/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com/

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>How to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

CPUs:
>G4560 - budget builds (R5 1500x - generally all you need for 60fps with power to spare. No i5
>R5 1600 - best value for higher fps gaming & mixed usage; 1600x if you too lazy to OC
>i7-7700k - bad value but good for higher FPS; may have heat issues
>R7/Xeon/Threadripper/i9 - compute/Multitask/mixed use

Graphics:
>G4560 iGPU is fine for desktop stuff and very light game
>1050/Ti for low budget. Drop settings if not Freesync/Gsync on newer games; RX560 if discounted
>RX570 4GB - 1080p@60+hz, running most maxed; older games at 144+hz
>RX580 8GB - 1440p@60+hz, inject SMAA & drop settings
>1060 - Generally outperformed by the RX 580 and GSync costs more; consider if AMD is not an option (ie CUDA)
>1070 - 1080p@90-144hz/1440p@100+hz
>1080 - 1080p@100-144+hz maxed; 1440p at lower hz.
>1080Ti - 1440p@90-144+hz; 4k@60hz in SOME games, more at lower settings
>Freesync2 & Vega soon

General:
>READ PRODUCT REVIEWS to see if that cheap SSD/PSU or whatever is reliable
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX board + case is often cheaper
>1 SR DIMM is slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MBby2R
pcpartpicker.com/product/2pnG3C/gigabyte-ga-ab350-gaming-3-atx-am4-motherboard-ga-ab350-gaming-3
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=124&sort=-rating&m=8,18,27&L=4
pcpartpicker.com/list/49Kn4C
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144031
pcpartpicker.com/list/h2RLLD
youtube.com/watch?v=3BYAdyO9nZo
pcpartpicker.com/list/37y83F
asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/
pcpartpicker.com/list/VCKn4C
youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc
pcpartpicker.com/list/fcPv7h
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

10500 in 3d mark 11 - is it okay for modern games?
it's in demo performance mode

/pcbg/ irc where?

How laggy is the pentium g4560? Im gonna build a small silent pc for mainly drawing and coding. I want overhead so that its not getting maxed out by watching 4k video and stuff like that. I dont really game but i do like to have a lot of stuff open at once (20 tabs firefox, music player, krita (photoshop) and a torrenter). Are the r3's worth waiting for| when are they getting released|

There is none. And it shall stay that way.
There's no reason for us to communicate outside this thread.
Such things also create cliques that destroy threads with shitposts.
See most other generals with discord links.

Sup Forumsuys, I need reliable cheap HDD for storage.
What should I get?

I'm considering to buy 2 1TB WD BLUE
Is it OK? Or should I get something else?

p.s. I heard HGST and WD are botnets
Is there non botnet reliable HDD?

Still taking advice concerning my new build. Why exactly would I get b350m instead of this one and how the fuck do I choose correct RAM?

why are you worried about botnet?

are you using windows 10 and an intel cpu?

You have way bigger problems than HDDs as far as hardware backdoors go.

Hey

Looking for some advice or input. I'm building a pc for my dad to do 2d cad work on, needs to render textures quickly im not too sure on the extent but I know it won't be too strenuous.

This is what I've got picked uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/MBby2R

How's it look? I think I'd go with a quadro p400 2gb the one listed is just a stand in at a similar price point

The budget is about right at £1000 all in, we're in the UK

Thanks

that ram is pre overclocked, make sure that motherboard supports it.

i dont know much about AMDs new stuff, but with intel if you dont have a Z motherboard you cant overclock the ram or cpu.

make sure your motherboard supports overclocking and supports that speed of ram. the manufacturer should have a page dedicated to specifications, bios updates and all.

Should be fine. Unless it's 4k 60fps. That may cause issue if you're trying to draw at the same time.
There's no certainty in that tho. More guesstimates.
Seagate should be pretty cheep.

Dude on craigslist selling an EVGA 1080ti for 450 bucks. Total overkill, but I wanted to upgrade anyway and that's an absolute steal.

Here's my build, capture card not included. A wattage calculator estimated I'd need 509 watts, and I've had a 620 watt in my build for four years now. I'd like reassurance though, do I have the juice to power that thing?

Nah, I'm on linux with AMD CPU

I get that, but there's a fuckton of mobos out there and there's no guide on how to select the proper one when gaymen and OCing... Halp ples!

Guess it's help if I posted the sodding build.

how good then would a gt1030 be? seems alright but also because of the 0db factor

guy from yesterday with first build that struggled to display something on monitor here

yess it really was that simple, only connect monitor directly to GPU

anyway now it shows on screen:
>reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I can't access BIOS no matter what key on keyboard I press, it only shows the same message again

as I forgot to buy a CD reader I guess I have to go out and buy one now and then insert the windows CD, amirite?

>use UBS stick
the only one I have is more than 10 years old with what, 128 megs? I just never needed them

Yeah, but minimizing size of botnet sounds better than increasing it

But isn't seagate like one of least reliable HDDs?

so i guess figure out what exactly you need.

what do you plan to do with it?

There was a bad run of common units, but they're not really much less reliable anymore. I had a Seagate in operation for about 7 years without any hiccups. It still works, I just wanted more space.

Recommend me a budget motherboard for my ryzen 1600?

I heard gigabyte can't run linux so that's out

MSI tomohawk any good at reaching 3200mhz ram with smasung b die?

anything asrock

>know it won't be too strenuous.
OK. Swap to AMD R5 1600. Literally any of the cheapest am4 motherboards that has a heatsink on the VRM (bit in between the cpu socket and the rear usb ports).
Drop the samsung SSD for a Kingston UV400
Put a proper graphics card in it. See the OP
Hit up ebay for a keyboard and mouse.
Should have saved some cash, and also have a more usable graphics card.

I went the 6core CPU because longevity of the system. You can go with a R5 1500X and save even more.

Gaymen and coding.

I need a super cheap intrusion protection system that can handle around 500Mb/s bandwidth from 16 concurrent users. Detection rules would be limited to signature and anomaly-based.
Any advice?

Guys do I really have to OC my 1600? Or will stock performance be good enough?

It'll handle it. Also get more RAM. New AAA titles will eat it.
You'll also want a higher res screen at somepoint.

I caved and bought an Acer xb270hu
Feels poor man

should i pirate windows 7 ultimate or windows 10?

You'll be gaming, so 0db GPU's are not really an advantage. I've got a 10606gb that's quieter than my case fans at idol. And need to be 60%+ speed for them to be louder.
Things are a lot quieter now.

I haven't seen benches for them either. But I think you would benefit more from a 1050ti.
They're damn near the performance of a 1060 3gb.*
*Keeping in mind for draw distance you need to follow the pi ratio. so perceivable difference between the two is minimal yada yada yada

msi b350 gaming pro carbon is your best bet

At some point in time. What I'd really like to do is build an entirely new system, but money's tight, you know? A top of the line card for 450 dollars just isn't something I can pass up though. Hell, I anticipated spending 400 on a 1070 anyway.

Benches for the 1030*

Why?

Oh, speccy didn't even pick up my primary monitor. That's weird. The one in the picture is my secondary, my primary is a 1080p.

I wouldn't either. DDR3 should be fairly cheep right now that no new systems use it. Also check Ebay for them.
8 will hold you out. Come to think of it. Fuck the ram. You got a 1080 Ti. That fucker pulls more than enough frames :D

pcpartpicker.com/product/2pnG3C/gigabyte-ga-ab350-gaming-3-atx-am4-motherboard-ga-ab350-gaming-3

this one is cheaper. same stuff.

pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=124&sort=-rating&m=8,18,27&L=4

alternate list
pcpartpicker.com/list/49Kn4C

im not that person, but by the looks of it the Msi b350 Gaming pro carbon has more power phases.

your motherboard will be cooler as each phase takes turn, will overclock easier with more stability.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144031

the little boxes the left of the socket.

pcpartpicker.com/list/h2RLLD

How's it look lads? Is the 1070 worth getting instead of the 580? Is the jump in price worth it? Also, do Nvidia cards play nice with ryzen?

After six or so they have negligible effect.
See youtube.com/watch?v=3BYAdyO9nZo
He's pretty clued on to this. Also any of his teardowns are very educational.

If you have to ask, then stock's fine.

Great. I'll look into those recommendations. Thanks for taking the time

I would spend some more money on the mobo to get the asrock pro4. Now is also a very bad time to get amd gpus because of the sudden mining hype.

Hey Sup Forums

PURPOSE: I'm a security researcher and sometimes I have to use tons of applications at the same time, virtual machines, high demand scripts... And my current setup is kinda blocking the performance and crashes...
BUDGET: 2.5k€
State: Portugal
GAMES/SOFTWARE: AoE II (\m/)
GRAPHICS: I not really interested in high grafics (And I don't use GPU for cracking), I just need the ability to connect 2 monitors at least...
Clarify goal: improved specs

Where are the best cases? How to know what is the best cpu for virtualization?
(I still need to read with detail the installgentoo link).

Thanks guys.

Where do I check the amount of power phases on a mobo?

>i dont know much about AMDs new stuff, but with intel if you dont have a Z motherboard you cant overclock the ram or cpu.
Only the A320 and A300 chipsets don't support overclocking.

See He may not have looked into certain boards. But you should learn enough to find a picture and be able to tell for yourself.
It's very educational.

The pro4 would be roughly the same price for me, if not cheaper. I heard both gigabyte and ASRock make solid ryzen motherboards, and the gaming 3 has a dual bios in case the original gets fucked up (which has happened to me before). Is the pro4 (not fatality edition) still worth it?

Would a 1070 work well with the ryzen? Is it worth the extra hundred bucks for ~400 mhz increase?

I don't know what you want your pc for. If it's gaming then the 1070 should be better than the 580 since the 580 is amds counterpart to the 1060 I think. So if you want to spend the extra money for more power then go for the 1070. There won't be any issues with the ryzen cpu. There are a few memes flying around but there is no issue afaik.

>You'll be gaming
not at all, my original post i said anything but gaming really. Ill just wait for the rest of ryzen for now, amd used to have good igpus so well see

Sweet, thanks.

Mostly looking at gaming/some 3D work. Gaming will be at 1080/1440p so honestly either of the two gpus should be fine, I just want the gpu to be relevant as long as possible (so I don't have to upgrade soon)

The Pentium had a integrated GPU. You don't need a card.

can't really help you with that. Wait for more responses.

my point was about how strong it is, someone else said it might struggle with 4k 60fps video while doing other stuff. I question even the pentiums cpu performance let alone the gpu

At $25, I don't know. But at $30-$35 there are lots of superior options like the Cryorig H7 and loads of Scythe coolers.

3d mark is not representative of actual games, but yes probably.

Depends on the game.
In many games it stays above 60fps perfectly fine.
In others it bottlenecks an RX570 or GTX 1060, and dips to under 30fps at times.

Most motherboard manufactures have a QVL, qualified vendors list, on their site that lists speeds achieved with various RAM.
I would generally just recommend getting the cheapst 3000 or 3200, though. If it only runs at 2666 or 2800, that's really not a huge deal. RAM usually only becomes a bottleneck with a high end card, or in something like Civ VI or Dwarf Fortress. Most of the time you're going to be heavily GPU bottlenecked.

If you're getting a G4560 and not gaming it makes more sense to spend the money on a big cooler like Le Grande Macho.
Yes the CPU is going to run hotter using the iGPU, but with a 140w TDP+ cooler on that little it's still going to keep super quiet.
The GTX 1030 I believe is only around 2-3x the performance of the iGPU on the G4560. It's so weak and not worth it. If quiet is what you're after, you just need an overpowered cooler on the G4560.

Are there any other cases where the entire thing is a giant heatsink so you don't need any fans? I love the idea behind this case but whoever decided on this "open" design deserves a slap.

My motherboard didn't have any internal speakers, I want to be able to listen to beep codes without headphones/ external speakers
Can I buy a part to add?
I don't know if it's supported.
I have the asrock ab350 k4 gaming board

It might be disabled by default so check that in your settings. Otherwise any speaker like this will work.

yes, motherboard speaker. its only one not two. useless thing imo

That's CPU limited. Sorry. The card will do more live processing things, than unpacking YouTube feeds and playing media.
You should be fine.
But what can be done is jumping up to a Pentium G4600/4620. The extra few hundred Mhz will clear the requirements you have for sure.
The uncertainty is that there's not that many real metrics done on the Pentiums other than gaming. So we have to estimate what it can do.
You may wish to have a look around for display cards, rather than gaming ones. But there's not many that can compete on price against the 1030 for some bizarre reason.

Yeah, dust sucks for those open things. No, there aren't alternatives that I'm away of. Calyos has been working on that for a while and it works extremely well, but yeah it's a dumb case design.
They should have made 140x280mm passive radiators you can fit to various cases. Obviously wouldn't cool as well, but the cooling they have there is actually really overkill, especially for something that's power efficient like Ryzen.

You can just get large heatsinks. There's also the complicated option of using refrigerant with a radiator and vaporizer.

the only other display card seems to be the 710 and thats weaker than the on board iirc.

here is this a better "if i was rich" fantasy build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/37y83F

psu is overkill
weird selection of disks
case could be more extravagant
you've never heard of dual CPU Xeon boards

Yes, a 710 is weaker than the iGPU of the G4560.

asus.com/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG35VQ/
>200hz
>1440p
>ultrawide
>HDR10
>quantum dot
>full array local dimming
>VA

other than the gaymen aesthetics is this the perfect monitor?

Find the most expensive board of another socket type and you're right.

i have heard of duel xeon builds but i gave myself a limit of 10,000 and i like the look of the case very "tardis"

and the disks i went mostly for storage over anything else since i woulds imagine being rish i would have gigabit internet and would be downloading alot

>change socket

then i would have to change the CPU

I thought it was a mocking the wealthy build.

no this is actually what i would build if i was rich

I mean, if you're going to spend that much on a PSU, you'd better get Seasonic Prime with 80+ titanium rating.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VCKn4C

so like this? cause i do like seasonic much better than EVGA

You should purchase Windows 7 Ultimate so Nanami knows you love her.

Which motherboard manufacturer is better, MSI or ASRock?

Gigabyte or ASUS ?

>very "tardis"
What the fuck has happened to the police box since Matt Smelevenith got canned?

Yeah, that's better. You're wasting money anyway, so you might as well get the best product on market.

ASRock

There's a difference between 'if I was wealthy', and 'if I was born into a incestuous billionaires family'.
Would you really go, lol fuck it. and spend on thoes items. Or would you see that there's no real personal need and go for something high end. But balanced.

I'd just like threadripper. With descent parts. But I'd also work on a phaze change cooling gaming rig on the side.
It's a tweek on the ultimate rich fag system. That's not just link related.
youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

well im not actually buying it like i said its a fantasy build

nothing but the exterior is a non issue since it can change pretty much at will

Sup guys. I'm having an issue right now it's kicking my ass. I have a few rx 480s that I'm putting into my mobo's pcie slot using a pcie 3 to 1 riser connection, but the computer won't boot if I use pcie 1.0 slots 2 and 3. It only works if I use slot 1. Any experience with this?

6 gigs ram
4 rx 480's
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-D3HP
Windows 7

I thought it broke and he never bothered fixing it, or did he fix it but just never turn it back on? Either way your case is weak and you should feel bad.

liek i said i like the look of it nothing else is very important to me other than not having a window

pcpartpicker.com/list/fcPv7h

EIGHTY-EIGHT(88) CORES.

the motherboard clearly has 2x x16 slots so pcpartpicker is lying about only taking one titan, it can totally do two

good luck finding a compatible water cooler, you will probably need custom shit

I only filled half of the RAM slots

it fits the same case, interestingly

The storage would be SAS or some other high end shit, not SATA, but I don't feel like researching it right now

Budget all in would probably be like 25 grand

Personally, I wouldn´t go for that kind of graphics card. I would just get a 1050. and probably go with Ryzen at the same pricepoint. other than that it looks fine.

as the other user mentioned, AsRock has teh best budget cards. I have the AB350m Pro 4, hich is really cheap. and had no problems with it so far.

You don't HAVE to. But it´s so easy, safe and you get a good perfomance boost that it is very recommended.
wait for i9, Threadripper/Epyc

Same/same, but usually AsRock uses better components at the same pricepoint.

>tfw the seller raised the price to 500 dollars

Well I don't want it THAT bad. May as well double my ram and get the more appropriate card if that's the price.

How do I reliably get a copy of Windows 10 w/o buying?

pirate windows 7, upgrade for free to win10. dumbass.

KMSpico of course.

>Windows 10
>reliable

Pick one.

>88 cores
>88 threads

>intel scaling is so shit that a single Epyc cpu will shit on that

msi b350m pro-vdh vs msi b350m gaming pro vs ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS

prices are 90 euros, 105 euros and 120 euros

ASUS has the best VRM, but I'm gonna be running only 6 cores on r5 1600.

Please advise.

>non ECC memory
lel

I like ASUS. I would get ASUS. But if you are on a budget get MSI.

I'm on a budget, else I would just get the msi big 4+2 VRM boards like krait and carbon...

The gaming plus, mortar and tomahawk have the same VRMs, just less chokes.