Scrap yard PC vs raspberry pi: which one would you choose price /performance wise?

Scrap yard PC vs raspberry pi: which one would you choose price /performance wise?

Scrapyard PC: Probably broken ancient Pentium 4 garbage. Has AIDS from sitting in a scrapyard.
Raspi: Actually works. Slow, but works.

>crappy ARM processor that's absolutely useless for any real work
vs
>semi-decent x86 processor that can actually run useful applications
gee i wonder which is better

Scrapyard PC for sure if you know where to look.

the one that doesn't have an old housefire tdp processor with a fan that sounds like a jet turbine

the scrapyard pc, but dumpster diving is a meme and they'll just try to rip you off if you buy some used c2d crapbox on ebay or whatever, so just buy an orange pi and be done with it

If you have patience, you can get a nice desktop for $35.

scrapyard pc

I found 1080 ti with double xeon cpu and motherboard at scrapyard yesterday now I play minecraft 900frames per second on my 17inch crt

Depends on what you want to do.

You can probably find a decent Core2Duo with an old mid-range GPU like a GTX 560 easily, and this rig will do basic fomputing tasks like browsing and playing outdated games fairly well. It will, however, be massively power-hungry.

A Raspberry, on the other hand, is a decent ultra low power machine that's excellent for hobbyist IoT, tiny servers or related projects. You can power it off a few solar panels!

Latest RPi3 vs 10 year old 'junkyard' PC...

For whatever benchmarks are worth...

I have no idea what you intend to use either computer for, so I'm not going to provide a meaningful answer.

Price/performance wise the scrapyard PC will always win, but if you're only looking for a cheap emulation meme machine or tiny server, the Pi3 is fine

I offered a guy $200 for a Packard Bell desktop running Win95 a couple years ago. He wouldn't take it. Sometimes junkyard PCs are expensive.

wow
the first actually useful information i've ever gotten from Sup Forums
thanks

If you pay for electricity it's definitively the raspberry pi.

Where did you get Geekbench 4.1.0 for ARM?

I only managed to find 2.4.2 for ARM and my OPi got a score of 1566.

As a simple server, RPi3 is way better than any

Search the Geekbench database

Just noticed you used the Android version, i was looking for a Linux ARM version which i can't find aside from 2.4.2, oh well.

Good point, there is no Geekbench for ARM on Linux. But, the benchmarks should be good enough for getting an idea of performance.

>Good point, there is no Geekbench for ARM on Linux
There is but only version 2.4.2 which i assume is outdated as fuck, still useful to get an idea like you said.

I got 1566 score from that with my OPi.

Ah okay, i'm not doing any of these benches myself, just searching the database.

Whatever the case, I would not use an RPi for desktop. I would use RPi for any type of simple server functions. You could run several RPis and still use less energy than a junkyard PC.

Considering the last computer I garbagepicked had a Phenom II x4, Radeon HD 4550, 4GiB RAM, and a 1TB HDD, I'll go with that.

Application matters when you're talking about hardware. As a desktop, thats probably great. As a server, probably not...

Well no shit. For most cases, the desktop wouyld be better.

If you need a client machine, spend $200 on a use Thinkpad X220 or a Chromebook.

>His desktop didn't cost $14.20

Why is that American banknotes look so damn powerful holy shit.

I've already got plenty of laptops

Get an old Dell/HP with a LGA1155, you can buy one for the price of 2 RPi's, if you find a good deal.

Dumpster PC any day. I installed Debian on the one I found and turned it into a IPTV server. The Celery 3.0GHz and cheap onboard NIC handle multiple clients fine, no trouble. The CPU fan is held on with wire so just got to make sure it doesn't catch fire.

where are you finding these PCs, literal scrap yards? just shell out some money for something decent

Probably eBay off-lease machines