Website shows "1 year ago" instead of a timestamp like 3/15/2016

>website shows "1 year ago" instead of a timestamp like 3/15/2016
Why do web """developers""" do this imprecise faggot shit like I can't calculate dates? Cut it the fuck out

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/HTML/Element/time
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

And the worst part is it usually shows 1 year ago even if it's 1 year and 11 months

Muh minimalism

>timestamp like 3/15/2016
>not epoch

>when was this post made
>a moment ago
>not that long ago
>a while ago

J U S T

It's easier to read at a glance. There should be a way of showing a real date by f.ex. hovering or clicking the text though.

On some sites there is but not all, and the inconsistency is part of the reason it's so enraging

>website shows "1 year ago" instead of a timestamp like 3/15/2016
>instead of a timestamp like 3/15/2016
>3/15/2016

Ameriposter
They do mm/dd/yyyy

15/3/2016 for those of you living in The Caliphate of Yurop

>3/15/2016

why not 1 year, 3 months, 2 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes ago on (DATE)

Because if someone save the site it will keep the wrong time.

>3/15/2016
Not valid

why don't we make dynamic time stamps
like if I saved your post that was 52 minutes ago and took a screenshot of it and viewed the .jpg 2 minutes later it would show 54 minutes ago instead of two

present vs since/past

wat

Stop saving sites.

No

like if i took a screenshot of your post that showed 5 minutes ago and i used snipping tool to take a screen shot and opened it 15 minutes later

the image would dynamically update and show 20 minutes ago instead of 5

>the image would dynamically update
That wouldn't be an image, retard.

Current state of Sup Forums posters

>snipping tool
Oh wait, are you a wintard? That explains the retardness.

yeah why don't you program it into .jpg2 or .png2 nerds

Good, only normies know what date it is

Just stop

literally

The target audience are not autists who refer to everything by absolute date. Everyday language uses relative dates and sites emulate that, so if you feel like chimping out, REEE about imprice timestamping in everyday use, not websites mirroring the practice.

>web """developers"""
Fuck off. It's not developers who are decided to made this. Blame designers/managers.
t. Web-devloper.

>Posted about 20 minutes ago
fuck you twitter

Am I crazy for thinking there should just be a singleton tag that is processed by the browser, allowing you to set rendering settings to whatever date format you want. That doesn't sound too complicated and it does sound useful.

Now the browser reads this and renders it as text but it could be relative "1 minute ago" if I choose, or some formatted absolute time "2017/06/02 | 7:33AM", like how every GUI clock works.

You could write a RFC for the W3C but they might ask you to add DRM and get sponsored by Google and Netflix before considering it.

You forgot timezone.

developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Web/HTML/Element/time

damn

>

This. If I look at a timestamp I'll also look at the current time/date as a reference and know that the timestamp is from 'a couple of hours ago'. This just removes that step.

If it's data of any importance a proper timestamp is required but the end user shouldn't care about the exact timestamp of a social media post.

>2017
atheists and mohammeds get angry at that buddy
also, what if I am on ISS

>but the end user shouldn't care about the exact timestamp of a social media post
>t. Millennial

There should also be a default text displayed between the time tag for older browsers.

Too long.

That's not really what he wanted.

2/06/2017 7:33 AM

Swatch internet time will be standard in my lifetime, I will make it so.

Neat. There just needs to be some clientside formatting applied to it and for people to adopt it. (never ever)

You tell me. We could probably use Unix epoch time.

Use an "alt" attribute like for images, or specify text to be replaced like this so it couldn't be a singleton I guess.

>We could probably use Unix epoch time.
Not practical outside of computing

>timezone=0
What?

UTC+0, what do you think

>a timestamp like 3/15/2016
>not god tier YYYY-MM-DD 2016-03-15

I don't know about you but I usually rely on computers to generate and parse html.

I find that it's usually enough information if they give the most significant unit AND the second most significant unit, like
>1 year, 11 months ago
>9 months, 14 days ago
>14 days, 3 hours ago
>8 hours, 24 minutes ago
>5 minutes, 8 seconds ago
> 12 seconds ago (feel free to go turbo autist on this one and display milliseconds)

"June 2nd, 2017" is better to not confuse anyone

Are you retarded?
Did the doctor drop you on your head when you were born?

why can't technology progress?

You have absolutely no clue what an image is.

why don't they upgrade .jpg or .png? why doesn't technology progress?

"If I ask what people wanted they'd would of have said faster horses" -warren buffet

Everyone told you to stop using Reddit.

This guy wants an image.exe

I prefer that actually, as long as actual timestamp is available on hover. Bonus points if original dom had timestamps only and js rewrote them after load.

yyyy/mm/dd/
Master race

>not seconds since 1-1-1970
pleb

>seconds
>not milliseconds

>chan.co.uk

YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss master of the universe race

Sauce?