Ouch. He's right though. Google's own stats back it up

Ouch. He's right though. Google's own stats back it up.

developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/apple-is-lobbying-against-your-right-to-repair-iphones-new-york-state-records-confirm
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/source-apple-will-fight-right-to-repair-legislation
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/iphone-7-home-button-unreplaceable-repair-software-lock
telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8912714/Apple-iTunes-flaw-allowed-government-spying-for-3-years.html
youtu.be/77xrvph9dTs
aicprom.io/,
aicprom.io/
dwnld.aicp-rom.com/?device=axon7
youtube.com/watch?v=dvtL33Om0MU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_5S
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Android's for africans, chinks and indians. It's an OS for shit phones and poor people.

>let manufactures use your OS as they like
>don't try to control how they update the os at all at first
>gets surprised that most of them are releasing new phones with new updates instead of updating their older devices, resulting in having less than 10% of your whole os's userbase having the latest android version
Fuck google

>guaranteed updates for 3 years, unlike Android where a device might not even get updates after 6 months (if it isn't already dropped after release)

Feels good, man.

Heyy! My S6 got two updates...in its lifespan.

>he needs a company to get him updates for his locked down toy os
my nexus 4 is on 7.1.1 right now

>Not buying a guaranteed updates nexus device

Anyone that buys a chinkphone or a $50 blu whatever knows what they are getting into

>being okay with early discontinuations

This sort of thinking is why only 7% of Android users are on Nougat after nearly an ENTIRE YEAR.

>"fuck companies, I'm more okay with pajeets developing a broken buggy rom for my phone"
Maybe you'll hit 15% nougat adoption in 2019 lmao

My s5 has nougat.

And that will be the last update you will receive (not counting custom roms), just like me :(

Did you have to root it and install an aftermarket ROM, and are the steps you took to do it simple and easy enough to do for the average user?

>I void my warranty to install literal malware from forum members called xXd4rkl0rdxX and 1337pajeet420

Fucking jej at the life of an Android user. Do you just like maintaining shit and wasting time or do you enjoy things you buy actually working?

2 years on Nexus vs 5 years on iPhone

Do apple fans really believe that ~$800-1200 is actually an impressive amount of money to spend on something? Literal teenagers can get that in a month at their part time job.

What are custom ROMs?
Yeah, open source ROMs are inherently insecure, but a proprietary iOS is so much better. Not to mention that you can uninstall system apps on Android.

>What are custom ROMs?

Something that the vast majority of Android users have no idea even exist and if they do, it's too complicated for them to do. They're afraid of breaking their phone doing something of that nature and their fears are quite justified.

Not him, but there are YouTube tutorials for almost every Android device imaginable. It's easier to install a custom ROM then it has ever been before. As far as the S5 goes, Max Lee has made a lot of tutorials.

>Anyone that buys a chinkphone or a $50 blu whatever knows what they are getting into

No they don't. The average user is not a Sup Forums user or an XDA user who's in touch with everything Android. They have no idea what they're getting into. Ask them if they know what a "flagship phone" is and watch their reaction.

This is not 2010. There are no motherboard related bootloops preventing you from installing custom ROMs. And just because you don't want to use your device to its full potential, that doesn't mean it's not there.

There are YouTube tutorials for replacing an entire car engine. This does not mean that people are going to actually do it themselves, usually out of fear of doing it wrong.

Most people don't even know you can install an aftermarket ROM. They have no awareness of this sort of stuff and many people in the hacking community seem to be elitists who would like it to stay that way.

iOS is made by the white man for the white man, andriod is for poor pajeets, niggers, and spics

False equivalence. It doesn't take a developer with a degree to flash a custom ROM. Checking boxes and dragging and dropping files isn't the same as replacing car parts.
> (You)
>There are YouTube tutorials for replacing an entire car engine. This does not mean that people are going to actually do it themselves, usually out of fear of doing it wrong.
>Most people don't even know you can install an aftermarket ROM.
For people with older and therefore slower Android devices, that's not true. Those users are almost desperate for custom ROMs and many older Android devices are usable again after doing so.

>apple forces you to use the latest iOS
>effectively forcing you to get a new iphone, as the OS is sluggish on older phones
at least you can keep using old android phones

only niggers and other low iq folk use a fucking phone as a status symbol

Wow, such compelling reasons! This must be why Android phones are the most popular smartphones in the developed world and why 90% of the people who have them are running the latest version of the OS. Oh wait.

Again, what are custom ROMs?

android fans seem to jerk themselves to death over price, so why not?

Numbers are nice, but I'm gonna keep kekking at iOS devices that are running software that was released more than a year after them (protip: they're slow)

In America, which none of the species that were listed naturally habitate.

Can I 1-click install a Nougat ROM on my Verizon Moto G1?

And both are consumerist toys that harm your privacy.

Sure thing, just keep telling yourself that, poorfag.

I'm sure only blacks buy BMWs and LV stuff.

Hahaha... the extent to which poor people will go to to justify them being poor never ceases to amaze me!

>tfw you are in that

Here are some very compelling reasons not to use Apple products:
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/apple-is-lobbying-against-your-right-to-repair-iphones-new-york-state-records-confirm
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/source-apple-will-fight-right-to-repair-legislation
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/iphone-7-home-button-unreplaceable-repair-software-lock
telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8912714/Apple-iTunes-flaw-allowed-government-spying-for-3-years.html

I don't care. My Note 4 costed as much as an iPhone when I bought it.

...And? How does that change that mean Androids are for poor people? Most of the smartphones used in ghettos are iPhones.

Why would a malware developer release nightlies, provide support for their software or write drivers for unsupported devices as was done with AOSP on S7, when they can just release a "doodle with karly" app for children and have 10 times as many victims and 10 times less work

One click installing a ROM... How are you this desperate?
youtu.be/77xrvph9dTs

t. virgin

Call me when it's the norm for Android ROMs to have respectable, responsible maintainers (think Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu) instead of forumdwelling script kiddies who get a rush off of people downloading whatever shit they pump out.

In a nutshell, the current situation is so informal and freewheeling that the FOSS aspect barely helps from a security standpoint.

Cry more. Those aren't reasons anyone cares about. I'm not a repaircuck, all companies have had some privacy issue and don't you even fucking dare bring up 1 single thing while using a fucking GOOGLE product you dumb cunt. Right to repair is horseshit, repaircucks are kikes, nobody can usually repair shit themselves anyway so its pointless. Apple's service is world leading, you'd know if you tried it.

You must stick out like a sore thumb, shitskin.

With every android phone I bought I have experienced this:

>Keep stock ROM
>Decent performance
>Proper support for hardware features, including camera quality
>Not much to have to fuck around with
>However...
>Shit can get dated, some big updates take a full year to actually come out
>Sometimes features that should be there are not present, and not accessible unless the phone is rooted (thanks motorola)
>A new update can take away advertised features, while not having that many extra features to begin with, or make the phone slower overall
>Bloatware shit, HP edition

>Root phone or put custom ROM on it
>A lot more features
>It -can- be faster at first
>Of course, a lot more control over what you have installed on that shit
>Much more up to date
>However...
>Have to rely on some community bunch of fags who could have stolen shit from someone else without you noticing
>The closer to stock and the cleaner it is, the less support for that neat unique feature your phone has there will be
>An OTA update can fuck things up for you
>It -can- also be slow as shit after 2 weeks with the same usage

I have a Galaxy S5. I still get updates every month or two. That's 3 years of security updates and more to come.
Only poorfags use their phones for longer than 3 years, right? So what in the world do you need long term updates for? Unless you're one of those iPhone users who got their phones second hand like a lot of them do.

The comparison is retarded and means absolutely nothing. If iOS was libre/gratis and other companies integrated it into their phones the same would happen. Ignore all the chink phones and you get v7 on majority of devices. You're basically comparing centralisation with decentralization where nobody is forced to follow the leader. It's correct, but means nothing.

say what you will about apple, but the useable lifetime expetancy of their devices is double that of their competitors (daily useability and smoothness of operation)

AICP ROM has a greatly organized and controlled development and they support a lot of devices. Resurrection Remix is similar, although AICP definitely has the most responsible developers.

Sure, the (((white man)))

>Cuck
>Kikes
>Cry more
And you expect to be taken seriously. Again, you can use custom ROMs, have the latest security patches, remove system applications, deny permissions, deny Internet access for apps. There are ways of fighting Google's behavior, unlike on iOS.

That's great to here. Do they have distribution and installation figured out, e.g. go to aicprom.io/, select device, click download, plug in your device, and push a button to put AICP on your phone or is it the usual "dig through forum posts, find a build that you hope is the right and up to date one, fidget around with rooting and bootloaders for a couple hours, and then maybe finally maybe install the rom"?

That last bit drove me insane while I had a Pixel C. It's so much of a mess that even the biggest shitshows of Linux distros are more smooth.

*hear

>Do they have distribution and installation figured out
As I've mentioned, it easier to install custom ROMs than it has ever been before. And aicprom.io/ this isn't their website, this is:
dwnld.aicp-rom.com/?device=axon7
And here are clear and easy to follow instructions for flashing ROMs and nightlies:
youtube.com/watch?v=dvtL33Om0MU

t. Tim Cuck

>I bought something to fix it
>and also to try make work like something else that's already available
>called iOS

I am jejing at your retarded life.

t. Sundial Bitchayy

That's a great step in the right direction, but they should really keep going. Clean up site design (not too much – what they have is a good start) and include high quality per-device instructions right on the site. Basically the experience should be like when you download Ubuntu, except with a phone ROM. At that point, they will have reached the bare minimum for mass public friendliness and rooting+flashing your Android device can become much more commonplace, even among non-technical users.

>using the same iphone for more than 1 year

t.hobo

You upgrade your Android OS when you buy a new phone. Same goes for security updates.

Android is pajeetware.

Why the fuck would you buy an Android if you're not going to use custom ROMs? That's like the one advantage it has over iOS. You're on a technology board and need to have a company holding your hand and decide when and if you can update your phone?

>This must be why Android phones are the most popular smartphones in the developed world
There's not a single country in the world where iOS has more than a 50% market share, not even in the US, are you retarded?

This kills the poordroid

>California

checkmate idiot

I hope you recycle the materials of the old phones you no longer use so they can be used in manufacturing new technologies, and not simply lying around your house gathering dust.

Awww, someone that's too lazy to program for compatibility with older systems. I'll be here over with Javascript waiting for you to cry me a river.

Moto Sup Forums3, still getting LineageOS updates. Running 7.1.2 as we speak.

Not that guy, but developing for compatibility with older systems usually isn't the issue (though it can be supremely annoying when you have to work around issues that are present in x.0 but fixed in x.1).

The real issue is not being able to use new APIs until the herd has moved on to the version in question. It often means writing your own implementation of whatever the feature is, which is a lot of energy that could've been spent in better places, and chances are that your implementation isn't going to be better than what the OS provides. To make things worse, your custom implementation will eventually be scrapped in favor of the native one anyway. It's a total fucking waste.

For this reason, I'm avoiding Android with my personal projects unless the intended userbase is known for staying up to date and having reasonably new devices, and even then support will be limited to [currentversion] and [currentversion - 1].

>tfw kitkat
fite me
Although the battery is becoming shit, so I'm gonna replace it to extend the life.

iPhone 6s was released within two months of the Moto G3 and is clearly still being updated.

The fact that you're actually bragging about an Android phone from 2015 still getting updates when the iPhone 5s from 2013 is getting updated to iOS 11 without any third-party aftermarket software is symbolic of the current state of Android.

Meanwhile they already dropped official support for G4/+ and my G5+ is still stuck on January security patch

>ios 11
>on iphone 5
Bullshit, they said they wanted 64-bit apps on it only and since iphone 5 doesn't even have an 64bit cpu it makes no sense, unless they changed their minds.

I'm running Android 8 rite nao

Not 5, 5s. 5s is 64-bit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_5S

>I'm sure only blacks buy BMWs and LV stuff.
Sure is on the same price league as fucking phones.

When you can buy a high-end phone with fully customizable and upgradeable OS for 400$
VS
a mediocre phone with a locked down OS that functions like a toy and is gonna stop receiving updates for 700$

you're just stupid for not getting the 400$ one, not rich.

Why are Android manufacturers not updating their phones to the latest OS version? If Apple can update phones from five years back (iPhone 5s is from 2013, still about to get updated to the upcoming iOS 11), why is it so difficult for Android manufacturers to do the same?

Holy shit, give me one single android phone that has been supported since 2013.

no fucking way.
I updated one of my iOS devices and it became practically unusable. Slow as fuck. I think I only managed to coerce 2 years of use out of it. My current android phone is that old and the only reason I'd like to switch it to something else is a need for bigger screen.

Absolutely none of them.

GOOGLE BTFO AND BANKRUPTED
HOW WILL ANDROIDFAGS EVER RECOVER

>practically unusable
but that's wrong

I am just flying by, to tell you, that your retarded life made my day. You are actually the most retarded thing that i have read today. Thanks.

Or since 2014...

>29.7% of Android users running 4.x or earlier
>nearly 1/3rd of all Android users are running a 3-year-old version of Android or earlier

Good grief, imagine the torture developers have to go through to make sure their software supports these guys.

You can uninstall (yes, uninstall, not hide) standard apps from your iPad or iPhone since iOS 10 but okay.

Google should just lock out everyone running any version of Android older than 2 years old from using the Play Store, and make sure OEMs update all of their newer devices for at least 2 years.

Kek, those poor Pajeets will be angry as fuck. I can see it now. Riots because niggers, pajeets & chinks can't into the Play Store.

>no replies

panjeedroid shills btfo

Most developers just say "Fuck you" and make the android version requirement 4 and above.

But some things he wrote can't be done with iOS.
Or are you just shitposting.

They should make it Android 6 and above. Running versions of Android older than that is a security risk. Users need a hard incentive to upgrade.

/thread

>But some things he wrote can't be done

Then you shouldn't be doing them.

Oh wow, it's soooo impressive that they manage to keep their less than 10 phones alive! Meanwhile Samsung releases 30+ android devices each year and still updates ones from 2014.
Your iSheeple arguments are this
>android is used by poorfags only
>android doesn't have 3+ year updates
But who other than poorfags uses the same phone for over 4 years? You do realize your arguments pretty much cancel each other out?

Samsung galaxy s5 . Received an update on April 1st, 2017.

Just face the fact that most android manufactures only ship android because it doesn't cost them a penny, and only release a device to be sold short term. This doesn't mean a flaw in android, only those companies. An actual comparison should be Google's phones vs Apple's. Or Samsung/Sony vs Apple.

And all this crying when 50% windows users use windows 7, which is even more outdated and vulnerable than android.
Overall android is a much better OS than iOS and puts it to shame in terms of functionality.

does this include shit like airplane seats?

get fucked lagdroid shill

Uhum...

>Options are bad
>Apple knows what's best for me

>Meanwhile Samsung releases 30+ android devices each year

Why are they releasing so many devices in such a short time? They're only saturating the market and with so many devices, they can't possibly keep up with their products. "Release it and forget it" just doesn't work for customer satisfaction.

One phone for budget, another for mid-range and the flagship. Do the same for tablets. Much better to manage and update their products that way.

When you have to reload web page every single fucking time you try to multi-task I consider it unusuable.

People keep buying those phones since Samsung is saturating a lot of niche markets where anyone will find something appealing, especially in the budget segment where they have to make compromises.

To be fair they got pretty clear with their naming scheme lately, with A,C,J,On 3/5/7

> C10 pro is better than any A