/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wMvyOGawNwo
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/biography-of-a-cypherpunk-and-how-cryptography-affects-your-life/
github.com/jamiemcg/Remarkable
aur.archlinux.org/packages/remarkable/
gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
ostechnix.com/linuxbrew-common-package-manager-linux-mac-os-x/
linuxbrew.sh/
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/4056
packages.debian.org/sid/kde-plasma-desktop
packages.debian.org/sid/kde-standard
packages.debian.org/sid/kde-full
packages.debian.org/sid/task-kde-desktop
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser
bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=251911&action=diff
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

blackarch or kali lads?

Obligatory watch:
youtu.be/wMvyOGawNwo

Obligatory read:
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/biography-of-a-cypherpunk-and-how-cryptography-affects-your-life/

Parrot Security

what?

That feeling when you go balls deep in scripting your own tools.

>not knowing Parrot Security OS
ŚMH

Feels good isn't it.

I remember starting with Linux where all these random shell scripts everywhere seemed so shoddy.
After some time I was beginning to appreciate it. There's something elegant about them really.

GNU/Linux*

not every linux based operating system is GNU my friend. I don't want to be an exclusive shithead by forgetting distributions like Alpine and such.

>and such

They're actually referring to the kernel, Stallman

>a Linux based OS, not combined with the GNU system, turns a kernel in a complete system

correct

So stop calling Linux "Android" since it's just Linux.

Android is actually a fork of Linux.

That feeling when you go balls deep in scripting your own tools and the more you learn you realize that they will never be 100% perfect.

Android is a Linux based operating system which uses a fork of Linux, the kernel.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Android, is in fact, Android/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Google corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many smartphone users run a modified version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or Android/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of Android/Linux.

Android is an operating system based on a fork of Linux with Google's extensions.

Android is an operating system with Linux installed.

with a fork of Linux therefore not Linux.

That pasta is stupid. Google uses a lot of independent replacements for the GNU system; the combination of these replacements doen't turn Android in an operating system. sincle "Linux" is the core part and an operating system by definition, calling it "Linux" instead of Android is correct.

Well, you're only doing 1% of the work. Other people did all the hard work by creating those programs.

I agree except for the part that calling it Linux is correct. Linux is an operating system kernel, which always needs certain third party parts in order to work. Calling the full system just Linux is a logical error which stems from thinking that the GNU/Linux vs Just Linux thing exists because "Linux uses GNU tools", which again leads to thinking that "a GNU/Linux system without GNU tools must be just Linux" - but actually, GNU/Linux is a combination of TWO vital (but incomplete) operating system parts, while Android combines the kernel with multiple independet single parts - a "yet unnamed" combination, or as I've recently taken to calling it "just Android" (the same goes for Alpine).

I'm on Linux first like 3 days now.

My laptop has a known issue and I have found a solution online by patching the kernel.

The patch is in tar.gz format and the text for manual patch is there as well.

How on earth do I patch the kernel?

Android/Linux, Alpine/Linux, GNU/Linux or are you running the bare kernel?

Jokes aside. Could you link the patch?

By using the patch utility.
I suggest you first learn and go through a normal kernel compilation. Just compile and install your distribution's kernel. It will be easier, because you don't have to configure it (just use their configuration).
Once you get that down, it's like a minor thing to learn how to use the patch utility.
Finally, I suggest you learn how to package software for your distribution. Then you can neatly install your kernel, remove and update it.

Post neat cli utilities. Recently discovered fzf, which is pretty amazing.

Opinions on GNOME 3? I'm not liking it so far.

>Linux Torvalds
Kek

Is there a lean version of KDE?

Lxqt is close enough

Dolphins' black background in the icon explorer section is unaffected by gnome tweak tool appearance changes and shell themes.
Any ideas how to fix this?

Reading the article gave me a bit of a chill. Maybe Terry Davis has the right idea...

Can someone explain to an idiot how to build programs from github on antergos? I already cloned it and I'm lost now.

There is any "modern" distro able to boot faster than win XP?
My SSD XP VM loads in literaly 0.8s

Post link to program. Theres no "general" installation practice.

KDE is usually a metapackage.
Basically a list of kde-related packages.
Depending on you're package manager, find the command to list packages a metapackage pulls in. Install the obvious deps and the packages you want, and let you're package manager sort out the dependencies.

github.com/jamiemcg/Remarkable

It says, it's available in the AUR, which should be the easiest way since you're on Antergos. aur.archlinux.org/packages/remarkable/

i did a test to turn my bios time to instant, and uefi boot to 0 as well, i get my loonix login prompt in under a second from hitting the power button. its actually really close to instant. i use an nvme drive

Okay, the Arch wiki should do from here. Thanks.

It's really fun, and makes you appreciate the quality of both the tools and the shell itself. Does anyone know an XML parser for pipelines, like what jq is for JSON?

What are some cool lightweight terminal commands suitable for daily use?

mkfs.reiser4 /dev/wife

curl cheat.sh

What reason do I have from not using Linux permanently? I know it seems odd to ask but outside of video games, I don't need Windows. Work does everything on Google Suite and they use Chromebooks.
I'm just curious since all I would use Windows for is a few video games.
I plan to learn coding and web dev too but I already know I can do those just fine.

So my question is I guess: outside of games, what would Ubuntu struggle with, if anything?

i don't understand the loonix has no games meme
there are tons, thousands on steam and gog

Ha, if you learn C, webdec is essentially out of the question. Not many hardened PROGRAMMERS will take a liking to webdev (in more than the 'essentials' of it).

But I commend you, if you ARE determined to use Linarx as a main OS - keep in mind, WINE works excellent for most moderately 'oldish' games, and quite a number of new ones, too. You sometimes get exceptions but they don't affect anything noticably.

Get acquainted with writing your own workflow. Thats the best thing you can do. Learn makefiles, C and asm optimizations, learn vi/m, learn hotkeys, configuration/customization. Build your own "home" with the tools you can find, and create your own if usecases require.

i know that - I didn't mean to imply it doesn't. I meant as "outside of a few video games that work only on Windows - I can't see a reason not to switch to Linux full time"

I want something to do to kill time at work - right now I'm in IT support for a small business and they're all on Chromebooks so there's little to do. The site is done in Wordpress and they wanted me to try to help out since I did it as part of a course. Hence me curious about jumping into it from an actual career perspective. Though actual programming in at least terms of it being useful for Linux would be a godsend since I'd rather use it than a Chromebook

I've used WINE before a few years back and it was fine for the most part. I was just wondering if there's anything unique to Windows I couldn't do in WINE.

>python project
>not using distutils/setuputils for installation

Shit software.

Permission denied. You have to force it somehow.

>tfw I'm writing shit software right now

is this the new meme

ostechnix.com/linuxbrew-common-package-manager-linux-mac-os-x/

linuxbrew.sh/

>Linux system
>BSD License
yes

I don't understand what the fuck is wrong with people. Why do they demand stuff like flatpack/snappy, appimage, "linuxbrew" and all this crap? Is the concept of a package manager really that hard to deal with?

evreyone else in my office use Photoshop so using GIMP will make projects arkward

Linux Mint isnt regonising my windows partition when i try to install it.
What to do?

macfag normies want brews
winfag normies want installers

When people are new to a system they don't understand, they tend to perceive its differences with systems they're more familiar with as "problems" that somehow no one has noticed before and it is up to them to "fix".

Like how people who are halfway through hiragana often have these bright plans on how to fix the Japanese writing system.

I can think of the following:
-keeping up with the app store meme, most likely to pander normalfags
-less dependency on distro-specific maintainers, package formats and library versions. I can imagine a mpv meme package with the latest ffmpeg, libav and mpv without depending on what the distro ships. Yes, 50-100 MB but the latest versions supported.

>mpv
kek
Just leaving this here:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/4056
tl;dr
> just use Windows.
> closed

lel, looks I choose a bad example.

I just want the bare minimum of a good desktop. I was thinking install Debian and then just install the metapackage

kek! app image is ded

Some jokes never die

for KDE there are usually a few metapackages, like

small:
packages.debian.org/sid/kde-plasma-desktop
medium:
packages.debian.org/sid/kde-standard
full:
packages.debian.org/sid/kde-full
just fuck my HDD up:
packages.debian.org/sid/task-kde-desktop

normie here, i dont get it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

jesus christ

Unlike wives.

>Known for: ReiserFS, murder
That almost reads like a satire article.

creepy

Never reply to me or my wife's brother son ever again!!

wtf i love lachs0r now

>click on wikiquotes link
>see this:

>You're about to experience chaos. [before farting in a police officer's face, while being photographed nude after his arrest]

Is it silly to install the release candidate kernels or should I just wait for stable versions?

yes

Have a vm for kernel testing, preferrably mounted on a non-SSD so it doesnt rape it (that still happens, right?)

anyone here has any idea how to use an externa sound card in ubuntu ?

1. install pavucontrol
2. plug in USB sound hardware
3. open pavucontrol, set output to the USB device.

Stability. I'm not using Linux because it's far from stable and I have a relatively new hardware,so I need the latest stuff.

Also, Linux isn't really any better than Windows if you just want work to be done.

Linux doesn't have a proper music player, the file manager is shit, there are ton of visual bugs.

As much as love to use Linux, it's unusable and shit.

bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=251911&action=diff

Fuck off with your communist shit. My computer is just a tool, it doesn't have an ideology.

Are you talking about the kernel v4.12-rc4? I'm sure you're safe. But personnaly I use only the v4.11.3, which is stable.

Funny how sometimes two wrongs make a right.

>Linux doesn't have a proper music player
Perfectly accurate statement as far as I can tell.

>Windows is about as usable as a bare kernel with no userland.
Might be a bit of an overstatement but I can't say I haven't felt that way sometimes.

>everything you just posted
Not gomna even waste my effort logically debunking everything you just said bwcause fuck you mad cunted wankstain

What does "proper music player" imply?

I installed Linux From Scratch and everything works. What do now?

Install GNU.

a computer itself? no. but _your_ computer? yes since you are pouring your personality into it.

Probably Winamp.

Use it. Love it. Build things. It's your home, now.

If you actually did it you would know that Linux From Scratch is not a Linux distribution at all.

>I installed Linux From Scratch
>installed
kek