditional desktop metaphor.

gnome 3 with minor tweaking is really close to unity. Dash to dock, smaller title bars and global menu.
If canonical devs wont be able to develop extensions required to recreate unity that way there is no hope for this company.

Is this a joke?

it's sarcasm

Is this a joke?

Gnome is better than Unity,desu. The keyboard shortcuts are a thousand times more productive than those in Unity.

>le reddit gifs

could be a grill