NAS thread?

Post what you have.

Inb4 Atom C2000 chip.
I know I fucked up

Other urls found in this thread:

backuppods.com/collections/backblaze-storage-pod-6-0/products/sunrich-s-331-backplane
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have a custom box with a 6700k and 3x4TB WD Reds in a Fractal Design Node 304. Running Freenas 11.

two hp microservers running freenas

Tick, tick, tick ..

Are you legit...

retarded?

what the fuck is your problem, cunt?

Xpenology 6.02 -> 6.1

This bad boy

6 internal drive bays

Can you recommend some cheap chink shit?

My parents bought this after I told them a Nas would be a good idea. They have tons of photos and videos and I kinda want to be able to look at them later in my life too.

They have multiple iPhones and iPads, a Macbook, and a 6 or 7 year old windows 7 pc. My mom also has a Windos 7 laptop which she has to use for her job. Files are splattered all around.

Sadly they didn't understand what I was telling them. They gave in to their macfag senses without asking me.
I'm pretty sure this thing only has one disk inside so its not safe. Also my parents have no idea what they have to do now and neither do I.

I guess I'll have to get all the shit on there, they have iPhones and iPads but use two different windos 7 laptops and a macbook too. I guess multiple online apple clouds or whatever are involved too.

I need to save the files and bring them to my own nas.
Any suggestions before I enter this insanity?

how much storage broski?

Not the cunt in question, but a 6700k for a nas seems a bit excessive.

How reliable are the Syba SATA cards?
I know the proper method is to flash a raid card to IT mode but I only have 1 PCIe 1x slot.

Return this and get a 2-4 drive NAS or build your own.

But yes, you'll of course have to copy data over either way.

Home server with 6x3TB WD Reds in mdadm RAID6 on Debian Jessie. I will soon expand it to 9x3TB and I'm considering whether I should stick to mdadm or move to the technically-superior ZFS, though the server doesn't support ECC and I've only got 12GB RAM, I'm not sure if that's enough for 27TB worth of drives with ZFS. I keep hearing 1GB for 1TB, which would mean I'd need like 32GB RAM. RAID6 mdadm has been very nice to me thus far though, I was able to move from 3x3TB RAID5 to 6x3TB RAID6 without any data loss, that's a pretty useful ability which ZFS lacks.

Hardware RAID cards are trash. Can't rely on successor models (maybe the only ones on the market still) supporting the RAID exactly the same way or them having shit all for recovery utilities in case of specific data corruptions.

Just use Linux mdadm software RAID, ZFS RAID or equivalent (enterprise tier cloud FS replication is obviously okay too).

Synology 4-drive NAS.

Plus my own relatively low power Linux box. Both on RAID5.

4x4x4 right now, not much. Probably going to buy a 8t at the end of the month

Do those synology nas cases take standard mainboards?
Because they look sexy as fuck

My problem is that the mobo only has 2 sata slots. Flashing a raid card in IT mode just allows more sata slots to be seen.

Since I only have 1 PCI 1x expansion slot available my options are a Syba (marvell chipset) expansion card.

thats overkill

pic related with 4x 3TB in raid 5 with OMV.

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2
with 16gb of ram
running freenas corral for now
but I'm going to try esxi and passing through my hba card and 2 usb hard drives to a VM

Never heard of that one, but when I was looking for one for my server I never found something well-reviewed (or even reviewed at all) that I felt was trustworthy with enough drives on it that could destroy my array if they all got fucked. I ended up going the LSI cross-flash route too, got some Dell PERC and cross-flashed it with IT firmware so it's just a basic HBA now, I can hook up 8 drives to it though I'll only use 3.

Nobody buys these for their hardware RAID functionality. You buy one and flash it with basic HBA firmware just to get more SATA ports from some decent hardware. You then use the bare drives with mdadm or ZFS. It's better than buying some chink shit SATA card with 4 SATA3 ports running off of a PCIe 1.0 1x connector. I've also seen plenty of stories of chink shit SATA cards shitting their pants and dropping drives when you attempt some normal operation like reading SMART status or shit like that.

> allows more sata slots to be seen
All the ports on your SATA controller are visible to your OS anyhow?

> Since I only have 1 PCI 1x expansion slot available my options are a Syba (marvell chipset) expansion card.
I don't get why? You can use any other PCI card with more ports, or one of these things (Backblaze's current choice, can also be found elsewhere):
If you can deal with the lower speeds:
backuppods.com/collections/backblaze-storage-pod-6-0/products/sunrich-s-331-backplane

planning planning to upgrade to this fucker with unraid once I saved up the ~4500€
Any tips or alternatives to consider?

>4x 3TB in raid 5
Did you get a four-leaf clover and a horse-shoe with that package?

the important stuff is backed up on external HDD and cloud storage so nothing to fear here

the DS1515 with a Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-314
i was split between it and the ds1515+ but then i read up on the Atom C2000 chip problems and i just went with the arm one after all it´s not like i actually need the features of the +

now i happily sit with 4*4tb drives soon to upgrade with a batch of 8tb drives

ASSCock Rack Atom C2750 mITX board
Half of the SATA3 ports from the external controller don't even work properly anymore, so now I'm stuck with using 6 hard drives in RAID10. The CPU hits 60 degrees unless I put a 80mm fan over the heatsink, but the other controllers on the board overheat at random, so I had to put another $20 or so in additional heatsinks and thermal pads.

My second NAS is a Xeon D-1518 FlexATX from Supermicro and I've yet to see a single problem with it yet. It even has 10Gig Ethernet ports built into the SoC, so I didn't have to go out and buy a $100+ NIC like I did with my old Atom server. I still need a fan blowing over the SoC's heatsink, but everything else stays functional. I did pay $150 more for the D-1518, but man was it worth it to upgrade.

I've needed to set up a NAS for a long time but I can't stomach dropping $200-300 on what amounts to a rpi with a SATA controller

Been looking at this exact case for my NAS. What board/cpu are you using?

You know what's up.
I thought about grabbing a cheap Synology or Asustor, but then I realized it's literally cheaper to get a 4 drive HP than a 2 drive whever else.

And OMV is cool, being able to run basically whatever server I need on top of the essential file servers is great.

I do only have one drive in it though, I should grab 3x4TB to set up a RAID5 while it's not too much of a chore to transfer the data on another drive.

thanks mate