People still bought iPods when phone with MP3 playback ability existed

>people still bought iPods when phone with MP3 playback ability existed

k.

Other urls found in this thread:

mixtape.moe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because all phones that supported it usually didnt have enough battery life to last a long time playing it back, required eaplugs with a non 3.5mm audio jack, or their player/library UI was garbage.

>player/library UI was garbage
pic related was pretty gud and made great shots, maybe the best among phones at its time. ipods are mostly about brand, not quality btw

How many GBs of music did it hold compared to a dedicated MP3 player?

My dad had that phone. God, it was so fucking shit lmao

I actually had this motherfucker back in the day, it was a good w700i

Some people prefer dedicated devices.

The user experience was probably terrible and didn't hold a lot of music.

OP if you think that anyone who doesn't fuck kids would be seen carrying that thing around as opposed to an iPod, you need way more social interaction

>people still bought DSLRs when phones with 640x480 cameras existed

512MB

But user didn't it have microSD?

Even if it does it probably doesn't even support SDHC, which means that at most it wouldn't even hold as much as the first iPod

the first and only big argument for iPods when they first came out was "TEN THOUSAND FUCKING SONGS!"
No combination of flash cards or embedded hard drives could've fought against that

>No combination of flash cards or embedded hard drives could've fought against that
But the iPods had hard drives

I had the phone and had an iPod too because the iPod trumped the phone's music player in pretty much every imaginable way possible, battery life and speed being among many metrics

That's like saying why the fuck do people buy DSLR cameras today when my phone has a shitty camera

Name a single MP3 player of the time that both used a hard drive and had gigabyte capacity
Remember when this came out its competition was USB Sansa plugins

I'm not saying there were competitors at the time, I'm saying that it's wrong to say that an MP3 player with an HDD couldn't match an iPod's capacity when iPods themselves used HDDs.

I had that phone years back. Good little thing that served me well for many years. Kinda miss it now mind and wish I had kept it.

no it had MMC cards

No it took one of those SD cards the same size of which goes in cameras. Think it was also limited to 2gb.

for similar reasons nobody used this.
>Look, it has apps like the smartphones

if you want to push something on people it needs to be easy, worth the time, and you need to market it. The phone was mostly a 9-in-1 device so it didn't really thaw people to the idea of using the phone for media playback...

winmo wasn't that hard it was just expensive and niche and getting software on it was fucking retarded

Which one though?
An MP3 player of that year matching an iPod

You're dumb

So is he wrong or is he "possibly" wrong?
Capability is not proof

I never claimed there were competing players at the time, I said it was wrong to say that a player with an HDD couldn't have competed when iPods themselves simply had HDDs.

iPods didn't originally play mp3s though

I still use my iPod. In fact, I just bought one bc my screen was cracked.

phone music interfaces and features pre-smart phones were usually garbage though

MP3 support or not they were still DAPs.

I still use my zune hd, I have my Zune 30GB frist gen and a 120GB. Both have dead batteries though ):

>I still use my zune
>I have my Zune 30GB frist gen and a 120GB
>not only bought one zune but actually purchased two

I purchased four. Three are mine, One for my brother.

i knew Sup Forums was full of idiots but jesus christ

Why are you mad? Are you poor?

I bought the first ipod and I was literally the only person with one in my whole school, they thought it was alien technology. I also exclusively bought sony ericsson mp3 players phones after I got rid of the ipod. Patricians where you at my niggas.

>not owning 64 iPhones so you don't need playing cards
Are you poor?

I've also bought Sony phones since the W800 until I got the Galaxy S8 because fucking Sony doesn't want to release the XZ Premium or the XZs in my country.

I guess that means you are just retarded.

joke
head

For the same reason people still buy dedicated PMPs
Phones rarely have dedicated DACs so
A) They sound like shit
B) Playback RAPES battery life
C) herp durp just stream everything from spotify xDDD

Yes. You should work on your height so you don't miss anything else.

>Phones rarely have dedicated DACs
There are media players with DACs?

You mean was a 'joke'?
Good one, old-timer

DAC is a chip not a piece of software

phones usually have mediocre ones. some flagships have nicr DACs. phones do not have 20hour battery life like my PMP though

If it can play digital audio, it has a DAC

I was still rocking my old nokia that was only capable of playing those sweet midi files

mixtape.moe/

>Phones rarely have dedicated DAC
well they may not be very good but if it can output an audio signal it has to have a dac of some kind

Forget about phones, there were thousands of far better mp3 player before, during and after the iPod.
iSheep. Not even once.

100GB

I owned this specific model and it came shipped with a 512 MB Memory Stick Duo Pro.

I later bought a 4 GB Memory Stick Duo Pro and an 8 GB one. Back then I thought Sony's MS Duo would win over SD Cards because for some time, the development was faster. So I also had a Sony camera which used those Cards.

The 8 GB card didn't work with my phone though.

Still, 4 GB of music, back then mostly torrented 128kbit mp3s, was a lot. I remember to have the whole Rammstein discography on it of the albums that were released until then and was always just listening to that. Although I had a huge music collection of things I never heard anyway on it.

I had a Nokia N70 with 2gb of card (dont remember the type) and did the same.

Feelsgod to be tech pioneers
this is what stevejobs sacrificed himself for

>ipods
>not quality

>64 playing cards
I think you mean 52 buddy

>not keeping 12 aces up your sleeve
I can't say I don't envy you, 12 iPhones barely fit in my sleeve.

>be sony
>buy off ericsson
>make nothing with it
another company ruined by bugs of human race

Ericsson's still a company, Sony just bought the cellphone part.

God, you are retarded beyond belief
Come back when you know what you're talking about

Fun fact: most modern phones have a longer battery life than any pmp

Music playback for a regular pmp is maybe 20 hours while a phone can reach up to 60 hours

I always had a dedicated audio device, matter of choice. Batteries were shit back then btw, audio decoding made most phones literally shit themselves

In addition to that, it was pretty hard to get non cancerous music for normal people, while Apple lead the way with iTunes.

Also storage capacity.

This phone was fucking amazing. My first cell.

Had a Bluetooth hacking tool that would rip people's contacts and let me make calls with their signal.

dumb nigger even the chink ones now get 80 hours of battery

I remember I was super excited to get an MP3 player phone... But the thing sucked giant dicks... sounded like shit. only had a play / pause button on the outside of it... and it died in like 2 days. Then I was forced to get a non mp3 player phone and use my creative Zen micro... didn't even think about music on a phone until i got my first android

>tfw someone thinks they're some kina audiophile w/ their beats plugged inna iphone

because all other mp3 players were trash

amazing how even with shitty itunes on windows there was still nothing better

>"don't mind me, just going to listen to track 1234 of my library"
>pushes skip key 1233 times

The only player I've ever seen that looks dumber than that is that triangle thing

>don't mind me, just going to listen to a specific song
>navigates to specific song and presses Play

best player on the market now(without spending $300 and up) so yeah...
sure the controls might look unintuitive but they really aren't

>best player on the market
Just the fucking shape makes that statement invalid. Seriously, who the fuck thought a triangular prism was a good idea for a pocketable device? And that control scheme is on a level of retarded no human being ever should have been able to fathom.

kys 15 year-old

I was talking about this one, pleb that triangle thing is garbage, yeah.

That one's pretty fucking dumb too, certainly not better than an iPod

All apple products have shit playback.
The xDuoo X3 is the best DAP on the market without spending at least $300. No contest.
Anything under $300 that can't run rockbox is guaranteed to be garbage.

>All apple products have shit playback.
Nah

are there any oldphones worth a damn with those kind of features and 3.5mm audio?

it's a phone...? back then it was a normal phone, what the fuck do you think people used for calls and texting and taking pictures and everything else an ipod doesn't do?

Apple products are literally famous for shit playback.

What do you mean by shit playback? I've never had an issue in the decade I've been using them.

I owned a W950/W960, which was Sony's top of the line walkman phone with a smartphone OS (Symbian, but not compatible with S60 applications). The music app is great, it had dedicated music key, it had 4/8gb of space, the battery was pretty good, but it had no 3.5mm jack so you either had to shell out 60 bucks for Sony's adapter or use the set that come with the phone.

>I've never had an issue in the decade I've been using them.
that's called desensitization.
I don't even know if apple devices can playback .FLAC I doubt it, but if they could, it'd sound like a 128kbs .mp3 still. Shit playback.

are you le mad? are you le poor? le xD

Like they have a bad DAC? Mine's got the Wolfson DAC everyone raves about. When I'm using my good headphones I also use line-out and a Fiio E6.
>I don't even know if apple devices can playback .FLAC I doubt it
They can play ALAC, FLAC is supported if you rockbox them.

>Name a single MP3 player of the time that both used a hard drive and had gigabyte capacity
Archos Jukebox 6000 was doing 6 GB a year before the first iPod was launched
Fucking newfags and appledrones I swear

>Rammstein discography on it of the albums that were released until then and was always just listening to that

faggot

Man i miss this thing.

oh my god
neckbeard should start using dumb phones again
these were amazing

Keep spouting bullshit like you know what you are talking about, someone might believe you

Shield, S5 has exceptional audio quality, tbqh