What is the best laptop to buy for ~$1000?

What is the best laptop to buy for ~$1000?

Here's a spoiler about laptops: Laptops have not gotten any better for 5-6 years.

Get a used thinkpad for a couple hundred dollars.

Dell XPS 13

Whichever one comes with gentoo.

The one with a Ryzen APU

Dell XPS 13

This. Everything below this is just shit and a waste of money.

A chromebook?

>*tips 1280x800 11000k white point TN screen

used work station

if you already have a nice desktop pc get a 11inch MBA or a similarly light laptop.

XPS 13 DE

There are no good laptops.

*tips 1366x768 laptop made in 2017*
He is not wrong, laptop market is a fucking joke. There are some decent models in business line of laptops, like always (that also happen to be expensive) but most laptops are complete scam.
Even macbooks and thinkpads, which used to be good are now shit.

ASUS has announced new laptops with good specs and reasonable price, don't know if you can buy them yet. Look it up.

Well, they focused on what is important for laptops: They got smaller, lighter and more efficient.

Sure the 35w CPU in a xx30 Thinkpad is barely slower than a current ULV, but it also runs a lot hotter and is power hungry as fuck.
Also those things are probably twice as thick and heavy as current gen thinkpads.

Tbh. my next laptop will probably be gen2 of the 12" macbook. I have a powerful desktop, all I care about is that its compact, light, nice battery life and decent screen.

13 inch MacBook Air.

He asked for a good laptop. If he wanted a crapplebook he wouldn't be here.

>Decent 16:10 screen
>Decent Keyboard, best trackpad
>Great build quality
>Great battery life
>Price on par with other high end Laptops

What exactly don't you like about the MBA? And what would you recommend instead?

>Dell XPS 13
sucks if you buy it for 1000$

Thinkpad T470p

$1000 is an obscene waste of money unless you've got some kind of requirements only a new machine can meet.

I don't know what your needs are so I can't make an informed suggestion. Personally I got an HP elitebook 8470p for $180 off ebay. Its got a dual core hyperthreaded i7, 8GB ram and an SSD+HDD setup. it was made in 2012 and legit has not had any issue doing anything I need it to.

What was that ThinkPad-like japanese market only laptop that came out a few months ago? Looked perfect.

They discontinued the 11 inch model. Now you can only get the stupid 13 inch air. I fucking love my 11 inch macbook air. Its the perfect size for portability vs usability. The hardware is solid, and there are Linux drivers for every component. Yes, the processor is weak, but I can just VPN into my desktop for heavy lifting.

wait for the ThinkPad Retro in October

Unless you actually care about having a usable screen, the screen on my X230 is one of the worst I have ever seen in my life

Is there a single instance where something gets brought back for old fans and it isn't total garbage?

Not sure what you're talking about specifically, but there is the Panasonic Let's Note series. Seems like a slightly-less-tough version of the toughbook.

You're really putting me on the spot here... Can't think of much, I guess. Do you have any specific worries? I'm staying pretty optimistic here. We're dissatisfied with current ThinkPads. We're gonna get the old keyboard back. That's already enough of an improvement to please the people hanging on to a X/T/W*20. It'll be modern hardware that should make it worth upgrading. It's possible people will be disappointed about it not being as good as a T60 or T43 or whatever. Maybe we won't have all those indicator lights, or maybe it won't be as thicc and tough, but I do think it's going to be pretty good no matter what.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks. Shame they haven't come out in the US.

Ford GT

$200 toshiba and $800 worth of blow.

>USED
Dell m3800
lenovo thinkpad w541

This

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhaahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahhahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhaahhahahahhahhÄ…ahhahahahhahahhahahahha

Buy a used thinkpad for $200, put the rest of the money in ETH or BTC

>put the rest of the money in ETH or BTC
>buying at an all time high
You gotta save the rest of the money to cure the eye cancer you get from those shitty thinkpad screens

Just googled it and it comes of at $2000 so stop lying