BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs

Curious Linux user? Ask questions, get answers, ignore shitposts.

Other urls found in this thread:

michaelwlucas.com/tools/relayd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Michael W. Lucas recently released a new book: Relayd and Httpd Master

michaelwlucas.com/tools/relayd

Anyone already got that one?

Aren't the man pages good enough?

lol

I'm trying to multiboot with OpenBSD but the Ubuntu GRUB isn't recognizing the partition. Tips?

>shitposting

>needing a lawyer to code

As a Linux user, my question about BSD is: why?

You want to

Does BSD have drivers that let you boot its kernel from EFI or uboot?

Just wondering because basically everything sold now uses EFI or uboot.

I mean, I'm not gonna use it either way but I'm pretty sure you can't boot from EFI with a BSD kernel right?

I know OpenBSD does, don't know about the others

I just checked it out, it uses two different boot loaders before it loads the kernel lol.

Yes, FreeBSD has had an EFI bootloader for years.

xD that's so funny

DragonflyBSD added EFI support recently.

Thinking about switching to OpenBSD. Is it possible to get some form of pci-passthrough working..similiar to how it is done on Linux with QEMU/KVM? Possibly with bhyve? Currently on Gentoo.

Yeah you can, but you need to use the Xen bootloader.

OpenBSD is just a meme now, they're all politics no code. Use FreeBSD or Dragonfly, that's where the innovation is happening.

How does FreeBSD compare to Slackware?

Kek, since when?

hey Anons, i installed TrueOS to try BSD, the problem is it's eating so much RAM. Nothing is open but RAM is 2100/3072 Mib while Linux is around 500~ when nothing opened. Is it because Lumina DE? Or is it because BSD uses more RAM in general?

its because BSD in general only performs well on the machines of the developers

What you've just described is literally FreeBSD, they've always been about politics and code of conducts. OpenBSD has literally always been about producing quality code

TrueOS comes with everything pre installed to make it easier for the end user, but whenever I've used it, it idles at around 300-500mb of RAM, check your processes

>Even BSDtards are doing their distro flamewars

Restarted, it's around 900Mib now and i don't see anything stange in task manager
900Mib isn't that bad though

Installing OpenBSD on qemu as I write this. I'm going to install gcc and binutils first and see if I can get anything out of it. How to get comfy on this OS?

You mean in VirtualBox on developers' macbooks.

Can someone explain to me what's the point of creating their own httpd in 2015, do they have nothing better to do? Nginx is miles ahead, and it's already licensed under BSD license, so it looks like a total waste of time.

You do realize that none of the BSDs actually do that and that you're fanboying like the biggest retard right?

lol u dont need dat
stick with a 386 or else you won't be invited to our secret club IRC

bsd only EXISTS to do pseudo distro wars since 100% of their loserbase is ex-linux hipsters

re-inventing the already free wheel is what bsd shits do because this is what happens when you have too much welfare, they turn free software into a shitty game about who is using the most obscure and shittiest software

900 MB is really bad because it shows you have fallen for the meme. your OS should take up at least 2 GB of memory or else it's most likely some contrarian garbage.

It's necessary since OpenBSD devs are incapable of cooperating with anyone, as was shown numerous times in practice.

probably because they felt like it

have you used it? it's really nice and easy to configure

niginx is nice and easy to configure too, and it's also more secure since it's been used in production for years now and has a company behind it Meanwhile, openbsd https is probably written by one guy with a lot of free time on his hands, will never see actual production use and is a new and completely unnecessary attack vector to introduce to the system.

ebin

Stop acting like FreeBSD is all of the BSDs.

Why not? Ultimately you'll find as many answers as there are BSD users, but mostly it comes down to the fact explained with the following: The modern *BSDs are what you get if you let a bunch of Unix hackers port BSD to x86, whereas Linux is what you get if you let a bunch of PC hackers write a Unix-like OS from the ground up.

Please don't give BePawsome any (You)s. He's a shitposter and a furry who just wants attention because his hikineet life has little else to offer.

The FreeBSD GENERIC kernel is just around 96MB, and the base install userland takes maybe 1MB.

I've been dealing with his pathetic ass for years, no need for the introduction.

Because, in their view, none of the httpds that are in OpenBSDs ports fit the OpenBSD mission statement, to wit: "Our efforts emphasize portability, standardization, correctness, proactive security and integrated cryptography."
Whether they're successful is only something time will tell.

Hello, Dr Shill.