Why do your people still choose to believe in mythical fairytales...

why do your people still choose to believe in mythical fairytales, and why haven't your people embraced east asian religions?

>no belief in afterlife
>no magical stories about creation or barbaric ideas about things which do not exist
>concepts and ideas are based on legal, moral and ethical philosophy and not the mad writings of misguided schizophrenic "prophets"
>100% compatible with western science, does not attempt to obscure truth and knowledge

abandon your silly and childish ways, allah, yahweh, brahma, jesus and the holy spirit are only the misguided beliefs of fools who look to fantasy rather than reality.

Bhuddists and Hindous actually believe in a life after life.

Both Europa and Middle East could be Manichaeist right now instead of Semitic religions but dumb Greeks fucked up everything just like they always do

How is reincarnation any less fantastical?

>>no magical stories about creation or barbaric ideas about things which do not exist

>samsara
>dao
>yin and yang

You're a stupid faggot

buddhism is in many flavors, but mahayana and eastern buddhism is inherently atheistic and concerned with conquests of the mind.

ideas of reincarnation and nirvana are not literal concepts, they are referring to reincarnation from the cycle of instinct and want, and nirvana as breaking free from the ramshackles and reaching a higher plane of conscious self-awareness.

only when you realize that one's consciousness does not reconcile with one's existence is one truly enlightened. much like how we can view an animal as existing within its creaturely wants, we can view others as existing as creatures not yet ascending to nirvana.

>Manichaeist
yes but you are still misguided in your belief in literal beings which made the world. surely, the path of the gnostic reaches higher than the primitive abrahamic faiths, but it is thus far incomplete.

this is the misguided understanding of literal faggots who cannot conceive of metaphor.

reincarnation is not a literal process, it refers to reincarnation from cycles of want, for the human is a cyclic creature reverting and un-reverting to states of folly.

do not mistaken abstraction with mythical fantasy from a book of fairy tales.

>he doesnt know about Nirvana

You need to read up buddy.

>ideas of reincarnation and nirvana are not literal concepts

Maybe according to some interpretations.

This isn't really the case in Asia and other "native" Buddhist countries, where superstition holds a tight grip in society (Take prayer wheels for example). Many of these "it is just a metaphor" ideas came from Buddhist teachers (like Chögyam Trungpa) who came to the West and wanted to make Buddhist ideas more palatable to their followers (The Kalama Sutta is often cited, out of context, as proof of Buddhist support of scientific method).

Regardless, I don't think any of these metaphors give any further knowledge about the universe that regular scientific inquiry can't. Therefore I would reject them out of the principle of parsimony.

you are misguided you silly papist, nirvana is as much a real place as the pope divinely communicates with your silly god.

it is an abstraction, a concept about the inner workings of the mind.

you mustn't mistaken it for fact or reality, it's no more a reality than mary getting divinely raped by your god.

>it is an abstraction, a concept about the inner workings of the mind

That sophistry. You didn't explain anything.

>Taking East Asian religions seriously

buddhism is more than one form you silly heathen, it is true that it has reached into madness and archaic ignorance, but it has also reached into the depths of a purely rationalistic belief. the metaphorical idea has always existed, it has existed before Trungpa in so much that Arthur Schopenhauer the great has written on it endlessly.

science does not delve into questions of spiritual existence and does not reconcile one's spiritual role with the scientific universe. it is concerned with matters of nature, which buddhism at its heart is not.

"For a parallel to the lesson of atomic theory...[we must turn] to those kinds of epistemological problems with which already thinkers like the Buddha and Lao Tzu have been confronted, when trying to harmonize our position as spectators and actors in the great drama of existence."

Niels Bohr

Abrahamic cultures would never have discovered, invented, explored, and conquered had they adopted an ethos of DUDE CONTENTMENT LMAO

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

nirvana is an observational state reached through meditation, it is a mode of existence as much in which one is liberated fully from unconscious instinct.

you may watch people or animals and see that their actions are motivated one and the same, by mere instinct. to shed the conception of oneself, and realize one is but mere nothing, only a process like the life and death of a star, is to understand nirvana.

Greed is the main cause of the incurable disease called boredom/depression.

you are mistaken fully, the earliest science has always been in eternal struggle with barbaric religion. the scientific method would have been achieved early and with much greater depth and strength.

"Buddhism is a combination of both speculative and scientific philosophy. It advocates the scientific method and pursues that to a finality that may be called Rationalistic. In it are to be found answers to such questions of interest as: 'What is mind and matter? Of them, which is of greater importance? Is the universe moving towards a goal? What is man's position? Is there living that is noble?' It takes up where science cannot lead because of the limitations of the latter's instruments. Its conquests are those of the mind."

Bertrand Russell, the man who almost singlehandely overthrew Victorian-era irrationality.

>buddhism is more than one form you silly heathen

Well yeah, that was one of the points I was making.

>it is true that it has reached into madness and archaic ignorance, but it has also reached into the depths of a purely rationalistic belief

This is the problem, you are just taking the buddhist beliefs that you like, throwing away the others, and insisting this is true buddhism.

>he metaphorical idea has always existed, it has existed before Trungpa in so much that Arthur Schopenhauer the great has written on it endlessly.

Buddhist texts are metaphors because a guy who was born thousands of years after they were written interprets them that way? Not really sure if that proves they had metaphorical intent.

>science does not delve into questions of spiritual existence and does not reconcile one's spiritual role with the scientific universe. it is concerned with matters of nature, which buddhism at its heart is not.

Now you have me lost. You talk about Buddhism's concepts about "the inner workings of the mind", which is a matter of nature. The field of psychology is the field of science that studies this.

>reincarnation is not a literal process, it refers to reincarnation from cycles of want, for the human is a cyclic creature reverting and un-reverting to states of folly.
I see. You've never actually met Buddhists.

Buddhism isn't East Asian, its South Asian. No more "based off science" than any other religion, definitely believes ina fterlife.

Confucianism is extremely misogynistic and ageist.

> No belief in the afterlife

Buddhism is more than some retarded /r/atheism meme

nah mate, i'm going to go ahead and drop the trolling because i was trying to trigger some actual religious people here.

the earliest things in buddhism is 450+ years after he died. by the time it was written it was already a full blown field or discipline much like physics for example, but there are references to him teaching x or doing y.

just an analogy, modern science today might refer to or hint at something einstein or darwin discovered but we don't really need to read the original stuff to understand how they contributed to or found their field.

honestly, buddhism is the most popular religion in the psychology and neuroscience department at my school. i had professors who are full blown ordained monks or something.

a lot of what neuroscience discovers on its own is from a completely different angle, but they use buddhism to reconcile their science with their spiritual views since most discoveries aren't that practical.

>nah mate, i'm going to go ahead and drop the trolling because i was trying to trigger some actual religious people here.

I kinda figured, a buddhist calling people faggots and heathens doesn't really fit the stereotype. I think being condescendingly nice would fit better and probably get more replies.

>honestly, buddhism is the most popular religion in the psychology and neuroscience department at my school. i had professors who are full blown ordained monks or something.

Buddhism seems to have a high prevalence in a lot of the academia. I wonder why.

I am a kind of Buddhist tho, I don't need Buddha statue.

Canada go home, you're drunk.

If you want to be "really" pandeic about it, assuming that the creation and destruction of the universe is a repeating cycle, eventually the RNG that spawned you is gonna spawn your consciousness again in some form after enough time passes, assuming no outside forces are affecting.

>east asian
But Hinduism and Buddhism originated from India?

> cccp
> abrahamic

They were a officially atheistic state

>western """buddhists""""

the casual buddhists you meet believe in reincarnation cos it's a nice way to live but with the monks aiming for enlightenment it gets a lot more complicated than that

it think the superstition part was added when buddhism was introduced to those 'native" countries from india

intention and effect are what matters, here on Sup Forums calling people faggots is expected so it's not too wrong to do.

Is shintoism a real religion?

You mean buddhism didnt come from india?

no i mean when it went from india to east asia it incorporated superstitions and traditions already present in those places. like how buddhist temples and china and some in thailand have statues of chinese gods as well.

they are not gods but mortals who achieved buddhahood or arhat, it's all kosher bro