Why do young people feel entitled to own hardware without any legal obligations...

Why do young people feel entitled to own hardware without any legal obligations? If a company creates a product they have the right to license that hardware to you under certain legal restrictions to protect their brand and their brand image.

Good thread buddy. One day I'll tell my children about it.

Let me guess, you're also against second hand sales because that deprives the original company of additional profit?

Kill yourself, I really do mean it.

Because it's the young people who are using it.

"Why do people feel entitled to own their cars?"

Bullshit.

If you sell me something then it's mine and I can do exactly what I want with it.

If I rent a car then it's different, I'm renting it, I don't own it and I don't have the right to do whatever I want with that rental car.

If a company rents out a product then they need to state that very clearly and charge accordingly. But that's not what you're talking about here, you use the term "own hardware" which implies that it's sold. The company that sold it has zero rights after they've handed someone else ownership over it.

They're not handing you ownership, they are just licensing it to you under certain terms and conditions.

What about that little pink slip of paper that says you legally own the vehicle?

if they license it to me, i don't own it. and there's nothing wrong with that if i want to obtain a license to use a product.
if i buy a product on the other hand, i want to own it.

Is a physical copy of a game something I own or something licensed to me?

>They're not handing you ownership
Stop lying, they are trying to sell you the product and own it too. You can't have it both ways.

It's interesting that quite a few big corporations have the practice of selling you a hardware product and then they present a software license once you turn it on. This is illegal in the EU which means that if you buy a laptop and you don't like the Windows license then you're entitled to a full refund. The same applies to all Apple products.

I'm a GNU/Linux user so I never see those requests to accept some license anyway. Not that it matters for those who just click on through since they are not legally binding contracts.

the latter in 99.5% of the cases

Licensed to you

Well times are changing and I think we are starting to see a new milestone that reflects that.
Big businesses are starting to finally have equal rights, and with that, the right to protect their brand image.

it's not about brand images, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

>Big businesses are starting to finally have equal rights, and with that, the right to protect their brand image.

I cannot fathom why you would even make this thread.
You know full well you don't believe the things you're saying and they're not even that anger inducing.

Tell that to Enzo Ferrari.

Well at least one person here agrees. I suppose the voice of reason is not all lost.

Yes it is about brand image. You don't have the right to misrepresent a product or associate a negative image with an item that is licensed to you. Companies spend billions of dollars on marketing, you don't have the right to come along and work against that or misrepresent their image. It's very similar to defamation of character.

You're making an argument that you shouldn't be allowed to own things that you buy.
So I assert that you shouldn't be entitled to your own brand image no matter how many billions you blow on marketing.
In fact, why stop there?
Who says you should be entitled to OWN MONEY AT ALL?

Because I work hard to earn money and expect to own something fully once I pay. The company needs to find a new way to make money; something more honest because I make an honest living. The market is ripe with alternatives and the trend for products without legal repercussions is increasing. The companies stuck in the past will fall apart. Good.

You don't own money actually, it belongs to the US Treasury. That's why the Federal Government can seize your assets if you commit a serious crime. Same principle applies.

What if I buy it second hand?

you seem to have a hard time understanding the difference between buying a product and buying a license to use a product.

You agree to certain terms and conditions every time you use a product or open a package all the time, whether you realize it or not.

Well, if they have and use the right to "license" their hardware to me while making me pay full price, I also have and will use my right to not buy it.

Dude, you're a dumbass. That's not how it works, you little shit.

thats not the point ?

One day, someone is going to rob the shit outta you and you're going to let them cause you're a dumbass.

This is simple.

When you buy a phone:

You have to earn some goddamn cash
You are spending much, much more than what the hardware costs to both manufacture and distribute
You are providing personal info that is being sold to corporations
A customer under these circumstances should be entitled to, if he wants, completely reverse engineer that phone. Either that, or phones should actually be free.

Really, people should be even more entitled and more pissy about it. What pretty much allĂ­ the popular brands are getting away with these days makes me sick. You make me sick.

What kind of phone should I get? I'm pretty tired of google tracking my every movement

Don't get one. If you care about people tracking you, don't bother.

Patent law is communism because it enables monopolies

Oh and marketing is stealing with a smile, I can't wait for the day we gas all marketers. Imagine how beautiful the world will be.

Why do shitposters feel so entitled to (You)'s?

I like (You)'s :(