What's your go-to syntax color scheme?

What's your go-to syntax color scheme?

Everything that I've come across so far has been subpar.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisenaire_rods).
vimcolors.com/
nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=1467
github.com/romainl/Apprentice
docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://www.ppig.org/sites/default/files/2015-PPIG-26th-Sarkar.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hello sir I use gruvbox
thank you, come again

gruvbox works for me. Some people hate it because it looks like mud.

You seem to have a font-rendering issue

Base16 along with a terminal base16 color replacement for consistency. Usually London tube but I change it up from time to time.

is a london tube a hollow cylinder?

I have no fucking idea I just like the bright as fuck colors. I program mostly via color when I get into it.

is that pic vim + tmux?

>using syntax highlighting

None

>Doing things inefficiently for the sake of it.

Lol, NEETs.

>inefficiently

B R A I N L E T
R
A
I
N
L
E
T

When you read books do you need the sentences hilighted too?

I just have black text on a white background, like a book

I should probably make comments and strings a different color but I haven't gotten to it

Rob Pike doesn't use syntax highlighting

topkek

Stupidest fucking thing I've heard in weeks

Just because it's harder to use doesn't mean it's harder to use for good reason. Quite literally nothing is different except your ability to parse what you're trying to change.

You aren't a "brainlet" because you don't manually perform all the arithmetic in your head and calculate hexadecimal codes to make characters appear on the screen. Nor is that even an argument.

Eliminating redundancy is the fundamental reason computers exist and what they accomplish.

You want to take the log out of your eye before you call someone else stupid?

A book is an intangible piece of literature.

If the words in a book dictated how a machine functioned and it was your job to change these words to make it work then yes I would prefer to have certain words be highlighted

Atom has the best default color scheme. The default color scheme on Sublime looks like literal shit, so I change it to Blackboard and then change the background and select-highlight color in the config. I just take a color picker and copy the background and select-highlight color from gedit's Oblivion color scheme.

Anyone who doesn't use syntax highlighting is better at parsing code than you by definition

Should he not be? Is he more efficient without syntax highlighting?

Rob Pike has been programming since computers were made of wood and had pixels the size of post-it notes. I think these things are a little lost on him

Yeah (no you retard) and Usain Bolt is a faster runner than me but that doesn't mean it's not stupid to run to the grocery store whenever you need something to eat

I mean he's mostly more efficient because he wrote his text editor/"IDE" specifically for himself ( acme as seen in
)

Sprinting to the grocery store would be a great way to get in some exercise in your daily life

He'd still be faster if words were highlighted

Why do you want to argue with this

>He'd still be faster if words were highlighted

No because he can actually read code and some annoying colors would not help

There is no inherent advantage to highlighting code, it is a shortcut for people who do not want to learn to read it themselves.

Your problem here is that you are bad at reading code, and so from your point of view, so must everyone else.

>ITT spergs who have nothing better to do with their time arguing about fucking syntax coloring

Why am I on this website

Syntax highlighting is juvenile. When I was a child, I was taught arithmetic using colored rods (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisenaire_rods). I grew up and today I use monochromatic numerals.

zenburn or solarized dark

Oh, so the colors make it harder to read.

Here's an argument of some kind.

The problem is that you didn't evaluate how or why this was supposed to be the case. Please justify how variables being a different color makes it harder to read.

>There is no inherent advantage to highlighting code
Reading it more easily

What, are you saying it's not like that for everyone? It describes fundamental rules of visual hierarchy and how the brain works.

>Your problem here is that you are bad at reading code, and so from your point of view, so must everyone else.
Yeah and a chef is just "bad at finding ingredients" because he doesn't keep everything in the same cupboard. And him being bad at finding things also means it's a bad idea to be efficient.

Fuck off you brainlet pseud

Link me this research into human visual processing that suggests that color coding types of symbols helps anyone do anything. What is this based on?

This really needs to be broken down to you?

Things in your field of vision of different description stand out to you. Stop signs are bright red octogons because they stand out from everything else and you can instantly recognise them. Lions are light beige so they can blend into the grassy fields and sneak up on prey, this is the equivalent of all text standing out in the same way

As for the specific colors, you can mostly just do what they want but some of them follow rules of some kind. Errors are red because red immediately shouts "danger" and stands out to you, types tend to be somewhat close to the background but still dark because they dictate something but what that actually is which is way more important is highlighted as something else

not him, but i tend to do that in my mind since i lose my spot more often than i'd like.

neon syntax. Its comfy as fuck at night.

>What's your go-to syntax color scheme?
this one. it's a patrician theme. all those Christmas lights looking themes make me puke.

fite me.

You're just making assumptions, you're saying it's inherently useful entirely on assumptions. Well I am too, and I don't think anything but maybe red for error is useful. Even then I'd argue it's overall misleading and distracting and you'll get better at writing code without it because only seeing errors after pressing compile is some serious negative conditioning

Very elegant. Syntax name?

It's opening myself up to complete mockery, but I just use the default in VS Code. Because it's decent and I just get down to work instead of worrying too much. Interested to see what others use to try though.

How do you rice acme editor?
I thought the whole editor including the colors and the font were hardcoded.

> today I use monochromatic numerals
> Not being synesthete
user please...

>be me
>come to this thread expecting comfy screenshots and dank recommends
>see only asspained ad hominem
Sup Forums is dead

I'm using solarized atm it's kind of balls tho

I like github. Been using a white (well grey) background for a while now but I'm thinking of returning to a dark background. Problem is a lack of consistency - you switch from your editor to your browser and you're blinded.

I have been using whatever came default with Xfce. Pretty sure the background and cursor is Xfce-terminal default, not sure of the syntax is also or part of default Vim.

I like apprentice.

vimcolors.com/
You might find this useful.

There's some allocimage() calls in acme.c where the colors are set, replace them with
>allocimage(display, Rect(0,0,1,1), RGBA32, 1, 0x002b36FF);
for example to make them RGB. Change the value between 0x and FF to the RGB value of your choice, play around and see what's what

>I thought the whole editor including the colors and the font were hardcoded

A lot of Plan 9 stuff is, under the assumption that, combined with well written code and easy to understand programmed interfaces, that editing your system is fast and easy. Even on Linux, editing plan9port is for the most part fast and easy

Oh but the font isn't hardcoded that would be ridiculous. On 9front it looks at $font but on Linux you just have to settle for using -f

If you need to eat should you really be using energy?

Probably

has to be default

I ain't changing that shit on every terminal I come across. And making it "yours" is just retarded

>programming at random terminals

So you're an indian that works at a code shop and gets assigned a desk when you sign in right?

the name's Sanjay, tyvm

fluctuate between light and dark themes. don't really have a favorite if im honest. i know i do hate the dark as my soul ones.

Beautiful, user. font name?

I'm using my own.

nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=1467
it's amazing how much effort some people put into customizing the colors of an application.

it's actually trivial though

fuck off sutist

One that I strole

Dude, we're talking about syntax highlighting. As in, programming. It is beyond trivial, it's barely more complex than a config file with badly worded entries. If you're here, it shouldn't even seem difficult. If it does, go away

Lesson: Read your posts before you submit them

The image is from Apprentice's github page. I don't think it says which font is used.
github.com/romainl/Apprentice

>ricing acme

I was just turning it solarized to make it a bit more bearable, but then that was really boring, so I added cyan highlights to make it more reminiscent of the original.

Pic related, boring unriced solarized acme.

>Jarjar
Explain yourself user

Bonus: solarized dark acme

What font is this?

do me a solid and :colorscheme to see what it's called

find that file.vim in /usr/share/vim/colors/ and or wherever and copypaste if you're feeling extra benevolent

You're probably one of them user.

I really like solarized light but I've noticed different editors actually have different colours and that annoys me.

Editors using toolkits may be color calibrated

What is the name of that scheme?

gruvbox all the way

Yeah solarized just looks like puke.

Stop commenting out code.

No

>if{
>}else;

Why?

> Spacemacs-light
> rainbow-blocks mode
Hadn't tried it with python yet, but it's great for tcl and lisp
There are also syntax highlighting modes which give the same word the same color across all your code. I think in vim there are context-highlighting plugins which do this, but I moved to spacemacs and it serves its purpose.

>There is no inherent advantage to highlighting code
I can't believe people actually believe this

Here you go definitely-a-smart man

docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://www.ppig.org/sites/default/files/2015-PPIG-26th-Sarkar.pdf

Monokai forever, bitch.

this

solarized8

For me it's Monokai, the best color scheme.

>this
morning: LAZY
afternoon: Monokai
night: One Dark

I use wal, it's by the neofetch guy

Solarized Light, because astigmatism

I caught that later. This is an old project and I can't remember why the hell I put that in there.

At random intervals the program will loudly play a sound bite of jarjar binks yelling meesa. The joke is the file name for it is binks.jar

Terminus

dark gruvbox is comfiest

Monokai has a brown background color and looks like literal shit, you all are just too lazy to change the Sublime default color scheme

Also Monokai doesnt highlight tabs with unsaved changes in Sublime, Blackboard does. Just change the background color of Blackboard in the config file and you have a better color scheme

>you all are just too lazy to change the Sublime default color scheme
Yeha nah, I don't use Sublime.

anything with light background otherwise I get eye cancer