everything
/thread

>>easy to understand and easy to adopt
>>enables beginners to write good software
>everything with it is wrong
typical Sup Forums bubble

Use what you fucking like, don't ask this degenerate website

>beginners to write good software
Not possible. This is the absolute worst feature a language can have.
The only good feature of go is that it compiles nicely to one neat package.

>needing an easy to understand C substitute, instead of taking it upon yourself to learn it
learn real languages Pajeet

No generics. I mean what kind of idiots designs a language that doesn't support generics?

the mascot looks fucking ugly holy shit

>no generics
>bad thing

Sure thing Pajeet

Words coming from a person that never seen the light of C++ and its standard lib.

Spot the euphoric Fedora tippers.

I had a process supervisor that was 200 lines of Go, processes were watched via go routines, communication was done via channels, unresponsive processes got killed, scaled beautifully. All in one file of Go.

I did the mistake of rewriting it in Rust and it became 1000 lines Rust code (low-level epoll wrappers and shit not included). No matter how much time I spent on the code, it stayed worse in many ways than my Go prototype. The abstractions became a burden (shitty abstractions run like a red thread through the Rust eco system, just look at mio, hyper, tokio, ...). Nothing improved but I invested too much time on it to admit defeat, so I kept it.

I wish it had generics. Goroutines are cool though.

>Spot the euphoric Fedora tippers.
Comes from the guy writing go and rust programs. Get a job you useless fatty.

How is it a C subsistute? That was the initial plan. Now it fills other needs.

It assumes that most programmers are too stupid to use metaprogramming facilities. The flaws with that are:

a. that's an insult
b. generics are about as easy to use correctly as interfaces or inheritance
c. in a sufficiently big enough organisation you need a couple of devs who get actually shit done. Libraries using generics aren't hard to use, so you'd let the dumdums use the libraries written by the normal programmers

As some wise plebbitor once told
>Yup. Ex-Googler here. Go is what happens when you hire trophy programmers and let them do whatever they want.

>The very fact that Pike described Googlers as "not researchers" who are "not capable of understanding a brilliant language" shows just how delusional the guy is. There's a reason Android went with Kotlin as its new official language and not Go. Go exists in a ghetto and Google is not abandoning C++ and Java internally, despite the weight Pike and co can throw around.

also

Low effort bait you fucking poser. Should I use C++? How many devs has Facebook working on folly and proxygen to get what Go gives me in the standard library. Stupid idiot.

They had a chance not to botch it, now all one can hope for is for a new fast compiling language to become usable, like Kotlin native, Crystal, Nim or Swift.

>Syntax highlighting is juvenile. When I was a child, I was taught arithmetic using colored rods

Sup Forums wouldn't know because nobody here bothers to give it two seconds worth of time

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if a comment there starts with "I am of $background..." it's a karma whoring lier. They do that all the time because it works all the time. Just look at the countless nuclear engineers on that site.

Then why don't you use phyton you brainlet? I hear it has everything you need and is very uncomplicated. Perfect for brainlets.

> obligatory

post the full image with the text at least.

Doesn't matter, that doesn't make it less true.

You shouldn't call other people brainlets when all your programming """""""experience""""""" comes from comment section turf wars and a few RosettaCode problems.

Python has a crappy old standard library that's almost as random as PHP function names. It offers shitty abstractions (like their HTTP server crap) or stuff that's almost 1:1 mapping of the C API, so you could just write it in C anyway. It also has a GIL, no types, no default formatting and Python code still looks like crap after yapf. Testing Python code sucks, so you rely on 3rd party tools like nose or pytest and they're crap as well.

Meanwhile Go has types, a beautiful clean standard library, it supports tests and it has a default code formatter.

Yeah, true as in "alternative truth"

>Meanwhile Go has types
in a similar way C has types
>Yeah, true as in "alternative truth"
As in absolute truth. Just look at him, he created parts of a joke OS and a trivial, design-by-backward-compatibility encoding for a garbage compromise of a character database.
Stuff that might have sufficed 30 years ago.

Still better than the average web pleb, but why would you put someone like that in charge for a critical part of your company?

Meanwhile go isn't used by anyone for anything of importance. I classify Go in the same category as D.

its logo is ugly and resembles a fictional search engine from my fave series