Don't mind me, just pirating his money, it's not like I'm stealing it since he can make that money back

>Don't mind me, just pirating his money, it's not like I'm stealing it since he can make that money back

Other urls found in this thread:

sys.Sup
Sup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's not how it works you fucking retarded child. It would he like duplicating his money, and he wouldn't even notice and you get money too. Besides using money as a comparison is stupid because of inflation. Compare it to something else, like a piece of jewellery. You make a new piece of jewellery out of thin air, and now there's 2 instead of one.

>make thousands copies of jewellery
>jewellery has no value

>data is equivalent to physical objects

Your thread is shit and you should feel like shit.

Lol who cares about piracy

What about bitcoin, if I could just copy bitcoin, it would have no value

>le fishhook picture.jpg

Excellent argument. It's not equal, but an extremely similar scenario. If you obtained a device that could copy grocery products and set up a stand in front of a supermarket where you gave out copies of their products for free, the profits of that supermarket would suffer, similar to the scenario where you just go in and literally steal their products from the shelves. The latter would lead to a loss of revenue by them being unable to sell the product, not equal but similar to the former scenario - in which they can't because people have a strong incentive not to buy them.

That said, pirating games by companies that make revenue out the ass is still entirely justified, so is cheating to get unfairly priced microtransactions or downloading a pirated copy of a game you own because you don't want to deal with the stupid DRM. This is like the whole "taxation is theft" debate, a fucking stupid point to get hung up on instead of the practical considerations of the issue.

If you could just copy bitcoin, you'd likely be a millionaire before it would actually affect the market.

IMO, it'd be worth it to me.

>But you cant, so your hypothetical is dumb.

Which is a scenario that doesn't happen in real life. No game company has ever had their profits meaningfully impacted by piracy - if a company says they have, it's a paper thin excuse over something else (usually just having a shitty product, or awful DRM, or no goodwill, or...)

Electronic data didn't have the same value as a physical object.

WE HAVE THIS THREAD EVERY FUCKING DAY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

S
C
ARTIFICIAL
R
C
I
T
Y

(You)

I find that hard to believe. Even if they can easily survive as a company and turn a profit, piracy still impacts their profits heavily. There's a reason games like LoL and Blizzard games make untold billions of money, and why companies typically release games on consoles first, or as outright console exclusives.

>Electronic data didn't have the same value as a physical object.
And you base that claim on what exactly? Is a cinema ticket's value equal to the paper it's printed on?

sys.Sup Forums.org/g/imgboard.php?mode=report&no=60749652&altc=1

obvious anti-piracy shill campaign. repeated threads the past months.

Expect the value of a movie is determined by its quality, not its scarcity.

Sup Forums.org/rules#global

these are my favourite threads

that would solve world hunger and it's literally Star Trek so fk yea

>piracy still impacts their profits heavily.
[citation needed]

>There's a reason games like LoL and Blizzard games make untold billions of money,

Yes, that would be because both of those companies make games designed a certain way, one free-to-play with an expensive cash shop, and the other literally requiring a $15/month subscription.

No, it's determined by box office performance, which goes down if people pirate instead of going to movie theaters

>hey guys this object can be infinitely copied and is therefore worth nothing.
>yeah but muh hard work don't you feel sorry for the billionaires goy?

Pirates BTFO

>piracy doesn't impact their profits heavily
[citation needed]

>one free-to-play with an expensive cash shop, and the other literally requiring a $15/month subscription.
Actually, it's because you can't pirate either of those things. Do you seriously not see the trend here?

Nah, that's not how this works goy. You are the one that originally claimed piracy was a thing, I called bullshit. Prove it or fuck off.

>Do you seriously not see the trend here?
Considering the other PC game makers that sell individual products that can be trivially pirated that make money hand over fist, no not really.

Post numbers or fuck off. And they'd better be from an unbiased third party, not some industry group with a financial incentive to lie.

>911, what's your emergency?
>Yes, hello. There's a man here making exact copies of my money. Can you send a car?
>...

>Sorry sir, our car has been pirated

You are the one who claimed here that "no game company has ever had their profits meaningfully impacted by piracy", which is a pretty fucking strong claim I would expect to see backed up. I attempted to prove that with a practical example of Riot and Blizzard, both of which are extremely successful companies primarily because of the account based nature of their games and the impossibility of pirating their content.

Let's take Overwatch, for example. It sold over 30 million copies, and several people I know, myself included, bought it because there is literally no way to pirate it and then stopped playing a few months later once we got bored. How do you think Overwatch's sales would look like if you could easily get it from the Pirate Bay and make LAN servers for it? Or Diablo 3's. I'm fairly sure Torchlight 2 as a game was successful at all to begin with because people wanted to play Diablo 3 and couldn't. This is the kind of shit that would require insider knowledge of the revenue of companies, and a time machine that can visualize hypothetical timelines in which things happened differently five years ago. I can't just "post numbers" and prove it with a single gotcha, which is why I'm trying to illustrate the pattern.

To be clear though I don't really give a shit about this argument or you, if you fail to see the incredibly basic trend I'm trying to get at and still claim "hurr piracy never cost anybody a single dollar anywhere ever" until I post fifteen peer reviewed studies, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

muh (((potential profit loss)))

>don't mind me, just pirating some pussy

Flawless fucking rebuttal there. To be clear though, I don't mind piracy. Go ahead and pirate everything made by any company you want, most of them deserve it.

If you want to bait, next time compare it to printing money as that's a more accurate simile

Can't you just stop replying to this thread, do you?

You are so dumb you can't even create a proper analogy

The point that OP tried to make is that piracy is theft, which is grossly incorrect. Theft involves removing an object from one party and giving it to another. Content producers still retain their software in the act of piracy.

if people can't afford information and it's so great you don't want it share to others? for better world, and if they have money and don't support their inspiration they are morons.

does pirating violate the NAP?

So being a good person and bringing coporates down to middle class level is bad?

can you please just fuck off with these threads

yes I'm triggered

It's okay to torrent shit. It's not okay to try to justify it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner

underrated post

how about the fact that what.cd and freshon.tv are gone now and I have no source of music and tv